PDA

View Full Version : Question about restoring paint

Netkeeper
08-15-2014, 05:22 PM
So I have an old figure I'd like to repair scraped-off paint/sharpie markings to. Would anybody be able to give me some tips on getting the right colours to do this with, and what type of paint to use?

The figure in question is electronic, if that information is important. I can provide a picture if that will also help.

psychturtle
08-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Post a pic so I can have a look. I'll help any way I can.

Netkeeper
08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Apologies that he's not a ninja turtle, he's a Digimon:

http://media.tumblr.com/c5e666693a8b53f74ad66f67bbb5c92f/tumblr_inline_n5jdjuLbNc1sssjjv.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/ec92cd0a77b6c8c3c97a4d8bda4013b7/tumblr_inline_n5hi05FLyq1sssjjv.png

His ears are made of a different type of plastic, it's softer and almost rubber-like. No idea if paint would stick to it differently. I'd be painting the horn, ears, and area around the eyes [I've already applied some black paint to his nose and fixed that up].

psychturtle
08-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Apologies that he's not a ninja turtle, he's a Digimon:

http://media.tumblr.com/c5e666693a8b53f74ad66f67bbb5c92f/tumblr_inline_n5jdjuLbNc1sssjjv.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/ec92cd0a77b6c8c3c97a4d8bda4013b7/tumblr_inline_n5hi05FLyq1sssjjv.png

His ears are made of a different type of plastic, it's softer and almost rubber-like. No idea if paint would stick to it differently. I'd be painting the horn, ears, and area around the eyes [I've already applied some black paint to his nose and fixed that up].

Whatever you do, stay away from enamel paint. That will ruin some plastics and be really sticky. I'd go with model masters or Testors acrylics. I paint rubber figures from time to time and I use model masters for it. Rubber holds this paint pretty well.

Netkeeper
08-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Okay, awesome.

How would I best go about matching colours? I mean, that's what people usually do, right? [I really have no clue, I would assume people don't re-paint the entire figure just to restore small areas of lost paint]

psychturtle
08-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Okay, awesome.

How would I best go about matching colours? I mean, that's what people usually do, right? [I really have no clue, I would assume people don't re-paint the entire figure just to restore small areas of lost paint]

Nah you can play around the with the colors to get similar shades. You could even repaint the whole horn a similar color rather than touching up just the spots. At least that's what I do. Make sure and clean the figure first. Windex or dish soap would suffice. Try just a gloss white to cover up the marks on the body.

Netkeeper
08-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I can probably get away with getting the yellow colour off, but what about the light blue? His whole body is that colour and if I get the shade even slightly wrong, it'll get noticed for sure. Is there any way of testing to make sure it'd be right, or do I just have to try it and see how it works?

psychturtle
08-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I can probably get away with getting the yellow colour off, but what about the light blue? His whole body is that colour and if I get the shade even slightly wrong, it'll get noticed for sure. Is there any way of testing to make sure it'd be right, or do I just have to try it and see how it works?

Do you have any similar figure that you don't like? Lol I practiced on a few broken or unwanted figures to see how it is affected. You can try some products that remove stuff like paint scuffs. I've used windex and goo-gone before. Find another figure that is similar and see how the paint dries. The. Model masters paint dries fairly quickly so it won't take terribly long to see how it dries. Color shades usually look lighter in wet form and get darker when they dry. Sounds like a fun project!

Netkeeper
08-15-2014, 10:34 PM
I really don't know if I have any similar figures. The problem would be seeing if the paint would look different on the ears than on the rest of his body, since the ears are made of a different, rubbery-kind of plastic that isn't present on any other figure I have.

arkangel
08-16-2014, 01:22 AM
I've done projects where I've painted areas that were plastic and areas that were soft rubber and it's never been a problem. Paint looked to be the same shade regardless of the material.
What will be a problem is matching that blue paint. I agree that using an old figure or toy is the way to go until you get the right shade. Don't be discouraged. Matching an exact, existing shade is no small task. You may want to consider a complete repaint with a close color match. I won't lie. An exact match is hard to pull off my friend.
Good luck with this. I'm interested in seeing how it progresses. :)

psychoandy
08-18-2014, 09:02 PM
No matter what color you're looking for, there will always be SOME difference between factory-produced paint and something you're looking to do yourself. Even black on black is noticeable under the right light.

I'd suggest bringing the figure with you to a craft store, find the closest color you can (don't be afraid to ask a store clerk or two for help -- that's what they're there for), and re-painting the entire area in question.

But it's your toy. Do what you want with it.