PDA

View Full Version : Removing oil based paint

arkangel
07-27-2014, 04:10 PM
In a moment of idiocy an overzealousness to finish my current custom figure, I used an oil based paint, rather than waiting until my next city trip to the model shop... :cry:

I thought it would be fine since I had an initial coat of cheap, matte finish, acrylic paint as a base coat. But then I covered it with High Gloss Krylon Latex Enamel.
In my defense, the small can also says interior-exterior acrylic above the LATEX ENAMEL and the uninformed employee called the 1 800 number and confirmed that it's safe to use on plastic "They have new improved formulas" she said...
"It should be just fine" she said. :roll:

Well, it's....um....not.. :teek:
Did I listen to you guys who stated repeatedly to not use enamels or oil based paints. NOPE. So I don't blame you if you don't want to share advice on how to get this oily, inconsistently sticking, crap off of it now.
But please please do.... I fuggered it up big time and soap and water isn't going to cut it. Nail polish remover? paint thinner? citric acid? purple kool-aid? Any help would be greatly appreciated (and don't yell at me. I'm just not that smart ok?) :lol:

Huzzah
07-27-2014, 05:01 PM
I've heard amazing things about the purple kool aid method.

Though your best bet will be nail remover I'd wager, but be careful, acetone will melt plastic if it stays on too long. Also, don't be afraid to bust out the sand paper.

I'm just guessing though, I'm not speaking from experience though, so hopefully someone else may be more more helpful.

arkangel
07-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks Huzzah. :)
A cycle of nail polish remover followed by washing with Dawn dish soap did the trick. The nail polish loosened the paint enough to scrub it off without scratching the figure. Lesson learned.

Huzzah
07-27-2014, 09:35 PM
And now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

arkangel
07-27-2014, 09:44 PM
YO JOE !!! :lol: