PDA

View Full Version : Did the Don/April pairing start in the 4kids series? Pics included

CyberCubed
07-10-2014, 08:48 PM
As I'm rewatching the 4kids series I'm noticing this is where the whole Donatello/April pairing that Nick is promoting got it start. As early as the third episode when Don and April are working together to shut off the Mousers Don says, "Can April and I get some alone time?" and Mikey mocks, "Ooh, some alone time!"

There are also several times April kisses Donatello in the show:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/077/9/9/donatello_and_april_by_dennef-d7arnns.png

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mejl4lFZys1qaa1jw.jpg

I also know April kisses Donatello after he saves her from the Triceratons in early Season 3, anyone have the screencap of that one?

While April/Casey were a couple and eventually got married in the 4kids cartoon, April and Don had their moments on the side. I'm not sure why people act like Nick is the first series to do this.

Sewer Sirens Podcast
07-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Well, even though this technically (kind of) introduced this element to the franchise, the Nick show took it to it's extreme. In 4kids, it was very subtle and, I believe, was because Don and April had a closer relationship in the series over other turtles. They have a lot of the same interests (they're both scientists).

I think saying that this is basically on the same level as what the Nick show is doing isn't a fair analysis.

ZariusTwo
07-11-2014, 04:56 AM
I've often wondered just how many of the Nick show writers lurked on fourms frequently entertaining this particular subject before they ever got the job:)

BabyTurtles
07-11-2014, 12:44 PM
it's waaaaaay different from the Donnie's crush in Nick

In 4kids, yes Donnie had a crush, but it was small and he didn't pursue her because of it, he just appreciated the little moments he got with her and left it at that. They also had a lot in common and Donnie admired her smarts.
When Casey came in Don didn't stop him from being with April (He just wants April happy)

April was older in the 4kids....so Donnie must have known that he wasn't right for her.

In Nick, Donnie is trying very hard to get April to like him...because of this...he's constantly trying to get her attention and impress her and doesn't like it when Casey tries to go after her also.

and unlike 4kids April.....Nick Donnie and April have nothing in common so his interest in her seems like it's mainly her looks.

that's why people are okay with the 4kids' crush and not Nick's

one's subtle...while the other one is constantly in your face saying "You will enjoy this!!!!!"

Leofan26
07-11-2014, 02:14 PM
If this is the case I liked it done better in the 4Kids series, not too forced and didn't make the characters out of character.

Man I wish the Nick series did it this way instead, maybe than I wouldn't have minded it as much :ohwell:

ABrown
07-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Both series have handled Donnie and April's relationship in ways that work for their respective series. What 4Kids did made sense for the 4Kids series, and what Nick does makes sense for the Nick series.

DarkLightDragon
07-11-2014, 03:18 PM
I think it's also worth pointing out that both instances where April kissed and hugged Don was out of admiration rather than love or affection. Like they were her ways of saying "thank you!" or "I'm so proud of you!" and Don took them as such. Hugs or kisses don't have to be romantically-exclusive.

Plus, as some already pointed out, their 'relationship' was more based off of having a common interest in tinkering with technology as well.

Nick version doesn't really adhere to these since Nick!Don's crush is blatant and will take any sort of little celebratory hug or peck on the cheek as more than what it's meant to be taken as well as having April sharing virtually none of his common interests for a relationship to escalate from it being one-sided on Don's part.

DarthEmpress
07-12-2014, 04:37 PM
This is definitely where the Apritello ship started, even though Don's affection could be taken as platonic. It's funny because both this ship and Leorai were popular during 4kids run, although both (especially Leorai) weren't canon ships in the series. Nick no doubt noticed the popularity of those ships.

Shark_Blade
07-12-2014, 07:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/q0teEq0.png

http://i.imgur.com/Qni1K3Z.png

http://i.imgur.com/autNLjD.png

In OT it seems tame -

In the 2k3 version, April is kind of - bracing her hand against Donnie’s arm as she kisses him. She’s steadying herself so she doesn’t get too close, 'Yeah, I'm totally gonna swoop in and lay JUST a quick one on you, boy.'

The whole body language there really doesn’t read as anything more than awkward-friendly.

In the 2k12 version, though, she’s not only cupping his face as she kisses him, but given that Donnie’s head is at a kind of angle, she’s actually pulling him into it. It’s not meant to be a quick in-and-out thing - there’s definitely more of an intention to linger there.

And that’s nothing to say about the thing going on with her eyebrows, she is totally digging herself some green mutant turtle there, man.

http://i.imgur.com/Iic6BtV.gif

If this is the case I liked it done better in the 4Kids series, not too forced and didn't make the characters out of character.

Man I wish the Nick series did it this way instead, maybe than I wouldn't have minded it as much :ohwell:

I prefer Nick version by miles away, exploring those ships. Much more interesting. Ain't nothing much to see in 2k3 just dull relationships not really going anywhere.

http://i60.tinypic.com/25ksinm.gif

JTH
07-12-2014, 08:09 PM
With the franchise now 30 years old, there's a much larger age span for the franchise then there was when the 2K3 series was airing. So there's a much bigger age group this stuff can appease to as the fanbase has added on new generations of fans. So it only makes sense to try it, that age group is part of the majority viewership.

Also for the those that say that Ninja Turtles shouldn't try to appease to that audience with romance; I say Doctor Who.

Doctor Who brought in two straight young Doctors in Tennant and Matt Smith, Specifically to bring in that audience. That audience who knew nothing about that 50 year old franchise that only watched for the romance and got fans to complain when they brought in 55 year old Capaldi. if Doctor Who could do it, Turtles can do it in a nanosecond.

Whether people want to like it or not, there are people out there that will watch the Nick show only for the romance. Unusual yes, but if the show knows those fans are out there, throwing them a bone every once in a while is inevitable. You just gotta deal with it and/or move on.

NYShell
07-12-2014, 08:52 PM
I prefer Nick version by miles away, exploring those ships. Much more interesting. Ain't nothing much to see in 2k3 just dull relationships not really going anywhere.

Everyone has their own opinion, but 2k3; dull? No way. 2k3 was such an amazing, emotional narrative.

Shark_Blade
07-13-2014, 12:02 AM
I meant the relationships between Don/April and Leo/Karai in 2k3. They're dull like watching wet paint dry.

Refractive Reflections
07-13-2014, 03:29 AM
it's waaaaaay different from the Donnie's crush in Nick

In 4kids, yes Donnie had a crush, but it was small and he didn't pursue her because of it, he just appreciated the little moments he got with her and left it at that. They also had a lot in common and Donnie admired her smarts.
When Casey came in Don didn't stop him from being with April (He just wants April happy)

April was older in the 4kids....so Donnie must have known that he wasn't right for her.

In Nick, Donnie is trying very hard to get April to like him...because of this...he's constantly trying to get her attention and impress her and doesn't like it when Casey tries to go after her also.

and unlike 4kids April.....Nick Donnie and April have nothing in common so his interest in her seems like it's mainly her looks.

that's why people are okay with the 4kids' crush and not Nick's

one's subtle...while the other one is constantly in your face saying "You will enjoy this!!!!!"

I agree with these two, the crush aspect was far more organic unlike the forced, flamboyant, "in your face" tone of the Nick Donnie-April crush.

Personally, I don't think the Nick cartoon would expand much beyond the comedic crush and flirtation aspect of romance considering the majority of their viewers are boys who detest any romantic depth at their age.

Rooish
07-13-2014, 03:44 PM
April is usually dull and the Nick series is no exception. However I found the Karai-Leo relationship in 2k3 to be compelling and emotional. In Nick it's fun... but now that they are siblings they should probably back off.

April in Nick either actually has feelings for Don, or is leading him on since the writers think that's what women like to do. She is very flirtatious with her kisses.

Warhorse
07-13-2014, 04:19 PM
I think it's also worth pointing out that both instances where April kissed and hugged Don was out of admiration rather than love or affection. Like they were her ways of saying "thank you!" or "I'm so proud of you!" and Don took them as such. Hugs or kisses don't have to be romantically-exclusive.

Plus, as some already pointed out, their 'relationship' was more based off of having a common interest in tinkering with technology as well.

Nick version doesn't really adhere to these since Nick!Don's crush is blatant and will take any sort of little celebratory hug or peck on the cheek as more than what it's meant to be taken as well as having April sharing virtually none of his common interests for a relationship to escalate from it being one-sided on Don's part.

This is true. One of my favorite kisses in a movie was in A Time To Kill, when Jake kissed Ellen on the forehead after she survived the beating.

Shark_Blade
07-13-2014, 06:57 PM
they are siblings they should probably back off.
Technically, they're not.

So they can shag all they want. :fshifty: :tcouch:

CyberCubed
07-13-2014, 06:59 PM
April is usually dull and the Nick series is no exception. However I found the Karai-Leo relationship in 2k3 to be compelling and emotional. In Nick it's fun... but now that they are siblings they should probably back off.

April in Nick either actually has feelings for Don, or is leading him on since the writers think that's what women like to do. She is very flirtatious with her kisses.

April is never dull.

Warhorse
07-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Technically, they're not.

So they can shag all they want. :fshifty: :tcouch:

Yep. It's the Brady Bunch fiasco all over again.

ssjup81
07-14-2014, 12:22 AM
I asked weeks ago after I finally saw the Nick ep, Wormquake" if there was some kind of inside joke of Donnie even having a crush on April. No one answered it, though. I guess this thread kind of answers the question. So it seems that the 2k3 series really inspired the Leo/Karai, Donnie/April potential... April is usually dull and the Nick series is no exception. However I found the Karai-Leo relationship in 2k3 to be compelling and emotional. In Nick it's fun... but now that they are siblings they should probably back off.No they aren't. ^^ They aren't blood related. Seems "species" would be more of an issue. lolApril in Nick either actually has feelings for Don, or is leading him on since the writers think that's what women like to do. She is very flirtatious with her kisses.Why do people feel she's flirtatious with Donnie? I dunno, I just don't really see it. If she kissed Donnie for absolutely no reason, then I'd agree, but each time she's hugged him or kissed him, she was usually overwhelmed with emotion or the kisses were meant as "thank you". When sad, she's hugged Donnie. When happy she's hugged him. When seeing Donnie upset, she's hugged him. Very platonic and innocent, imo.

Shark_Blade
07-14-2014, 01:39 AM
Yeah April never became suddenly horny and gave Donnie a mouthful kiss or anything like that. She's not "flirtatious".

Metropoliskid41
07-14-2014, 03:53 PM
I think the Turtles have always sort of had a thing for April, that was pretty apparent in the first 2 Live Action movies, they have just made it more a specific thing to Don in the last 2 series, kind of like schtick. It seems that the Nick series is really trying to imprint or at least expand past character traits as the main defining points of the Turtles. Mikey has always been a little flakey, especially in 2K3, but even more so in Nick. Raph has always been angry, but now that has been amplified to him being an outright jerk and bully at times. Mikey is at his dumbest and Raph is at his meanest (at least with regards to his siblings) in the franchise history so far in the Nick Toon. Maybe Don's crush on April is now his defining schtick, at least with how the Nick Toon is concerned.

Cryomancer
07-14-2014, 04:31 PM
The turtles in the first couple movies are totally into her, probably in a "we are teenagers and she is a woman we are in proximity to" sort of way. There are parts of Mirage and the OT that imply a similar sort of thing going on too.

I suppose Don specifically liking April could also be a Mirage idea, since he had that April robot thing for some unexplained reason.

DarthEmpress
07-14-2014, 08:06 PM
The turtles in the first couple movies are totally into her, probably in a "we are teenagers and she is a woman we are in proximity to" sort of way. There are parts of Mirage and the OT that imply a similar sort of thing going on too.

I suppose Don specifically liking April could also be a Mirage idea, since he had that April robot thing for some unexplained reason.

Which he gave to Raph...for whatever purpose, boggles my mind... :ohwell:

MsMarvelDuckie
07-15-2014, 09:43 PM
I don't EVEN wanna know..... :teek::tconfuse:

Cryomancer
07-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Probably because Raphael was pretty much living as a crazy hermit in the woods at that point. Maybe the robot can treat medical issues or something for him, who knows. Or he just wanted his brother to have SOME form of companionship to break his isolation.

Hopefully I'm getting my future timelines remotely straight here, I might not be.

Lou 500
07-25-2014, 04:32 PM

Damn I need to buy that comic.

Rooish
07-25-2014, 10:04 PM
That was quite possibly the most messed up moment in all of Mirage.