View Full Version : Conkers's the bad fur day

electric_sheep
05-17-2014, 03:08 PM
qmRMwaDWFZg
Anyone else played this?
This game deserves a sequel, which will unfortanetly never happen :ohwell:

papa_smurf73
05-17-2014, 04:22 PM
I played through this game. It's especially fun, and very well put together. I'd play through it now, and still enjoy it 10 years later. Probably one of my favorite titles for the N64 console. Not to mention, it's kindly a rare game to find for the console these days.

electric_sheep
05-17-2014, 06:15 PM
I played through this game. It's especially fun, and very well put together. I'd play through it now, and still enjoy it 10 years later. Probably one of my favorite titles for the N64 console. Not to mention, it's kindly a rare game to find for the console these days.

Yeah, Emulator is the best way...

TMNT_Guy
05-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Except N64 emulation is still in it's infancy, the cutscenes don't animate right in emulators.

Eiko
05-18-2014, 01:38 AM
Love this game back in the day 2 player was the best.

electric_sheep
05-18-2014, 02:28 AM
Except N64 emulation is still in it's infancy, the cutscenes don't animate right in emulators.

I play it on Project64 it works great...

Peanut
05-18-2014, 07:10 AM

Lol what?

This game is great, but the N64 version is heavily dated. The Xbox remake is the way to play it. Although eve that is getting fairly expensive.

Ninjinister
05-18-2014, 08:11 AM

Homie, N64 emulation's been around at least 10 years. We have working Gamecube and Wii emulation now.

TMNT_Guy
05-18-2014, 09:37 PM
It's been around a long time, yes, but it's not perfect.

This game is great, but the N64 version is heavily dated. The Xbox remake is the way to play it. Although eve that is getting fairly expensive.
Eh, to me Conker's Bad Fur Day was a parody of all the cute 3D platformers at the time like Banjo, Crash, etc so the blocky polygons to me really add to the authenticity of what their parodying. Besides, the Xbox version was heavily censored.

Peanut
05-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Heavily censored? What the f*ck are you talking about? They censored "sh*t" and "twat" and little else. Did you actually play it, or did you read a Wikipedia page about it? Nothing that matters was removed or changed. They even gave Conker a more brutal weapon in the remake.

The only people who got up in arms over the "censoring" of the game are man-children who think hearing a curse word is funny and/or awesome. That or they were tripping on nostalgia.

Which is exactly what people who don't think Live and Reloaded is the definitive version of the game are doing. It looks, sounds and plays better in every way. It's a better game on Xbox. Hands down.

TMNT_Guy
05-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Yeah, it's not a bad port, I just prefer the original.

Cure
05-19-2014, 11:31 AM
It's not a port.

electric_sheep
05-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Never played the remake but i heard they took some parts out...

Peanut
05-19-2014, 12:11 PM
They didn't take out anything that's worth mentioning. The slight changes they made make the game better. For instance they significantly decrease the length and annoyance of the GMP boss fight by requiring you to throw less corn into the sh*t. They also took out a trashy swimming section and replace it with a simple switch, which is both hilarious AND far less obnoxious.

Like I said, the only people who argue the original is better are tripping on nostalgia or hung up on some mad pointless sh*t.

XERO
05-19-2014, 09:59 PM
They also took out a trashy swimming section and replace it with a simple switch, which is both hilarious AND far less obnoxious.

Which swimming section in particular?

Peanut
05-20-2014, 06:15 AM
I think you needed to get chased by an electric eel or something? I could be wrong. I haven't played either version in a very long time, but I haven't actually played through the N64 one since it came out.

XERO
05-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Ah, I know that part. It's in the "It's War" chapter where you need the eel to turn on the power.

Peanut
05-20-2014, 11:48 AM
That's exactly it. That's replaced with a simple switch. It's one of the only cuts in the remake.

electric_sheep
05-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Swiming was easily the worst part of the original game, it's dull it's hard to controll, it's boring and it goes forever so not much loss there....

LeotheLateBloomer
05-21-2014, 10:11 AM
I've actually never played this game but in this day in age, does it still hold up well? And is it better to play it on the N64 or Xbox?

With the recent news of Kinect getting slashed from Xbox One, Rare restructuring itself yet again, and the company being hit with layoffs again, who knows if fans will finally get a sequel.

Candy Kappa
05-21-2014, 10:32 AM
For some reason I've been imagining that the xbox remake was a sequel. I should probably check that game out.

Shiro Kame
05-25-2014, 11:21 AM
My cousin used to play the demo on his Xbox. I liked the part where 2 tediz are having a conversation about a bunch of different people playing this game, only to see Conker

"What the *bleep*!?"

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
07-14-2014, 03:14 PM
I've actually never played this game but in this day in age, does it still hold up well? And is it better to play it on the N64 or Xbox?

With the recent news of Kinect getting slashed from Xbox One, Rare restructuring itself yet again, and the company being hit with layoffs again, who knows if fans will finally get a sequel.

I'm replaying through the game on Xbox now, it plays much better, controlling the camera a little bit better is also worth noting. I loved playing this on the N64 and it was easily my favorite game on that system, but even with heavy nostalgia obscuring my vision, I'd still have to recommend the Xbox version over the N64 version- at least for playing it for the first time or for the first time in a while. It just is an overall better experience. That said, I plan on buying Conker's Bad Fur Day for N64 again one of these days even though I already own Conker Live and Reloaded (Xbox) just because I love the game so much and am still kicking myself for selling my N64 copy years ago... :cry:

Leo656
07-14-2014, 07:33 PM
I was lucky, I got mine for like 9 bucks at Toys R Us (why this game of all games was selling at Toys R Us on the clearance rack right next to the Barbie games, I'unno) just a few months after it came out. Really lucked out, because it really wasn't selling well at all at the time but I hear it's gotten a little harder to find since then. I really should go back and mess with it again. Been a long time.

I'll probably pick up the remake eventually.

Peanut
07-14-2014, 10:35 PM
You found it for $9 a few months after it came out? Considering it was one of, if not the most, expensive N64 games to manufacture I find that hard to believe. I actually distinctly remember waiting forever for it to drop from its $80 price tag and it never happened. It simply sold what little stock there was and never got another printing. If one was hanging around long enough to go on that deep of a discount I'm dumbfounded. Especially in the speed at which you're claiming.

Leo656
07-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Can't remember entirely, maybe "a few" months was too narrow a window but I'm almost positive it was the same calendar year. I was as surprised as anyone, frankly. They had a bunch of copies too. They were probably just clearing out all their N64 stock. Believe it or not, around here (central NJ) Toys R Us used to be an awesome spot for finding game stuff that was hard to find anywhere else, and way cheaper.

That specific Toys R Us had some nice "buried treasures" as far as games, because nobody except really little kids used to go there for games at all. There was a FuncoLand/Electronics Boutique/EB Games/Gamestop (seemed to change every two years or so) about 3 minutes away, and like clockwork I'd always go there first, find something I wanted was sold out, then find it at Toys R Us with no problem. Especially N64 and Gamecube stuff. They used to do stupid crazy discounts on their N64 stuff, especially towards the end, because nobody went near that stuff, it just clogged up the back wall and you'd see everything marked way, way down. Conker was one I actually picked up that day specifically for that reason, it wasn't really on my radar before as I'd seen it more or less full-priced everywhere else, but I definitely wasn't going to pass it up for 9-10 bucks.

They moved a few years back and I haven't been to the new one, so I don't know if they're still good for that kind of thing. If I had to guess, though, that time they were probably getting rid of stuff that wasn't moving.

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
07-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Can't remember entirely, maybe "a few" months was too narrow a window but I'm almost positive it was the same calendar year. I was as surprised as anyone, frankly. They had a bunch of copies too. They were probably just clearing out all their N64 stock. Believe it or not, around here (central NJ) Toys R Us used to be an awesome spot for finding game stuff that was hard to find anywhere else, and way cheaper.

That specific Toys R Us had some nice "buried treasures" as far as games, because nobody except really little kids used to go there for games at all. There was a FuncoLand/Electronics Boutique/EB Games/Gamestop (seemed to change every two years or so) about 3 minutes away, and like clockwork I'd always go there first, find something I wanted was sold out, then find it at Toys R Us with no problem. Especially N64 and Gamecube stuff. They used to do stupid crazy discounts on their N64 stuff, especially towards the end, because nobody went near that stuff, it just clogged up the back wall and you'd see everything marked way, way down. Conker was one I actually picked up that day specifically for that reason, it wasn't really on my radar before as I'd seen it more or less full-priced everywhere else, but I definitely wasn't going to pass it up for 9-10 bucks.

They moved a few years back and I haven't been to the new one, so I don't know if they're still good for that kind of thing. If I had to guess, though, that time they were probably getting rid of stuff that wasn't moving.

Our Walmart here is kinda like that. They'll have stuff on a really good clearance while every other Walmart has that item at full price. It's like certain stores just don't have the clientele for certain items and resort to clearancing items that are selling well at other locations.

TheBlueTurtle1
08-23-2014, 08:06 AM
If someone asked me what my fav video game, I would say Conker's Bad Fur Day. I love this game and always play it every year.

oldmanwinters
08-23-2014, 08:13 AM
I still remember Conker when he was young and innocent back in the days of Diddy Kong Racing. My, how that boy changed...

Prowler
08-23-2014, 10:04 AM
This game, alongside Perfect Dark, were the biggest Rare N64 games that I have never gotten the chance to try out. I also haven't tried Banjo-Tooie nor that Mickey game, but those weren't as big... well maybe the Banjo-Kazooie sequel was.

Always been curious about this game, but it's hard for me to play games from the 32-64 bit era nowadays that I have not played back in the day. How well has it aged compared to the other big N64 titles? Sure, they all show their age and arent' as impressive and fun as they were back in the mid-late 90s but the fact is that I still can play the likes of Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Banjo-Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing and look past their graphics; but find Pilotwings 64 and Blast Corps a bit hard to play through nowadays. I've heard that DK 64 has aged pretty badly, but I can't say since I haven't played it in literally a decade or over.

Dawnatello Turtle Chick
08-25-2014, 05:31 PM
This game, alongside Perfect Dark, were the biggest Rare N64 games that I have never gotten the chance to try out. I also haven't tried Banjo-Tooie nor that Mickey game, but those weren't as big... well maybe the Banjo-Kazooie sequel was.

Always been curious about this game, but it's hard for me to play games from the 32-64 bit era nowadays that I have not played back in the day. How well has it aged compared to the other big N64 titles? Sure, they all show their age and arent' as impressive and fun as they were back in the mid-late 90s but the fact is that I still can play the likes of Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Banjo-Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing and look past their graphics; but find Pilotwings 64 and Blast Corps a bit hard to play through nowadays. I've heard that DK 64 has aged pretty badly, but I can't say since I haven't played it in literally a decade or over.

I played Donkey Kong 64 back in the day and recently got it again and played on it a bit. While it hasn't aged quite as well as some of the others, it is miles ahead of some of the other N64 titles like Armorines, Goldeneye. Goldeneye was just amazing back then, but it aged horribly. Perfect Dark aged better than Goldeneye, but still didn't age as gracefully as some others. I guess all in all Donkey Kong 64 is still very playable but don't expect it to feel as good as Mario 64 & Ocarina of Time, etc.

TheBlueTurtle1
08-26-2014, 06:31 AM
I love Donkey 64, I went through it again about 2 months ago, I think it's held up very well. Love the end battle with K. rool.

Prowler
08-27-2014, 05:58 PM
I love Donkey 64, I went through it again about 2 months ago, I think it's held up very well. Love the end battle with K. rool.
I never got to complete it. Plus, I couldn't beat that damn factory boss. But strangely enough you could battle King K. Rool without beating every single boss before him. And yes, the battle was funny.

My favorite stage was probably the one of the ocean and pirates. Also loved Crystal Caves and its BGM.

But yeah, as a whole, it wasn't as memorable nor didn't have a unique feel to it like the DKC series for the SNES did. Plus, it felt very similar to Banjo-Kazooie.

TheBlueTurtle1
08-28-2014, 12:37 AM
I never got to complete it. Plus, I couldn't beat that damn factory boss. But strangely enough you could battle King K. Rool without beating every single boss before him. And yes, the battle was funny.

My favorite stage was probably the one of the ocean and pirates. Also loved Crystal Caves and its BGM.

But yeah, as a whole, it wasn't as memorable nor didn't have a unique feel to it like the DKC series for the SNES did. Plus, it felt very similar to Banjo-Kazooie.

I loved the fact it was just like a Banjo game, since that series (and yes even NUTs and BOLTs) are amoung my top games of all time.

I loved the 3 new Apes to that game, Lanky Kong is amazing, can't understand why he is not a mario kart character, or even a Smash Bros fighter!

You could complete the game by only collecting a certain amount of Gold Nanners if you wanted, but I had to get them all!

Peanut
08-28-2014, 07:24 AM
I love Donkey 64, I went through it again about 2 months ago, I think it's held up very well.

Lawl nah, dawg.

TheBlueTurtle1
08-28-2014, 08:37 AM
Lawl nah, dawg.

???????????????????:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell::roll:

The Stryker
08-28-2014, 09:06 AM
Out of all the Rare adventure games, DK64 has easily aged the worst.

It's very clunky, bloated and sorta ugly somehow.

Peanut
08-28-2014, 09:11 AM
It's awful. It has aged so poorly as to become almost unplayable. It's hideous and runs at like 10 FPS. Not to mention how convoluted the game was in general. I thought it was kind of nonsense when it came out, but because it was like a $90 game I played the sh*t out of it. Looking back it's almost parody of the collect-a-thon platformers of the time. This says nothing of how rushed and poorly optimized (straight from devs mouths) the game was. They had no choice but to ship it with the expansion pak, because it would crash constantly and Rare had ZERO idea how to fix it. It's a rushed product, on top of being poorly designed.

I guess what I'm saying is it wasn't very good THEN, but it's much worse now.

Storm Eagle
08-28-2014, 01:33 PM
I played Donkey Kong 64 back in the day and recently got it again and played on it a bit. While it hasn't aged quite as well as some of the others, it is miles ahead of some of the other N64 titles like Armorines, Goldeneye. Goldeneye was just amazing back then, but it aged horribly. Perfect Dark aged better than Goldeneye, but still didn't age as gracefully as some others. I guess all in all Donkey Kong 64 is still very playable but don't expect it to feel as good as Mario 64 & Ocarina of Time, etc.

Donkey Kong 64 is so-so, but my favorite game of the series would have to be DKC2 hands down.

I remember when some of the tasks were near impossible for me to do, such as beating that rabbit with Lanky Kong for the second time. Then I just picked it up again one day and was able to do the remaining things a lot easier and completed everything.

Now Super Mario 64. That's one game I ought to set some time aside to play again. I got my cartridge as well as the box signed by Charles Martinet himself a few years ago.

The battle with K. Rool was kind of fun. I think my favorite part was with Tiny Kong when you go into his shoes and shoot his toes.

Prowler
08-28-2014, 02:21 PM
It's awful. It has aged so poorly as to become almost unplayable. It's hideous and runs at like 10 FPS. Not to mention how convoluted the game was in general. I thought it was kind of nonsense when it came out, but because it was like a $90 game I played the sh*t out of it. Looking back it's almost parody of the collect-a-thon platformers of the time. This says nothing of how rushed and poorly optimized (straight from devs mouths) the game was. They had no choice but to ship it with the expansion pak, because it would crash constantly and Rare had ZERO idea how to fix it. It's a rushed product, on top of being poorly designed.

I guess what I'm saying is it wasn't very good THEN, but it's much worse now.
It did feel kinda rushed, yes. And even as a kid I thought it went overboard with the collecting thing. Collecting stuff in Banjo didn't feel much like a chore.

I guess someone who had grown up playing the DKC series must have felt pretty disappointed when DK64 came out.

I liked it and all but it certainly wasn't as memorable as other N64 titles such as Banjo-Kazooie, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, GoldenEye, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox 64, etc.

judasghost
09-11-2014, 10:17 PM
i remember playing through the single-player back in the day. i bought another N64 just to play this game. the multiplayer is so freaken good. some buddies and i spent a lot of hours boozing and playing Beach, Heist, and Raptor.