PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Election of new staff to replace inactive members

GodzFire
08-09-2014, 07:02 AM
This is a result of talk of perceived lack of staff action helping with the issues in this thread: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=45931

It might look like there's a lot of staff here, but dive deeper into the stats and if you break it down:

ADMINS
Krang
Shredder (last activity 07-13)

SUPER MODS
愛 (last post 10-13)
Barkworm
GK Punk
Machias Banshee

MODS (Who can only police certain sections as it is)
Jester
Ratking (last activity 04-09)
ThirdMarioBro
Venom
Voltron

SITE STAFF
azure turtle (last activity 06-05)
Bebop (last activity 12-12)
Krang (repeat)
Nturtle (last activity 02-06)
Peanut
Shredder (repeat; last activity 07-13)
Splinter

So we have 1/2 Admins, 1/4 Super Mods, 1/5 Mods, and 4/7 Site Staff which are inactive. That's a total of 4 staff members who can police all the forums.

Why not move the inactive staff to another list and hold elections for some replacement staff who are active around here and willing to help keep this place clean and running smooth? I think something that could help is to do away with the sectional mods and instead promote them to Super Mods who can help in all sections.

pennydreadful
08-09-2014, 05:10 PM
I don't know if an election is necessarily the best way to go about it... I'd feel better if existing mods selected people who they feel are appropriate, rather than have someone nominated due to their popularity.

The problem (in my eyes) is that it takes a particular type of personality to be a fair and effective mod; someone who is able to be neutral when needed, who will step in when it's appropriate but not shut down every little thing. It's also a time issue - as we know, the mods have lives and families away from the forums.

While it could potentially be helpful to have more mods, and large sigs may well be annoying, we need to keep a sense of perspective about it too. As it has been pointed out, users do have the option to view text only. You could also just put them on ignore, or politely ask them to downsize - obviously if someone's set on being inconsiderate, they're not going to, but most people don't deliberately set out to be annoying either.

Alternatively, it could potentially be useful if something were implemented that simply doesn't allow people to upload sigs past a certain size - I'm no tech, so I don't know whether that would be hard to put into the site, but it's an idea.

Just my two cents; I appreciate that some of you are frustrated and I'm not saying you're wrong or trying to invalidate your feelings. :)

Netkeeper
08-09-2014, 06:14 PM
You don't elect mods. The users do not get to pick who moderates the forum. The admin does.

Why? Because giving someone a moderator position is like giving them the keys to your car. They can cause a hell of a lot of damage if you don't find them trustworthy. When I spent time on InvisionFree's support forums, a lot of young admins would give their keys to just ANYBODY and suddenly "wait why did [x] happen to my forum?"

It is up to the admin and the admin only. And decisions for staff should be respected by the userbase.

That said, I do agree that we need more active moderator presence. Whenever I need one, one is never online.

Edit: In regards to the large signature problem, on forums I've moderated in the past, if I saw someone with a sig too large, I'd edit it out and replace it with an embarrassing gif. That usually kept people from uploading anything obnoxious.

Mayhem
08-10-2014, 07:14 AM
The best moderators don't ask to be moderators, they are asked to be moderators.

Netkeeper
08-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Anybody who asks to be a mod is almost certainly not mod material. They just want to flaunt their status. When it comes to actually doing something with that status, they flee.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
08-10-2014, 08:38 AM
If the drome is in need of new staff, they will ask people who they trust to be Mods.

GodzFire
08-10-2014, 08:47 AM
And that's completely fine with me too. I don't care how new staff are chosen, as long as there ARE some that are added.

Venom
08-25-2014, 07:18 PM
MODS (Who can only police certain sections as it is)
Jester
Ratking (last activity 04-09)
ThirdMarioBro
Venom
Voltron

So we have 1/2 Admins, 1/4 Super Mods, 2/5 Mods, and 4/7 Site Staff which are inactive. That's a total of 5 staff members who can police all the forums.

e_e Fixed!

Gorilla Grodd
09-05-2014, 11:04 AM
It took over a week for my account to be activated. So it really seems like at the very least a new mod/admin should be appointed for account activation.