PDA

View Full Version : 5 Ways The New "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" Makes The 1990 Movie Look Like A Master

Xav
08-12-2014, 08:00 PM
I just found this article.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonwillmore/2014-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-vs-the-1990-movie

Xiewin
08-12-2014, 08:03 PM
I agree with everything that article said except for the first one.

SwiftNinjaFox
08-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I'll agree with it.

TurtleTitan97
08-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Totally agree with this.

Autbot_Benz
08-12-2014, 08:18 PM
ugh the comments are the usual this movie sucks bitch bitch bitch. micheal bay bitch bitch bitch megan fox bitch bitch bitch.

Bry
08-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Bingo. Totally agreed on all counts. The story holds together a lot better in itself, too.

Hell, the best thing about this new movie might be the renewed appreciation for the 1990 original it's inspired by comparison. That one always deserved more credit for getting it right.

Electric
08-12-2014, 08:22 PM
ugh the comments are the usual this movie sucks bitch bitch bitch. micheal bay bitch bitch bitch megan fox bitch bitch bitch.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Disagree with all of them, besides the last one. Which can easily be shown in the sequel

IndigoErth
08-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Likewise this. Been a long road to accepting them, but while not too photogenic they've got some shots that aren't so bad.

The rest of that list... yes, yes and yes. Hope the last one (also yes) will be corrected with the next. (If they can't then they really are just following a standard overplayed formula.)

Zatoichi
08-12-2014, 08:44 PM
I agree with all five points, especially the one about Splinter.

Warhorse
08-12-2014, 08:47 PM

In agree with the article. They made the Turtles from the cute characters they were, who could kick your ass, into big, humungous Turtle shreks, who get caught too easily despite having bullet proof shells.

Bry
08-12-2014, 08:50 PM
In agree with the article. They made the Turtles from the cute characters they were, who could kick your ass, into big, humungous Turtle shreks, who get caught too easily despite having bullet proof shells.

The cuteness was always part of the appeal. They were little, kind of adorable, and surprisingly deadly. There was always some irony to them; that was the whole point. The new designs completely lose that.

Xiewin
08-12-2014, 08:50 PM

..and I still like the 2014 designs.

turtlefanforever
08-12-2014, 08:56 PM
agreed 100%

Slade
08-12-2014, 08:56 PM
I agree with it all too.

Leolead
08-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Yeah... uh no, number 1 is bull, number 4... yeah I agree with "Splinter being Japanese making no sense"

But really it might be the classic story but it makes no sense, a pre-mutated Splinter Mimicking/Learning/Watching martial arts moves by watching Hamato? BUT they should have found a way to incorporate Hamato Yoshi into Splinters origin.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-12-2014, 09:45 PM
It's weak.

1. Is b.s.
2. Is b.s. (Yeah, ok, a man who isn't very old who is a ninja and who was able to fight like one wearing an armored/robotic suit and who is a leader of ninjas in modern times and who is willing to kill people over a boat load of money and who wants to take over the city)
3. Not exactly, april's job was important, very much so and at least to her. She was obsessed with doing a certain kind of story and didn't like certain ones. Her job was very important to her boss too, all she cared about was her doing certain stories and providing acceptable proof (mikey in the first tmnt movie saw april as a piece of meat that was attractive, he kissed the freaking t.v. for crying out loud when he saw april on it and said I'm in love)
4. Is b.s. (splinter was already on the japanese side before he went through the book, his purpose for learning from the book was to learn ninjitsu, before that he wasn't like I am going to go through this book so I can look like a japanese person)
5. Is b.s. (we got to know the turtles when they weren't kicking butt besides getting to know them while bad stuff was going down)

Seriously, why is four bad? Us humans are guilty of copying a certain look because we like that certain look and because we think it would fit us.

chrisdude
08-12-2014, 09:51 PM
1 is bogus, 2 is weak (Totally disregards status of The Foot in 2014). The others are legitimate complaints, if you agree with them.

Leolead
08-12-2014, 09:59 PM
It's weak.

1. Is b.s.
2. Is b.s.
3. Not exactly, april's job was important, very much so and at least to her. She was obsessed with doing a certain kind of story and didn't like certain ones. (mikey in the first tmnt movie saw april as a piece of meat that was attractive, he kissed the freaking t.v. for crying out loud when he saw april on it and said I'm in love)
4. Is b.s. (splinter was already on the japanese side before he went through the book, his purpose for learning from the book was to learn ninjitsu, before that he wasn't like I am going to go through this book so I can look like a japanese person)
5. Is b.s. (we got to know the turtles when they weren't kicking butt besides getting to know them while bad stuff was going down)

Seriously, why is four bad? Us humans are guilty of copying a certain look because we like that certain look and because we think it would fit us.

1 is bogus, 2 is weak (Totally disregards status of The Foot in 2014). The others are legitimate complaints, if you agree with them.
Totally agree with you guys.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Going back to the third thing, let us also not forget that casey jones in the first tmnt movie had the hots for april cause he found her attractive. Hence all those different names he called her and the kiss near the end of the movie.

Slade
08-12-2014, 11:55 PM

All are legitimate complaints if you agree with them.

Joey Kamikaze
08-13-2014, 02:15 AM
This is totally on the nose. I'd also add to #3 that I'd like to see a movie have the balls to do April as the lab assistant to a mad scientist like in Mirage instead of aping the Fred Wolf reporter stuff.

Myko
08-13-2014, 02:20 AM
#5 is the big one for me. The other changes I can live with as just another spin on the Turtles among many, but the lack of slower thoughtful character moments just makes it a bad movie, regardless if it was about TMNT or not.

Bry
08-13-2014, 06:57 AM
#5 is the big one for me. The other changes I can live with as just another spin on the Turtles among many, but the lack of slower thoughtful character moments just makes it a bad movie, regardless if it was about TMNT or not.

That is a big one. And you're right - actual, well-developed characters usually depend on those "downtime" moments to give them some depth or development.

And as much as some folks like to point out that Michael Bay didn't direct the thing, this is something that proves Liebesman is from his "school" - he feels the need to have everything moving always. You don't get to slow down and have important character moments, because the action is all he cares about. Even in in the very few lower-key/quieter moments, the camera has to be almost constantly moving or cutting around quickly. Because if the action and the visuals are moving quickly at all times, the audience doesn't get a moment to reflect, and they're less likely to notice how lousy the story, acting, and/or directing is. The directing technique is pure distraction.

Shark_Blade
08-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Sounds like a grouchy man with too much nostalgia. *laughs at the article*

But I would say #5 is true, though we have a bit of downtime in the elevator scene. Just wish we had more.

ABrown
08-13-2014, 09:11 AM
The original movie doesn't get nearly enough credit, it was a really good movie. It was that movie that made me a TMNT fan, not the original cartoon.

Netkeeper
08-13-2014, 09:19 AM
The original movie doesn't get nearly enough credit, it was a really good movie. It was that movie that made me a TMNT fan, not the original cartoon.
This. And I have definitely seen a rise in interest in the first TMNT movie since this trainwreck's release.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

Xiewin
08-13-2014, 09:32 AM
The movie is okay for me, still not as good as I remembered when I was younger. For me, the the article just emphasized the fact that no one had the ability to write a good tmnt film after the first one was released in the 1990's. Everything else that came after it was just plain horrible.

turtle1237
08-13-2014, 11:05 AM

It was the cartoon for me, I still remember turning on the TV, and seeing that amazing intro. I was hook. a what? 6 or 7 year old? Of course once the 1990 movie came, I feel in loved with it more than the cartoon.

It had action, a pretty dark story line, values over family, Top acting, the puppet work was something I never saw before, and I loved every one in the film from April, Casey to the Turtles, you really care about them. Splinter rule lol.

I did enjoy the 2nd and 3rd films, but that first film will always hold a place in my heart. I still recall seeing it in theaters.