PDA

View Full Version : The Leo One Shots

Warhorse
08-13-2014, 10:01 PM
So, unless you've been living under a rock, you all know about the new Leo one shot coming to the Nick toon. Do you think it's going to be on par, worse or better than the Shredder Strikes Back episode of the 2k3?

Mona_Lisa
08-13-2014, 10:04 PM
So, unless you've been living under a rock, you all know about the new Leo one shot coming to the Nick toon. Do you think it's going to be on par, worse or better than the Shredder Strikes Back episode of the 2k3?

I'm going to say at least on par... I'm so excited!:D

pennydreadful
08-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Agreed - I think it's going to be at least on par. :)

musashi-kamiizumi
08-14-2014, 12:56 AM
I've been living under a rock, by which I mean I don't own a television. Do what now?

Netkeeper
08-14-2014, 01:47 AM
Why is this in the 2k3 section? :ohwell:

Blossombrooks
08-14-2014, 01:57 AM
Honestly, I can't see it being as good. Leo in 2k3 was already an adept ninja and you knew as he eyed up the foot surrounding him he was gonna go down swinging and take as many of them as he could with him.
Nick Leo, while accomplished, does not give off that air of badassery.

MrPliggins
08-14-2014, 06:18 AM
I don't know what this is. I guess I'll have to catch up with the Nick show one of these days (I left off about 10 eps into season 2). But if it's anything like those episodes I'll have to watch.

CyberCubed
08-14-2014, 07:23 AM
I don't know why you would ask this question now before the Nick episode ever aired. I do like in the Nick episode its snowing like in the comic, which is a nice touch.

Tazi
08-14-2014, 07:33 AM
So, unless you've been living under a rock
If you're into 4Kids' kind of TMNT, you might not like and follow the much more silly Nick show. You don't have to be pretentious just because you enjoy both shows.

MrPliggins
08-14-2014, 04:07 PM
If you're into 4Kids' kind of TMNT, you might not like and follow the much more silly Nick show. You don't have to be pretentious just because you enjoy both shows.

Yeah, that's how I am. I don't feel the need or the anticipation of each week's episode for Nick like I did for the 2k3 show. I usually wait until half a season has aired and watch it all at once. I like the show, it's just not my cup of tea as much as 2k3. Anyway I have no idea what the Leo one shot is but I'll find out eventually I'm sure.

Warhorse
08-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Why is this in the 2k3 section? :ohwell:

Why not?

I wanted a place to discuss the likely hood of comparing both episodes since they are probably going to be the darkest points in both TMNT cartoons up to this point. And I like both shows, but it seems if you say anything about 2k3 over in the Nick section, a lot of 2k3 haters like to pop up and just completely derail the thread with the bashing.

tmntpower1988
08-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Honestly, I can't see it being as good. Leo in 2k3 was already an adept ninja and you knew as he eyed up the foot surrounding him he was gonna go down swinging and take as many of them as he could with him.
Nick Leo, while accomplished, does not give off that air of badassery.

Pretty much this. It just won't be the same without the Foot Elite and the turtles commenting on their hats lol This long wait is making me start to lose interest in the season 2 finale tbh

Blossombrooks
08-15-2014, 04:42 PM
^ Oh the wait is painful! I do kinda hope they found a way to slip in the "Nice hats" bit, that was gold :D

DarkLightDragon
08-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Honestly, I came to terms that the 2012 series was not, or ever meant to be 2k3 2.0 nor embody what made that series so appealing to me a long time ago. I don't really care how similar or different how it'll handle the Leo one-shot adaptation, just as long as it's memorable to watch and capture the intensity one should have for this scenario of Leo getting ganged up on by the Foot and fighting back as best he can.

CyberCubed
08-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Honestly, I came to terms that the 2012 series was not, or ever meant to be 2k3 2.0 nor embody what made that series so appealing to me a long time ago. I don't really care how similar or different how it'll handle the Leo one-shot adaptation, just as long as it's memorable to watch and capture the intensity one should have for this scenario of Leo getting ganged up on by the Foot and fighting back as best he can.

Why would you expect Nick to be like 2k3 in the first place when the tone and handling of the characters was completely different from day 1?

oldmanwinters
08-15-2014, 08:53 PM
The Shredder Strikes Back 2-parter really was as good as it got for the 2k3 toon, so I honestly can't imagine any other turtles medium topping that.

I'd say those episodes were almost perfect.

Warhorse
08-15-2014, 10:44 PM

What I also thought was memorable, in Tales of Leo, when we see the ultra tough guy Raphael actually cry, I guess this is why people hope to see Raph finally go berzerk when he see's Leo down. We never got that in 2k3 until Exodus.

DarkLightDragon
08-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Why would you expect Nick to be like 2k3 in the first place when the tone and handling of the characters was completely different from day 1?

I never did, that's my point. 2k3 is over and done with and don't expect it to come back in any way. I originally enjoyed 2012 for being fresh and different. If I want to watch 2k3, I'll watch any of my DVD collection.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
08-16-2014, 06:19 AM
I doubt that the 2k12 Leo one shot adaption will be as good as the 2k3.

erik
08-16-2014, 07:18 AM

What do you mean worse? I haven't seen an episode from the new cartoon that deserves any negative connotation. ^_^

Netkeeper
08-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Why not?

I wanted a place to discuss the likely hood of comparing both episodes since they are probably going to be the darkest points in both TMNT cartoons up to this point. And I like both shows, but it seems if you say anything about 2k3 over in the Nick section, a lot of 2k3 haters like to pop up and just completely derail the thread with the bashing.
Because the thread subject is about 2k12, not 2k3. :ohwell:

DarkLightDragon
08-16-2014, 07:27 AM
I think another reason why the Leo micro-issue was so memorable was that it was the first time to show him actually get hurt or beaten up. This issue was spent entirely to show the reader why he was the leader and how being so disciplined is what gave him the edge over the many opponents he faced. So for it to end with him getting tossed through the window, brushed and battered, and saying Shredder's back, was basically the comic's way of saying, "the big bad leader is down, and s*it's about to get real."

Warhorse
08-16-2014, 09:16 AM
What do you mean worse? I haven't seen an episode from the new cartoon that deserves any negative connotation. ^_^

That's why I wrote "do you think it's going to be" Kind of like a prediction. Can't people read these days anymore?:roll:
Because the thread subject is about 2k12, not 2k3. :ohwell:

No it's not 2k12, it's about the infamous Leo one shot based on the comic, and 2k3 has already done a near perfect job at it, so I'm curious which episode is going to go down as the more classic.

I'd like to see a poll which of the classic scenes people like the most concerning the Raph Meets Casey Jones.
The Mirage Comics
1990 movie
2k3

tmntpower1988
08-16-2014, 10:29 AM
The 2k3 Leo one shot will be very hard to top tbh I reckon the Nick one should be good too. I wonder if Nick will do their own version of Same As It Never Was. I was watching SAINW on Youtube last night, very depressing episode. My eyes were watering at the part where Raph was dying and he was all "Leo... Leo" with the sad music :(

Tazi
08-16-2014, 11:18 AM
I wish they were made an adaptation of Blind Sight. Tho I guess it would be too dark for the cartoon still aimed mainly for children. :ohwell:

It was awesome that they were still able to get away a lot of things like Same as it never was, or Stockman rotting body or Leo cutting Shredder's head.

Warhorse
08-16-2014, 09:11 PM
I wish they were made an adaptation of Blind Sight. Tho I guess it would be too dark for the cartoon still aimed mainly for children. :ohwell:

It was awesome that they were still able to get away a lot of things like Same as it never was, or Stockman rotting body or Leo cutting Shredder's head.

I think both cartoons can get downright dark despite being for kids. 2k3 had Raph nearly killing Mikey, the Ninja Tribunal had 4 humans who sacrificed themselves to save the Turtles, Leo not only gets nearly killed in Shredder Strikes Back, he gets stabbed from behind in Exodus, and all of the other brothers actually get one helluva a beating in that episode, Raph the worst next to Leo.

In Nick, Raph didn't see red when he attacked Leo in it's version of Meet Casey Jones, but he did get very close to killing Casey himself, Slash beating Mikey and Donny to a pulp, and both toons cover past deaths, the 2k3 with Yoshi, and the Nick with Teng Shen.

pennydreadful
08-17-2014, 02:18 AM
The 2k3 Leo one shot will be very hard to top tbh I reckon the Nick one should be good too. I wonder if Nick will do their own version of Same As It Never Was. I was watching SAINW on Youtube last night, very depressing episode. My eyes were watering at the part where Raph was dying and he was all "Leo... Leo" with the sad music :(

If they do another SAINW, I'm not sure my emotions will remain intact!

Netkeeper
08-17-2014, 05:23 AM
I don't want them to do another SAINW because they'd never be able to do it justice.

Not that I'm worried, because doing another SAINW would mean... GASP... acknowledging 2k3's existence!

Tazi
08-17-2014, 05:48 AM
Leo not only gets nearly killed in Shredder Strikes Back, he gets stabbed from behind in Exodus,
He actually gets stabbed from the front, and straight trough his internal organs, and a chunk of his shell gets broken from the rest when the blade comes out at his back.
But of course it's censored, and even animated in a wierd way, so it's not easy to tell what happens.

Warhorse
08-17-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't want them to do another SAINW because they'd never be able to do it justice.

Not that I'm worried, because doing another SAINW would mean... GASP... acknowledging 2k3's existence!

I've noticed something bud, whenever they are getting ready to reference something from the 2k3, it's very convenient that the IDW comics will do something first, so then, the Nick toon will be like, nag, we're just adapting something from IDW. Or, due to the fact that 2k3 was heavily influenced by Mirage, then they will be like, no, Nick's not taking something from 2k3, it's taking something from Mirage, so the poor 2k3 toon is really losing it's status in the TMNT world. Sad to see this happen. It's had it's issues, but was in now way a bad show, and probably some of the best construed TMNT shows we were lucky to see animated.

CyberCubed
08-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Why are you people coming up with delusional conspiracy theories of Nick ignoring the 2k3 show? The writers at Nick don't have a personal vendetta against a cartoon. Its like you people are 10 year old schoolkids ranting about something with your friends in the schoolyard.

pharaohyami5000
08-17-2014, 04:36 PM
So... by your assumptions, Warhorse, Karai in Nick's was based on Lotus Blossom from the Classic's?

I've not started on Nick's yet, or any knowledge of the comics, so forgive my possible insulting thoughts.

Warhorse
08-17-2014, 06:09 PM
So... by your assumptions, Warhorse, Karai in Nick's was based on Lotus Blossom from the Classic's?

I've not started on Nick's yet, or any knowledge of the comics, so forgive my possible insulting thoughts.

Karai first started in the Mirage comics, no? Hey, I hope to be proven wrong. There's still time for that. I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

Technogeek29
08-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Karai first started in the Mirage comics, no? Hey, I hope to be proven wrong. There's still time for that. I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

They both started at roughly the same time. So close it's hard to determine who really came first.

Warhorse
08-17-2014, 09:47 PM
They both started at roughly the same time. So close it's hard to determine who really came first.
Kind of like the Turtle's ages. Yeah, we may have an idea which Turtle got mutated first, but to know which Turtle was truly hatched first out of his egg, is something I think we will never know.

I will say, I did see something that the Nick toon took from 2k3. The 3 weird humans who were after Shredder in Shredder Strikes, well, they talked in that monotone voice that the krang robots do in the Nick toon.

CyberCubed
08-17-2014, 10:40 PM
I will say, I did see something that the Nick toon took from 2k3. The 3 weird humans who were after Shredder in Shredder Strikes, well, they talked in that monotone voice that the krang robots do in the Nick toon.

Those 3 humans were Utrom navigators.

Leofan26
08-27-2014, 01:36 PM
I think both cartoons can get downright dark despite being for kids. 2k3 had Raph nearly killing Mikey, the Ninja Tribunal had 4 humans who sacrificed themselves to save the Turtles, Leo not only gets nearly killed in Shredder Strikes Back, he gets stabbed from behind in Exodus, and all of the other brothers actually get one helluva a beating in that episode, Raph the worst next to Leo.

In Nick, Raph didn't see red when he attacked Leo in it's version of Meet Casey Jones, but he did get very close to killing Casey himself, Slash beating Mikey and Donny to a pulp, and both toons cover past deaths, the 2k3 with Yoshi, and the Nick with Teng Shen.

I can see the Raph subplot happen but switched with Donnie instead with the way things are going sadly.

Ask for the question, maybe. It probably won't be as gory as the 2003 series, with Shredder and his top minions ( Tigger Claw / Foot ) Being behind the attack. It should be a good one at least.

I just hope it's a continuing subplot for Leo in season three, I know Nick's series had it's problems of hopping around, some times acting like plots didn't happen till the continue with it the next couple of episodes later. I hope they fix this and we see Leo in revenge mode and getting it in season four on Shredder, which is what it will hopefully be about, no Kraang plots involved please :roll:

LeotheLateBloomer
08-28-2014, 05:28 AM
Why are you people coming up with delusional conspiracy theories of Nick ignoring the 2k3 show? The writers at Nick don't have a personal vendetta against a cartoon. Its like you people are 10 year old schoolkids ranting about something with your friends in the schoolyard.

Nick has yet to release anything related to the 2003 besides Turtles Forever. If you go to the store to look for merchandise of TMNT, you will likely see stuff on the 80s toon and the Nick series (which makes sense since it is the newest incarnation). There are no new DVDS, T-shirts, hats, etc. related to the series.

Warhorse
09-26-2014, 08:01 PM
So, now that the 2012 Leo one shot is out, I woudl say, I like it slightly below 2k3, just slightly. I felt it was disjointed with the whole Kraang invasion thing, while the 2k3 was just more focused. I do however, kind of like how Splinter is away from them in the 2012, it gives them a chance to mature without him there.

2k3 Leo One Shot- 9/10
2012 Leo One Shot-8/10

evan2000
09-27-2014, 01:40 AM
I'll just leave my thoughts here:

I feel that Nick has done a much better job adapting the Leo one-shot, while 4Kids did a better job adapting TMNT #10, as Nick barely did any homage to #10 other than the first and last page. Everything in the middle has been replaced by the invasion plot. If I create comparison shots of 4Kids' The Shredder Strikes Back 2-parter vs Mirage, I can hardly find common scenes between the cartoon and Leo #1, as it was raining (not snowing) and Leo was hopping on rooftops being hunted by Foot ninjas, Foot Mechs and Hun (not trapped into a construction site and into the icy water). The only relevant part is the appearance of the Foot Elite. And later Leo crashed through the window the opposite way too (face first instead of shell first). In comparison, Nick's adaptation is much closer to the comic, up to this point.

However, right after this point, which is where Leo #1 ends and TMNT #10 starts, the 4Kids adaptation is almost a panel-by-panel clone of the comic. Everything from the Foot ambush, Splinter catching an arrow by hand, the staircase trip downstairs, the fight in the antique shop, Casey Jones' surprise entry, the fire, and the narrow escape via the cooling unit vent was faithfully remade. Nick did none of these, and skipped straight to the escape-to-North-Hampton arc right after the invasion plot.

To be honest, I absolutely love 4Kids' and Nick's takes on the 2-parter, they are both excellent in their own ways. However I'd give Nick extra credit by incorporating a well known story into their own continuity seamlessly, while 4Kids pretty much tagged along the comics' storyline for most of their continuity.

tmntpower1988
09-27-2014, 01:15 PM
I still prefer the Leo One Shot in the 4kids series. Nick's version would have been better if it didn't focus so much on the Kraang. I hate the Kraang in the 2k12 show, find them really annoying. Was still a good episode though.

Coola Yagami
09-27-2014, 08:44 PM
One thing to consider is that the 2K3 is all about the Leo one-shot. The Nick version is all about the Kraang invasion... while adding parts of the Leo one-shot.

tmntpower1988
09-29-2014, 12:35 AM
One thing to consider is that the 2K3 is all about the Leo one-shot. The Nick version is all about the Kraang invasion... while adding parts of the Leo one-shot.

They should have just made the whole episode about the Leo one shot. We already had a Kraang invasion in the season 1 finale we didn't need another invasion again, makes the show a bit repetitive.

NinjaPug
09-29-2014, 06:39 PM
I loved the Nick version but I prefer the 4Kids adaptation simply because the whole episode was focused on Leo.

I also love that it was snowing in the Nick version.

CyberCubed
09-29-2014, 06:47 PM
They didn't even burn down the shop in the Nick version, what a disappointment

evan2000
09-29-2014, 07:46 PM
They didn't even burn down the shop in the Nick version, what a disappointment
The antique shop fire was part of TMNT #10, not Leonardo #1 (ie. Leo one-shot). Nick did an excellent job by focussing on Leo #1 for the first half of the story they wanted to tell. They only used very little of TMNT#10 (pretty much only the first and last page) because they had to showcase the on-going invasion + Turtle Mech battle with Kraang Prime in the second half of the story.

You can assume Nick has not adapted page 2-35 of TMNT #10 yet, and may do so in the future. The antique shop is still there anyway, perhaps Nick needs more time to design the 3D model of the shop interior (and not immediately wrecking it in its first appearance :tlol:).

k_lala
10-10-2014, 07:07 AM
4Kids was the best ever, i stopped watching Nicktoons after season 1. Too kiddy for me also the stories were all the same. Each week there was a new plant, insect, etc that got mutated and had to fight it. Too many 1 shot episodes, no story arches.

For me no way any one shot will out due 4Kids. Unless you take some of the worst shows from this series than match it up yes.

evan2000
10-10-2014, 08:50 AM
4Kids was the best ever, i stopped watching Nicktoons after season 1. Too kiddy for me also the stories were all the same. Each week there was a new plant, insect, etc that got mutated and had to fight it. Too many 1 shot episodes, no story arches.

For me no way any one shot will out due 4Kids. Unless you take some of the worst shows from this series than match it up yes.
If you stopped after season 1, how do you know about the Leo one-shot done by Nick, and how well it fared against 4Kids' rendition? Also, saying that Nick has no story arc is totally untrue. Karai's story arc has been a long one that started since season 1 and became the main focus towards the end of season 2. Introduction of other notable characters such as Casey Jones, Slash and Tiger Claw also spanned across multiple episodes to form a larger story arc surrounding them. And finally, the season 2 finale is a masterpiece that wrapped up several of the on-going stories into one, and of course, included the Leo one-shot that was so highly acclaimed. You're really missing out if you haven't watch it (and much of season 2, especially the second half).

And if you really haven't seen the Leo one-shot from Nick, check out these screenshots (in comparison to Mirage comic) to see if it changes your perception: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=49445&page=11

k_lala
10-10-2014, 12:41 PM
If you stopped after season 1, how do you know about the Leo one-shot done by Nick, and how well it fared against 4Kids' rendition? Also, saying that Nick has no story arc is totally untrue. Karai's story arc has been a long one that started since season 1 and became the main focus towards the end of season 2. Introduction of other notable characters such as Casey Jones, Slash and Tiger Claw also spanned across multiple episodes to form a larger story arc surrounding them. And finally, the season 2 finale is a masterpiece that wrapped up several of the on-going stories into one, and of course, included the Leo one-shot that was so highly acclaimed. You're really missing out if you haven't watch it (and much of season 2, especially the second half).

And if you really haven't seen the Leo one-shot from Nick, check out these screenshots (in comparison to Mirage comic) to see if it changes your perception: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=49445&page=11
Maybe i'll go check out the one shot, I still favor 4Kids though as a whole. What's the episode called for Leo's?

evan2000
10-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Maybe i'll go check out the one shot, I still favor 4Kids though as a whole. What's the episode called for Leo's?
Yes, you should. The episode is The Invasion (season 2 episode 25-26) but I recommend that you watch Into Dimension X (season 2 episode 24) first just to keep up with the pace, ie. the precursor of the invasion.

Warhorse
10-11-2014, 11:48 AM
I loved the Nick version but I prefer the 4Kids adaptation simply because the whole episode was focused on Leo.

I also love that it was snowing in the Nick version.

Someone on youtube re-edited the Nick Leo one shot so it just focused on him, no cuts back to the Kraang invasion, it was a better experience.

k_lala
10-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Yes, you should. The episode is The Invasion (season 2 episode 25-26) but I recommend that you watch Into Dimension X (season 2 episode 24) first just to keep up with the pace, ie. the precursor of the invasion.

I watched it, it's good not bad. I appreciated the scenes that mimic the comic that was great. Still prefer 4kids version by a long shot.