PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo adding GameCube Controller support on the Wii U

TigerClaw
05-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Nintendo just announced that, The Wii U will support GameCube controllers, Using an Adapter.
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-made-a-gamecube-controller-adapter-for-wii-u-1583342868

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--hi4cm2zV--/w7cdmvxuvqitg7p4ptzq.jpg

Donatello19
05-29-2014, 01:26 PM
This is great news! I've always been best with a GC controller on SSB.

Candy Kappa
05-29-2014, 01:29 PM
nice, should have been a part of the hardware like the standard Wii, but it's nice to see they made an adapter.

I wonder if it's usable for the black Wii, as that one is also missing the outputs for GC controls.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
05-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Quite good to see Nintendo acknowledge the Gamecube again.

Peanut
05-29-2014, 01:52 PM
So weird. I hope this means they're going to sell new Gamecube controllers, because my Wavebird has some issues now and the rest of my GC controllers are on their last legs.

TMNT_Guy
05-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Huh, I was just thinking of getting those new third-party/bootleg controllers last night. I guess I'll just wait for the real thing. Really great news.

I hope this thing is compatible with other Wii and Wii U games. It would be awesome to use this with Mario Kart 8 or Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

chrisdude
05-31-2014, 05:18 PM
I've got friends that are totally excited about this. I've never seen such attachment to a controller. Then again, I've never seen any console maker change the controller so drastically, from system the system...

I use the controller when I play Melee, but I really don't dig it. I never bought a Wii, but I will be getting a Wii U at some point in the future. And I'll probably just play with the Pro controller. The only reason I still use a gamecube controller when I play brawl with my friends, is because the face button layout is so distinctive, it's really hard to adjust to normal controllers. Can you imagine switching back-and-forth, every day, between the 3DS and the GameCube controller?

sdp
05-31-2014, 10:14 PM
I like the Gamecube controller a lot, it felt like a true evolution to the controller that generation unlike the PS2/Xbox controllers. However it's not perfect and I wish the pro controller had been inspired more by it, the analog placement is perfect, jut change the C stick to a normal stick. Have a usable D-Pad and make the B button bigger a little and the A smaller smaller. The A button was too big, but they were on the right track that it has to be the biggest button.

I'm unsure how I feel about this controller however I love it for the fact that i can now attach this to it:
http://retrorgb.com/images/Wii4in1Adapter01.jpg
I'll be able to play every VC console in their original controller (NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/Atari), using the original controller actually means a lot to me.

So weird. I hope this means they're going to sell new Gamecube controllers, because my Wavebird has some issues now and the rest of my GC controllers are on their last legs.
Huh, I was just thinking of getting those new third-party/bootleg controllers last night. I guess I'll just wait for the real thing. Really great news.

I have the regular one from the console and a Wavebird, they're both decent but I'd definitely buy a new one. I think they might do it but only online? I hope so, I've tried one of those "new" gamecube controllers that are bootleg and they definitely don't feel the same, they feel very cheap.

CyberCubed
05-31-2014, 10:15 PM
It would be nice if this means Gamecube games on the Virtual Console, but I doubt it.

Sadly I locked my Wii away and I can't play my Gamecube collection on the Wii-U. Does anyone know if the Wii-U could run Gamecube discs if Nintendo updates it or something? Or is the architecture incompatible?

I'm not too keen on the technology aspect of consoles so I don't know how this works.

Ultimate Ninja
06-01-2014, 01:15 PM
It would be nice if this means Gamecube games on the Virtual Console, but I doubt it.

Sadly I locked my Wii away and I can't play my Gamecube collection on the Wii-U. Does anyone know if the Wii-U could run Gamecube discs if Nintendo updates it or something? Or is the architecture incompatible?

I'm not too keen on the technology aspect of consoles so I don't know how this works.

This is what I am wondering too, if the Wii U can play Gamecube games if Nintendo gives an update for the console. Now that we can use the controllers, playing Gamecube on Wii U seems like a reasonable next step. I have a lot of Gamecube games that I would like to play on Wii U.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-01-2014, 01:18 PM
If it turns out that it is structurally impossible for the Wii U to play GameCube games, then they'll certainly put some on the Virtual Console.

sdp
06-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Disc Gamecube games? because the disc drive can only fit regular sized discs. Can the Wii U run Gamecube games? Yes but only one "wii" mode, You can actually hack the Wii on Wii mode almost as easily as the original Wii, and you can run Gamecube/Wii games from a harddrive. It seems that Wii U cannot directly play Wii or Gamecube games directly on the Wii U which means you won't be able to download any Gamecube/Wii games on the store. It also cannot have a Virtual Console of sorts because it'd need to emulate the games instead of running them directly on "hardware" like they do in Wii mode. Accurate emulation actually takes a lot of horse power from a computer. So we probably won't be able to emulate Gamecube/Wii generation games well enough for Nintendo until their next system.

Similar to the problems the 3DS has, it doesn't have SNES VC games because it's just not powerful enough, sure it'd be able to run some games but far from the entire catalog. It also seems the 3DS can't emulate GBA games. The Ambassador games fans got are actually being run "on hardware" on DS mode since the DS could play GBA games directly. And for one reason or another nintendo doesn't want that to sell games that run on DS mode on the 3DS store, except the already available DSiware titles. Which is a shame frankly.

Now most of the information above is based on research I've gotten from different forum posts/articles I've read about the topic, ranging from actual developers to tech savvy people but there's also a bunch of enthusiasts information out there so it's hard to know what all is true until a Nintendo engineer actually comments on the problem which is unlikely. I say this because in many forums/internet discussions a lot of speculation is posted over and over again and after sometime you see it being posted as fact, I absolutely hate this since it creates a lot of misinformation. For years fans speculated that Earthbound couldn't be released in the US for legal reasons and the game came out, so there might've been a problem but the music rights one which everyone believed seems to not have been as big of an issue as reported by fans over the years and stated as fact. There are many similar instances with similar things and people like to create logical explanations as to why, like the Super FX chip games. The only fact we know from that is that something stops Nintendo from releasing them, whether it's rights or the inability to emulate them correctly is all speculation.

To go on topic again while I love the idea of the Gamecube controller port this is so confusing to the non-enthusiast, the Wii U can now use the Tablet controller, Wii remote, Wii remote plus, Wii U Classic Controller Pro, Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro, and now this...sure most of those aren't relevant anymore but you can still find some of those in stores and even with just the Tablet/wiimote+/WiiUClassicControllerPro there's enough confusion, since I don't think they'll be pushing this Gamecube adapter a lot on stores. Don't get me wrong I hope I'll be able to use this USB adapter in the future and all Bluetooth controllers in future consoles since it shouldn't be a big issue to update to allow the choice.

Peanut
06-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Oh...my...I...I just passed out from those last few posts. Holy sh*t.

Prowler
06-01-2014, 07:25 PM

Wow way to make me dream, man.

CyberCubed
06-01-2014, 09:18 PM
The Wii-U virtual console is the biggest disappointment of the system. Its hard to believe how much better the Wii Virtual Console was handled.

It makes you wonder what the hell is going on.

chrisdude
06-02-2014, 04:03 AM
The Wii-U virtual console is the biggest disappointment of the system. Its hard to believe how much better the Wii Virtual Console was handled.

It makes you wonder what the hell is going on.Every worker Nintendo employs is busy. They're all crammed in one room, developing one game at a time, each 6-12 months after its intended release.

sdp
06-02-2014, 09:54 AM
The VC was a huge missed opportunity with the Wii but Nintendo somehow outdid themselves with their current consoles and actually made it worse. How is the release schedule worse than on the Wii. If they can't get third parties to join on the VC it probably means it has to be remodeled so it's cheaper for them. Sega would love to sell their Genesis titles again, if they aren't there it's because it's probably because Nintendo is being greedy. I mean they're probably charging more than what Apple is and setting restrictions that they can only sell it at the same price as a SNES title or something. It makes no sense for Sega not to be all over it when they port their Genesis catalog to any device that can and sell as low as they have to. N64 titles seemed not to be the best emulated games on the Wii but they worked more than fine and the Wii U should have less of a problem, I have no idea why they aren't there, Iwata has only mentioned it once during an investors meeting but officially they've never announced to the public that N64 VC was coming to Wii U...DS was announced and will come out before it looks like..Even without third parties Nintendo could be releasing more titles on VC there's still NES and GB/C games they can release and they choose not to, no excuse when they keep porting flipping Urban Champion, but they have yet to port other better received NES/GB games...or fix issues they have with others. I'd gladly pay $10 for SNES Yoshi's Island if it's a licensing cost. They already did that with Earthbound. Not to mention the prices and lack of sales. The only way that I'd be willing to happily pay the full price of VC games is if Nintendo announces a unified account system. I'd even pay more if it meant that I'd never have to pay for it again in future consoles/portables by Nintendo.

BTW who is making an E3 thread? I'd like to post some safe and some crazy predictions before E3.

Peanut
06-02-2014, 02:20 PM
You guys...just...stop talking. Please!

Ultimate Ninja
06-02-2014, 06:11 PM
You guys...just...stop talking. Please!

Okay, but I also want to say that it would be cool if Nintendo would make some NES 8-Bit video game controllers that are wireless, or release an adapter to use the 8-bit controllers.

snake
06-02-2014, 06:18 PM
I'd be up for some Gamcube games on the VC.

Metroid
07-15-2014, 11:39 AM
I think that is a great idea, i mean i loved the controller, its the best from the old consoles except for the Play Station controller, i really like how the Gamecube controller has been compatible with almost all of Nintendo's Consoles so far.