PDA

View Full Version : Did the 1990 movie follow the basics of a kung fu movie?

turtle1237
08-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Been watching a lot on this kung Fu pack I got and notice the turtles movie has a lot in common.

Master teacher, Splinter the rat is the master teacher, the wise sage you get in all Kung Fu movies.

The Evil Master, goes to Shredder, most times there a old guy with long hair and a beard, but here the evil master is cover in spikes.

The Students, a good part of Kung Fu movies has the students, and in this case its the turtles.

The hot babe, April O'Neil, In the movies, the babe plays a part in the hero's story, its half and half if they get killed or not. So this film April does not die yess.

The Evil Master's evil army. Yeah they all have it, Shredder has the foot.

A wrong, Most kung Fu movies has this wrong that happen, brother killed, girlfriend rape ete, and the wrong needs to be right. Here it is the death of Splinter's master at the hands of the Shredder. Also Splinter's kidnapped.

Some thing bad happens to one of the students. In this movies one of the Students gets hurt or killed. Here Raph gets beat up pretty bad. And almost losing his life.

The students/hero beats up the Evil Master's army near the end of the film.

Students takes on Evil Master and find out, they are no match for the Evil Master. Shredder was kicking butt in the film.

Near end of battle Teacher comes and saves Students, either by taking out the evil master himself (As Splinter did) or turning the tide of battle in favor of the students.

The fight with the Shredder was a classic of the master coming in and saving the day.

Powder
08-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Yes. Eastman & Laird are huge fans of kung-fu flicks, & in the case of the first film, well, it was made by Golden Harvest, known exclusively for, you guessed it, Kung-fu movies. :)

Ville Leskinen
08-18-2014, 04:50 AM
I too have read that Eastman & Laird were big kung fu movie fans but do we know what movies they really liked or what movies influenced the turtles? :-?

Casey
08-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Yeah. I was gonna mention the Golden Harvest thing. Another reason why they had access to so many great martial artists.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-18-2014, 11:48 AM
THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY POINT! TMNT has always been more 'brue lee martial arts flick' than Ninija shinobi fiction! And yep, Golden Harvest was involved in that flick, and lo and behold we got a bona fide Kung-Fu movie. Sometimes I wonder if they shouldn't have been called 'Teenage Mutant Kung-Fu Turtles' instead.

turtle1237
08-18-2014, 12:20 PM
THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY POINT! TMNT has always been more 'brue lee martial arts flick' than Ninija shinobi fiction! And yep, Golden Harvest was involved in that flick, and lo and behold we got a bona fide Kung-Fu movie. Sometimes I wonder if they shouldn't have been called 'Teenage Mutant Kung-Fu Turtles' instead.

When I first saw the movie, I didn't notice the tropes of kung Fu movies as a kid, I saw Henson's amazing work on the suits and a great story line.

It was really only picking up what 20 Kung Fu movies pack from Walmark and got down to watching em that the first turtles movie had a good part of the Kung Fu tropes.

There is also the training scene of getting better at April's farm after the Foot defeated the Turtles at the apartment, which is of course in most Kung Fu movies. Funny thing even with all that extra training, there still no match vs Shredder.

I do find it funny in the movies of the students training hard, getting better, getting high on there kite ete, and still get own in the final battle vs the movies villain. A good part of the Kung Fu movies do have the teacher coming in to save the day. It didn't hit me until Splinter defeated the Shredder at the end of the first movie after re watching it getting myself hype for the new movie , that yes the Turtles movie has a lot of Kung Fu tropes.

Powder
08-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Wouldn't be nearly as good without them, IMO. To me, aside from the depressing yet thought provoking aspects of the Mirage books, the TMNT work best as Kung Fu movie stuff. Originally, the first film was actually going to even be filmed in Hong Kong! Imagine had it done so, & again for its sequels. With that tone, they probably could have done numerous films on relatively small budgets, while maintaining their edge.