PDA

View Full Version : Karai custom (2003 TV series)

arkangel
08-08-2014, 01:12 AM
"You have dishonored the Foot. Now prepare to die !!"

Here is my take on Karai from the 2003 TV series, my favorite version of the character. I want to give a huge thanks to Discogod for providing me with a brilliant recipe for this custom. His Jean Grey / Lady Deathstrike combination, not only saved me from desecrating a comic-con Psylocke, but provided a much better base complete with rocker-ankles, gauntlets, and shoulder armor. Very much appreciated Matt. And another huge thank you to Penny Dreadful who has been an invaluable help with the final look of the figure by offering suggestions and sharing her ideas as I stuggled with 3 repaints and a few misteps along the way. And a big f-u to Pincher Creek Coop Paint department for the original oil based paint that was supposed to be "specially formulated" and "just fine for plastic" . There's a special place in hell for you. :lol:

As you can see from the pics, there's been a bit of creative license taken. The chest area seemed a bit busy, so I went with adding the Shredder/Foot emblem to her belt instead of her chest. I had originally glued the vest armor right to the belt, but it looked like she was wearing a garbage bag. By gluing the vest directly to the figure itself, it allowed me to at least show off her curves a bit. For the armor plates on her boots, I used rubber/magnetic tape from the hardware store and went with silver paint to add some contrast, reminiscent of her father's armor (Yes, her Dad. Don't argue with me! :x)
Gloss Black, Chrome Silver, and Medium Blue paints by Tamiya and Donna Troy's (Wondergirl) head. For the foot symbol, neck line, and forehead , I used painted label sticker and for the headband's knot and tassles I used painted rubber band, attached with a cut down pin.

I may make a few more changes, but I figure this one is close to finished. I still plan on adding a set of swords/scabbards from a Deadpool figure to place across her back, and a female ML right hand, as she is currently borrowing Psylocke's. Bigger pics can be seen on my Flickr account and thanks for looking and sharing your opinions/suggestions/ideas for improvement.
Clark :)

arkangel
08-08-2014, 01:21 AM
... and a few more pics.

Jester
08-08-2014, 01:29 AM
Nice. I've always thought Lady Deathstrike would make a good base.

pennydreadful
08-08-2014, 02:52 AM
Once again - great work dude. :D You've done yourself (and Karai) proud.

connor_obain
08-08-2014, 03:12 AM
Very nice work and you have managed to make a female cation figure look great, something a lot of actual manufacturers cant seem to do ;)

Netkeeper
08-08-2014, 03:30 AM
Wow, amazing work. Hope you plan on posting more pictures once you get the swords/scabbards!

Tartaruhga Muhtante
08-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Great job , pal. Is perfect!!

raven6859
08-08-2014, 11:45 AM
That's looks so great! Didn't you make a car for her as well? How does she look with that?

909 Turtle Fan
08-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Sweet Karai. All she needs is some swords

arkangel
08-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys ! :)
I'll post some pics once I add a set of Deadpool swords and scabbards. Having the swords across her back with the hilts above the shoulders is definitely part of Karai's look.
I'll show her with the car too, but it's massive in comparison. The Bratz convertible is probably to scale with a 7 or 8 inch figure, not a Marvel Legends 6 incher. She looks like she's in a tank.

Discogod
08-09-2014, 09:44 AM
She turned out great!

Miotas
08-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Wow that is seriously awesome. That is also my favorite version of her. Great great job. Looks amazing!

Huzzah
08-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys ! :)
I'll post some pics once I add a set of Deadpool swords and scabbards. Having the swords across her back with the hilts above the shoulders is definitely part of Karai's look.
I'll show her with the car too, but it's massive in comparison. The Bratz convertible is probably to scale with a 7 or 8 inch figure, not a Marvel Legends 6 incher. She looks like she's in a tank.

Well, the Turtles roll around in essentially a tank, so maybe she's just leveling the playing field.