PDA

View Full Version : How do you want Shredder?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
06-02-2014, 09:28 AM
In your ideal TMNT universe, how do you want Shredder? This is not which characteristic sides from different version you like, but rather how and how often he appears.

Kanon
06-02-2014, 09:38 AM
I like the 2k12 Shredder the most because he is so strong and badass.
It´s not necessary for him to show up, but when he does he is a great opponent. :D

MikeandRaph87
06-02-2014, 09:43 AM
2. I am used to seeing Shredder regularly because he is the main villian. When he is not present and another threat is its usually not nearly as interesting. There are some great villians but usually fall under Shredder and/or Krang no matter the version and the foes under them acting on their own is not as interesting and there is the itch for him to show up and wipe the floor of them all. I understand surrounded by incompetence and a half working fortress allows for the ongoing threat of Shredder to be prolonged,but if he is defeated the series should end. Dregg? Dragon Lord/King Komodo? None of them are interesting and we always go back to them not being Shredder.When Chr'ell's version of Shredder was defeated his group carried on,but it was shown that Shredder whether it was a demon or virtual double he always had to be gone back to. Without Shredder a constant presence its simply not as interesting.The problem is how can Shredder be made a constant presence and still be credible.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
06-02-2014, 09:55 AM
The voice and personality of the 2k3 Shredder, but human and the look of the 1st movie Shredder.

EDIT:Sorry, misunderstood the thread.

Leofan26
06-02-2014, 11:55 AM
I'd say, mix between 2012 Shredder and 2003 Shredder.

I thought both Shredders were boss but 2012 hardly appears but whenever he does he's a pretty big threat. I personally found 2003 Shredder more threatening though but when you found out he was an alien not human it was kind of a let down.

Maybe for the next series :ohwell:

I just wish the 2012 Shredder appeared more than he does now :(

Cipher
06-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Shred's dead, baby. Shred's dead.

ABrown
06-02-2014, 02:03 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of Shredder being an utrom, but I absolutely loved the way that the 4Kids series handled the Shredder. It was exactly how I like my villains.

pennydreadful
06-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Shred's dead, baby. Shred's dead.

Ehehehehe. :lol:

I could stand to see 2k12 Shredder being around a bit more... I have no problems with Shredder losing to the Turtles/having schemes not turning out perfectly, but I do like to see him being a credible threat.

Prowler
06-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Appearing not often himself (his allies do), but when he strikes, he strikes deadly (like 2012 show)

Yep, this. I did like the fights between the Turtles and The Shredder in the 2k3 toon, though. But beyond certain point it got old and repetitive. The Shredder lost his aura after he was revealed to be a Utrom.

But I'm not sure I like the idea of getting rid of him early in the series. Shredder has pretty much become the Joker/Lex Luthor of the TMNT universe. He always comes back somehow. And despite all of the interesting villains the Turtles have faced all over these years, the best fights and the most epic arcs usually involve The Shredder. Even authors seem to have trouble moving on from him. Just look at the 2k3 series. They probably wanted to get rid of him after a couple of seasons and yet made him come back throughout the whole show.

It's almost if Shredder became the main reason for the Turtles to live/fight on.

Luckyday
06-02-2014, 09:55 PM
I need to file a confession. When it comes to appearances, I've never like the 200 pound metal armor version of the Shredder. I'm sorry guys but the damn thing looks so impractical that I can't take it with a straight face and it just looks like something that only meant to be for show with all of the pointy shoulders pads and elbows. If there is one thing (or one of the things) that I like from IDW it was that the version they had look and feel a real ninja general who can move silently to ambush and attack.

practical and subtle> flashy showboating.

When it comes to personality I like 2k3 shredder and I thought he was the best shredder until a certain point, because his personality to me was like a viper where as the others either had the demeanor of a yipping terrier or a big grouchy cat that puff up his chest to look scary but this one (2k3) was actually intimidating. He could think and plan and instead lashing out he would hold on to that angry and saved it when you had really **** up.

Cipher
06-02-2014, 11:21 PM
I need to file a confession. When it comes to appearances, I've never like the 200 pound metal armor version of the Shredder. I'm sorry guys but the damn thing looks so impractical that I can't take it with a straight face and it just looks like something that only meant to be for show with all of the pointy shoulders pads and elbows. If there is one thing (or one of the things) that I like from IDW it was that the version they had look and feel a real ninja general who can move silently to ambush and attack.

When it comes to personality I like 2k3 shredder and I thought he was the best shredder until a certain point, because his personality to me was like a viper where as the others either had the demeanor of a yipping terrier or a big grouchy cat that puff up his chest to look scary but this one (2k3) was actually intimidating. He could think and plan and instead lashing out he would hold on to that angry and saved it when you had really **** up.
I'll cosign this entire post.

Although, when it comes to the 4Kids version, I also enjoyed unhinged Ch'rell circa Turtles Forever. But overall agreed. His portrayal in the first three seasons was the way to do a genuinely threatening long-term version. None of the other versions have hit that note quite right.

Mzx10484
06-03-2014, 02:42 AM
Shredder has an impressive appearance ("badass") - and so he should also act - a serious threat, less appearances were more. But, as in the proposal called - if so, then deadly!

The Green Ranger
06-07-2014, 07:04 PM
I think less is more. He makes occasional appearances, but when he does show up, kicks their butts hardcore.

Andrew NDB
06-07-2014, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't say he was "not a big deal" in the Mirage material, defeated in the first issue or not. And he came back a couple times (and was certainly a force to be reckoned with in "Return to New York"), technically.

Refractive Reflections
06-07-2014, 07:51 PM
I didn't choose an option because none of them fully satisfied what I look for in the character.

I don't really prefer "Mirage Shredder", a Shredder being defeated so quickly, because with the premise built on seeking revenge it makes it somewhat anticlimactic to have this huge antagonist be defeated so easily when the Turtles lives have been revolved around destroying, or in the Mirage Turtles case, killing Shredder.

The staying a little longer option doesn't really suit my preference either. Plus with 2K3 Shredder being revealed as Ch'rell, it made Shredder's character nothing but a veneer by not being fully immersed in the Japanese backstory and making the Hamato Yoshi and Oroku Saki feud a sham of sorts. Plus, was the notion of Shredder really ever gone in the 2K3 series? I mean the series had to have Tengu Shredder and Cyber Shredder to create some main antagonist in the later seasons. It just seemed like a... desperate "one upping" escalation to make a newer, "more badass" version of Shredder as the series progressed where underneath it all his character/spirit just continued on and on.

With the "strike deadly" option like 2012, it fits the most, but I still wouldn't choose it because if Shredder is too far in the background of the series then it would make the audience wonder how influential Shredder really is, and how much does he really contribute? One could make an argument for questioning why can't his huge ninja clan just declare mutiny on him, if it appears Shredder is nothing more than a distant tyrannical monarch of sorts, who just commands people to do tasks, and doesn't devise or plan any insightful details to contribute to the Foot Clan's success? ...Which is why I don't think highly of 2012 Shredder despite his threatening presence and fighting ability.

As odd as it might be for some, I preferred 1987 Shredder during his more serious seasons in 1, 7, and 8 (why I didn't choose the "butt being kicked" option), or I would choose the 1st movie Shredder if that was an option. The slapstick fighting was okay at times (considering this was an 80s cartoon for children), but it was pushed too frequently during the middle seasons of the OT. One thing I enjoyed about OT Shredder was the involvement in the plans against the Turtles, sometimes though, his involvement with his subordinates was excessive at times, making the audience question who exactly was in charge, Shredder or Krang? ...And for some, partially deteriorating the pedestal the character was assigned to be as a supervillain.

billbot85
06-08-2014, 06:33 PM
I think the 2012 show has the right idea. Keep Shredder not as involved in the fighting and action scenes so that when he does strike, it's deadly and serious. Kinda similar to how they treated Splinter in the OT. He didn't do a whole lot of fighting since he was the turtles' master, but when he did, he kicked some serious ass. :tgrin:

stormbringer
06-08-2014, 08:12 PM
I'd say Chr'ell Shredder,with Nickelodeon Shredder coming in second.

Stugehen
06-08-2014, 09:03 PM
I chose the 2012 option, but I actually prefer the IDW version more than any of the others. He's deadly, influential to the narrative, and doesn't desperately need some sun on his shoulders. The Nick series Shredder's arms are a little gross.

Sewer Sirens Podcast
06-08-2014, 10:03 PM
I think Nickelodeon has the right idea, just I'm not quite sure they have been using that concept to their best advantage. I feel like we've seen TOO less of Shredder to the point where the audience doesn't even keep him in their mind as a threat (at least, I think). However, today's episode brought him back in and gave him a lot more of a presence than I feel like he has in the past.

I still really like how the 2003 show did it, though. I hope, eventually, the 2012 turtles defeat Shredder sometime end of season three and move onto another threat. You can only have a villain for so long, especially when you hardly see him.

However, it'd be cool if they defeat Shredder in season three, and see him come back in season six or something. Give us a little break, and then have Shredder come back with a vengeance.

Does that make sense? I'm tired, and multitasking, so I'm not sure. Let's hope so.

CyberCubed
06-08-2014, 10:27 PM
IDW Shredder might shape up to be the definitive version after Mirage and the first movie.

We shall see.

Sewer Sirens Podcast
06-08-2014, 10:35 PM
IDW Shredder might shape up to be the definitive version after Mirage and the first movie.

We shall see.

Definitely agree. He has so much to him that a lot of other iterations lack.

Warboss74
06-09-2014, 03:43 AM
I like the idea of the Shredder being a mantle that can continually return similar to the three different Shredders in the 2K3 show. I don't think that mantle always needs to be active for a particular universe as I think there's potential in many of the different villains that have shown up to become that centrail villain/rival.

As for a definitive Shredder; I like certain aspects about different incarnations of the Shredder, and I'd like to see a Shredder or Shredders combine those elements in a single incarnation. The only way I'd see that, though, is if I sat down and created that specific universe myself.

Bry
06-09-2014, 07:54 AM

Agreed on all counts. I'm really not a fan of the Mecha-Shredder concept, as it stands to take away from his natural abilities. There are plenty of robotic-style enemies for the Turtles to fight, but with the Shredder it should always be straightforward, 100% ninja action.

That said, the 4Kids Shredder design was pretty great otherwise. They didn't overdo it with the blades, and a bit less armour and it'd be pretty definitive, IMO. But considering the reasoning behind the armour design, I could live with it.

Personality-wise... oh man, yeah, Ch'rell all the way. I still largely prefer the Mirage/Movie versions (and the human Oroku Saki version in general), but the 4Kids Shredder was by far the deadliest, and after largely being played for laughs for 10 seasons of the '87 show, that was a huge breath of fresh air to get a Shredder that was a legitimately fearsome threat.