PDA

View Full Version : How can you guys in America not find this??

Spidergreg
06-18-2014, 09:17 AM
before Pixel Dan did.

PTiJqdh7QSY

I'm so jealous !!!

Powder
06-18-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm guessing you don't know this, but North America is 3.794 million sq miles in size. So, you know, it's not like we all live in a small town together, where we have to fight one another to the death to get cheap toys. :tlol:

Fourcylinder
06-18-2014, 09:51 AM
the U.S. is a big place? haha, no that is an amazing find, I wish there were good thrift shops where I live... all the thrift shops around me just carry junk.

Spidergreg
06-18-2014, 09:56 AM
the U.S. is a big place? haha, no that is an amazing find, I wish there were good thrift shops where I live... all the thrift shops around me just carry junk.

How do you know? You ever check?

Fourcylinder
06-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Yeah, i go on a semi-regular basis. Here is the thing, the thrift shops near me do not bag toys, they heap then all together in a large bin and the majority of them are broken. :/

Powder
06-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Thift stores are usually only decent in cities where the population is is financially stable, & heavily into pop culture. If you're in a low income area, rural town, one with less youth than average, etc. you're going to find nothing but crap. California, New York, states like that, they've got tons of awesome shops. But if you go to a random place in the midwest or south, your chances aren't so good.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
06-18-2014, 10:15 AM
How do you know? You ever check?

around me thrift stores are the " i feel bad throwing away my broken toys and since i cant sell them ,ill give them away for someone else to toss"

also a find like this is extremely rare..in my area alone there is one thrift store and a "toy" section is a corner next to the old vhs'

barbecue17
06-18-2014, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty heavy into checking out thrift stores and the best things I've ever found have been a couple G.I. Joe vehicles (not complete) and a 200x He-Man role play sword.

Now I do have a comic shop fairly close to me that bags their toys like that. They buy entire collections fairly cheap and sell fairly cheap so I've found some very good TMNT deals (3-4 bucks a figure complete).

tmntman
06-18-2014, 03:15 PM
It might be worth noting for those who are envious of this or some of the other recent steals that have come from thrift stores, that mid to late summer is often a very good time to go thrift store shopping. This time of the year, you have a lot of people clearing out basements, garages etc. and either donating directly or running a garage sale for a weekend and then bringing all the stuff that didn't sell in to donation centers. And since kids are home from school, it is a good time to make them clear out the old toys that they do not want any more. All of these items will often, and fairly quickly find their way onto thrift store shelves.

zodiac brave
06-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Thift stores are usually only decent in cities where the population is is financially stable, & heavily into pop culture. If you're in a low income area, rural town, one with less youth than average, etc. you're going to find nothing but crap. California, New York, states like that, they've got tons of awesome shops. But if you go to a random place in the midwest or south, your chances aren't so good.

san antonio, tx is a prime example of this.

not only do we have more of the big name pop culture shops (hot topic, spencers etc) than necessary, but there are over 10 comic shops (some being chains with multiple locations) and TONS of flea markets and thrift stores. we even now have retro gaming store chains and a bunch of console and cabinet arcades popping up.

every weekend there are cons or geek-centric events or meet-ups...

its pretty sweet.

i do goodwill and used book store runs on the regular and always tend to find awesome hidden gems.

for a while there was a bunch of the old tmnt cereal bowls and juice cups that, i dunno, had just been dumped at the goodwills around here. scooped up a bunch of em poste haste for a couple quarters each.

snake
06-18-2014, 03:30 PM
That's an awesome haul. I don't get the thread title though, America is a pretty big place.

IndigoErth
06-18-2014, 03:54 PM
How can you guys in America not find this??
LOL That guy is lucky, because being a Thrift store that's all you have to go on. Right place at the right time after someone donated a tone of stuff.

(Best thing I ever found at my local one is a set of the reading books my school used grades 1 - 3 and always wanted copies.)

BlisterStockboy
06-18-2014, 04:00 PM
I'm from Southern Ontario, Canada and we have absolutely nothing in terms of vintage toys at any of our thrift stores. The "coolest" thing that I've found toy-wise are bags full of carded Man of Steel toys for $1.50 each

pennydreadful
06-18-2014, 07:04 PM
So, you know, it's not like we all live in a small town together, where we have to fight one another to the death to get cheap toys. :tlol:

I've now got a great mental image going here - Thrift-shop Thunderdome. :lol: Nerds choose their weapons and the last person standing gets the toys!

Thrift stores in my area suck as well - for clothing as well as toys. Much envy for Pixel Dan's haul though! :)

arkangel
06-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Even Canadian cities like Lethbridge, Alberta with a population of 70,000 has very poor pickings at thrift stores, salvation army, pawn shops, etc. We usually have to drive the 3 hrs to Calgary for better finds.
That said... I've found some great little treasures from garage sales. The dresser in my turtle diorama was 25 cents, 4 ikea dollhouse bunk beds, a bookshelf and a cabinet for 3 bucks, a vase with japanese inscriptions for 2 bucks. Never underestimate weekend garage sales.
Oh, and Pixel Dan can K my A.

DonatelloFan1984
06-18-2014, 08:59 PM
I find hauls like this all the time at my local flea market. Just because people don't talk about it or post videos of it doesn't mean that things like this don't happen. I typically pay $0.25 a figure. I think the most I have ever paid is a dollar a figure. About 2 years ago I grabbed a TMNT branded toy chest that contained about 200 tmnt figures and paid $20.00 for it. In that chest some of the notable figures were Shogun Shoate, Shogun Tricaraton, Scratch, Hot Spot, Half-Court, Sandstorm, and 7 soft heads. I also tend to agree what others have said Pixel Dan can do.

Vundi
06-19-2014, 12:52 AM
I'm guessing you don't know this, but North America is 3.794 million sq miles in size. So, you know, it's not like we all live in a small town together, where we have to fight one another to the death to get cheap toys. :tlol:

What mini North America are you living in? It's about 3 times that size.

On a side note, Pixel Dan is a douche bag toy snob. Can't stand that guy.

pennydreadful
06-19-2014, 01:16 AM

What does he do that's douchey? I'm not really in the toy collecting scene so I can't say I've heard of him?

Powder
06-19-2014, 03:15 AM

I meant the US alone, whoops. It's not uncommon for an American like me to completely disregard everyone else attached to this continent. :lol:

Zulithe
06-19-2014, 03:45 AM
How can we "not" find this? Trust me... it's found. There are tons of people no different from pixel dan or any of the toy fans here that are always looking for stuff, but maybe don't hit up the garage sales or thrift stores as much as we should since there's sometimes good stuff to be found.

Truth is your chances of a score are SMALL especially if you are only interested in a handfull of toy lines/themes. This is why I don't spend much time hunting in the "outer rim" That, and I don't have a ton of interest in owning vintage stuff. My collection is already getting bigger than what I need.

I may not care for pixel dan as a reviewer but i'm glad someone like him found this haul and not an ebay scalper. he clearly loves the toys and is making sure they have a good home -- just just reselling them at a huge markup to other collectors.

Vundi
06-19-2014, 08:28 PM
What does he do that's douchey? I'm not really in the toy collecting scene so I can't say I've heard of him?

He's just got a huge ego. He talks about himself like he's a celebrity. But what really did it for me was when he said in one of his videos "If you're going to complain about the price of Hot Toys then you shouldn't even be collecting toys". For some reason that just didn't sit well with me at all. I complain about the price of them all the time! I have a great job, make good money and even own a couple of Hot Toys so I'm not saying I didn't like him saying that because it applies to me. I just thought it was really messed up of him to say that. As consumers, we have every right to complain about the things we spend our money on. He makes a living as a to reviewer, great for him, but as such he gets to sit at home with his ugly ass wife and has **** sent to him for free. Not like he has to worry about price.

Man, I hate that guy....

Jester
06-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Guess I ought to check the "local" Savers and see what they might have.

AdamWarlock87
06-19-2014, 08:41 PM
No need to bash his wife dude, come on. This guy has a great job reviewing toys for us and every other collector if he gets **** for free good on him for getting the gig. He still has to take time away from his family to put these videos together for all of us to see and I'm sure he isn't paid an absurd amount of money for what he does. And I think he's right if you are going to complain about the price of toys or high end collectibles then just don't buy it wait for aftermarket prices on it to go down or buy something else it's pretty simple.

barbecue17
06-19-2014, 09:47 PM
He's just got a huge ego. He talks about himself like he's a celebrity. But what really did it for me was when he said in one of his videos "If you're going to complain about the price of Hot Toys then you shouldn't even be collecting toys". For some reason that just didn't sit well with me at all. I complain about the price of them all the time! I have a great job, make good money and even own a couple of Hot Toys so I'm not saying I didn't like him saying that because it applies to me. I just thought it was really messed up of him to say that. As consumers, we have every right to complain about the things we spend our money on. He makes a living as a to reviewer, great for him, but as such he gets to sit at home with his ugly ass wife and has **** sent to him for free. Not like he has to worry about price.

Man, I hate that guy....

Really? You're going to pick on the guy for one comment he made on one of the hundreds of videos and reviews he does and then talk bad about the guy's wife? :trolleye:

BTW- I'm pretty sure I remember the context of that quote and it was really kind of focusing on the fact that Hot Toys are already pretty much a luxury, deluxe item compared to regular ol' toys, so acting shocked about how expensive they are is a little unnecessary. Kind of like complaining about a price increase of foie gras or handmade artisan Italian shoes.

Some people may not like his reviewing style, but Dan is a genuinely nice and polite guy who I don't think has done anything but positive things for the collecting community.