PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Poll on TMNT2014

turtlefanforever
08-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Well it's out, it's been out for a couple days. There was a lot of hate, a bit of support. Now cast your vote now having seen it!

Autbot_Benz
08-12-2014, 09:52 PM
I loved it I thought it was a nice addition to the turtles franchise. But I guess people will complain to no end about this movie for the silly reasons they do.

Warhorse
08-12-2014, 09:56 PM
I don't know how I would rate it.

The Turtles- besides some design issues, but the personalities were great.

But as a film, this thing is horrible.

Xiewin
08-12-2014, 09:56 PM
I said this before in another thread but..

The Turtles = Good

Everything else = bad

I gave it a decent because there was at least one thing I liked about it.

Warhorse
08-12-2014, 09:57 PM
How many of these polls are going to be coming out? Makes me wonder, when September rolls around, and the Nick toon starts to show again, if it will make the movie become completely forgotten?

terrorblade
08-12-2014, 10:11 PM
How many of these polls are going to be coming out? Makes me wonder, when September rolls around, and the Nick toon starts to show again, if it will make the movie become completely forgotten?

Probably, there's just nothing else to talk about right now. Although this is getting a little boring since we already knew what certain posters will gonna post before even clicking on the thread.

ManBurning
08-13-2014, 05:17 AM
I usually read the threads here more than I post (as you can probably tell from my poor post count in 8 years), but I would just like to share my 2014 movie experience with you here...

So as many others, I was stoked beyond belief for a new TMNT live action movie to the big screen. TMNT has always been one of those things I hold pretty close to my heart. I've always been very accepting of all the different incarnations of the turtles over the years. I remember backing up the 2003 cartoon series to people my age who grew up on the 90's cartoon and would immediately dismiss the new cartoon as being "garbage". Told them to give it a chance, as it had a darker more mature tone and was actually good. Then the Nick version came out, and I once again fell in love with the turtles all over again.

Then, we got confirmation of a new live action movie. Sweet! Can't Wait!

So, how was it? Well, as a long time fan I can say I enjoyed it. I agree the movie had a very rocky lifespan. I was following the pre-production of the film as much as all of you from the aliens, to the leaked early script to making Shredder white etc and was actually starting to fear the movie. The more I heard, the more the turtle fan in me was losing hope for this movie. So, my expectations were kind of low (Given Michael Bay's track record for films. Yes, I know he wasn't the director... but this still has his name and his production company, Platinum Dunes, written all over it. So it might as well be a Michael Bay fun hour).

Anyway, the more I heard, the more I was losing hope. Then the first teaser came out in March/April (That one with "no, no, no it's just a mask") and my interest level went from "I'm downright worried to this movie" to "Curiously Optimistic". I was one of the few that embraced the new turtles designs. I thought they were GREAT! I mean, they actually look like what real live mutant disfigured turtles would look like. They are not supposed to have beautiful smooth and silky skin. They are mutant abominations created from abnormal chemicals... (Would you expect a person with chemical burns from working in a factory with dangerous substances to still have perfect skin after an accident? I don't think so...)

Then more bad news started to leak, Johnny Knoxville doing Leonardo's voice, the rumor of the movie being pushed back due to reshoots, said reshoots actually taking place so close to the movie's release date. etc... I started to get worried again that this film was going straight to the trash can. I don't think I have ever followed a movie so close to being in "development hell" as this movie (Well, unless you count Ghostbusters 3... but that's another story). I started to become more worried yet again.

I told myself, you know what... Let's just stop reading the forums for a while, don't watch anymore movie trailers, or listen to what anyone else has to say. I know I want to see this movie, I don't need a movie trailer to entice me. I'm a turtles fan, and i'm going to see the movie regardless...

And boy oh boy am I ever glad I didn't watch those trailers. After I saw the movie, I went back and watched them and holy hell they give away THE WHOLE MOVIE in the trailers. Seriously, some of the most important scenes are flat out given away in the trailers... AND if that's not bad enough, Paramount had the nerve to release that 3 minute clip of them in the elevator about to go battle Shredder... AND give away the Punchline of the movie (Cowabunga). Like c'mon guys! Some things need to be left to experience in the theater. I swear, the only stuff they left out of the trailer was all the gobbilty-gook scenes with April Meandering around NYC looking for the turtles and getting fired from her job...

I'm getting a tad sidetracked here. Let's go back to my actual viewing for a minute. Since I never really watched any of the trailers after the first one and TRIED to avoid spoilers for the most part, I went in with an open mind and lower expectations that I have to say were met. I enjoyed the film for what it was (no Oscar winning masterpiece), but a fun summer popcorn action flick. The action scenes were good and plentiful (probably the most action i've ever seen in a TMNT film), the CGI was decent, the turtles personality's were spot on... I actually really enjoyed this take on Donatello. he is by far my least favourite turtle in any of the series (aside from the video games... gotta love his bo-staff reach, easier to kill enemies). But this may be the best version of Donatello, EVER. They really played into his smarts really well and he even had a few good one-liners and got to shine a few times throughout the film. I thought they were going to give him the short end of the stick (no pun intended) based on him being left out of the teaser and the majority of trailer and promotional material, and I can say he was awesome.

I enjoyed this version of Raph as well, but that's probably because he is my favourite turtle. Well, it's usually a close call between him and Leo, but raph won the spotlight in this movie next to Don, as Leo basically didn't do anything. He was so under-utalized in this movie, it wasn't even funny. Aside from the Shredder, I think he had the least lines in the whole film. I think Splinter even spoke more than him. Which brings me to Splinter... I don't think i really cared for this version of him that much. he just didn't seem like the old wise sensai type of father figure the turtles should have been looking up to. He was kind of an ass. I think they made him too young and agile as well. it was cool seeing him whoop some Shredder ass, but in the end, I kinda prefer my Splinter to be a feeble old rat master who has lived though many tough battles.

OK, i've praised the movie a lot at this point, but it is by no means perfect. The story? What story... it was totally lacking a story, and character development for that much. The movie assumes the audience already knows the characters and doesn't divulge too much into the four brothers. April O'Neil probably gets the biggest fleshed out role of the film, but do we really care about her? All we really want is a movie about the turtles after all, right? But at the end of the day, I can't criticize the movie too much for not having a good story... it's a bloody Ninja Turtles movie after all. The basic premise is there (for the most part). the evil Shredder try's to take over the world and the turtles need to stop him. That was all there. Even if they shoe-horned "Asian Shredder" into the movie at the last second, you can totally tell William Fichtner was supposed to be Shredder. (I wonder if there is a William Fichtner as the Shredder copy of the film cut and laying around somewhere... i'd like to see that version for comparion sake. Imagine getting 2 versions of the movie when the blu-ray comes out. That would be kinda neat).

To finalize my long review (which I am sure 90% of you never even bothered reading this from someone with such a low post count on this board, which isn't technically in the right thread (but hey, some jerks decided to get the official movie review thread locked, Thanks!) I would just like to say that I enjoyed the film for what it was, hated the new origin with April and the turtles being connected when she was a kid, but had a fun time with this movie. I think this set of turtles really played well off one another and I would LOVE to see them on another adventure together (hopefully that announced sequel is actually coming). I'd give this film a 6.5/10. Wasn't a total waste of time, and if you can go in with an open mind knowing there are some mild changes to a beloved franchise you grew up with 25-30 years ago, and understand that some things from that era should have STAYED in that era and will not work in 2014, I think you'll have a good time at the movies with this one.

strawberryfields
08-13-2014, 07:07 AM
I usually read the threads here more than I post (as you can probably tell from my poor post count in 8 years), but I would just like to share my 2014 movie experience with you here...

So as many others, I was stoked beyond belief for a new TMNT live action movie to the big screen. TMNT has always been one of those things I hold pretty close to my heart. I've always been very accepting of all the different incarnations of the turtles over the years. I remember backing up the 2003 cartoon series to people my age who grew up on the 90's cartoon and would immediately dismiss the new cartoon as being "garbage". Told them to give it a chance, as it had a darker more mature tone and was actually good. Then the Nick version came out, and I once again fell in love with the turtles all over again.

Then, we got confirmation of a new live action movie. Sweet! Can't Wait!

So, how was it? Well, as a long time fan I can say I enjoyed it. I agree the movie had a very rocky lifespan. I was following the pre-production of the film as much as all of you from the aliens, to the leaked early script to making Shredder white etc and was actually starting to fear the movie. The more I heard, the more the turtle fan in me was losing hope for this movie. So, my expectations were kind of low (Given Michael Bay's track record for films. Yes, I know he wasn't the director... but this still has his name and his production company, Platinum Dunes, written all over it. So it might as well be a Michael Bay fun hour).

Anyway, the more I heard, the more I was losing hope. Then the first teaser came out in March/April (That one with "no, no, no it's just a mask") and my interest level went from "I'm downright worried to this movie" to "Curiously Optimistic". I was one of the few that embraced the new turtles designs. I thought they were GREAT! I mean, they actually look like what real live mutant disfigured turtles would look like. They are not supposed to have beautiful smooth and silky skin. They are mutant abominations created from abnormal chemicals... (Would you expect a person with chemical burns from working in a factory with dangerous substances to still have perfect skin after an accident? I don't think so...)

Then more bad news started to leak, Johnny Knoxville doing Leonardo's voice, the rumor of the movie being pushed back due to reshoots, said reshoots actually taking place so close to the movie's release date. etc... I started to get worried again that this film was going straight to the trash can. I don't think I have ever followed a movie so close to being in "development hell" as this movie (Well, unless you count Ghostbusters 3... but that's another story). I started to become more worried yet again.

I told myself, you know what... Let's just stop reading the forums for a while, don't watch anymore movie trailers, or listen to what anyone else has to say. I know I want to see this movie, I don't need a movie trailer to entice me. I'm a turtles fan, and i'm going to see the movie regardless...

And boy oh boy am I ever glad I didn't watch those trailers. After I saw the movie, I went back and watched them and holy hell they give away THE WHOLE MOVIE in the trailers. Seriously, some of the most important scenes are flat out given away in the trailers... AND if that's not bad enough, Paramount had the nerve to release that 3 minute clip of them in the elevator about to go battle Shredder... AND give away the Punchline of the movie (Cowabunga). Like c'mon guys! Some things need to be left to experience in the theater. I swear, the only stuff they left out of the trailer was all the gobbilty-gook scenes with April Meandering around NYC looking for the turtles and getting fired from her job...

I'm getting a tad sidetracked here. Let's go back to my actual viewing for a minute. Since I never really watched any of the trailers after the first one and TRIED to avoid spoilers for the most part, I went in with an open mind and lower expectations that I have to say were met. I enjoyed the film for what it was (no Oscar winning masterpiece), but a fun summer popcorn action flick. The action scenes were good and plentiful (probably the most action i've ever seen in a TMNT film), the CGI was decent, the turtles personality's were spot on... I actually really enjoyed this take on Donatello. he is by far my least favourite turtle in any of the series (aside from the video games... gotta love his bo-staff reach, easier to kill enemies). But this may be the best version of Donatello, EVER. They really played into his smarts really well and he even had a few good one-liners and got to shine a few times throughout the film. I thought they were going to give him the short end of the stick (no pun intended) based on him being left out of the teaser and the majority of trailer and promotional material, and I can say he was awesome.

I enjoyed this version of Raph as well, but that's probably because he is my favourite turtle. Well, it's usually a close call between him and Leo, but raph won the spotlight in this movie next to Don, as Leo basically didn't do anything. He was so under-utalized in this movie, it wasn't even funny. Aside from the Shredder, I think he had the least lines in the whole film. I think Splinter even spoke more than him. Which brings me to Splinter... I don't think i really cared for this version of him that much. he just didn't seem like the old wise sensai type of father figure the turtles should have been looking up to. He was kind of an ass. I think they made him too young and agile as well. it was cool seeing him whoop some Shredder ass, but in the end, I kinda prefer my Splinter to be a feeble old rat master who has lived though many tough battles.

OK, i've praised the movie a lot at this point, but it is by no means perfect. The story? What story... it was totally lacking a story, and character development for that much. The movie assumes the audience already knows the characters and doesn't divulge too much into the four brothers. April O'Neil probably gets the biggest fleshed out role of the film, but do we really care about her? All we really want is a movie about the turtles after all, right? But at the end of the day, I can't criticize the movie too much for not having a good story... it's a bloody Ninja Turtles movie after all. The basic premise is there (for the most part). the evil Shredder try's to take over the world and the turtles need to stop him. That was all there. Even if they shoe-horned "Asian Shredder" into the movie at the last second, you can totally tell William Fichtner was supposed to be Shredder. (I wonder if there is a William Fichtner as the Shredder copy of the film cut and laying around somewhere... i'd like to see that version for comparion sake. Imagine getting 2 versions of the movie when the blu-ray comes out. That would be kinda neat).

To finalize my long review (which I am sure 90% of you never even bothered reading this from someone with such a low post count on this board, which isn't technically in the right thread (but hey, some jerks decided to get the official movie review thread locked, Thanks!) I would just like to say that I enjoyed the film for what it was, hated the new origin with April and the turtles being connected when she was a kid, but had a fun time with this movie. I think this set of turtles really played well off one another and I would LOVE to see them on another adventure together (hopefully that announced sequel is actually coming). I'd give this film a 6.5/10. Wasn't a total waste of time, and if you can go in with an open mind knowing there are some mild changes to a beloved franchise you grew up with 25-30 years ago, and understand that some things from that era should have STAYED in that era and will not work in 2014, I think you'll have a good time at the movies with this one.

Yea, they really shouldn't have had them say cowabunga in the trailers. It would have hit me so much harder if it caught me off guard

Drucifer
08-13-2014, 09:17 AM
I also read here more than post, but I finally got the chance to see the movie last night.

I absolutely loved it.

I started out with the original cartoon, from the day it first aired. Never got much into the comic books, but have collected a mass amount of them that I've never even looked at, when I have some time, I'm going to read them all.

I don't have high expectations for movies these days as I'm generally let down if I do. That said, I thought they did a great job at capturing the teenage element of the turtles, the humor and everything. I loved all the hat-tips to past elements of the franchise.

Really, my only gripe was the pace of the film, just seemed to end abruptly.
I'll go watch it again this weekend, I didn't get the chance to watch it in 3D and want to get some of those glasses. :D Wasn't a huge fan of all the accessories on the turtles, but it definitely didn't ruin anything for me.

Above all, I'm stoked that the franchise is alive again and no doubt this movie will spark a whole new generation onto TMNT. At 32, I've got friends with kids who are all about the turtles now, it's awesome looking at my facebook feed and seeing these kids having TMNT themed birthdays and whatnot.......and I get to be the cool uncle with the TMNT tats all over his leg!

Shark_Blade
08-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Well it's out, it's been out for a couple days. There was a lot of hate, a bit of support. Now cast your vote now having seen it!

A bit of support? You just keep on being delusional then. :tlol: