PDA

View Full Version : "Thor" now a woman....

psychturtle
07-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Listen, I'm fine with including more women in the comic universe. I actively advocate for more diversity in comics. THAT BEING SAID, why not just create a different character instead of making thor a woman!? I don't really like this nor do a lot of other fans I've talke to. Thor is my top 3 favorite characters. I'm cool if it's a different character taking over the hammer. Yet, wtf? Why make him a she?! Do not like this at all. What do you guys think?

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/marvels-thor-now-woman-163100746.html

Mutant Ninja Anole
07-15-2014, 11:07 PM
She'll take the title for awhile, could get some good stories, then the original Thor will be back in time for the 3rd Thor movie, while the new character, if received well, will take on a unique identity and her own book, like Steel started off as a Superman replacement. I wouldn't worry about it.

BabyTurtles
07-15-2014, 11:16 PM
:D cool.

the whole idea reminds me of Wonder Women though XD

CyberCubed
07-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Does anyone even read Thor comics? I can't think of anyone other than people who grew up in the 70's.

Mutant Ninja Anole
07-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Does anyone even read Thor comics? I can't think of anyone other than people who grew up in the 70's.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2014/2014-06.html

Apparently more than read the Turtles at least.

But yeah, Thor has plenty of fans, what with him starring in 3 movies in the last few years. The trade paperbacks got good reviews as well. Ive Svorcina was nominated for an Eisner for interior art.

pennydreadful
07-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Over the history of Thor, Thor has been a frog, an alien, a blue collar Joe named Thunderstrike, powerless, and "drawn" by Rob Liefeld. But apparently a woman is a bridge too far. Yeah, right.

Seriously, I don't know why people are bothered by this regardless - much as I love the concept, I'm fairly resigned to the fact that it'll die in the neck after everyone refuses to buy it.

Shred Head
07-16-2014, 12:10 AM
This sounds stupid like really really stupid this female Thor is Thor but not Thor I'm confused. Also I'm not sure I could of sworn Storm could wield Mjolnir so this isn't anything new if that's the case. Kinda wished they would explore that a little more would be cool if she became the new Thor for awhile. But Marvel would have to give a **** about characters they don't own the movie rights to. So yeah that ain't happening.

In fact who wants to bet this will last tell Avengers 2 promotion starts and they need a guy that looks like Chris Hemsworth on every cover. She'll lose the Thor name and Mjolnir get her own Hammer be called Thunderstike 2 or 5 how many of those ****ing things there are. Get her own series that will be cancelled in about 8 issues then a year later to appear in whatever event comic there shilling for three panels only to die as cannon fodder. Marvel is so predictable now I'm buying the least I ever did.

Candy Kappa
07-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Not a fan of Thor being an alter ego, Donald Blake or that dude in Thunderstrike. There should be only one Thor, saying there is a new Thor is like saying there is a new Bruce Wayne. :roll:

Now, if Thor gets genderbent like Loki was for a while, sure why not. There is some interesting stories there I'm sure, although we do have Earth X Thor who is female, and the What If story where Jane Foster gets the hammer and becomes Thordis.

The costume do have some cool bits, but it still got those stupid idiotic boob armor cups. No, just no! A metal armor with boob cups is a hazard for the wearer as the cups will lead any weapon to the middle weak point and kill the wearer, or if the wearers falls down, the metal boob cups will break the ribcage. This is freaking armor basics, and sexist ********. He helmet is cool though, although with the boob cups and revealed thigs, it's kinda a bad combo as all you need is T&A and no face, amirite...

And hey, want some kick ass Norse superheroes that is female, make more Sif stories, y'know, Thor's wife, guess it isn't marvel canon, but it damn should be. And then there is Valkyrie. Or introduce other female sir, There is more then just Sif and Frigga, There is even Thor's actually mom Jr, a Jotunn. Or Freya, as examples.

JamieH
07-16-2014, 02:36 AM
Of course there will be backlash and of course this won't be permanent.

I admit I'm hesitant on the idea. But, Jason Aaron is on writing duties, so it stands to reason it could be quite good. Really people, if you want to question his ability to write a good Thor story, you need to read Thor: God of Thunder. It is a shame that Esad Ribic won't be doing the art. But from what little I have seen of Russell Dauterman's work, he looks competent.

pennydreadful
07-16-2014, 03:32 AM
Hey, I think genderbending characters can be fun. Remember when they did it with Lobo?

http://simonbisleygallery.com/art/biz00287.jpg

Technically, if you include NuLobo, Lobo's been turned into a woman twice. ;)

And Luse becoming Lucy during Poison Elves was just brilliant.

http://www.tgfa.org/comics/elves/images/PElves_36_Cover.jpg

Seriously though, why worry about it. It'll last for two years tops, then they'll bring back male Thor and female Thor will get some short-lived spinoff series. It'll be like the time they killed Superman - it won't last, things will be back to the usual status quo in no time. Meanwhile, why not give female Thor a chance? It may end up being really good.

Netkeeper
07-16-2014, 03:46 AM
I'm happy about this! Love how Marvel is paying attention to the lack of female heroes out there and trying to fix it.

pingclang
07-16-2014, 05:21 AM
Marvel's been making a lot of weird choices and changes lately. They're stupid and gimmicky(sp?) but it's Marvel. They won't reset but they sure as heck won' leave things alone either.

Ninjinister
07-16-2014, 06:23 AM
How much you wanna bet it's Angela?

Technically, if you include NuLobo, Lobo's been turned into a woman twice. ;)

ZING!

psychturtle
07-16-2014, 07:15 AM
I'm cool with thor letting someone else wield the hammer. I don't like how he loses his name, I mean what do we call the son of Odin now? I like how Marvel is including more diversity. However, this makes no sense. Just let it be a different character.

Oh and I've been reading Thor comics for years now. Lol

ZariusTwo
07-16-2014, 09:05 AM
I keep hearing rumors they're going to reboot the Marvel timeline early next year, so they're just pulling any old stunt out of their ass knowing they won't stick to it. By the time Avengers II comes out, the original Thor will be back in the saddle

plastroncafe
07-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Not a fan of Thor being an alter ego, Donald Blake or that dude in Thunderstrike. There should be only one Thor, saying there is a new Thor is like saying there is a new Bruce Wayne. :roll:

It's more like saying there's a new Batman, of which there've been several by this point.

I don't have a horse in this race, I just love watching fanboys impotently flail in the face of change.

Cry MOAR!

Candy Kappa
07-16-2014, 12:10 PM
It's more like saying there's a new Batman, of which there've been several by this point.

I don't have a horse in this race, I just love watching fanboys impotently flail in the face of change.

Cry MOAR!

Not really, since Thor is a person (asgardian), this isn't the same as a new Batman or Spider-Man.

Now, a group of Valkyries functioning like sgard's version of Avengers would be interesting.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Boy, this won't last long. Age of Ultron comes out in a few months, and then everyone will be interested in the Avengers again. People will go in and ask, "Where do you keep the Thor comics?" "Right over there." And then people will look at the cover and say, "Wait, I want to read a THOR comic, not some comic about a lady pretending to be Thor!"

If Marvel's smart (they haven't shown themselves to be with this decision) they'll revert back when AoU comes out. They'll get a lot more sales.

Even if AoU weren't coming out, Marvel would revert back to normal Thor sooner or later - because when has a comic character ever stayed dead? Even Uncle Ben comes back all the time in dreams or alternate dimensions. They brought Peter back for Spider-Man recently, didn't they (though, that was because ASM 2 was coming out, so maybe that's not the best example)?

Slade
07-16-2014, 10:52 PM
I like Marvel, I just don't read the comics. Tried to buy atleast one, couldn't figure out what I wanted to read. Anyway, this won't last long. I honestly don't see the point of it anyway.

pennydreadful
07-16-2014, 11:29 PM

Cry MOAR!

I guess you could say they're feeling...

a little thor about it. 8)

Oh yeah! :lol:

Candy Kappa
07-17-2014, 01:55 AM
A wizard did it.

Or Loki.

JamieH
07-17-2014, 02:50 AM
Well, according to Jason Aaron this will be an all new "Thor." So there won't really be any real gender bending, like when Loki was a woman (hiding in Sif's reborn body after the ragnarok). I also don't think it'll be Angela. If Jason Aaron says this is a continuation of his plans and story from "Thor: God of Thunder", I'm going into this new wielder of mjolnir optimistically. He also stated that the Odin-son will still be around, so I am very curious to see how an unworthy Thor plays out.

Considering how much Marvel plays with time travel like a ragged red headed step child, I'm thinking the new Thor will be one of Thor's granddaughters. Or their mother, or their grandmother... basically I think it's going to be an in the family sort of thing (but not Angela). Hell, it could even be a descendant of Loki.

Candy Kappa
07-17-2014, 02:56 AM
It would be awesome if Sif had to wield the hammer for a while, and she finally got her golden hair in Marvel canon.

Ninjinister
07-17-2014, 05:55 AM
Even if AoU weren't coming out, Marvel would revert back to normal Thor sooner or later - because when has a comic character ever stayed dead?

Nobody's dead in this scenario.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Nobody's dead in this scenario.

Well, he might as well be. The real Thor will be back before you know it.

ZariusTwo
07-19-2014, 02:30 PM
The male Thor will still be playing a part in the Avengers books, he'll be using an axe instead of a hammer.

Candy Kappa
07-19-2014, 02:45 PM
So... There is two Thors then? Didn't they say the female Thor was still The Thor?

... Wait. Is Thor now a Disney Princess?

Leo656
07-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Conversations like that prove exactly how short-sighted and dumb this idea is. I mean, in the end it's just another temporary story that the media is blowing out of proportion like when Superman died, or got new powers... it kills me when they get SO swept up in this, though, because in 18 months not only will everything be back to the status quo, but nobody's ever gonna bring it up again, except to say, "Oh, man, remember that? Oof."

They could actually use those issues to tell "real" stories instead of trying to buy Brownie Points with the PC Police. :roll: Eh, not too many people read Thor anyway. But if Dude Thor is still around, having Chick Thor take over the main book is even more silly. Remember when Superman did that "World of New Krypton" thing in 2010 that took forever, and Superman wasn't in the main books anymore, even though he was still in the DCU and showing up in other books? They had Mon-El carry one book, Nightwing and Flamebird carrying the other book, and nobody at all read that sh*t. People were like, "Why would I buy a book called 'Superman' where Superman shows up on zero pages?"

Likewise, they can call the new chick "Thor", but it ain't. And it's even more "ain't" because the character's still hangin' around! They could have at least "killed" the guy off, but I guess they didn't want to because killing Thor seems like something they do a lot of as it is.

I mean, it's their book, you do have to shake things up and it's their story to tell, but with some things, you don't have to be a genius to have enough foresight to realize that ten years from now, people are going to say, "Why'd they waste their time with that?"

I'unno, both companies the last few years are pissing me off with all the stunts over stories crap. That and the price just really pushed me out of it.

Jester
07-20-2014, 12:41 AM
Thor I can...kinda...understand. I mean the hammer does have the whole inscription.

BUT...why not give Sif or Valkyrie more to do? I mean, we have already created female characters, why not develop them instead of making She-Thor?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on on Sam "Falcon" Wilson becoming the new Captain America?

Leo656
07-20-2014, 01:29 AM
It's... interesting. Cap has recently become a "Legacy" character, so there's some precedent for it, I just find the timing... suspicious.

The two biggest "Aryan Wet Dream" Avengers get flipped upside-down in the same week or so? I don't knowwwww, maaaaaaan... that's what makes me think the main reasoning behind the entire thing was no more complicated than, "Wow... sure are a lot of white dudes on The Avengers. Could we get in trouble for that?"

I'm not really a Marvel guy anyway and haven't been able to buy comics in a long time regardless, but I kind of shake my head when I hear about stuff like this. So often it just seems so forced and contrived. If nothing else, spreading those two changes out a little bit would go a long way towards making the whole thing seem less like an editorial mandate and more like genuine character/story progression.

Candy Kappa
07-20-2014, 03:50 AM
Sam Wilson's costume looked pretty cool, a lot better then Thor's female costume, as it got boob windows in the armor and possible a open belly window?

Jester
07-20-2014, 03:52 AM
I'll miss the Falcon's abilities....but if anyone should be the "new" Cap I can't think of anyone better.

And the costume is cool.

Leo656
07-20-2014, 05:23 AM
I'm just gonna leave this right here... ;)

q55M6X2cOtk

Mr._Mutant_Man
07-20-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm happy about this! Love how Marvel is paying attention to the lack of female heroes out there and trying to fix it.

I don't think there's a lack of female superheroes. A lack of spotlight for them? With the exception of Wonder Woman in DC, yes. However, I think Marvel could have just given an established female superhero a "push" (to use a wrestling term) as a main Avenger. However, that wouldn't have gotten the same amount of press as replacing Thor.

I'm not against the idea of a female Thor. I'll give it a shot depending on the reviews. However, the cynic in me sees this as a PR stunt first and foremost. Plus, anyone who has read more than a few years worth of comics knows these changes don't last. Heck, even Barry Allen came back as the Flash after 20+ years.

Leo656
07-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Yeah, man, there's literally a billion female super-heroes, of every race, color, and religion under the sun. Diversity, or lack thereof, is not the problem. The problem is, the general public only pays attention when there's a PR stunt like this. I'm much more familiar with the DC stable of characters, but Marvel has about twice as many characters as DC to begin with, so I'd assume based on what I've seen with my own eyes that a ton of them are chicks.

The problem is in how they present the characters they already have. You know how many people just assume Wolverine's the leader of the X-Men? I don't really follow their books, but even if he was at some point, I know for a fact Storm has put much more time in a leadership role. How many people know that, though?

You don't need to "flip" characters, and you really don't even need to create new ones. They already have a ton of stuff to work with, but taking a semi-obscure character and elevating them actually takes time and work. "Hey, look! Thor's got tits!" That's easy. And lazy.

JamieH
07-20-2014, 03:45 PM
The recent changes, and news of changes to come, of Thor and Asgard are likely the right changes. Asgard has just had to leave Broxton, OK and earth itself. It was getting to a point that Asgard had overstayed it's welcome. Sometimes some things need to go away for a little while, otherwise they can begin to sour. Thor can be that way.

Look if Marvel had tossed a random writer onto this, sure, I could understand the negative opinions. But fact is that the guy that's been writing Thor for the past... I think 3 years, who has also been doing an amazing job, is still behind this new Thor. And whatever your opinion on Marvel may be, they do seem to trust their talent a bit more when they've proven themselves to be successful.

Also, if you haven't been reading comics for some time, you've got a limited knowledge on things. You don't have a current understanding on what's been going on or how well they've been done. Like it or not, you've become the same general public that doesn't know what's really happening or has happened.

And so what if things revert? Is it not possible that before they do we get some great storytelling that stands out on it's own? If you get too wrapped up in canon and changes (and fear of them) you can't enjoy something that is good on it's own merits. You certainly can't if you doom it to failure without knowing (or ignoring) the details or even giving it a chance.

Leo656
07-20-2014, 03:59 PM
I see what you're getting at, but how many times have comics tried some big, dramatic "new direction" that only, at the end of the day, leaves people saying, "Wow, I wish they never did that"? I'm not saying "Never try anything new," but a lot of the times, flat-out bad ideas are obvious on their face, and once they're over, people just look back on the whole thing as wasted time, money and effort.

Sometimes you can just tell certain things aren't a good idea. Doing stories that you already know are going to be overwritten and then forever ignored in less than three years time? That's a really bad way to tell stories, if you ask me. I mean, I guess sometimes you never know until you try it, and it can go both ways, too - "World of New Krypton" was a Superman storyline that sounded like it absolutely had to be awesome, until they dragged it out in the most boring way possible and ruined it. But I think when some things just seem so blatantly designed solely to get some attention, it's already a bad idea.

If anyone looks back on these angles in ten years as anything other than, "Oof, remember that?" I'll be surprised.

rickwj324
07-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Over the history of Thor, Thor has been a frog, an alien, a blue collar Joe named Thunderstrike, powerless, and "drawn" by Rob Liefeld. But apparently a woman is a bridge too far. Yeah, right.

Seriously, I don't know why people are bothered by this regardless - much as I love the concept, I'm fairly resigned to the fact that it'll die in the neck after everyone refuses to buy it.

Out of everything you just mentioned....the scariest one of them all is the "drawn by Rob Liefield" comment!! I got the shivers reading that.... :o

Candy Kappa
07-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Y'know what would be very awesome?

if the new Thor was rr, or Thrud. She is real-life Thor's daughter. Or maybe Torunn, Marvel's Thor's daughter in that animated movie (iirc)

But, Thrud would be great.

pennydreadful
07-21-2014, 01:03 AM
They could actually use those issues to tell "real" stories instead of trying to buy Brownie Points with the PC Police.

Leo, if the PC Police don't regularly receive their tithe of genderbent and racebent characters, I hear they blight your crops and steal your firstborn. :P

Leolead
07-21-2014, 01:33 AM
Sounds like Superiour Spider-Man all over again Why not just make a series using a newly introduced character? This is just straight up stupid, just like Superior Spiderman, Technically, Thor Odinson is not turning female, he is losing the right to wield Mjolnir, and a female is taking his place.. well some people are taking it out of proportion though.

JamieH
07-21-2014, 05:18 AM
I don't want to derail or go off topic here, but Superior Spider-Man was great. Doc Ock fixed every damn problem Peter Parker had in short order. By questionable means, but he got results. And it was actually a great example of how dangerous Spidey really is and could be. Plus, it created new problems for Peter Parker. Which it may seem like he always had plenty of those, but it had reached a point where you sort of knew what was going to happen next. Now? Hell, anything could happen. Even when Anna Maria told Peter she was pregnant, I halfway bought it for that brief moment until she revealed she only said it to get a chance to speak to him alone. Hell, I wanted it to be true. Even if the possibility of a midget Spider-Baby was to be retconned, I wanedt to see that played out. Christ, you want to talk about giving Peter Parker some guilt, imagine if she was pregnant, had a miscarriage and/or died, and the reason was because of his altered DNA and her body being unable to cope because of her size. He'd feel guiltier than a devout Catholic that used a condom.

It wasn't perfect, but it was a great change of pace. Now, you want to talk about bad Spidey story lines, One More Day. How that bag of bones Aunt May is still alive is beyond me. Hell, she has a better love life than Peter now. That just seems wrong on some level. They took away the one thing Peter Parker had to look forward to when he went home or called it a night, his jackpot, Mary Jane Watson. I mean damn, he accidentally kills his first love, possibly the love of his life, then he makes a deal with the devil that makes it so his marriage to his second love had never ****ing happened? All so Aunt May can live and he can get his secret identity back? That there was a tragedy and horrible case of a retcon.

Leolead
07-21-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry but i have to disagree, i'm a huge Spidey fan, i think the Ultimate universe handling of Spider-Man is phenomenal, and I think they treated it like a big deal, that Peter Parker went off as a hero to all. But reading t Superior Spider-Man actually disgusts me to the point I'm pretty done with it.
You have Doc Ock taking over Peter Parker's body and killing him. Then you have Spider-Man publicly killing people.

THEN they give a bit of hope that Peter Parker's still alive, and that he might be able to take back his body. Only to crush that hope very completely and kill him off in an undignified, stupidly bitter fashion. aside the idiocy of body-swapping Spider-Man with a cancer-ridden Doctor Octopus, that the Avengers realize something's wrong but the test results aren't able to be interpreted by the genius Avengers because they had the day off. you have Peter Parker shown to not have enough character or spirit to fight off Otto Octavius in his own head. It p!sses me off and just feels idiotic.

Leo656
07-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Maybe I've only been exposed to "Bad Marvel", but that kinda stuff is a big reason why I never got into them. The art always looks good but the stories themselves seem so bad. Even reading summaries and synopses, so much of it's like, "What?" It's like they always got over by selling manufactured "angst" combined with very pretty pictures.

I'unno, DC's done more than their share of garbage, too, especially the last 5-10 years. A lot of people I converse about comics with pretty much have DC as more the "Story" company and Marvel as the "Art" company. DC's books never seem to care if their stuff looks good or not (some is amazing, some of it so amateurish it's insulting), but Marvel's stuff always looks great even if the story is nonsense.

I mean, both companies DID pay Rob Liefeld at some point, so there's lots of problems with both of 'em... but that's how I always seen them in general terms. I really like the Marvel movies, too, in that they do a good job of telling the basic story without all the clutter and crap that the books have. The movies have their own good and bad parts but they're infinitely more accessible than the comics.

JamieH
07-21-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm sorry but i have to disagree, i'm a huge Spidey fan, i think the Ultimate universe handling of Spider-Man is phenomenal, and I think they treated it like a big deal, that Peter Parker went off as a hero to all. But reading t Superior Spider-Man actually disgusts me to the point I'm pretty done with it.
You have Doc Ock taking over Peter Parker's body and killing him. Then you have Spider-Man publicly killing people.

THEN they give a bit of hope that Peter Parker's still alive, and that he might be able to take back his body. Only to crush that hope very completely and kill him off in an undignified, stupidly bitter fashion. aside the idiocy of body-swapping Spider-Man with a cancer-ridden Doctor Octopus, that the Avengers realize something's wrong but the test results aren't able to be interpreted by the genius Avengers because they had the day off. you have Peter Parker shown to not have enough character or spirit to fight off Otto Octavius in his own head. It p!sses me off and just feels idiotic.

So... you probably didn't like What If? Spier-Man Vs. Wolverine? (http://marvel.wikia.com/What_If%3F_Spider-Man_Vs._Wolverine_Vol_1_1)

And you have to admit the first few issues of Ultimate Spidey were rough. I've talked to so many people that couldn't get past those first few issues. I haven't read Ultimate Spidey in years, but I did read, I think, the first 14 or so TPB volumes and I enjoyed everything after those initial issues. From what I've heard the initial poor reception and sales to Ultimate SM is why #1 went up in value so quickly and continues to do so. What I'm saying is, Ultimate has it's faults too.

But, come on, you don't like Jonah being able to legitimately say Spider-Man is a menace because of the nasty things Doc Ock did while he was in control? Heh. How about the fact that it seems they're updating Jonah's character by having him become a talking head with his own show on a news network? Which, I think it's brilliant, that's pretty much what he was before such people and shows became a thing.

But yeah, I understand your point/s if you're a big Spidey guy. Over the years I've just gotten a lot more lax about continuity. But, I admit to getting uptight about Wolverine stuff since I'm a big Wolverine fan. So I totally see where you're coming from.

But ah, agree to disagree?

Raven
07-21-2014, 09:57 PM
The current arcs on Thor have been wonderful, and since this change is being handled by the same writer I'm game. For me its all how its presented, because we all know its going to get changed back in a year or so.

So I'm going to enjoy the ride and see what they do with this situation, it just cant possible be any thing worse then the clone wars.

ZariusTwo
07-22-2014, 11:27 AM
I agree with Leolead, Superior Spider-Man was intellect-insulting garbage that can only be enjoyed by intentionally lowering your standards and displaying a deliberate lack of respect and understanding of the Spider-Man world and the standard intelligence of the supporting cast, none of which was on display through this story, if it were, it would have been blissfully short or at least a hell of a lot more interesting. It is almost worse than One More Day and the notion it got incredible sales baffles and infuriates me, but then, these are the same people who pay for Bayformers movies.

I look forward to the day someone new takes over the EIC posistions and cosmic retcons all of this crap. Thank god the Spidey newspaper strip and Spider-Girl universes, both far superior reads in contrast to Slott's wretched drivel, completly ignore this stuff and establish Peter is pretty damn well-off.

To put it in greater perspective, Superior is so mind-numbingly terrible that the newspaper comic is presently devoting a whole arc to showing how it SHOULD have been done, and all without a Freaky Friday mind-switch. The result? Infinitely better story

PS: Peter's said several times in the comics that MJ is the love of his life, so no "perhaps" in regards to Gwen being that.

Leolead
07-22-2014, 02:19 PM
JamieH well i actually enjoyed the first 8 issues of USM, i noW have 11 volumes/graphic novels of USM, but yeah let's just agree to disagree, no hard feeilings, but this is getting off topic lol, i'll give this new Thor a chance like SSM.