PDA

View Full Version : DC's "Band Aid": Pre-52 vs New 52 In 2015?

ZariusTwo
06-14-2014, 07:39 AM
No sooner was the New 52 Relaunch underway (and folks found out that it was a stealth reboot) than people have been asking “when can we get the old stuff back?”

Superman in his red trunks. Batgirl in her wheelchair. Amanda Waller in her size-plus clothing. Alan Scott in his heterosexuality.

Well, as part of the comics event that we have dubbed The Band Aid, currently being planned and created in advance to help DC Comics keep putting out books during the publisher’s move from New York to Burbank and masterminded by Dan DiDio and Marie Javins, I am told that it will include Pre-52 versions of various DC characters, face to face with their New 52 counterparts.

So… who do you want to see return?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/13/the-dc-band-aid-project-to-bring-back-the-pre-52/

Reportedly Tom DeFalco was in charge of this, but was taken off the project.

pennydreadful
06-14-2014, 12:46 PM
...masterminded by Dan DiDio and Marie Javins, I am told that it will include Pre-52 versions of various DC characters, face to face with their New 52 counterparts.

http://replygif.net/i/792.gif

Can't they just admit that, overall, the New 52 was not a good idea, and move on? Some parts were an improvement but a lot of it has just been a hot mess (IMO)...

Candy Kappa
06-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Poor, poor DCU.

CyberCubed
06-14-2014, 01:12 PM
I wish they would just stop making comics altogether.

Do a real reboot like TV shows and movies did and end this.

pennydreadful
06-14-2014, 03:06 PM
Actually, wait - I take it back. This will be worth it just so we can see Proper Lobo tear Nu Lobo's head off.

http://www.comicbooked.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/lobobird.jpg

Slade
06-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Only New 52 I read are Superman and Batman. I actually would like to see them go against the Pre 52 versions.

Bry
06-17-2014, 09:55 AM
http://replygif.net/i/792.gif

Can't they just admit that, overall, the New 52 was not a good idea, and move on? Some parts were an improvement but a lot of it has just been a hot mess (IMO)...

The biggest waste of potential is how mangled certain characters got in the process. The reboot was a great opportunity to restore all their characters to their best versions and add some more diversity to the line, while wiping out any "bad" developments and cleaning things up so their stories are a bit more accessible. But instead they went out of their way to "reimagine" certain characters in stupid, unappealing ways.

I was a huge fan of the Young Justice comic and that whole cast, and the New 52 Teen Titans left every one of those characters far worse off. They're practically unrecognizable. I would be thrilled if the pre-New 52 versions of Robin, Superboy, Wonder Girl and Impulse/Kid Flash could show up to wipe the floor with their EXTREME New 52 counterparts. And hey, maybe even have some fun doing it. What a concept!

pingclang
06-17-2014, 10:53 AM
For all the heartache caused by the New 52, DC is still selling like crazy so no matter how much we may hate it it is still selling and the company is not going under or anything like that. I would love to see Pre-52 Green Arrow meet New Green Arrow. I loved Ollie before the reboot and his current incarnation, even in the Lemire issues, is nothing compared. Mike Grell GA, that's all I'm saying. I know we all want to see our respective favorites wipe the floor with the new guys, but I get the feeling, considering it is new DC, that none of the old guys will win. Maybe Supes and Bats but that's all I think they would even consider.

arkangel
06-17-2014, 11:01 PM
There will be a second reboot of the Teen Titans next month, and while I love Brett Booth's artwork, I'm looking forward to what the new creative team with artist Kenneth Rocafort comes up with. As for the new 52, I have to plead ignorance as I only read Batman and Teen Titans (up until it's last cancellation). Just don't bring back the "wearing your ginch outside your pants thing". It took 75 years to finally get them to wear their fruit of the looms INSIDE their pants !!

pennydreadful
06-18-2014, 12:11 AM
The biggest waste of potential is how mangled certain characters got in the process. The reboot was a great opportunity to restore all their characters to their best versions and add some more diversity to the line, while wiping out any "bad" developments and cleaning things up so their stories are a bit more accessible. But instead they went out of their way to "reimagine" certain characters in stupid, unappealing ways.

I was a huge fan of the Young Justice comic and that whole cast, and the New 52 Teen Titans left every one of those characters far worse off. They're practically unrecognizable. I would be thrilled if the pre-New 52 versions of Robin, Superboy, Wonder Girl and Impulse/Kid Flash could show up to wipe the floor with their EXTREME New 52 counterparts. And hey, maybe even have some fun doing it. What a concept!

Agreed; it's like for every one thing that they did well (e.g. Aquaman), they botched another 25 things horribly (e.g. Starfire... and don't even get me started on what they did to Constantine). The good ideas they did manage to come up with were ones that really could have been executed in the series without rebooting (IMO).

Regardless, I'll be amused to see how the bandaid run turns out... :roll:

Brodie
06-18-2014, 04:32 PM

Are you ****ing mental? Like, what?

ZariusTwo
07-11-2014, 07:29 AM
Update: Now the reports are that the New 52 universe is'nt even going to be a part of this multiverse event. Only Earth-2 will be involved.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/23/the-dc-comics-band-aid-will-have-no-characters-from-prime-earth/

Perhaps the New 52 heroes are being spared from unfair comparisons to what fans will perceive as "better alternatives" to them?

Or perhaps New 52 will be ended by then?

CyberCubed
07-12-2014, 06:17 PM
LOL, this is why I don't read comics. Save yourself the headache.

ZariusTwo
07-13-2014, 05:59 AM
LOL, this is why I don't read comics. Save yourself the headache.

Heh, I've sort of limited myself to just reading the syndicated newspaper comics and indie books more and more, the big two are just embarrasing now.

ZariusTwo
09-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Looks like the Pre-52 comeback rumors are true. The JLU 3000 title is set in the distant future of a universe based on the older stuff, and it's a universe where Infinite Crisis never happened, meaning Ted Kord is alive and well, and he and the classic Booster Gold will be appearing in the book.

http://www.newsarama.com/22109-blue-beetle-booster-are-back-the-pre-new-52-blue-beetle-booster-gold-are-back.html

Brodie
09-12-2014, 06:48 PM
That's not a terrible thing, really. I'm open to it, as someone who really got much more involved with DC books as a whole after the New 52 launched. I knew about DC stuff to a certain extent prior to the relaunch, but the relaunch was what got me into a whole slew of other books I wouldn't normally jump into.

Some (a bunch) of New 52 stuff was garbage, but there's a bunch of great stuff too. The Snyder Batman stuff is great, the Justice League stuff is fun, and approachable. Superboy was more interesting. Animal Man, Swamp Thing and Justice League Dark were fantastic. Constantine had its ups and downs. I ended up getting the Grant Morrison Animal Man Omnibus after reading the first New 52 Animal Man arc. It got me super into AM. The Morrison stuff was super, and even the sequel stories after Morrison left were interesting. The entirety of the New 52 AM stuff is interesting and well done.

I wouldn't have picked up any of that stuff, had the New 52 relaunch happened.

And some books had the benefit of not entirely taking to the New 52, like Johns' Green Lantern. And it worked. Reading Johns' GL stuff since Rebirth, all the way to his finale on 'The End,' it all ties well together.

That being said, it wouldn't be awful if they went back, and set things in a way that solved the issues of both universes.

It would be rough if they kept some stuff from each, especially with the Earth 2 stuff. We'll see, though.

I'm always open to more Blue Beetle/ Booster Gold stuff, especially by Giffen.

ZariusTwo
09-13-2014, 03:05 AM
I'm not too keen on Synder's Batman, but Jones GL was a quality book, Animal Man was fantastic and dealt with a lot of consequential issues, Batwoman (up until her writers were fired or left) was good. I might check out the new creative team on Batgirl as they seem to just be doing "Stephanie Brown stories only with Babs" from what I see of it:D

Coola Yagami
09-13-2014, 11:43 AM

The don't read Turtle comics either. Mirage ended. Archie ended. Leave it at that. Stop making comics altogether.

Brodie
09-13-2014, 10:27 PM
I'm not too keen on Synder's Batman, but Jones GL was a quality book, Animal Man was fantastic and dealt with a lot of consequential issues, Batwoman (up until her writers were fired or left) was good. I might check out the new creative team on Batgirl as they seem to just be doing "Stephanie Brown stories only with Babs" from what I see of it:D

I'm looking into getting into Batgirl and Batwoman, too. Since getting an iPad, picking up the Kindle trades is way more affordable.

I got most of the Aquaman ones the other day, and they're pretty great. Its just a really fun read, and a nice take on Aquaman.

The only stuff I gave a shot and wasn't crazy about was the Superman and Earth 2 books. Superman wasn't awful, just bland. Action Comics was pretty terrible. Earth 2 was meh. I feel like that one had a bunch of potential and just petered out by the third arc, but part of me thinks thats just Robinson.

Red Lanterns, once Guy led the team, was fun. Prior to that, it wasn't very good. I haven't dove into the New Guardians stuff, or GLC stuff.

snake
09-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Yay! Events with a gorrilion tie-ins!

Can't be worse then Marvel though. They have an event every month.

ZariusTwo
09-30-2014, 06:12 AM
Pre-52 was glimpsed by Brainiac at the end of the recent "Doomed" storyline

ZariusTwo
10-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Seem DC think lighter and softer is the way to go next year

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/87968-dc-comics-ask-creators-daring-blue-sky-thinking-pitches-after-band-aid-think-batgirl-gotham-academy-harley-quinn.html

ZariusTwo
03-26-2015, 12:30 PM
LM8sfznqoFk#

ZariusTwo
04-08-2015, 11:20 AM
So Convergence kicked off today. Anyone reading?

I checked out Superman, Harley Quinn, Speed Force, Nightwing/Oracle, and the main book. Not bad, but some of them are a bit light on substance and really don't have a chance to breathe before the big battles kick in. Only making this a two-month event may hurt it in the long run