PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular music opinions

Prowler
07-25-2014, 02:59 PM
There's one for tv/movies, so I thought about making one for music.

Where to begin:

- Pearl Jam are boring as hell. Worst of the major Grunge bands. Don't care much for Nirvana either. Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots were the best grunge bands back in the day, imo.

- Metallica's best album is Kill 'Em All.

- Opeth are boring. Don't see what's so great about them.

- Melodic Death Metal is pretty meh as a whole. I like a bit of Dark Tranquillity here and there and the first Children of Bodom albums, but other than that, meh? Gimme straight up death Metal any day.

- Obituary and Decide are average bands. Death and Morbid Angel were the best ones from the Florida Death Metal scene from the 80s.

- Guns 'N' Roses' sappy ballads are terrible. I only like their rocking tunes.

- I liked Chinese Democracy.

- AC/DC, while I certainly don't hate them, they're repetitive as hell. Dunno why so many people praise them. Most of their songs with Brian Johnson sound the same. Even themselves admit they aren't great musicians overall.

- Nightclub music such as House, Techno, etc. is all garbage and sounds the same to me. Dunno how people can listen to that trash unless they're drunk or high. I can dig some Electronic, though.

- I respect them and all, but never really cared for The Rolling Stones much.

- Rage Against The Machine are a ridiculous band. "raw raw fight the powaw!"... no thanks.

- Bands like The Doors, Eagles, The Monkees, America and CCR only had a few good songs. Couldn't care less for the rest of their stuff.

- George Harrison was the best Beatle. George > Paul > John > Ringo.

- Slipknot are garbage. Hell, Nu Metal sucks for the most part.

- Don't like Queen much. Yes, I've said that.

Cure
07-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Most pop acts get a lot of unnecessary hate, I think. It's just music.

Bohemian Rhapsody feels like a chore to sit through and is not catchy to me.

Dunno how people can listen to that trash unless they're drunk or high. I can dig some Electronic, though.

That's exactly why they're only played in clubs, bruh.

Prowler
07-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Most pop acts get a lot of unnecessary hate, I think. It's just music.

Bohemian Rhapsody feels like a chore to sit through and is not catchy to me.
Pop acts are useful for background music you don't pay much attention to, so I cant' say I hate them. Their point is being catchy. If I'm searching for music, I'll just avoid them.

I don't care much for Bohemian Rhapsody either, but man, if there's a song I don't like at all is Stairway to Heaven, despite liking Led Zeppelin a lot myself. Can't stand Breaking the Law by Judas Priest either despite loving the band.

EDIT: Yes, but I'm referring to people who actually put such music(techno, dance, etc) in their music players and listen to it sober while riding the train or walking down the street.

Gin Rummy
07-27-2014, 04:29 AM
IMO Chinese Democracy was far and away better than both Use Your Illusion Albums.

Jester
07-27-2014, 04:32 AM
Hotel California is way over played here.

Can't stand Prince

(May not be "unpopular music opinions" but they're mine.)

Mzx10484
07-27-2014, 05:12 AM
Michael Jackson has never impressed me in a fascinating way. Neither as an artist, nor as a person !

Candy Kappa
07-27-2014, 06:11 AM
I actually enjoy Nickelback.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-27-2014, 06:18 AM
I don't like the Beatles or Michael Jackson, or Elvis.

Queen are overplayed.

BubblyShell22
07-27-2014, 07:22 AM
I like a lot of pop music, but I can't stand Justin Bieber. Ugh. I do like Fifth Harmony though and can't wait to get their album when it comes out.

Type 97 Chi-ha
07-27-2014, 08:31 AM
I find The Rolling Stones to be the most overrated band in history.

I also didn't care for U2 either.

plastroncafe
07-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Your favorite band is crap.
Yes that one.

Type 97 Chi-ha
07-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Yes that one.

It's less a matter of "your favorite band" so much as a band that some people treat as deities (like The Beatles or U2).

Prowler
07-27-2014, 11:47 AM
IMO Chinese Democracy was far and away better than both Use Your Illusion Albums.

I was alright. II was kinda crappy, imo.

I also didn't care for U2 either.

Same. Don't like U2 at all.

Yes that one.

Don't hate on Iron Maiden, man :(

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Yes that one.

I have a rule against people insulting Pink floyd and Led Zeppelin.:(

sdp
07-27-2014, 12:08 PM
I like the nu-metal genre, it gets too much hate and there's plenty of great nu-metal bands/songs.

TAlice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots were the best grunge bands back in the day, imo.

Morbid Angel were the best ones from the Florida Death Metal scene from the 80s.

- Slipknot are garbage. Hell, Nu Metal sucks for the most part.

These are all fairly popular opinions.

Kanon
07-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Something unpopular?

- I dont like rapsongs where you can understand absolutly nothing (for me Most of them)
- I cant stand folk songs
- music from ACDC make me want to scratch my ears of

Type 97 Chi-ha
07-27-2014, 12:36 PM
A picture I commissioned on DeviantArt. (http://granitoons.deviantart.com/art/Stick-that-in-your-pipe-and-play-it-459167265) Characters are all mine and have no relationship to the TMNT or any other series.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-27-2014, 12:45 PM
I hate Rap music. With a passion.

sdp
07-27-2014, 01:46 PM
There's a difference between unpopular opinions and your opinion. Many people don't like Rap, in fact no one in the Metal community usually enjoys rap and viceversa, that doesn't mean it's an unpopular opinion. An unpopular opinion would be "I don't like 'Critically Acclaimed Musician'"

ObiWanFan4life
07-27-2014, 02:50 PM
- I think that Staind and Linkin Park are criminally underrated bands.

sdp
07-27-2014, 03:06 PM
How are those unpopular opinions? They are extremely popular bands, especially Linkin Park. You can say "Linkin Park's new albums are underrated" or "LP is underrated by music snobs", but you can't call multi-platinum bands as popular as LP and even Staind underrated.

ObiWanFan4life
07-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Sorry, I meant that they're better bands then people give them credit for. Also, I think that Deftones' self-titled album is one of their best.

Powder
07-27-2014, 03:20 PM
in fact no one in the Metal community usually enjoys rap and viceversa

That is a complete lie. Metal & hip-hop have fused together to great success many times in the last 25 years or so. & hardcore/grindcore heads are usually especially big fans of underground hip-hop...

The only metalheads that make a point to share their dislike for rap are little kids and old men.

Prowler
07-27-2014, 03:25 PM
There's a difference between unpopular opinions and your opinion. Many people don't like Rap, in fact no one in the Metal community usually enjoys rap and viceversa, that doesn't mean it's an unpopular opinion. An unpopular opinion would be "I don't like 'Critically Acclaimed Musician'"
That's a bit of an exaggeration and could apply to fans of any genre, really. You could say that reggae fans usually dislike, let's say, Grunge rock and vice-versa, per example.

Anyway, from my experience, metalheads tend to like grunge rock and classical music a lot. But ofc I've met ones that like hip-hop, reggae, etc. as well.

Dirty Blond
07-27-2014, 07:19 PM
I think Bob Dylan sings rather well. Even today.

Rm8mI7x20Tc

pingclang
07-27-2014, 07:57 PM
I hate Rap music. With a passion.

This! So much, this. I despise rap and live in an area where people play the piss out of it.

My own opinions: I think Metallica sucks and the only album they did that was good Dave Mustaine wrote all the music for (Kill 'em All.)

I also only listen to metal, mostly thrash, which isn't an unpopular opinion but around here, makes me a musical mutant. Mine are kinda lame, sorry.

Cure
07-27-2014, 07:59 PM

Oh yeah, same for me. Creed, also.

CAN YOU TAKE ME HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHER. *tasty lick*

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-28-2014, 07:19 AM
This! So much, this. I despise rap and live in an area where people play the piss out of it.

My own opinions: I think Metallica sucks and the only album they did that was good Dave Mustaine wrote all the music for (Kill 'em All.)

I also only listen to metal, mostly thrash, which isn't an unpopular opinion but around here, makes me a musical mutant. Mine are kinda lame, sorry.

That's quite weird for a thrash metal fan to dislike Metallica.

Lou 500
07-28-2014, 08:53 AM

Same here. I also still like to listen to Korn occasionally.

ObiWanFan4life
07-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Same here. I also still like to listen to Korn occasionally.

Clown is one of my favorite songs by them.

Prowler
07-28-2014, 09:28 AM
That's quite weird for a thrash metal fan to dislike Metallica.
Big metalheads dislike Metallica more than anyone else. Although I dunno how he could not enjoy their first 4 albums being a big thrash fan as he claims to be. Metallica aren't really my thing either, but albums like Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning don't grow on trees.

pingclang
07-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Big metalheads dislike Metallica more than anyone else. Although I dunno how he could not enjoy their first 4 albums being a big thrash fan as he claims to be. Metallica aren't really my thing either, but albums like Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning don't grow on trees.

Those first four are good but Kill 'em All is the only one I went nuts over. That said, they are a big part of Thrash history and really helped the genre but I just can't stand them.

Discogod
07-28-2014, 02:16 PM
I have a rule against people insulting Pink floyd and Led Zeppelin.:(

Led Zeppelin are shite and Robert Plant is a bumhole. I should know, I used to live by him. Oh, people will tell you he's a nice guy, but don't believe a word of it. He's always been a massive, gaping bumhole to me, ever since I got drunk and insisted on calling him "Uncle Bob".

Pink Floyd are bobbins too, apart from "Bike".

Slade
07-28-2014, 03:06 PM
Seems this is an unpopular opinion on these boards: I love rap. Well, not the crap that usually is on the radio nowdays.

pennydreadful
07-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Elvis Presley is overrated.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Elvis Presley is overrated.

This. 100% this. I don't see why people like him so much.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-29-2014, 06:43 AM
Led Zeppelin are shite and Robert Plant is a bumhole. I should know, I used to live by him. Oh, people will tell you he's a nice guy, but don't believe a word of it. He's always been a massive, gaping bumhole to me, ever since I got drunk and insisted on calling him "Uncle Bob".

To each their own.

Kanon
07-29-2014, 09:35 AM
- The people who sing disney songs are really great and itīs a shame
that sometimes we donīt even get the chance to see them on concerts.

- Will Smith can make real good songs
("Men in Black" is such a cool song :D)

- "Ai Se Eu Te Pego" by Michel Teló is stupid
(many people donīt know what the song is about but they just love it. He could aso sing about s**t and they wouldnīt know :P)

Prowler
07-29-2014, 01:19 PM
- "Ai Se Eu Te Pego" by Michel Teló is stupid
(many people donīt know what the song is about but they just love it. He could aso sing about s**t and they wouldnīt know :P)
As a native Portuguese speaker I can tell you that you're not missing on anything by not understanding the lyrics. It's basically about dancing.

Leo656
07-29-2014, 08:34 PM
I like "dark", sad, and borderline depressing songs. I'm a big fan of melancholy in anything. Not exclusively, mind you, but I think it's important to feel things. Like, everyone likes "Welcome to the Jungle", and that's great, but most days, I'd rather listen to "Estranged".

"Chinese Democracy" was also great. I think there's just like one song on that record I don't like and always skip ("Sorry"), which is an astronomically high batting average for any record. "Shackler's Revenge" was f*cking brilliant. I think that's the most aggressive thing they ever produced. The whole record is like something from another era where "albums" meant more than "singles" and I think that hurt it commercially. It's not a "this is a great song for radio" album, but it IS an "Every song on the record is great" kind of album. I get chills when everything hits a crescendo during "Madagascar". Just a really underrated record in the modern "write songs for the radio" era.

Type 97 Chi-ha
07-29-2014, 11:56 PM
I have no idea what Robert Plant is like as a person, but there is no shortage of celebrities who are not good people after all. Take Lance Armstrong, once a hero (and who turned out not to be).

Type 97 Chi-ha
07-29-2014, 11:57 PM
And on topic, I can't stand Bruce Springsteen. He shouts rather than sings his songs-and he's not the spokesman for the working classes that he is purported to be.

Leo656
07-30-2014, 12:11 AM
I'd argue Jimmy Page was far worse a human being than Plant. Than most people, really. Lest we forget, in the early 70s he had his "people" kidnap a 14 year old girl under threat of death, then kept her locked away while he did completely illegal sex stuff with her. But, years later the girl admitted she got off on the whole thing, so I guess that makes it okay? (The girl, Lori Mattix, confirmed that the events took place, but that she found it "Wild" and "Romantic".)

But yeah, "Stairway" is a stone groove, so... yeah, only the art matters. Hah, yeah.

I'm really baffled that nothing ever came of that, honestly. Far as I know, the guy's not even registered as a sex offender, despite the fact that's about as "sex offender"y as it gets. Ah well.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
07-31-2014, 06:14 AM
'Atom Heart Mother' is one of Pink Floyd's best Albums.

'Atom Heart Mother Suite' from the same album is one Pink Floyd's best Songs.

Leo656
07-31-2014, 06:27 AM
I like AFI's post-2000 stuff better than their early stuff.

(As a general rule of thumb, you know a band is good when every single record they make, everyone who liked them a year ago suddenly hates them, for not doing the exact same record again. :lol: And they're not just good, they're f*cking immaculate.)

Lethal Lullaby
08-03-2014, 02:37 PM
I think Emilie Autumn has some amazing music. I mean she can sing, play the electric violin, harpsichord, viola, and (i believe) piano. Not all at once though, but still. :tlove: Oh also she's a poet, has written a novel, which i need to find and read, and has starred in The Devil's Carnival :thyper:

Leo656
08-08-2014, 12:19 PM
I like New Found Glory and I don't give a sh*t.

Storm Eagle
08-08-2014, 12:43 PM
I like country music.

pennydreadful
08-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Women in metal can rock just as hard as the guys - if not harder.

Metroid
08-08-2014, 10:19 PM
I like the new Miley Cyrus, she taught us to not fit in and don't care about what other people look at us as, plus her music is great as well

Raphies
08-09-2014, 10:27 PM
I like the new Miley Cyrus, she taught us to not fit in and don't care about what other people look at us as, plus her music is great as well

I agree.

I actually like a lot of today's pop...

I only really like the song "Smooth Criminal" from Michael Jackson, I don't really care for his other stuff.

Slade
08-09-2014, 10:30 PM

Hasn't that been done a million times already??

I think she's just a drugged out loser...course I used to be in love with her, you know? Back when she had hair...and was on the disney channel :lol:

Walkabout
09-09-2014, 10:34 PM
I like "dark", sad, and borderline depressing songs. I'm a big fan of melancholy in anything. Not exclusively, mind you, but I think it's important to feel things. Like, everyone likes "Welcome to the Jungle", and that's great, but most days, I'd rather listen to "Estranged".

"Chinese Democracy" was also great. I think there's just like one song on that record I don't like and always skip ("Sorry"), which is an astronomically high batting average for any record. "Shackler's Revenge" was f*cking brilliant. I think that's the most aggressive thing they ever produced. The whole record is like something from another era where "albums" meant more than "singles" and I think that hurt it commercially. It's not a "this is a great song for radio" album, but it IS an "Every song on the record is great" kind of album. I get chills when everything hits a crescendo during "Madagascar". Just a really underrated record in the modern "write songs for the radio" era.

I like the songs, but not particularly hot on the versions that ended up on the album.
The leaks were way better, the final versions are all clogged up with additional bells and whistles that ended up detracting from the songs, most notably the guitars pasted onto the title track, IRS and the solo in Riad.

RaphaelinSTL
09-09-2014, 10:41 PM
I hate modern hardcore music and that tough guy atmosphere that comes along with it.

Leo656
09-10-2014, 08:07 AM
I like the songs, but not particularly hot on the versions that ended up on the album.
The leaks were way better, the final versions are all clogged up with additional bells and whistles that ended up detracting from the songs, most notably the guitars pasted onto the title track, IRS and the solo in Riad.

Yeah, I've heard as much from other cats. Not gonna lie, I haven't heard as much of the leaked versions as I have the album versions, so my basis for comparison is minimal, but I've heard people say the production was a little off on the album itself. My biggest disappointment, though, is that the long-"confirmed" ancient track "Shadow Of Your Love" didn't make the final cut for whatever reason. I love that song, and the versions on the "Hollywood Rose" CD are adequate, but I'd love a fully-produced modern version of it, rather than just Gilby Clarke remixing demo tracks from 1985. I mean, I know "complete" versions are floating around on the internet, but I like Axl, I'd rather pay him for his work.

Here's one that's probably only true for me: My favorite Bon Jovi album is "Blaze of Glory". I like the rest just fine but that one's my sentimental favorite ever since I was 8.

Walkabout
09-10-2014, 07:15 PM
The "Live From The Jungle" EP contains a version of Shadow Of Your Love from the NY Ritz in 88- pretty sure there was a single that had the GNR studio version back in the day too, it's definitely around.

Gunpowder
09-10-2014, 07:49 PM
I never liked the Beatles, and I agree that Slipknot is garbage.

pandaderek
09-10-2014, 09:51 PM
I hate that radio stations are nationally owned. It's the reason there's lack of diversity in music. All the songs on the radio sound the same. It's ********!

Wesley
10-13-2014, 10:51 AM
U2 are overrated.

DarkFell
10-13-2014, 11:04 AM
I hate that radio stations are nationally owned. It's the reason there's lack of diversity in music. All the songs on the radio sound the same. It's ********!

I dislike it when radio stations play the same crap over and over and..... A lot of potentially good songs eventually start to sound like utter crap to me after being replayed 3-6 times a day either by the same station or by flipping through various stations.

Thankful for my playlists on Youtube.

Wesley
10-13-2014, 11:14 AM
I dislike it when radio stations play the same crap over and over and..... A lot of potentially good songs eventually start to sound like utter crap to me after being replayed 3-6 times a day either by the same station or by flipping through various stations.

Thankful for my playlists on Youtube.

I don't like it either when radio stations and music channels play the same songs over and over again. In Ireland, 4fm is a radio station that plays top 40 stuff from previous decades with no repeats each day.

riot
10-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Stoked for this!

1- The Beatles suck!
2- If you label your music _____core (thrashcore, grindcore, whateversoundsawesomelyhardcore), you need new music. it's all the same... and it sucks
3- outside of Led Zeppelin and Rush, Korn is the most talented group of musicians to walk the earth
4- Marilyn Manson has a beautiful voice with an amazingly wide range. If only he had retired before "eat me drink me"...