PDA

View Full Version : Could Eric Sacks still be the Shredder in some international versions?

Blips
08-14-2014, 04:31 PM
I know it seems crazy and I assumed all versions worldwide would be mostly the same, until I saw this trailer for the October 15th French release. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjR4uHW1J_s)

xjR4uHW1J_s
Doesn’t that sound like William Fichtner in suit as the Shredder at 1:03?

I also don’t remember April saying “Ninja Turtles?” at 0:33 in the American version. That seems to have been changed to “Ninja…Mutant…Turtle…Teenagers?”

It’s not unheard of. The 1990 film had some different fight footage and alternate takes because nunchucks were a big no-no in the UK.

It seems that there were three main complaints that lead to changes during the film’s development.

The turtles as aliens, but this seems to have been fixed before the film started shooting.
The title. People complained that it was just Ninja Turtles, not Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but the French version is still titled Ninja Turtles.
Eric Sacks as Shredder, which seems to have been scripted that way to increase global appeal. According to this interview with Tohoru Masamune (http://www.movieweb.com/news/tohoru-masamune-talks-shredder-in-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-exclusive) there might've been concern that a Hong Kong audience wouldn’t want to watch a Japanese villain.

If the trailer above is indication, it seems Ninja Turtles is the full title and Sacks might be Shredder in the French version. How crazy would that be?

Maybe that would explain why the release date was moved back in some markets. That way there aren’t two different versions of the film in theaters at the same time. The backlash about Sacks as Shredder dissipates when American audiences sees the US release and then an alternate international cut is released two months later. It’s all speculation at this time, but it is interesting.

Mellie
08-14-2014, 04:36 PM
I can only hope!

TheSkeletonMan939
08-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Man... just think of the possibilities. Could some international versions have an extended cut with this storyline? That'd be amazing.

Raven
08-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Good catch, sounds just like him.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-14-2014, 05:02 PM
I just think they didn't bother to change the voice in the trailer, I really don't think he'll be Shredder in the final cut. :)

beeshaw
08-14-2014, 05:17 PM
The trailer was published 3 days ago. The film is DONE. In the can. Seems extremely lazy of it's just a case of 'we didn't feel like using the voice track that's in the actual movie.' Early on while they're still putting the movie together, I could understand. But now??

Very interesting to say the least...

Regardless, that's pretty much PROOF that Sacks WAS Shredder. Maybe he still will be for International versions.

IndigoErth
08-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Doesnít that sound like William Fichtner in suit as the Shredder at 1:03?
Personally I would not trust the placement of any audio in trailers. After seeing it, it was interesting hearing what lines really turned up where, and what were never even heard.

If they do a different cut for different countries...
http://25.media.tumblr.com/c987cf1657c71ca6b279bb06d371652c/tumblr_mn1y5wsjb01rdx4nlo1_500.jpg

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-14-2014, 05:45 PM
The trailer was published 3 days ago. The film is DONE. In the can. Seems extremely lazy of it's just a case of 'we didn't feel like using the voice track that's in the actual movie.' Early on while they're still putting the movie together, I could understand. But now??

Very interesting to say the least...

Regardless, that's pretty much PROOF that Sacks WAS Shredder. Maybe he still will be for International versions.

They leave deleted scenes and cut lines in tailers all the time. And scenes and dialouge are always mixed around in trailers, too.

xChri5x
08-14-2014, 05:50 PM
I wish that was the trailer we got originally. It was great.

beeshaw
08-14-2014, 06:09 PM
They leave deleted scenes and cut lines in tailers all the time. And scenes and dialouge are always mixed around in trailers, too.

I always attributed it to the fact the Trailers are cut far before the film is finished.

This one is DONE. In the can. Released in half the world. This trailer was released AFTER it was put in theatres in some regions already. Why the misdirect with Shredders voice. It's no secret he's a Japanese guy in 'our' version. Why have what is obviously Fitchner's voice in this one.

Just saying it's odd 'this late in the game' to have the film maybe mis-marketed elsewhere.

xChri5x
08-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Fichtner sounds pretty cool

Leolead
08-14-2014, 11:22 PM
Wow.. he actually sounds pretty good!

If it wasn't already obvious this pretty much confirms fitchner was The Shredder.

neatoman
08-15-2014, 02:51 AM
Well the Swedish version does not have him as the Shredder.

Shark_Blade
08-15-2014, 05:20 AM
I need this alternate version too. Do it Viacom.

neatoman
08-15-2014, 08:43 AM
I need this alternate version too. Do it Viacom.

TMNT 2014: Director's Cut, now 20% more random connections that don't make sense. Nah but seriously, this movie could stand an alternate cut.

Discogod
08-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Maybe that would explain why the release date was moved back in some markets. That way there arenít two different versions of the film in theaters at the same time. The backlash about Sacks as Shredder dissipates when American audiences sees the US release and then an alternate international cut is released two months later. Itís all speculation at this time, but it is interesting.

You make some good points, but the later international release dates have been set for a while - I don't know about other countries, but the UK release date was finalised way back in January (or possibly even before then), which I doubt is anything to do with reshoots or anything technical (it's being released to coincide with the October half-term school holiday).

Sighphi
08-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Bring back white Shredder!

Cause, cause whitewashed Splinter is part of the plot so there is actually no reason for Shred to be Japanese.

This movie is so bad.

Drose18
08-15-2014, 11:06 PM
It would be cool if Viacom made an alternate movie with all the cut scenes and some from the movie like Anchorman: Wake Up Ron Burgundy.

EDIT: Also in the french trailer she didn't say ninja turtles? in the movie

Buffy
08-15-2014, 11:55 PM
I went to the premiere in Holland yesterday: Eric Sacks was not the Shredder. I doubt they will show one version in one European country and an entirely different version in another European country.

ShellShock
08-16-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty sure that isn't Shaloub voicing Splinter either.

Sewer Sirens Podcast
08-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Man, I would totally pay to see this alternative version.

Xiewin
08-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Man, I would totally pay to see this alternative version.

Same here.

cloud
08-16-2014, 11:36 PM
It's Michael Bay. I think it's just his way of thinking this is a great far the throw off audience so at the end they would cheer for him of this not so surprised Asian Shredder.
He did something for Transformers 2 where he said he would leak false info to throw off people. It feels like he likes to stir up these buzz for his films.

Xiewin
08-16-2014, 11:49 PM
It's Michael Bay. I think it's just his way of thinking this is a great far the throw off audience so at the end they would cheer for him of this not so surprised Asian Shredder.
He did something for Transformers 2 where he said he would leak false info to throw off people. It feels like he likes to stir up these buzz for his films.

You know there were others who was involved in this movie alot more than Michael Bay right?