PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing outside ebay

arkangel
05-31-2014, 02:03 PM
I wanted to share a situation with my fellow dromers, mostly for advice and opinions....

There's was an auction on ebay a while back where a guy was selling 3 loose figures in a lot. I was only interested in one of them and messaged asking if he would be willing to sell it separately. Seller agreed and it's 100US which I'm happy to pay so I sent him an email letting him know and asked how he'd like to go about it.
So my question is.... Do think it's off-putting of me to ask this? I'm thrilled that he's willing to accomodate me, but the truth is I obviously don't know this guy and a 100US is a good chunk of money. Shouldn't the seller list a private auction so that there is both buyer and seller protection? or should he not simply relist the single figure and let me know when, so I can purchase it through the ebay process (again, both for his AND my protection?) Would "you" send a stranger 100US and assume it's all legit as long as the guy has a good ebay rating? I wanted to ask my fellow dromers for advice/opinions on this..

arkangel
05-31-2014, 04:26 PM
Seller listed the fig as an auction so it all worked out. I'd still like to hear opinions on this. Personally, I have no issues with buying/selling here or on the prop boards I frequent because it's a community and having a thread about your sale gives it more exposure/accountability etc. On ebay, however, you have no idea who is on the other end so it feels more comfortable going through ebay for protection purposes as opposed to not.

Comments? Opinions? Personal experiences? You answered your own question so go f-yerself Clarks? :lol:

Candy Kappa
05-31-2014, 04:37 PM
If the item is sent as a COD parcel, the person that picks up the package have to pay the fee at the post office before getting the package. Seems like the safest option instead of just transferring money over or sending the item in good faith.

Brodie
05-31-2014, 09:26 PM
I've done this a few times, and its incredibly nerve wracking regardless of how you go about it. I found a decent deal for a Revoltech a while back, and asked if the guy was still offering it. He was. We worked out the payment through paypal. it was almost a month later that I received the figure. I couldn't threaten to do much, as it was outside ebay. Luckily I got it.

Usually its easier if you A) frequent the same online posting places as the seller or B) they're fairly "known" in a certain community.

The other deal I did was with someone who had a pretty well established Youtube community, so no real worry.

ANy deal I've done with Dromers has gone smoothly as well, knock on wood.

psychturtle
06-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Can't speak for everyone but I sell quite a bit of commission work and antique smalls outside eBay. But I'm also honest and don't plan on stealing money and such.

brunobliss
06-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Getting deals sometimes is like war, no rules apply, if there's something really rare hidden in a lot, i'll do whatever i can to win it, even the nerve wrecking side offers ...

:) luckily all went well for me, but it's not something i enjoy doing tbh

Vundi
06-02-2014, 07:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken, purchasing through Paypal is protected as well. Lots of people use that for non-ebay purchases so I don't think they had much choice but to protect peoples purchases.