PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else dislike Will Arnett and Whoopi Goldberg in this movie?

CyberCubed
08-12-2014, 06:37 PM
You know thinking back to it, I don't think I laughed at a single thing they said in the movie. Apparently Will Arnett and Whoopi were cast for their personalities and sense of humor they brought to the film...but there was nothing.

Were they supposed to be comic relief? I don't even get why all the scenes with Will Arnett were supposed to be funny but fell flat.

Xiewin
08-12-2014, 06:44 PM
You know thinking back to it, I don't think I laughed at a single thing they said in the movie. Apparently Will Arnett and Whoopi were cast for their personalities and sense of humor they brought to the film...but there was nothing.

Were they supposed to be comic relief? I don't even get why all the scenes with Will Arnett were supposed to be funny but fell flat.

Well I giggled at the hamstring joke Vernon made in the movie. But that was it.

Only the turtles made me laugh.

TurtleTitan97
08-12-2014, 06:50 PM
I'd blame the writers more than the actors. It's not their fault, considering the script they had to work with.

CyberCubed
08-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Every time we had a scene with them in the movie I asked myself, "Why waste time with them instead of showing the Turtles?"

You can tell they were only there to bring more name-brand celebrities into the movie, given everyone else was CG.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
08-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Arnett was ok..sure some of his lines where blah and unless you saw the OT you have no idea who Vern is...but he was Decent

Whoopie was uneeded...and i mean no disrespect i know she did the project for grandkids,as much as i love her, she really was wasted in this movie as the "Bern" role couldve been any extra Jo or B movie actor

like bruce campbell.....damn now i wish that was real

SwiftNinjaFox
08-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Arnett was ok..sure some of his lines where blah and unless you saw the OT you have no idea her Vern is...but he was Decent

Whoopie was uneeded...and i mean no disrespect i know she did the project for grandkids,as much as i love her, she really was wasted in this movie as the "Bern" role couldve been any extra Jo or B movie actor

like bruce campbell.....damn now i wish that was real

I'm rewatching Burn Notice right now. Without Bruce as Sam, I don't see that show being nearly as good. Though it's largely how well he, Donnovan, and....gah, Fi's actress work together. Chemistry is great between them, but Campbell is just golden.

To the actual question, I was really looking forward to Vern in this film. I thought the idea of an older camera man that wants to do fluff pieces, do the easy job, and get his paycheck was going to be pretty funny, especially thinking of a less prick-ish version of Vern from the cartoon. The result was......not so great. If he had been more of the character that freaks out about everything that's going on, a little dash of Dante's "not supposed to be here" whine, but comes through when it counts like I was expecting, I would have liked him. As it was, he was just there to objectify April and be the awkward taxi driver for her.

Whoopi's role was pointless and even caused a bit of a plot hole. Firing April because she has nothing remotely close to proof......so April goes to see Eric and show him the photographic proof she has. Wut?

IndigoErth
08-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Will was ok, I at least liked this take of the character more than the old cartoon one. Whoopi... I like her, but this role was "meh."

Edit: Maybe April will likely get rehired early in the sequel and they'll get a little more screen time. (But not so much that it takes away too much from the Turtles screen time of course.)

BabyTurtles
08-12-2014, 08:27 PM
I liked them, there was nothing wrong with them as far as I could tell.

Vernon was funny and I enjoyed him^_^

strawberryfields
08-12-2014, 08:28 PM

Will Arnett was good, nothing hilarious like arrested development but I liked him. Whoopi had like 90 seconds of screen time and she was OK. Nothing to love or hate

turtle1237
08-12-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm rewatching Burn Notice right now. Without Bruce as Sam, I don't see that show being nearly as good. Though it's largely how well he, Donnovan, and....gah, Fi's actress work together. Chemistry is great between them, but Campbell is just golden.

To the actual question, I was really looking forward to Vern in this film. I thought the idea of an older camera man that wants to do fluff pieces, do the easy job, and get his paycheck was going to be pretty funny, especially thinking of a less prick-ish version of Vern from the cartoon. The result was......not so great. If he had been more of the character that freaks out about everything that's going on, a little dash of Dante's "not supposed to be here" whine, but comes through when it counts like I was expecting, I would have liked him. As it was, he was just there to objectify April and be the awkward taxi driver for her.

Whoopi's role was pointless and even caused a bit of a plot hole. Firing April because she has nothing remotely close to proof......so April goes to see Eric and show him the photographic proof she has. Wut?

I am a fan of Whoopi's work, loved her in Ghost. But she didn't really have much to work with her, and with the way April was going on and acting, she perhaps had a right to fire her, expect getting fired was really April's fault to begin with, Seeing that scene, I was in my head, telling April show her the pic, show her the pic. Why did she never show Whoopi the pic? Whoopi ask for proof, and you had it, and you were dumb not to open the cell phone and prove it. It was a major plot hole.

Warhorse
08-12-2014, 08:37 PM
I'd blame the writers more than the actors. It's not their fault, considering the script they had to work with.

This. They just didn't have much to work with. I just felt, the writers didn't want a movie where it's a single gal, and the Turtles. They felt like they just needed a male figure in there, and they didn't want to fall back to the obvious Casey Jones ( I have no idea why) so, they stuck in the next closest guy they could think of that wasn't a villain.

Bry
08-12-2014, 08:38 PM
They were both fine, but the script didn't give them much to work with. This was easily the least entertained I've ever been by either of them, who I normally love, but I blame the writing and the directing for that, not them.

Will Arnett has a really funny comedic presence but he was wasted in a vanilla "nice guy with a crush" role. If he had been more of a cowardly/scheming jerk, that would have suited his talents and the character better.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
08-12-2014, 08:45 PM

to elborate on this id say i felt like the Burne role wasnt written with Whoppie in mind, but maybe even another acotr/actress or just no name actor otherwise maybe it couldve been portrayed better if actually written to her acting style...same with arnett

im calling it Bill Hader as Casey jones ( i actually like the guy and would probably be for it)

turtlefanforever
08-12-2014, 08:47 PM
I disliked pretty much the whole movie. it sucks that such good actors now have to be associated with this film. I loved Will Arnett as Vernon he is still the best person to cast but Vernon was done wrong in this.

Jester
08-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Didn't mind them too much, actually.

Spidergreg
08-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Somebody remind me again who is Will Arnett?
With pictures of course. I have no idea who.

sdp
08-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Arnette was a good Vernon even if he was't exactly like OT Vernon it worked. Whoopi Goldberg was a terrible Thompson though, even with the race and gender change I could've dealt with that if she'd had some type of personality but she tried to be the angry boss but she just didn't seem Angry and at times they tried to play her as sarcastic but she wasn't that for long either, I guess they didn't want Thompson to seem like a JJ Jameson clone? But they should've defined her personality somehow.

turtle1237
08-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Arnette was a good Vernon even if he was't exactly like OT Vernon it worked. Whoopi Goldberg was a terrible Thompson though, even with the race and gender change I could've dealt with that if she'd had some type of personality but she tried to be the angry boss but she just didn't seem Angry and at times they tried to play her as sarcastic but she wasn't that for long either, I guess they didn't want Thompson to seem like a JJ Jameson clone? But they should've defined her personality somehow.

If I was in charge of the movie, I keep Vernon the same, Arnette did a good job.

I was not really sure on Goldberg myself, Perhaps just have her be herself. She does not need to be the stereotype angry boss. We seen that in like almost every movie lol.

arkangel
08-12-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm a big Arnette fan and love his style of comedy in pretty much everything he does, especially The Millers, so I'm admittedly biased. Although it wasn't a huge part, I think he did well with what he was given and have no doubt that he probably improved or added a lot of his own material to the role, as it's very much his signature style.
Whoopi I could have done without. It's not that I mind her acting but the character seemed so miscast. It's almost like they tried to find the exact opposite of Thompson and on that account they succeeded, but you have to ask yourself, "why?"

Mellie
08-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Will Arnett was fine, and funny in a few spots.

Whoopi seemed.. unnecessary. She was in 2 maybe 3 scenes? Was a bunch of her stuff cut out too? She was fine in her couple parts though.

sethmartin
08-12-2014, 10:53 PM
I actually liked Will Arnett. Whoopi was wasted.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Whoopi did what was wanted of her and what was given to her. So no big deal, me thinks.

Candy Kappa
08-13-2014, 12:36 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I did like Whoopi's performance in the scene where April tells her that the vigilantes are 6 foot tall walking karate turtles.

Whoopi's character just completely no-sell what April says.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
08-13-2014, 12:53 AM
She seemed unnecessary, but I like Whoopi Goldberg and it was cool to see her in a TMNT movie. I LOVE Will Arnett. I'm enough of a fan of him that I enjoyed the movie despite how bad it was at times.

Midnight Mutant
08-13-2014, 02:24 AM
I didn't dislike them, they are great actors, but their talent was wasted in this movie. I blame the script, they had barely anything to work with. Whoopi was more a cameo than an actual character.