PDA

View Full Version : Marvel To "Rest" Fantastic Four?

ZariusTwo
05-31-2014, 09:54 AM
As Marvel gear up for it's 75th anniversary, the cast of the world's greatest comics magazine seem like they will be frozen out of the celebrations, with the possibility also that their mainstream and Ultimate universe books will be folded in order to sabotauge the upcoming FOX reboot

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/05/30/marvels-brevoort-on-fantastic-four-cancellation-rumors-does-this-even-seem-remotely-plausible/

TheSkeletonMan939
05-31-2014, 10:03 AM
I don't trust Fox to handle FF correctly. They very nearly messed up X-Men. Anything to get Marvel the rights back is OK in my book.

ZariusTwo
05-31-2014, 02:54 PM
Well, there is also the fact FF's sales have been terrible the last few years. The FOX thing could just giving them a good excuse to save face with fans by having them think it's to specificly get back the rights.

Blackeyedsonic
05-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Dude with Disney at the helm I'm not surprised they are doing cheap stuff like this

ZariusTwo
06-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Rob Lifeld has weighed in on the rumors by bringing up the state of the promotional tie-ins (or lack thereof) for FOX's X-Men movie

"X-Men: Days of Future Past will match If not exceed The Amazing Spider-Man 2Ďs domestic box office, meaning lots of eyeballs, but there are no toy tie-ins. The Fox shut out is real.

Itís not money that matters in this strategy, itís the hearts and minds of kids/toy buyers, not-too-subtly communicating whatís ďimportant.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 toys everywhere, X-Men Ė zippo. No promotions from toy aisles. Starve those properties. Makes X-Men [box office] comeback impressive!

No emotion in these facts/reporting, itís just numbers and business. But the messages are clear.

X-Men: Days of Future Past toys would get in the way of upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy onslaught of toys.

Bottom line, itís a ballsy move to downgrade properties with high profile, big budget support in favor of stuff you control wholesale. Gotta respect it. And equal respect to those properties slugging it out without equal support across multiple platforms.

You gotta understand, I love this stuff!! I love the business of comic films/brands and the unique situation Marvel has with their licenses.

My un-informed prediction: Sony will split producing/financing w/Marvel on next Spidey film and open door for inclusion in Avengers 3."

MsMarvelDuckie
06-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Interesting. If this is true, perhaps my wish/prediction of Marvel regaining the rights to all of its other movie properties could become reality. One can only hope!!!

CyberCubed
06-01-2014, 05:03 PM
I don't trust Fox to handle FF correctly. They very nearly messed up X-Men. Anything to get Marvel the rights back is OK in my book.

Only 2 of the 7 X-men films were subpar. I don't see how Fox is doing bad since the majority of X-men films were well received.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-01-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm guessing you mean X-3 and First Class? Those are the two that I was most disappointed with.

Candy Kappa
06-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Both FF movies, X-Men 2, X-3, Origins is just trash, I'd love to see Fox loose the movie rights to both FF and X-Men.

sdp
06-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Why do people want Marvel to have the rights to all their superheroes? Disney won't magically start making even more Marvel movies, it just means we'll get less movies from lesser known heroes and more from Spider-Man/X-Men characters. Also Disney has been dropping the ball lately with their upcoming Marvel film plans so it's not like Marvel Studios is the great big hope anymore. Personally Fox has handled X-Men pretty well, they haven't really rebooted and any weird continuity hiccups only means that they're staying true to the X-Men franchise.

At first I thought it was a stupid move since I feel the movies would help comic books sales but the merchandising thing makes a lot of sense. If the reboot of F4 failed I'm sure they would've given the rights back, but now I think they'll try even harder to keep it. It's not like the X-Men or Spider-Man make any sense in the Avengers. If Fox had Captain America or Ant-Man it'd make sense

NinjaPug
06-01-2014, 06:19 PM
So how would discontinuing their comics get the movie rights back? It's not like the FF reboot is relying on new FF comics to be successful.

It's pretty obvious that Marvel and Fox despise each other though.

CyberCubed
06-01-2014, 06:49 PM
I'm guessing you mean X-3 and First Class? Those are the two that I was most disappointed with.

LOL, First Class was probably the best film in the franchise. How the hell are you disappointed with that?

I of course meant X-men Origins Wolverine, and X-3.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-02-2014, 11:01 PM
LOL, First Class was probably the best film in the franchise. How the hell are you disappointed with that?

I of course meant X-men Origins Wolverine, and X-3.

Ugh, that film failed on so many levels I can't even list them all, but here's a few:

First off, it took characters that are second and even THIRD-gen mutants, and lumped them in with the "original" X-Men. Seriously?! Beast, Banshee, and Havok are certainly of the same generation and "class" as Cyclops, Jean, and Iceman (who are ALL original members of the team, BTW), but Darwin and Angel Salvadore were third-gen members of the New Mutants team. It also misused half the characters it featured. As an example, Darwin's abilities are far more powerful and versatile than the movie suggested, as he has been able to survive even in space, by adapting his body to the surrounding environment. He can and HAS absorbed energy just as powerful as what was used against him in the movie. (ie- Havok's solar-based beams, which are no different than Cyclops', just from a different part of his body. They are BROTHERS, after all.) He should NOT have been killed by that. What a waste of a very interesting and versatile character.

Also, the movie implied that Xavier and Magneto encountered Emma Frost and Sabastain Shaw early in their careers, when in the comics, the Hellfire Club and its Inner Circle was not even interoduced until the Pheonix Saga! And there were other major continuity gaffes. The original "first class" team was Beast, Jean, Iceman, Cyc, and Angel(I mean Warren Worthington, not the Pixie wanna-be). That's IT. For the life of me, I don't even know why "Angel" Salvadore was even IN the movie, as she was not only not born at that time (and neither was Darwin) but is a third-tier mutant AT BEST! Pixie herself would have been a better choice, as she has some of the same "basic" power-set and a similar appearance(fairy-like wings, etc), but is better known, and has the added ability of teleportation. But even she is still a third-gen mutant. It makes no sense to use those characters, because they haven't been around very long in the comics, and they are not well known outside of die-hard fans. And it is die-hard fans who objected to their use in the first place! It would have made more sense to use someone like Dazzler, Magick, Vulcan, or Psylocke. They've all been around much longer, and have far more history. In fact, Dazzler would have been a perfect choice, since she has a direct link to the Hellfire Club, as she was being courted by them as a member when she was introduced in the beginning of the Phoenix Saga. And she has a similar background as an entertainer (singer) to Salvadore.

One of the FEW things that movie got "right" was hinting at the future of Mystique after joining Magneto's group at the end- because Azazel is the father of Nightcrawler, who is, of course, Mystique's son. However, Azazel is NOT EVEN A MUTANT!! He is in fact a demon, so the movie even flubbed that one. Also, by attempting to combine the storylines of the Hellfire Club and Magneto's descent into tyranny and arrogant superiority, they shoved too much into one film, and caused serious wrinkles in their own continuity! (As well as mucking up the continuity known to most fans.....) Not only that, but using Emma in that movie directly contradicted their earlier use of her at the end of Wolverine: Origins, as she was one of the ones rescued from the facility run by Stryker. You can't have it both ways. Origins tied her into the X-Men as Scott's future wife and co-leader, while First Class went with her background in the Hellfire Club as a villain. They cancel each other out.

CyberCubed
06-02-2014, 11:27 PM
First off, it took characters that are second and even THIRD-gen mutants, and lumped them in with the "original" X-Men. Seriously?! Beast, Banshee, and Havok are certainly of the same generation and "class" as Cyclops, Jean, and Iceman (who are ALL original members of the team, BTW)

How is this a valid complaint? Its a movie that has to condense a comic universe going on for 60+ years. The cast of characters they chose were great, and they definitely don't need to be the same age as Jean, Scott, etc.

Also, the movie implied that Xavier and Magneto encountered Emma Frost and Sabastain Shaw early in their careers, when in the comics, the Hellfire Club and its Inner Circle was not even interoduced until the Pheonix Saga! And there were other major continuity gaffes. The original "first class" team was Beast, Jean, Iceman, Cyc, and Angel(I mean Warren Worthington, not the Pixie wanna-be).

So your entire complaint is because, "it wasn't like this in the comics." Yeah. I have no idea why the hell you would expect a movie to do the same thing as a tired and dated comic franchise especially what the earlier X-men comics were like in the 70's.

First Class was not only a fantastic X-men film, it was one of the best films of the last decade.

ZariusTwo
06-03-2014, 05:12 AM
More denials than Tom Brevroot, but there's some interesting wording in there

We are publishing Fantastic Four. Next month, we will be publishing Fantastic Four. A year from now, assuming that it's still selling well, we will be publishing Fantastic Four.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a575099/marvels-tom-brevoort-responds-to-fantastic-four-cancellation-rumours.html#~oG7HMWPChzQJS7

Zulithe
06-03-2014, 05:18 AM
More denials than Tom Brevroot, but there's some interesting wording in there

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a575099/marvels-tom-brevoort-responds-to-fantastic-four-cancellation-rumours.html#~oG7HMWPChzQJS7

Well... dang.

A big part of me wishes they would cancel it or do anything they can within their power to stop fox from ruining the FF brand further with this new film they announced.

Then relaunch it strong once Fox's rights expire :(

MsMarvelDuckie
06-09-2014, 07:46 PM
How is this a valid complaint? Its a movie that has to condense a comic universe going on for 60+ years. The cast of characters they chose were great, and they definitely don't need to be the same age as Jean, Scott, etc.

So your entire complaint is because, "it wasn't like this in the comics." Yeah. I have no idea why the hell you would expect a movie to do the same thing as a tired and dated comic franchise especially what the earlier X-men comics were like in the 70's.

First Class was not only a fantastic X-men film, it was one of the best films of the last decade.

You're missing the point here. Some of those characters weren't even ALIVE yet during the time-frame of First Class. They are not PART of the "First Class" of Xavier's school, which is what that movie is SUPPOSED to be about!! So, yes. My BIGGEST complaint is that they shouldn't have even BEEN in that story! (Aside from the complaint regarding the fact that the characters weren't even used according to their potential in the story to begin with, with several of them being completely OOC or just made useless or pointless, with little development of insight into their actual character. Case in point- "Angel" was actually just a minor mutant who ended up married to a fellow X-student named Beak, who had a bird-like appearance and some avian-based powers. She had little other importance beyond that. And like many other mutants, both she and Beak lost their mutant abilities during the infamous M-Day story arc.... She was a pointless addition to the movie.)

As noted earlier, the Hellfire Club isn't even a part of the early X-Men history- they were FIRST introduced in the Phoenix Saga- you know, the story that got butchered in X-3? Shaw and Frost belonged THERE, not during Xavier and Magnus's falling out. The basic story of Magneto using his powers against the Navy was fairly true to the comics and the history of the characters, but the rest? Sorry, but half the movie simply belongs to another time-frame altogether. They crammed three decades of history into ONE story that didn't even know where it wanted to go. Who was really the villain? Mags? Shaw? They were both after the same thing here, but for some reason, we're expected to have sympathy for Magneto's perspective, when he is just as bad as Shaw was. And then there were characters who didn't even belong in the movie to begin with. Azazel WASN'T EVEN A MUTANT!!! But the movie treated him like he was, just to foreshadow his later relationship with Mystique. (Thus hinting at Nightcrawler's parentage.) Didn't you even wonder why he looked like a red Kurt? Or could teleport? This is basic X-Men history, being grossly misrepresented and shoe-horned into a story that doesn't need it.

You wonder why I complain that the movie isn't like the comics and doesn't follow its backstory and history? When Captain America did just that, and was a FAR better movie? Maybe it's because, um, if you're going to make a movie about a team of heroes, shouldn't it actually be TRUE to the material?! Not to mention how horribly they butchered Darwin's character. As someone who has read the X-Men and its various spin-off series for years, I was horribly disappointed, not only to see him in a story he was so clearly out of place in, but to see how he was USED in that story. And he was never even IN the X-Men- he was introduced in X-Factor, and only appeared in a FEW other books outside of that series, most notably in New Mutants. He was never even a player in ANY main X-Men title. Because he has only existed for a little over a decade, if that. Why use NEW characters that are not even well-known, when there are others more suitable and who have far more exposure? As I said, Dazzler would have been a more appropriate choice than Angel, and I'd have taken Warren or Vulcan over Darwin. At least they would make sense.

ZariusTwo
06-19-2014, 01:51 AM
Well, Ultimate FF is the first to be cancelled, it will fold with Issue six

http://www.newsarama.com/21381-ultimate-ff-cancelled.html

TurtleTitan97
10-05-2014, 11:48 AM
Figured I bumped this thread regarding this bit of news:

Marvel is planning to cancel the Fantastic Four comic by 2015 as a way to not promote the new film: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=108727

As a FF fan for years, I think this is a pretty dumb idea. :roll: It's one thing to not promote it in the comics, but to just straight up cancel it?

ObiWanFan4life
10-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Figured I bumped this thread regarding this bit of news:

Marvel is planning to cancel the Fantastic Four comic by 2015 as a way to not promote the new film: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=108727

As a FF fan for years, I think this is a pretty dumb idea. :roll: It's one thing to not promote it in the comics, but to just straight up cancel it?

Why? What if the reboot bombs at the box office? Than the rights may go back to Marvel and we'll finally get a fantastic four movie that doesn't suck.

TheSkeletonMan939
10-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Oh come on. I'm sure the FF movie has something to do with it, but it's not entirely a plot to destroy the film. Think about it: Thor is a woman now, Wolverine is dead (or near death)... Marvel is trying to shake things up in general.

TigerClaw
10-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Why? What if the reboot bombs at the box office? Than the rights may go back to Marvel and we'll finally get a fantastic four movie that doesn't suck.
What if it becomes a huge success, Given the director behind the film, Did Chronicle, Which was pretty good.

ObiWanFan4life
10-05-2014, 01:22 PM
What if it becomes a huge success, Given the director behind the film, Did Chronicle, Which was pretty good.

It's a win-win situation.

TigerClaw
10-05-2014, 01:25 PM
It's a win-win situation.
Plus Josh Trank is going to direct one of the Star Wars spinoff films for Lucasfilms.

ZariusTwo
10-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Oh come on. I'm sure the FF movie has something to do with it, but it's not entirely a plot to destroy the film. Think about it: Thor is a woman now, Wolverine is dead (or near death)... Marvel is trying to shake things up in general.

Marvel are incapable of truly shaking things up in the wretched nexus that is the Mephistoverse/"616", they live by the golden rule of "illusion of change", everything is temporary and none of those changes ever stick or will be remembered.

In the meantime, the prophecies of this website (http://zak-site.com/Great-American-Novel/ff-2010-reboot.html) continue to come true

TheSkeletonMan939
10-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Of course. That's the issue with comics. No one ever stays dead. The only person I've read in a comic book who stayed dead forever is some idiot named "Big Wheel" who fought Spider-Man.

http://www.craveonline.com/images/stories/2011/2012/November/Film/Spider-Man_Big_Wheel.jpg