PDA

View Full Version : Disney's The Lion Guard

ZariusTwo
06-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Disney is looking to get new mileage out of its “Lion King” franchise with a new animated series and TV movie planned for its Disney Channel and Disney Junior cablers.

Disney Television Animation is producing “The Lion Guard,” a series that continues the storyline of the Mouse’s boffo 1994 hit feature. “Lion Guard” will bow next fall with a TV movie and transition to a regular series in early 2016.

“We look forward to introducing a whole new generation of kids to both the Disney legacy characters and to new friends and heroes,” said Nancy Kanter, exec VP of original programming and g.m. of Disney Junior Worldwide.

The series incorporates strong environmental and conservation messages as it revolves around lion cub Kion’s role as a member of the Lion Guard group tasked with preserving his family’s natural habitat. Series will revive “Lion King” characters including Simba, Nala, Timon and Pumbaa. Ford Riley developed “Lion Guard” and is exec producer.

According to Disney, the lifetime global B.O. for “The Lion King” is $987.4 million, including its 2011 3-D theatrical re-release. The franchise has spawned a long-running Broadway show and touring production, direct-to-video sequels and the 1990s syndicated toon series ‘The Lion King’s Timon and Pumbaa.”

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/disney-channel-preps-new-lion-king-series-tv-movie-franchise-1201217283/

Finally. Timon and Pumba was great, but it's nice to get something of a serious Lion King-related show

sdp
06-10-2014, 01:11 PM
I saw this and had many reactions, the Lion King is my favorite Disney movie. My first reaction was a new Lion King movie? This can't be good, but it's only a TV movie/pilot for the show, My second one was "I can't believe they de-canonized The Lion King 2", but he does have his sister in the show. But anyway the show being on Disney Junior worries me that it might be aimed at very young children. Also they mention "The Lion king meets Avengers"? ugh, what does that even mean but it doesn't sound good at all. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

With that said, I thought The Lion King 2 is actually a pretty good sequel, and probably one of the best Disney sequels . The Lion King 1.5 got a lot of praise when it came out but I didn't like it at all, it's just a re-telling of the first movie through the unfunny Timon and Pumba. I don't hate them but the movie already has more than enough Timon and Pumba and we didn't need more of them. Which brings me to the show, I didn't really like it at all, the mix of Timon and Pumba in the real world was just odd, the fact that I am not a big fan of them didn't help the show to me, it just didn't feel like a Lion King cartoon but a weird spin-off that isn't in continuity, it wasn't until one time I read on wikipedia that Simba and others do appear in an episode or two.

Candy Kappa
06-10-2014, 01:13 PM
I am intrigued.

Raph's Girl
06-10-2014, 01:29 PM
So Simba and Nala had a son after Kiera and now he's getting his own show in 2016?!

On the one hand it's cool that they're continuing on but on the other hand... wouldn't it be better if Kion was Kiera's son?

sdp
06-10-2014, 01:48 PM
It's easier to market the son of Simba from the film you love than the son of the daughter of Simba who he had in that one DTV no one remembers. I don't see a lot of problems with Simba and Nala having more than one cub, it also makes it more interesting there could be sibling rivalry since Kiera is the one who'll inherit the throne.

Raph's Girl
06-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Found more info. Kiara is confirmed as being in the show!

Instead of assembling a team of young lions to serve with him, Kion challenges tradition by calling upon friends he believes are the best choices - Bunga, a fearless honey badger; Fuli, a confident cheetah; Beshte, a happy-go-lucky hippo; and Ono, an intellectual egret.

Kion has an interesting group of friends! *lol*

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2014/06/10/disney-begins-production-on-the-lion-guard-an-animated-disney-junior-tv-movie-and-series-inspired-by-the-lion-king-798101/20140610disney01/

Peanut
06-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Finally. Timon and Pumba was great, but it's nice to get something of a serious Lion King-related show

It's...on Disney Junior...

ZariusTwo
06-10-2014, 02:24 PM
It's...on Disney Junior...

...Which is proof I need to read articles more thoroughly before I post them....:(

TheSkeletonMan939
06-10-2014, 02:32 PM
How depressing... they should have left it at Lion King 1.5.

Peanut
06-10-2014, 02:49 PM
How depressing... they should have left it at Lion King 1.5.

Why? It's for little kids. Disney Junior does a quality job with their stuff.

TigerClaw
06-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Found more info. Kiara is confirmed as being in the show!

Kion has an interesting group of friends! *lol*

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2014/06/10/disney-begins-production-on-the-lion-guard-an-animated-disney-junior-tv-movie-and-series-inspired-by-the-lion-king-798101/20140610disney01/
Yeah, Looks like Kiara is the older sister.
"The Lion Guard" begins as Kion, the second-born cub of Simba and Nala, assumes the role of leader of the Lion Guard, a group of the bravest and brightest tasked with preserving the Pride Lands. Instead of assembling a team of young lions to serve with him, Kion challenges tradition by calling upon friends he believes are the best choices - Bunga, a fearless honey badger; Fuli, a confident cheetah; Beshte, a happy-go-lucky hippo; and Ono, an intellectual egret. Stories will include special appearances by Mufasa, Timon, Pumbaa, Rafiki, Zazu and Kion's older sister, Kiara, the future Queen of the Pride Lands.

So basically Simba & Nala had a 2nd cub years later, To bad the Lion King movies aren't an accurate portrayal of what Lions really do.

TigerClaw
06-10-2014, 03:22 PM
I also wonder if the new series will be fully CGI or traditional animation?

TurtleTitan97
06-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I also wonder if the new series will be fully CGI or traditional animation?

It's traditional animation

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2014510/rs_560x415-140610090516-1024.The-Lion-Guard-JR3-61014_copy.jpg

Netkeeper
06-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Not gonna lie, even if it is for preschoolers I'm excited about it nonetheless. I always thought the animal designs in the Lion King movies/Timon and Pumbaa cartoon were really cute.

Given the style of the two promo pictures I've seen so far, I'm going to guess it'll be 2D animation. Thank god. I'm getting so sick of CGI.

Jester
06-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Why? It's for little kids. Disney Junior does a quality job with their stuff.
This...
My 2 year old loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...and even screams "'Phia!" when we pass anything with Sophia the 1st on it.

Peanut
06-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Yeah, my nephew has pretty much grown up on the DJ stuff the last few years. It's all really well made, but it's meant for kids! Adults getting upset about it is...sad? Pathetic? One of those.

ZariusTwo
06-10-2014, 04:12 PM
I work with kids and they find Clubhouse, Neverland Pirates, Sophie, and a lot of other shows to be utterly generic and unrewarding.

There's nothing 'sad' and 'pathetic' about wanting something brimming with dramatic potential mined

Feel free to keep rewarding your offspring with mediocrity, it suits the kind of taste you're known to have.

Cure
06-10-2014, 04:46 PM
I work with kids and they find Clubhouse, Neverland Pirates, Sophie, and a lot of other shows to be utterly generic and unrewarding.

I somehow really doubt that's in their words.

Also, talking sh*t about how people raise their children over a cartoon show. You have issues, man.

Candy Kappa
06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Disney Juniors are for whimps, real caretakers lets the kids watch MTV until nap time.

Peanut
06-10-2014, 04:59 PM
The fact that you would belittle someone's parenting skills based on the cartoons their child may or may not watch is alarming. Although, I admit I expect little else from a self-loathing aspie with the mentality of a cum sock who was congealed in a British gutter full of aborted crack babies and vomit.

The fact that you take children's cartoons so deadly serious is a testament to how sad your "life" truly is. Crawl back into your playroom with your VHS tapes, clown shoes.

Jester
06-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Crawl back into your playroom with your VHS tapes, clown shoes.
Hey...let's not insult VHS tapes....they're another one of my son's fascinations.

EDIT: I typed "Son't," what the heck is that?

Cure
06-10-2014, 06:16 PM
VHS is too good for Zarius.

Donatello19
06-10-2014, 07:51 PM
I was kinda excited until I saw it was a Disney Junior show :lol: still cool nonetheless, the animation looks really nice. Certainly better than that new show featuring "the seven dwarves" from Snow White...

http://www.animationmagazine.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/7D-post-2.jpg

pennydreadful
06-10-2014, 08:26 PM
So basically Simba & Nala had a 2nd cub years later, To bad the Lion King movies aren't an accurate portrayal of what Lions really do.

Hehe, yeah, that could've been traumatic for all involved - cub massacre at Pride Rock. Among other things. :lol:

I love Kion already - lookit he has a cute little mohawk! :D I'm excited about this - I adored the movie as a wee kidlet, collected all the trading cards and everything... and LK2 was really good as well. I never watched 1.5 or Timon & Pumba's show because I always found their characters kind of irritating/not to my taste (no offense to those who like them!).

It'll be fun to see another big cat species in the LK world as well (via Fuli). I'll definitely be watching this.

TheBlueTurtle1
06-11-2014, 12:37 AM
I saw this and had many reactions, the Lion King is my favorite Disney movie. My first reaction was a new Lion King movie? This can't be good, but it's only a TV movie/pilot for the show, My second one was "I can't believe they de-canonized The Lion King 2", but he does have his sister in the show. But anyway the show being on Disney Junior worries me that it might be aimed at very young children. Also they mention "The Lion king meets Avengers"? ugh, what does that even mean but it doesn't sound good at all. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

With that said, I thought The Lion King 2 is actually a pretty good sequel, and probably one of the best Disney sequels . The Lion King 1.5 got a lot of praise when it came out but I didn't like it at all, it's just a re-telling of the first movie through the unfunny Timon and Pumba. I don't hate them but the movie already has more than enough Timon and Pumba and we didn't need more of them. Which brings me to the show, I didn't really like it at all, the mix of Timon and Pumba in the real world was just odd, the fact that I am not a big fan of them didn't help the show to me, it just didn't feel like a Lion King cartoon but a weird spin-off that isn't in continuity, it wasn't until one time I read on wikipedia that Simba and others do appear in an episode or two.

I agree with almost everything you say here. 1.5 puts a horrid spin on the first movie, which happens to be one of if not my fav movie. I loved Lionking 2, and think it's the only disney direct to vide movie I actually like.

Don't get me wrong I love Timon and Pumbaa, but hated the 1.5 movie.

I hope they have not de-canonized The Lion King 2, it would be cool to see Kovu.

I think the show has some promise, so I shall keep an eye on it.

TheBlueTurtle1
06-11-2014, 08:19 AM
sorry for double post, but here is some high light info

A new Lion King spin-off TV movie for 2015 and series for 2016 are in production for Disney Junior and Disney Channel. The shows will follow Simba and Nala’s son, Kion.

According to the Disney press release, Kion “challenges tradition by calling upon friends he believes are the best choices (for the Lion Guard) – Bunga, a fearless honey badger; Fuli, a confident cheetah; Beshte, a happy-go-lucky hippo; and Ono, an intellectual egret.”

Worried you’ll miss the original King clan to much to tune in to the spin-off? Disney promises cameos by Mufasa, Timon, Pumbaa and Zazu.

Also it has said he is Simbas second born male cub. For those who don't know the cub at the end of Lion king one was called Kopa, and died before Kiara was born. Believed to be killed by the outlanders.

http://i.imgur.com/RoP20PN.png

http://i0.wp.com/pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/136014_02.jpg?crop=0px%2C9px%2C3000px%2C1670px&resize=670%2C377

pennydreadful
06-11-2014, 04:19 PM
I hope they have not de-canonized The Lion King 2, it would be cool to see Kovu.

Ditto, Kovu was awesome.

Also it has said he is Simbas second born male cub. For those who don't know the cub at the end of Lion king one was called Kopa, and died before Kiara was born. Believed to be killed by the outlanders.

Oh my god! That's pretty dark... :o

Netkeeper
06-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Oh my god! That's pretty dark... :o
Haha, yeah, Lion King has some dark/not-too-child-friendly **** going on sometimes.

Just ask yourself: who is Nala's father?

ZariusTwo
06-11-2014, 04:46 PM
:lol:

Clown shoes? Christ No-Nuts, where are you learning such harsh langauge? Oh yeah, from your easily-pleased experiances with mediocre PBS s*ite.

Keep proving me right pal, you couldn't score a date with DW Reid if you tried.

VHS is too good for Zarius.

Betamax is king!:lol:

Peanut
06-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Clown shoes? Christ No-Nuts, where are you learning such harsh langauge? Oh yeah, from your easily-pleased experiances with mediocre PBS s*ite.

Keep proving me right pal, you couldn't score a date with DW Reid if you tried.

You write serious fan fiction.

ZariusTwo
06-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Ignore List Girl I Could Kiss You[/John Hurt]:lol::lol::lol:

Right, on topic again folks, just having my fun with a lost cause/boy

Netkeeper
06-11-2014, 04:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kjmq93n.gif

Peanut
06-11-2014, 05:03 PM
As if he's not clicking just to see what I say, anyways, right?

Here we have someone who LIVES for children's cartoons. Writes stories about them! He can't let go of these experiences made for TODDLERS, yet he's trying to sh*t on people for what their children watch?

Also, he's so bad at insults. I don't even know what he's talking about. Insults don't work when they other person doesn't get your references, or when they don't relate to the person at all. I don't care about cartoons. I don't know anything about them. Insulting what cartoons I watched as a kid is like insulting my favourite football team...when I don't watch football.

Dude is sick. He needs help. I would feel bad for him if he wasn't a Chris-Chan style autistic with an ego and an attitude.

Brodie
06-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Those stills look pretty legit. Child show or not, it looks clean as ****. Good to se some quality animation.

sdp
06-11-2014, 06:43 PM
There's a difference between not being the Target Audience and a show being too childish. Just because it's a kids show doesn't mean it has to be stupid. Many cartoons are aimed at kids but can easily be enjoyable by adults, not being the target audience means nothing if you understand that. People who want gritty versions of kids things don't get it the same way people who think kids properties can only be enjoyed by kids.

I am not familiar with Disney Junior but if it's like Nick Jr. then this show might be like the Land before Time sequels/TVshows that are a shadow of the original movie,which they're all intended for children but they have clearly different intentions and one can be enjoyed by adults and the others really can't. But it seems like it'll be more of an action saving the jungle type show. With the premise I expect something more along the likes of Aladdin the series and not Timon and Pumba. If it's the latter then i'd like it, if it's like the former then it wouldn't be for me. Of course this is without taking into account quality which is another deal breaker regardless of the type of show that it is.

Netkeeper
06-11-2014, 06:46 PM
I am not familiar with Disney Junior but if it's like Nick Jr. then this show might be like the Land before Time sequels/TVshows that are a shadow of the original movie,which they're all intended for children but they have clearly different intentions and one can be enjoyed by adults and the others really can't.
I know several adults that enjoyed the Land Before Time sequels, myself being one of them.

The cartoon, not so much.

sdp
06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm sure, and I enjoy them for what they are. But are you honestly going to recommend anyone to watch them? I can easily recommend the original movie, I recently saw it with my girlfriend and she loved it, it's a great children's movie; and if I had a kid who loves Dinosaurs and enjoyed the first movie I'd let him eat up the sequels, but you can't tell me with a straight face that they are nothing but a mere shadow of it's former self. You can enjoy them but they're not quality children's entertainment.

Netkeeper
06-11-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm sure, and I enjoy them for what they are. But are you honestly going to recommend anyone to watch them? I can easily recommend the original movie, I recently saw it with my girlfriend and she loved it, it's a great children's movie; and if I had a kid who loves Dinosaurs and enjoyed the first movie I'd let him eat up the sequels, but you can't tell me with a straight face that they are nothing but a mere shadow of it's former self. You can enjoy them but they're not quality children's entertainment.
Yes, they are quality children's entertainment, actually. These characters have some serious familial issues that get handled in the sequels in a really good way. I'd love to recommend the original movie and the sequels to any children, as well as adults that enjoy cartoons.

pennydreadful
06-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Haha, yeah, Lion King has some dark/not-too-child-friendly **** going on sometimes.

Just ask yourself: who is Nala's father?

Yeeeah... I kind of just made up my own headcanon that Nala and her mother joined from a visiting pride or something. :lol:

I kind of stopped watching the LBT sequels after a certain point... from what I gather, some of them got a bit crappy (I definitely haven't heard good things about the tv series). But my kid sister and I grew up on them; even though the sequels weren't as good as the original, I still can't give the sequels too much crap. If nothing else, they had some good songs. :) Remember The Land Before Time sing-along songs tape? I actually set up my tape recorder next to the tv just so I could listen to the whole thing on my Walkman.

Ah, the good old days of ancient technology. :P

Allio
06-11-2014, 09:35 PM
So Simba and Nala had a son after Kiera and now he's getting his own show in 2016?!

On the one hand it's cool that they're continuing on but on the other hand... wouldn't it be better if Kion was Kiera's son?

that's because the only good thing from that movie was

B1yO4S07b9o

I'm a little on the defense side of things, for the most part, it has been rare that the disney spin-off tv show has ever been good as compared to the movie (Read as: Emperor's new School)

BubblyShell22
06-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Really excited for this! Lion King was one of my fave movies, and I definitely will watch this if I can catch it. I'm glad they haven't forgotten Kiara at all and that she'll be there, which is great. Also, the fact that Simba and Nala had a son killed by The Outlanders really puts the feud from the second movie into perspective a bit more. Zira and her clan were banished because of what they did to Simba's kid. Yikes!

Either way, I'll probably check this series out and see if it's any good, but it depends on what time it's on. Hope it's not on too early in the morning.

Netkeeper
06-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Yeeeah... I kind of just made up my own headcanon that Nala and her mother joined from a visiting pride or something. :lol:

I kind of stopped watching the LBT sequels after a certain point... from what I gather, some of them got a bit crappy (I definitely haven't heard good things about the tv series). But my kid sister and I grew up on them; even though the sequels weren't as good as the original, I still can't give the sequels too much crap. If nothing else, they had some good songs. :) Remember The Land Before Time sing-along songs tape? I actually set up my tape recorder next to the tv just so I could listen to the whole thing on my Walkman.

Ah, the good old days of ancient technology. :P
Wow, WOW you are nostalgia bombing me here. I listened to that sing-along tape so many times, I was so proud of myself for knowing all the words to everything on it.

Don't even talk to me about ancient technology. I used to hook my video game consoles into the AV connector on my VCR just so I could record them, then I discovered I could take the audio from one and the video from another and make a "music video".

Netkeeper
06-13-2014, 06:04 PM
DFtBjc1dz7w
Is this relevant enough for me to post here

Darth Knuckles
06-13-2014, 06:43 PM
The Lion King is also my favorite Disney movie so I'm excited about this. I look forward to seeing Kion and his friends defend the Pride Lands. Especially the honey badger and the cheetah. I really enjoyed The Lion King II: Simba's Pride and did not like The Lion King 1½. But why are some afraid that The Lion King II: Simba's Pride isn't cannon anymore? I didn't read anything to give me that impression.