PDA

View Full Version : New Omnibus collection of Mirage's Usagi series (and some of Dark Horse's)

John Pannozzi
05-09-2014, 06:12 AM
Hey, ya'll, Dark Horse is finally going to release an omnibus of the Usagi comics they hold the publishing rights to, namely all 16 issues of the Mirage series (including the crossover with the Turtles), and the first six issues of their own UY series. It'll be called The Usagi Yojimbo Saga Book 1.

More info, along with cover art can be found here (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/08/usagi-yojimbo-new-series-new-collection-new-omnibus/).

DrSpengler
05-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Makes me wish the damn Fantagraphics special edition omnibus from just a couple years ago wasn't out of print so I could try and get everything from the start.

Rat_King
05-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Keep an eye on eBay for the first special edition. I lucked out and picked it up brand new for cover price. I've seen it pop up a couple times for cover price or not much more.

DrSpengler
05-09-2014, 07:17 AM
Thanks; I'll keep my eyes peeled.

It was one of those things I lollygagged on and hadn't expected to go out of print so quickly.

Bobby Curnow
05-09-2014, 09:26 AM
That fantagraphics book is fantastic— definitely worth keeping an eye out for.

DrSpengler
05-09-2014, 09:45 AM
I've never been disappointed in a Fantagraphics hardcover collection I've bought (their Disney stuff is beyond superb), so I figure the Usagi Special Edition would be a class act.

I'll keep a steady eBay vigil.

Rat A Tat
05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I will second that the Fantagraphics book is very nicely put together and one of my favorite books in my collection.

I'm super stoked that DH is picking up with FG left off and starting to reprint UY in large format. I'll definitely be grabbing the hardcover edition of this bad boy and any subsequent releases.

UY monthlies are also coming back in August!

Mayhem
05-09-2014, 12:57 PM
If I'd realised how quickly and how small the print run the Fantagraphics SE for Usagi would sell out, I might have purchased more than one at the time heh... Stan sold his last copy of it within 30 minutes of Preview Night starting at SDCC last year for $200 iirc....

wilddiverse
05-09-2014, 04:59 PM
It doesn't say at the link, but should we assume the omnibus will be reprinting vol.2 #1-16 in black & white instead of in color as originally offered?

DK2
05-11-2014, 10:13 PM
I was hoping to try out Mirage's run of Usagi and now this may do the deal. I've only read the first trade book of Usagi from Fantagraphics and I actually met Stan Sakai at a Calgary Fan Expo 3-4 years ago. He drew a sketch on the first page. I didn't even ask him for that just wanted him to sign it. He was so gracious doing that. I'll cherish that now. But with Dark Horse doing this new trade would it not be in color? I'd hate it to be black and white. I thought I'd order from Mirages run as back issues but their actually missing the first 3 issues and then theres two mini series runs of Space Usagi. Have those ever been collected anywhere?

Mayhem
05-12-2014, 02:08 AM
All the comics have been available in trades to date, and all three of the Space Usagi stories (two runs of three comics by Mirage, and one run of three comics by Dark Horse) were collected in their own trade in the late 90s.

wilddiverse
05-12-2014, 04:25 AM
Nineteen issues of the Mirage volumes of Usagi (16 issues) and Space Usagi (3 issues) were in color when printed as single issues- in all subsequent collections the artwork has been presented in black & white.

It doesn't affect the story itself, really, but it would be nice to see them in color again.

tfranzone
05-12-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm really looking forward to them offerring an early sale or the special edition limited Hardcover version of this new Omnibus .. "SAGA".. at NYCC.. being as this is released the tuesday after that weekend in October.. would be cool to get a copy there! Hope they do that! Dark Horse HCs are super nice.. the special edition of vol. 1 go for A LOT of money on eBay nowadays.. So i opted to collect 1-38 in their paperback forms.. I just got Fantagraphics Vol. 1 (2nd prnt) and Vol. 2 & 3(First Printings) for $20 on ebay! so pumped.

but this will be a great way to collect the Mirage run and the first arc of the Dark Horse Vol 3

Usagi is a great character.. I have my copy of ShellShock with one of his stories with Leo in there.. and Im also excited for the 30th anniversary art book, The Sakai Project

TheCanadiandrome
05-12-2014, 03:48 PM
must get this