PDA

View Full Version : Episode #1 "Things Change"

The True Shredder
08-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Well what can I say about this episode... Introduction of the Turtles,Splinter,Baxter Stockman,Mousers, Purple Dragons, The Foot,and the mysterious figure. Ohhhh! Not that many things to talk about. Really just a way to introduce all the important characters for now. When I watched this episode I felt that this was just another episode but this is the first episode. Not really an origin story of the Turtles but we get that in the forecoming episodes. But still I felt like they could have made the ep. A bit better. Your thoughts on this ep.?

CyberCubed
08-03-2014, 09:16 PM
This was an amazing episode when I first saw it. Keep in mind this is when I never thought we would ever get a new TMNT cartoon, and I was amazed by this episode simply because it was the first new TMNT episode in like 7 years.

The animation, fight scenes, tone of the show...was all mind blowing back then. Looking on it now its a fairly average episode of the show, but in the context when it originally aired it was great.

Prowler
08-03-2014, 09:48 PM
Great intro episode. It definitely delivered. You could tell this was gonna be a great show.

ABrown
08-04-2014, 09:30 AM
You're doing a thread for every episode? I just assumed that you'd discuss the series in the original thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48561). I think there already is threads for each episode. Maybe a thread for each season might be better?

Any way, as far the actual episode goes. I think that the original cartoon actually had a better opening episode than the 4Kids series did. I feel like the first episode of the 4Kids series should've had more about the turtles origin story. It had been almost five years since the TMNT had been either on television or in the movie theater. Kids were probably watching the episode wondering why exactly there was walking/talking turtles, let alone the fact that they know ninjitsu. But going into the series as someone who was familiar with the TMNT brand, I absolutely loved the episode. My favorite part of the episode was the final scene with Shredder saying "you won't fail me again..."

Technogeek29
08-04-2014, 10:45 AM
It's an ok opening. I like the Turtles couldn't defeat the foot ninja's on their first try making them really feel like greenhorns. As far as fight scenes go this is nowhere near their best.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
08-06-2014, 08:07 AM
This was a great Episode. One of the best in the entire series for me.

tmntpower1988
08-06-2014, 06:36 PM
I thought it was a great opening. I was surprised at how awesome this show was when I watched it for the first time. It had the best opening of the 3 cartoon series imo.

Prowler
08-07-2014, 02:13 AM
You're doing a thread for every episode? I just assumed that you'd discuss the series in the original thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48561). I think there already is threads for each episode. Maybe a thread for each season might be better?

Any way, as far the actual episode goes. I think that the original cartoon actually had a better opening episode than the 4Kids series did. I feel like the first episode of the 4Kids series should've had more about the turtles origin story. It had been almost five years since the TMNT had been either on television or in the movie theater. Kids were probably watching the episode wondering why exactly there was walking/talking turtles, let alone the fact that they know ninjitsu. But going into the series as someone who was familiar with the TMNT brand, I absolutely loved the episode. My favorite part of the episode was the final scene with Shredder saying "you won't fail me again..."

I didn't mind that much. It was clear that the series was gonna have a sense of continuity, so no need to reveal their whole background in the first couple of episodes. It was a good idea for them to save that for The Shredder Strikes Part 1 episode.

I do agree, however, that Turtle Tracks was a great episode and arguably the best one of the FW series, which is quite impressive when you think about it.

THGhost
08-07-2014, 05:34 AM
A fantastic start to a fantastic series. Hopefully we'll see a full retail release of it one day.

shuriken
08-07-2014, 01:46 PM
It was a great opener. I love how it set up so much but didn't feel like it left you hanging. I hated season ending cliffhangers (Battle Nexus anyone?).

tmntpower1988
08-07-2014, 08:56 PM
A fantastic start to a fantastic series. Hopefully we'll see a full retail release of it one day.

I really hope so too.

pingclang
08-08-2014, 03:39 AM
This was a great Episode. One of the best in the entire series for me.

This. I thought it was a great opening episode and loved the nods to the first issue. Great episode.

Longview01
08-08-2014, 06:55 AM
I loved it, it totally won me over and I never looked back from there on.

Netkeeper
08-08-2014, 07:38 PM
One of my favourite things about this episode is its title and theme... things change. The turtles got a new home, and as Master Splinter said, change is good.

The theme feels very meta from my perspective as this was the beginning of a new series, but this was going to be distinctly different from the last show. A darker tone. A new voice cast. A new episode structure and creative team. Things change indeed!

pharaohyami5000
08-09-2014, 03:29 PM
This 1st episode of 2k3 TMNT felt to me like a tiny tiny continuation of the Classic's TMNT. Probably because I jumped right into this series directly after finishing the Classic's last episode, I couldn't help but think of that. I would have liked to see a bit more of the turtle's old lair before they relocated to a more unique looking home, just to see if there were any similar to the turtle's lair from the Classics.

I really liked the turtle's interactions since I began watching this. The part about Raphael pushing Michaelangelo still gives me a chuckle.

A great start to a great series. My only regret is never being able to continue watching it due to schedule meddling.

CyberCubed
08-10-2014, 09:58 PM
^ Yeah, it did kind of feel like the same tone Season 10 of the OT left off with, only done much better.

Leo656
08-11-2014, 12:23 PM
One of my favourite things about this episode is its title and theme... things change. The turtles got a new home, and as Master Splinter said, change is good.

The theme feels very meta from my perspective as this was the beginning of a new series, but this was going to be distinctly different from the last show. A darker tone. A new voice cast. A new episode structure and creative team. Things change indeed!

I was gonna say, was it ever quite explained anywhere why the episode was specifically called "Things Change"? Because I always interpreted it mostly as a semi-snarky jab at some of the more stand-offish fans who were against there even being a new show. As in, "This is a new show, and it's different. Deal with it."

Granted, my memory is a little fuzzy on it, but that's always how I interpreted the significance of the title. It's been a while, but I can't remember an in-story reason for the title. ((Shrug))

Netkeeper
08-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Yeah, there's an in-story reason. Splinter and the turtles have to move to a different lair because of the mousers.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
08-11-2014, 02:19 PM
I was gonna say, was it ever quite explained anywhere why the episode was specifically called "Things Change"? Because I always interpreted it mostly as a semi-snarky jab at some of the more stand-offish fans who were against there even being a new show. As in, "This is a new show, and it's different. Deal with it."

Granted, my memory is a little fuzzy on it, but that's always how I interpreted the significance of the title. It's been a while, but I can't remember an in-story reason for the title. ((Shrug))

I always interpret the title as literally what is says - Things Change. Think about it, their lair is destroyed, they go up to the surface for the first time and Humans see them (even though this changes with future episodes), so alot happans in the very first Episode.

CyberCubed
08-11-2014, 06:15 PM

Not everything has a hidden agenda. Although it probably was a double meaning for there being a new show, it was also about them changing lairs.

Leo656
08-11-2014, 09:07 PM
That's fine, was just a question. I don't re-watch the shows as much as a lot of people here do and I can't remember everything.

RaphaelinSTL
08-22-2014, 08:55 PM
I loved the hell out of this episode.

When I heard that the TMNT were coming back for a new cartoon and it was going to be a different tone, I was so on board. I remembered looking up everything I could online to get more information about the show and calling up different Toys R' Us locations just to get the "Fox Box" set with the CD as it included the theme song that wasn't used for the show. I still prefer that theme over the one they ended up using anyway.

Either way, I was pumped. I didn't follow the show as religiously as I should have because there were a lot of different things going on in my life around the time with high school....but anytime it was on, I completely dug it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I sincerely hope this finds a way to get a box set soon with everything included. This show deserves it.