PDA

View Full Version : Man "The Monster Hunter" was an awful episode

CyberCubed
07-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Rewatching through Season 1 and I always hate this episode. Of all the stories they could make when the gang are stuck at Nothampton, this is what they come up with? Some looney transgenered (?) female scientist hunting monsters? I know the Green monsters are tied into the Lost City plot later on, but its a throwaway bit.

The only good parts is Leonardo and Raphael working together to forge new swords. I would have prefered seeing something similar to Movie 1 or Mirage issue #11 with April writing a diary of the Turtles all trying to better themselves as they prepare to return to New York. Not...this filler mess.

Worst episode of Season 1, below the Turtle Titan episode, and the Garbageman one which I even liked.

Powder
07-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Yeah, it's absolutely terrible. But most of the 4kids original characters are.

Raven
07-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Thanks, I tried wiping that awful episode from my memory. 4kids had a habit of making really useless, unmemorable characters.

When this show was good, it was amazing but when it was bad...it was friggin horrible. This episode being a perfect example, as well as the garbage man episode you mentioned.

CyberCubed
07-17-2014, 10:49 PM
The first Garbageman episode was pretty good for a filler, it was remake of the classic B:TAS episode. The second one was terrible though.

The 4kids series did have some really bad filler episodes at times. They're easy to look over but when I rewatch a series I don't like to skip episodes, even if I know I don't like them.

pennydreadful
07-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Oh Cubed... you're so obvious sometimes.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140206153504/tmnt/images/9/95/TMNT_Abigail_Finn_1.jpg

Jester
07-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Parker !!

CyberCubed
07-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Seriously, sometimes I'd rather another stupid/silly mutant over some bland human character and crap themed filler. Her entire character was based on getting a network TV deal for a monster hunter show. She's a dumb hick.

What a waste that they didn't adapt April writing in her journal like the first movie did.

miru
07-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Someone should make an Animated Atrocity card for this episode.

Netkeeper
07-18-2014, 07:32 AM
transgenered (?)
http://i.imgur.com/7akZYQ9.gif
**** off, boy. Masculine women are allowed to be masculine.

Also I thought this episode was adorable and amusing. Seeing Mikey and Donnie fumble their way through the first half is precious and I'd kill for more cute stuff like that [especially with those two] in this series.

ABrown
07-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Come on, it wasn't that bad. I'll take a 4Kids filler episode over a Nickelodeon mutant-of-the-week episode any day. Plus it wasn't even 100% a filler episode. It did feature Leo's progression in getting over what happened to him the Shredder Strikes back episodes.

tmntpower1988
07-18-2014, 01:40 PM
The episode was okay, it wasn't great but I did still find it watchable. There was some other weaker episodes too like The Golden Puck (even though it did have some funny Casey moments lol).

I'll take a 4Kids filler episode over a Nickelodeon mutant-of-the-week episode any day.

Agree 100% with this. This is exactly what I was thinking earlier when I was reading through this thread.

Cipher
07-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Yeah, it's absolutely terrible. But most of the 4kids original characters are.
Bishop? Hun? Ch'rell? Fast Foward's rogues gallery was pretty solid too.

This episode was iffy, though.

pingclang
07-18-2014, 03:36 PM
I must be weird, I enjoyed this episode. Ive only seen season 1 but Ive yet to see a 2k3 episode I haven't liked.

Icebot
07-18-2014, 03:54 PM
I liked this episode, not one of my favorites but I liked it.

Donnieangelo
07-19-2014, 01:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7akZYQ9.gif
**** off, boy. Masculine women are allowed to be masculine.

Also I thought this episode was adorable and amusing. Seeing Mikey and Donnie fumble their way through the first half is precious and I'd kill for more cute stuff like that [especially with those two] in this series.
Yep, I think that's true.

TheSkeletonMan939
07-19-2014, 01:20 PM
This episode was pretty awful. "Garbageman" was worse though.

And that crazy hunter lady was extremely annoying. The whole episode I was hoping the green monster would kill her.

pennydreadful
07-19-2014, 01:50 PM
I like it. Dr Finn pings my gaydar. :D I'll help that babe hunt monsters any day!

Donnieangelo
07-19-2014, 02:16 PM
I like it. Dr Finn pings my gaydar. :D I'll help that babe hunt monsters any day!
Yet she is a "certified lunatic" as Donatello would put it. :lol:

Blossombrooks
07-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Hmm, it had quite a few cute bits which I liked. I actually found Parker waaaay more annoying than Abigail Finn, it was the over-hammed British accent I think (sorry Mr Sinterniklaas, I adore you voicing Leo ;) ) I half expected him to yell out "Cor blimey Mary Poppins!"

Netkeeper
07-19-2014, 04:10 PM
And Mikey telling Donnie she was his type was hilarious.

Geniuses confirmed for Donnie's type. Just not Finn. :V

pennydreadful
07-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Yet she is a "certified lunatic" as Donatello would put it. :lol:

Crazy like a fox! ;)

Donnieangelo
07-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Crazy like a fox! ;)
Indeed, she is!

slingtheory
07-19-2014, 08:38 PM
Ah it wasn't that bad. I wish they would've done more with northampton than just this one episode but it was passable for what it was. I loved the part after don and mikey escaped from the truck and caseys like I can't believe you two knuckle heads walked right into a trap and splinter just deadpans I believe it without even opening his eyes from meditating.

tmntpower1988
07-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Imo I don't think there is an awful 2k3 episode. There were some weaker episodes but most of them were amazing. I didn't struggle to watch any episode. Seasons 1-5 are the best cartoon incarnation of the TMNT. Fast Forward and BTTS weren't as good though unfortunately. What happened there? The series was dark but then it became light hearted, Fast Forward and BTTS felt so out of place. Hated the way they changed the animation too, the turtles with those puppy dog eyes in BTTS was a big turn off.

CyberCubed
07-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Fast Forwards episodes were better than a lot of the single filler episodes of Seasons 1-4.

Newton Gimmick
07-20-2014, 01:43 PM
I remember liking the snow environment in this one. Haven't watched the episode in a long time.

ABrown
07-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Fast Forwards episodes were better than a lot of the single filler episodes of Seasons 1-4.

I'll absolutely agree with that. The Fast Forward episodes really weren't bad. I think had the fifth season (the Ninja Tribunal season) come out before the FF season did, a lot of people like myself would've been far less critical of the FF season at the time. The series could've came to an end after the Ninja Tribunal season. That sense of closure would've made it far easier to accept Fast Forward.

The-Shredder
07-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Strange, I liked this episode. It's got some pretty funny scenes in it.

CyberCubed
07-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Strange, I liked this episode. It's got some pretty funny scenes in it.

Outside of the scenes with Raph helping Leo with his swords, the rest was meh. Why didn't they have April writing in her journal?

Xav
07-20-2014, 09:31 PM
I wish they would've done more with northampton than just this one episode but it was passable for what it was.They did, Tales of Leo, Reflections, H.A.T.E., Cousin Sid, The People’s Choice, Sons of the Silent Age, and Wedding Bells and Bytes.

Jeff
07-20-2014, 09:32 PM
I'll take a 4Kids filler episode over a Nickelodeon mutant-of-the-week episode any day.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6i75j6WXs1qfph1s.gif

CyberCubed
07-20-2014, 10:17 PM
They did, Tales of Leo, Reflections, H.A.T.E., Cousin Sid, The People’s Choice, Sons of the Silent Age, and Wedding Bells and Bytes.

I think he means in a row. In Mirage, there were about 7 or so "filler stories" set in Northampton before they returned to New York.

In 4kids aside from Tales of Leo, there was just this one episode, and they went back already. You didn't really feel like they were exiled like they were in Mirage, or that they had to train and get better before they came back to face Shredder. Even the first movie did this to make you feel like they were stuck at Northampton for a while.

Sometimes I wish those eps you mentioned took place in this gap, but I guess the writers wanted to rush them back to NYC before the season ended.

Netkeeper
07-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Time constraints are probably to blame for that. They might not have been able to make a season run too many episodes.

CyberCubed
07-21-2014, 07:20 AM
Time constraints are probably to blame for that. They might not have been able to make a season run too many episodes.

They could have delayed the Utrom stuff till Season 2, and ended Season 1 on "Return to New York Part 3."

Remember there were 3 more episodes in Season 1 after they defeated Shredder.

Netkeeper
07-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Yep, I'm aware. But I think it was better to cut the time in spent away short than it was to change the ending of the season; season 1's ending was awesome.

Metropoliskid41
07-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Rewatching through Season 1 and I always hate this episode. Of all the stories they could make when the gang are stuck at Nothampton, this is what they come up with? Some looney transgenered (?) female scientist hunting monsters? I know the Green monsters are tied into the Lost City plot later on, but its a throwaway bit.

The only good parts is Leonardo and Raphael working together to forge new swords. I would have prefered seeing something similar to Movie 1 or Mirage issue #11 with April writing a diary of the Turtles all trying to better themselves as they prepare to return to New York. Not...this filler mess.

Worst episode of Season 1, below the Turtle Titan episode, and the Garbageman one which I even liked.

You aren't kidding. I rewatched it tonight, I forgot how truly awful it was. Everytime she screamed "Park-ker!" I wanted to throw my remote thru my TV. Why are her arms so huge? She has bigger arms than Lou Ferrigno. The only way arms that big are possible is steroids, and if she was on them her voice would have been a whole lot deeper.

pennydreadful
07-23-2014, 11:54 PM
Maybe she pumps iron when she's not hunting monsters - who cares?

Netkeeper
07-24-2014, 02:05 AM
Yeah, seriously, there's NOTHING wrong with her appearance. I like it. Women are allowed to be muscular. Stop it.

ABrown
07-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Yeah, seriously, there's NOTHING wrong with her appearance. I like it. Women are allowed to be muscular. Stop it.

They certainly can. However, there are people (like myself) who think that it looks ridiculous when guys or girls are too muscular.

Metropoliskid41
07-24-2014, 07:51 AM

I have nothing against muscular women at all, trust me, but there is no woman on the planet that has arms that big. Seriously, her arms are almost as big Hun's. They severely over exaggerated her physique, and they certainly didn't need to. Her arms are bigger than Silver Sentry's, who appeared just a couple episodes prior. They could have made her muscular like She-Hulk without just going for broke and slapping Bruce Banner Hulk arms on her.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-24-2014, 09:40 AM
This episode was fine. I liked it.

neatoman
07-24-2014, 01:46 PM
This episode was fine. I liked it.

YOU MONSTER!
Nah but seriously, it might be a mostly pointless episode but at least it's not as bad as some of the episodes from the first cartoon. Just watched "the gang's all here", that was awful in almost every aspect.

Netkeeper
07-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I have nothing against muscular women at all, trust me, but there is no woman on the planet that has arms that big. Seriously, her arms are almost as big Hun's. They severely over exaggerated her physique, and they certainly didn't need to. Her arms are bigger than Silver Sentry's, who appeared just a couple episodes prior. They could have made her muscular like She-Hulk without just going for broke and slapping Bruce Banner Hulk arms on her.

Okay, then where's all the people complaining about Hun for being unrealistic in muscle build? She's a ****ing cartoon.

Newton Gimmick
07-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Someone post a pic of her. I don't remember her.

CyberCubed
07-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Someone post a pic of her. I don't remember her.

Someone posted her pic on the first page. :roll:

pennydreadful
07-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Someone did - but here's another, cuz why the shell not:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100124065538/tmnt/images/c/c7/Tmnt_blog020-08.png

Seriously, her build is fine. I don't interpret her as being white anyway - where I live, there are a lot of people with Maori heritage, so I'm used to seeing women who are larger through the shoulders and arms.

Don't be hatin' on Abi - she's a big old softie. I have my own headcanon that she one day finds a monster, and she makes friends with it and realizes that she was wrong to want to expose them, and uses those lovely butch muscles of hers to protect it against people who want to hurt it.

There's mud in your eye. :P

Metropoliskid41
07-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Okay, then where's all the people complaining about Hun for being unrealistic in muscle build? She's a ****ing cartoon.

I have seen many complain about how ridiculous his build is, I've commented on it as well. But this episode doesn't feature Hun, so don't expect to see it in a thread about an episode he's not in.

Davetello
07-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Funnily enough I am rewatching the show too and watched "The Monster Hunter" yesterday. It is a pretty poor episode, but the bonding between Leo and Raph makes up for it - although that's part of the main arc obviously.

I did like how gentle the Green (Wo)man of the woods was, as well as the scene where Mikey and Donnie have to escape being locked in the vehicle and possibly frozen. But on the whole it's a pretty forgettable episode.

Netkeeper
07-25-2014, 09:26 AM
Someone did - but here's another, cuz why the shell not:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100124065538/tmnt/images/c/c7/Tmnt_blog020-08.png

Seriously, her build is fine. I don't interpret her as being white anyway - where I live, there are a lot of people with Maori heritage, so I'm used to seeing women who are larger through the shoulders and arms.

Don't be hatin' on Abi - she's a big old softie. I have my own headcanon that she one day finds a monster, and she makes friends with it and realizes that she was wrong to want to expose them, and uses those lovely butch muscles of hers to protect it against people who want to hurt it.

There's mud in your eye. :P
Her build ain't just fine, it's awesome! I loved her design from the moment I first saw her. This show did an AMAZING job of giving us lots of varied minor characters and even extras. One thing me and my brother love doing when we watch this show is point out what some of the extras in the background look like.

MsMarvelDuckie
07-26-2014, 08:09 PM
YOU MONSTER!
Nah but seriously, it might be a mostly pointless episode but at least it's not as bad as some of the episodes from the first cartoon. Just watched "the gang's all here", that was awful in almost every aspect.

Sacrilege! That is one of my favorite OT eps!! It was funny, showed a side of Mikey we rarely got to see in that series, and the entire scene where the others are out looking for him and mistakenly try to "cure" some random teen was priceless! Seriously, it's also one of the few eps of that series that actually had Shredder attempting to do something sensible to get them out of his hair. Most of his schemes were a little ridiculous, but using one of Krang's formulae in that way was pure genius. (Make 'em human or blow 'em up- either way it's a win....)

pennydreadful
07-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Her build ain't just fine, it's awesome! I loved her design from the moment I first saw her. This show did an AMAZING job of giving us lots of varied minor characters and even extras. One thing me and my brother love doing when we watch this show is point out what some of the extras in the background look like.

All in favor of starting an Abi fan club? :P j/k

Seriously though, she gets no love - that's just wrong. There's like, zero fan art of her out there.

Leolead
07-27-2014, 03:25 AM
Off to watch season 4 (again!! :D )

CyberCubed
07-28-2014, 07:28 AM
The worst episode of Season 2 was Junklantis, which was much worse than the first Garbageman episode. I don't even know why 4kids felt the need to bring him back when he wasn't popular the first time around.

Also aside from the recap episode, the second Nano episode wasn't much different than the first aside from Casey/April going on a date.

Netkeeper
07-28-2014, 11:31 AM
...I liked Junklantis too. :(

tmntpower1988
07-28-2014, 03:55 PM

So did I. It was great to have Mikey and Donnie save the day instead of Leo for a change lol

CyberCubed
07-28-2014, 04:51 PM
Junklantis was boring and nonsensical. Garbageman wants to raid cruise ships? How did he even build a fortress on the bottom of the ocean?

I would have rathered they make the robot Turtle/Metalhead have his own full episode than this.

ABrown
07-28-2014, 07:35 PM
For as boring as the two Garbageman episodes were, I really would've liked to have seen the unfinished episode from season five where Hun and him were going to have been revealed as twins separated (literally) at birth.

Netkeeper
07-29-2014, 02:15 AM
Junklantis was boring and nonsensical. Garbageman wants to raid cruise ships? How did he even build a fortress on the bottom of the ocean?
Who cares! Donnie and Mikey episodes! There needed to be more of them!

I think you just have a problem with the best two turtles having their own adventures. :V

k_lala
07-29-2014, 08:10 AM
There was a purpose to the episode, the time filler to prepare for the big fight with Shredder plus the explanation of the big green monsters.

Not every episode has to be super serious, they had plenty of those in the series. Also its funny that every time the Turtles visited the ranch something insane would always happen. However most likely nothing ever would happen when they weren't there.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-29-2014, 09:08 AM

So did I. It was great to have Mikey and Donnie save the day instead of Leo for a change lol

Totally agree.

Who cares! Donnie and Mikey episodes! There needed to be more of them!

I think you just have a problem with the best two turtles having their own adventures. :V

Yeah, Mikey and Don barely get any focus.

Spike Spiegel
07-29-2014, 06:58 PM
All in favor of starting an Abi fan club? :P j/k

Seriously though, she gets no love - that's just wrong. There's like, zero fan art of her out there.

I should get on that. I always liked her character design and wished they'd brought her back at least once. She and Donatello could have had an interesting pairing as unlikely allies.

Netkeeper
07-29-2014, 07:04 PM
I think it would have been interesting if she'd at least seen one of the turtles, or made a return. Oh man I would have loved it if she returned. I mean, she could have been worked into Hunted.

...On second thought, I totally support the idea of that dude being Abigail Finn's husband.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
08-01-2014, 11:31 AM
On the Topic of Bad episodes, I don't think the series ever had a truly unwatchable episode, if you ask me.

pennydreadful
08-01-2014, 02:44 PM
I should get on that. I always liked her character design and wished they'd brought her back at least once. She and Donatello could have had an interesting pairing as unlikely allies.

Totally; I really would've liked Abi to have become an ally in the end. I think she had a lot of potential; it's a shame that she only got one episode!

... On second thought, I totally support the idea of that dude being Abigail Finn's husband.

Do not want! :lol:

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1334/13348536/2572240-7992557783-tumbl.gif

Raphies
08-01-2014, 03:27 PM
It's definitely not one of my favorites, but I do like it better than the Garbageman episodes. I mean at least there's at least one good thing about each episode, like with this one the Leo and Raph thing. And the second Garbageman episode had some good Donnie and Mikey bonding. They all serve purpose in my opinion.

tmntpower1988
08-01-2014, 05:44 PM
On the Topic of Bad episodes, I don't think the series ever had a truly unwatchable episode, if you ask me.

Yeah I agree. That's what I love about this series. I didn't have any bother watching any episode. This is the only TMNT cartoon where I don't hate any episode. There's a few OT and Nick episodes I really can't stand.

pharaohyami5000
08-01-2014, 06:27 PM
IMO, no episode of TMNT TAS were unbearable. Including this episode, which I enjoyed, more of Leo and Raph's scenes.

Though I am curious on the unreleased episodes if there are any of them I may dislike or snooze at.

CyberCubed
08-01-2014, 06:34 PM
IMO, no episode of TMNT TAS were unbearable. Including this episode, which I enjoyed, more of Leo and Raph's scenes.

Though I am curious on the unreleased episodes if there are any of them I may dislike or snooze at.

There were no unreleased episodes. There were planned scripts for episodes that were abandoned and never completed. Also you should call it TMNT 2k3, that's the name people recognize here.

pharaohyami5000
08-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Man, I would like to see them What about that episode from... Season 4 I think, I believe it was about Garbageman and Hun?

I thought of giving TMNT the TAS treatment, like many of our familiar shows have that were re-created since their 1st appearances, but if 2K3 is the best preference, *shrugs* okay. I'll do that then.

CyberCubed
08-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Man, I would like to see them What about that episode from... Season 4 I think, I believe it was about Garbageman and Hun?

I thought of giving TMNT the TAS treatment, like many of our familiar shows have that were re-created since their 1st appearances, but if 2K3 is the best preference, *shrugs* okay. I'll do that then.

Its been called the 2k3 series since well....2003. :lol:

Prowler
08-02-2014, 03:53 PM
It was a pretty average episode, yea.

B.H.Bob
10-23-2014, 09:02 PM
The Nano ones have been my least favorite ones so far.

Netkeeper
10-26-2014, 07:43 AM
That's... really odd. Mind if I ask why?

Rooish
10-26-2014, 11:58 AM
I found the Nano ones closse to unbearable too. But I loved Abigail Finn and the diversity of gender expression she added to the series.

That being said, Leo forging his own swords was ridiculous.

Netkeeper
10-26-2014, 05:47 PM
Whoa? The Nano episodes were great. I don't know what there is to dislike about them.

But I will agree that Leo forging his own swords is really silly.

DarkLightDragon
10-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Eh, it might've been silly, but at least we got a sweet moment between Raph and Leo out of it.

One of those moments where Raph can be really supportive and loving towards his family. As he should.

Netkeeper
10-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Oh yeah, absolutely. It wasn't just a moment of Leo forging his own swords, it was a moment between him and Raph, and that makes the scene good; the scene isn't just stuck in the episode to be meaningless. It shows the dynamic between two characters from a particular angle that isn't seen much.

Rooish
10-26-2014, 08:21 PM
It was a very nice moment. 2003 did Raph mostly right. :)

Wesley
10-28-2014, 03:10 PM
I thought this was a decent episode. The Garbageman episodes weren't that bad either. The first Garbageman one was the first episode that I saw, though, so maybe that's why I like them.

CyberCubed
10-28-2014, 04:57 PM
I don't know why the writers didn't adapt the part with April writing in her journal and showing the Turtles practicing to get better before the return to new york like in the comics and first movie.

Considering how closely the early 4kids eps followed the comics its bizarre they skipped this.

Gunpowder
11-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Eh, I liked it in the sense that it was laughably bad. And Mrs. Man wasn't meant to ever be used again, anyway; she was literally created to be laughed at.

Parker !!

That rang through my head as soon as I saw this thread's title, I swear. :tlol:

k_lala
11-14-2014, 12:51 PM
It's still better than any episode on BTTS.

Xav
11-15-2014, 01:46 PM
It's still better than "A Foot Too Big".

CyberCubed
11-15-2014, 01:49 PM

No, "The Engagement Ring" and "Hacking Stockman" were both better thna it.

slashpieturtlemix
11-15-2014, 02:07 PM
I forgot about this episode.... now I will forever be haunted by Parker lol and at least it wasn't as bad as the cgi movie. Hated that film so much

tmntpower1988
11-15-2014, 02:28 PM
It's still better than "A Foot Too Big".

I agree. I really hated that A Foot Too Big episode.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Agreed 100%