PDA

View Full Version : So was it like "The Raid"?

Andrew NDB
08-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Kevin Eastman had been talking quite a bit about "the fighting will be AWESOME, like 'The Raid' and 'District 13'!"

Was it?

Xiewin
08-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Either he lied, the filmmakers cut it, or the shaky cam made it entirely impossible to see it.

samxsteal
08-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Was this whole movie like raid no. The fighting on the other hand had lots of hints at raid style fight choreography. Raphs fight with shredder at the Sack's estate was pretty tight and fast and shredder was a bad ass

Bry
08-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Haha, of course not. I'm sure it was pitched to Eastman that way, but c'mon - clearly nobody was up to the task on this one.

I mean, imagine a TMNT version of this (though likely with the level of violence toned down quite a bit):

7x7qG07sXvY

Liebesman's way too lazy and/or unskilled a director to pull that off, IMO. There's some shaky-cam there, but the action is clear, coherent and brutal.

ObiWanFan4life
08-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Sure.....If The Raid was an bloated, incomprehensibly shot CGI-fest. But seriously, either Platinum Dunes payed him to say that or he said that to get people to see it.

Bmaga123
08-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Was not even close to the Raid, In fact the Turtle's barely had any fighting scenes and when they did they lasted about 5 seconds :tmad:. This was one of my biggest let downs of the film because I really wanted to see some bad *** fighting scenes. Thankfully Splinter gave us a pretty awesome fight scene with Shredder.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
08-12-2014, 02:48 PM
I have to ask, did anyone really believe that Kevin Eastman wasn't lying his ass off about that?

The Raid would be ideal...but I'd settle for even PG-13 stuff like Transporter 2

LEbh7ixZQ_s

Warhorse
08-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Was this whole movie like raid no. The fighting on the other hand had lots of hints at raid style fight choreography. Raphs fight with shredder at the each estate was b petty tight and fast and shredder was a bad ass

I think you and I saw two totally different movies, because, the fighting scenes sucked with the Turtles. Like Xiever says, either the film makers lied, the good fight scenes got cut, or the shaky cam skewed the whole thing. I wanted to be excited for the fight scenes, but other than Mikey's quick "I'm a snapping Turtle fool" that is about as good as it got.

Was not even close to the Raid, In fact the Turtle's barely had any fighting scenes and when they did they lasted about 5 seconds :tmad:. This was one of my biggest let downs of the film because I really wanted to see some bad *** fighting scenes. Thankfully Splinter gave us a pretty awesome fight scene with Shredder.

This. Not only was it 5 seconds, they seemed to lose too!

CyberCubed
08-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Eastman lied about everything. This was Next Mutation part 2. With nostrils.

ObiWanFan4life
08-12-2014, 04:18 PM

That's a bit of a stretch.

CyberCubed
08-12-2014, 04:20 PM
That's a bit of a stretch.

There wasn't camp, it was like the opposite. Too much faux character interaction with no heart.

Xiewin
08-12-2014, 04:24 PM

Despite the fact that the new movie had a ton of flaws, it's not as bad as the Next Mutation or TMNT 3.

CyberCubed
08-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Despite the fact that the new movie had a ton of flaws, it's not as bad as the Next Mutation or TMNT 3.

I'd place TMNT III above it.

Xiewin
08-12-2014, 04:25 PM

yeah okay...

ObiWanFan4life
08-12-2014, 04:27 PM

You'd place a lazyily written time travel story above a forgettable action movie.

CyberCubed
08-12-2014, 04:27 PM
yeah okay...

Flashy action scenes, Turtles with little heart or interaction, a Megatron Shredder, bad origin, and pointless Eric Sachs?

I couldn't even take these Turtles seriously. There was no sense if brotherhood between them.

samxsteal
08-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Ok sure never mind the fight scene with Raph and shredder which is straight out of those stunt double videos i posted a while back. Never mind the whole roof fight, shots in the lair shoot from out side Sachs estates yup all those fights didn't happen. And as for shaky cam about the only shaky cam fight was Raph in the fan room, which was pretty bad but to ignore all the other stuff is ridiculous could there have been more site was there more most definitely the bts footage proves that much. There a while fight scene in shredders dojo we didn't see

Werecat
08-12-2014, 06:37 PM
He lied, the movie's action is no where near the The Raid's level. The action scenes are short and are mainly comic style action were one attacks send opponents flying. In The Raid, they do not use one hit knockouts instead they use fancy choreographed fight sequences that show style and brutality.

TMNT is cooler than MOTU
08-12-2014, 07:19 PM
Haha, of course not. I'm sure it was pitched to Eastman that way, but c'mon - clearly nobody was up to the task on this one.

I mean, imagine a TMNT version of this (though likely with the level of violence toned down quite a bit):

7x7qG07sXvY

Liebesman's way too lazy and/or unskilled a director to pull that off, IMO. There's some shaky-cam there, but the action is clear, coherent and brutal.

I'd LOVE a Turtles flick with that level of choreography. Unfortunately, we won't be seeing it any time soon.

NinjaPug
08-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Yeah, there was nothing resembling The Raid in this but I knew Kevin was full of crap when he said it.

Werecat
08-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Yeah, there was nothing resembling The Raid in this but I knew Kevin was full of crap when he said it.

I think Kevin just loves anything TMNT. He is probably just flattered by peeps wanting to make a movie with his creation. So flattered he won't realize the bad parts.

TurtleTitan97
08-12-2014, 07:36 PM
I think Kevin just loves anything TMNT. He is probably just flattered by peeps wanting to make a movie with his creation. So flattered he won't realize the bad parts.

That seems like a pretty accurate statement to me.

It's times like this that make me wish Peter Laird was still involved with this franchise.

Xiewin
08-12-2014, 07:38 PM

this is why Kevin just lost all my trust.

Cryomancer
08-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Yeah Eastman is always super enthused with every new project regardless of it's eventual quality. Do they mislead him and show him good things that don't make the final, or does he just love everything? Who knows. But he has been like this forever. I don't think this is necessarily bad, but he's really not a reliable "will this be any good" measurement tool.

CyberCubed
08-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Never believe Kevin Eastman on anything. The guy is not a writer, even his own comics in IDW tend to be lackluster.

I get the feeling Kevin just has no idea what good storytelling is, so he let's everyone do their thing. Occasionally we get a winner, with Tom Waltz and the IDW comics, but other times not.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
08-12-2014, 07:54 PM

to be fair i would to, despite their flaws to me TMNT and next mutation still have a charm i love about them....this movie not so much

Ok sure never mind the fight scene with Raph and shredder which is straight out of those stunt double videos i posted a while back. Never mind the whole roof fight, shots in the lair shoot from out side Sachs estates yup all those fights didn't happen. And as for shaky cam about the only shaky cam fight was Raph in the fan room, which was pretty bad but to ignore all the other stuff is ridiculous could there have been more site was there more most definitely the bts footage proves that much. There a while fight scene in shredders dojo we didn't see

sam those fights werent there..the fights we saw do not equal Raid level as eastman promised...and the fights we did get were cut in between..stupid laughable moments or moments given to april..i hated the the final roof fight had to be cut between stoping Sacks and the shredder..they shouldve only been focused on one not both...this movie is seriously lacking real ninja turtle action

what happened to that fight we got to see when the 4 guys faught shredder indoors...all we got was smashing through rocks and trucks

i love Kevin Eastman, he is a great dude and super amazing fellow..but he doesnt know when to say no to an idea

CyberCubed
08-12-2014, 07:56 PM
The fight scenes in this movie gave me a damn headache. I could barely make what was going on at times.

I do admit some of the fight scenes with Shredder were pretty good, especially at the end of the movie on the rooftop. But other than that....ugh. I felt like I was having a seizure with the shaky camera and this blurry CG mess jumping all over the screen.

Xiewin
08-12-2014, 08:04 PM
The only "good" fight scenes in the movie was the Splinter vs Shredder fight and the Rooftop battle.

to be fair i would to, despite their flaws to me TMNT and next mutation still have a charm i love about them....this movie not so much

I found the turtles to be irritating in the Next Mutation and TMNT 3. While the turtles in this movie had less screen-time, they were still full of charm.

SwiftNinjaFox
08-12-2014, 08:49 PM
How could there be? The Foot were military guys with machine guns. There wasn't a single martial arts sequence in the entire film.

Shredder and Splinter was a cool fight scene, but not really martial arts so much as a little bit at the start, then mostly Yoda dodging magic knives.

The Raph vs Shredder was just Raph getting thrown and beat down. Never landed a hit.

The roof top fight had some good scenes, but nothing that really seemed that much like heavily choreographed martial arts fighting. Mostly a lot of leaps and, as I think Warhorse said, mostly just the turtles getting their shells kicked in every single fight.

Seriously, they don't remotely prove to be adequate once in the entire thing.

Bry
08-12-2014, 09:22 PM
The Raph vs Shredder was just Raph getting thrown and beat down. Never landed a hit.

The roof top fight had some good scenes, but nothing that really seemed that much like heavily choreographed martial arts fighting. Mostly a lot of leaps and, as I think Warhorse said, mostly just the turtles getting their shells kicked in every single fight.

Seriously, they don't remotely prove to be adequate once in the entire thing.

I mean... they did learn from a book. :tlol:

Warhorse
08-12-2014, 10:39 PM

You can say whatever you want, I had a hard time seeing anything during the action scenes due to the shaky cam. I absolutely hate it! Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if the scenes weren't like on fast forward, because I see other people's gifs online, in slow motion, and it does look good, but in the theatrical release I got, it was awful. I also saw it in 3D, which also doesn't help.

I'd LOVE a Turtles flick with that level of choreography. Unfortunately, we won't be seeing it any time soon.

Best choreagraphed fight I'v seen in a TMNT movie is still the 1990 Raphael on the roof scene, especially the first part before he started to get beaten down.

Sadly, I've seen better choreagraphed fight scenes in all three cartoons than I did in this movie. I mean, this is what should have been this movie's schtick? The fighting!

Look, I am aware that they used these world class Ninja masters, and they very well could have been filming them, and maybe Eastman got to see a longer cut of the movie that actually would have included all of the great fight scenes and fill in the holes. But in the end, the final product I saw on the screen I believe the those raid scenes were drastically cut or hidden due to shaky cam. And I am sorry, to say this, but I think Hitgirl from KickAss is a better fighter in her movie than the Turtles were in this. A little 12 year old girl kicked tons of more ass than 4 gigantic mutant turtles. It's kind of pathetic when you think of it.

Ramboraph4life aka Matt
08-12-2014, 11:38 PM
A little 12 year old girl kicked tons of more ass than 4 gigantic mutant turtles. It's kind of pathetic when you think of it.

And from the sound of it, even a chicken could kick more ass than these 4 piles of crap.

PzzqE7EPoIc

Sighphi
08-13-2014, 05:16 AM
The Splinter fight was the only thing close to the raid.

What i want to know why the hell do the rest of the fights had this endless 360 shots. THAT was even worst than the no Raid fight style.