PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia Critic (TMNT 1990)

Tack
08-20-2014, 12:17 AM
I'm sure people know this by now, but Nostalgia Critic did a What You Never Knew about the original TMNT movie today, fun stuff. :tlol:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/44422-wynka-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles

EDIT: There is strong language (at the beginning), so just a heads up. And the actually countdown starts at 1:11 or 1:12, so if you just want to start watching the the list itself.

turtle1237
08-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Love the start when the Bay Turtles were coming up and the critic says no lol.

chrisdude
08-20-2014, 01:35 PM
I didn't not know the fact about Robin Williams, and I never caught on to the reporter names. Good finds.

Jester
08-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Not bad, but he pulls a David Wise by crediting the TV series for the personalities. Mirage had started building the individual Turtles personas, especially the angry loner Raph.

TigerClaw
08-20-2014, 01:59 PM
I know the Nostalgia Critic's whole thing is reviewing movies from your Childhood, and showing how terrible they are.

I just don't see it that way, Once you see something when you were a kid, and you thought it was good, It remains to you good even after many years have past.

Nostalgia can be a good thing, It just shows you how things used to be in the Past, Compare to now.

Jester
08-20-2014, 02:02 PM
So....you didn't watch this video? Or any of the other "Things you didn't notice about ____" videos? How can you judge it if you didn't watch it? :P ;) They are videos pointing out the little missed tidbits, like April, May and June being the named newscasters in the movie.

TigerClaw
08-20-2014, 02:06 PM
So....you didn't watch this video? Or any of the other "Things you didn't notice about ____" videos? How can you judge it if you didn't watch it? :P ;) They are videos pointing out the little missed tidbits, like April, May and June being the named newscasters in the movie.
I watched his other videos before, But all he does is complain about the stuff in the movies.

Jester
08-20-2014, 02:08 PM
The vidoes in this series are homages. Previous installments featured Gremlins, Ghostbusters, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

TigerClaw
08-20-2014, 05:36 PM
My issues with The Nostalgia Critic is that, Hes very cynical about all the movies he reviews. He trashes the movies that you loved. I don't find any enjoyment in that.

Warhorse
08-20-2014, 05:42 PM
My issues with The Nostalgia Critic is that, Hes very cynical about all the movies he reviews. He trashes the movies that you loved. I don't find any enjoyment in that.

Well, he didn't in this one. In fact, he seemed to come across as a diehard fan of the film. He's getting some things mixed up, like his fact about why Raphael is so different from the Fred Wolf cartoon, and how he thinks the Turtles in the comics were all the same until the 80's cartoon got a hold of them, but really, the video is pretty positive. Unfortunately for him, everything he was talking about I already knew.

DarkLightDragon
08-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Yunno, if anything, he kind of changed my views on some of the films I watched as a kid. I remember watching Little Nemo, Fantastic Voyage, the Felix the Cat movie, and Swan Princess and enjoying each one a bit because I loved watching animated films. But now as an adult who has seen better animated films, these four (and possible other ones I didn't mention) do not hold up well at all. So it's not a matter of maliciously attacking "precious nostalgia," but something that makes you think and almost wonder why you liked a particular movie to begin with.

Coola Yagami
08-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Well.... the main thing is, the Critic does watch and criticize childhood movies.

BUT this is a new segment of his when he discuss classic movies and points out little hidden gems and oddities within the movie itself that you might not have noticed.

But yeah, I knew all of this stuff already except for the April, May and June stuff. Plus I knew all 4 turtles were in the movie as the actors without their suits, but I only knew who Mikey was, I never knew who the other three were. I know Mikey was also in the second movie too.

He did get the Mirage comics stuff wrong as Raph was always grump way before the movie. But I can tell from past videos he isn't exactly a Mirage expert and grew up with the Turtles on the 80's cartoon like most of us did.

Bry
08-20-2014, 07:44 PM
The Nostalgia Critic is a character. He's specifically snarky and cynical about old childhood movies because that's the character. That's his "bit".

That said, while I don't always agree with him, looking at nostalgia without the rose-coloured glasses is generally a good thing.

But hey, he's clearly affectionate toward the first TMNT movie, and he loved Turtles Forever (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/16464-turtles-forever-review), so I can't argue with his tastes there. (Even though he's really gotta get his facts straight about how much Mirage established before the classic cartoon - come on, man!)

Jester
08-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Life in the Drome...

Uh... Did anybody other than me learn something new from this video?
Not really learned anything only had a feeling affirmed. I've always thought Mikey's "3 bucks off..." brush off of Donnie was mostly a "I'm not hearing this." than actually not caring. Paired with him crying at the campfire, screaming "SPLINTER!!" (in Raph's voice ;)) on the barn and wanting to run and hug Splinter when he's revealed to be alive during the roof fight with Shredder just seals it.

Leo656
08-20-2014, 09:18 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being cynical. People should analyze and question things. Always, always. Anything else is just willful ignorance. "I can't handle anyone implying that this thing I liked when I was 5 might not be perfect! I can't handle anyone providing factual evidence that a movie or TV show or game or song I like might have a lot of things wrong with it! I don't want to admit that I may have questionable taste! The things I like are perfect! Thus, I am Perfect by association! Anyone who tries to tell me otherwise is just a Big Meanie! If you don't like what I like, I don't want to hear a single word you say!"

There's a lot of that floating around these days. I never even watched this Nostalgia Critic guy, but I for one have absolutely zero problem with anyone challenging my beliefs, opinions, or pointing out flaws in things I enjoy. It gives me something to think and talk about. What's wrong with that? If someone pointing out actual, non-imagined flaws in something you like actually insults you personally, then you're a child.

So, again, there's nothing at all "bad" about being a cynic. Because objectively speaking, most things suck.

Bry
08-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Not really learned anything only had a feeling affirmed. I've always thought Mikey's "3 bucks off..." brush off of Donnie was mostly a "I'm not hearing this." than actually not caring. Paired with him crying at the campfire, screaming "SPLINTER!!" (in Raph's voice ;)) on the barn and wanting to run and hug Splinter when he's revealed to be alive during the roof fight with Shredder just seals it.

I always got that impression, too. And it's actually pretty obvious, if subtle, when you consider it. I really love how that movie left some stuff like this up to interpretation instead of hammering the "point" over the audience's head.

Subtlety... Go figure, huh?

Warhorse
08-20-2014, 09:53 PM
I always got that impression, too. And it's actually pretty obvious, if subtle, when you consider it. I really love how that movie left some stuff like this up to interpretation instead of hammering the "point" over the audience's head.

Subtlety... Go figure, huh?

Yeah, I always thought that was why Mikey was silent since the first day I watched the movie (I would have been about 11/12) Later on that same year, I read the juvenile novelization to the movie, and it was mentioned in there what Mikey was feeling, and how he didn't want to dwell on such negative thoughts.

Bry
08-20-2014, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I always thought that was why Mikey was silent since the first day I watched the movie (I would have been about 11/12) Later on that same year, I read the juvenile novelization to the movie, and it was mentioned in there what Mikey was feeling, and how he didn't want to dwell on such negative thoughts.

It would have been even more pointed if they left in the deleted scene showing how angry and emotional he was during the farm sequence. But at the same time, I like how subtle it is in the final film. It's still pretty obvious if you're analyzing it/paying attention, but pretty natural and understated. Makes his character feel more "real".

Leo656
08-20-2014, 10:02 PM
Maybe I'm weird, but that's always one of my favorite parts in the whole movie. Even without words, and with the limited facial expressions allowed by the head masks, Mikey's silence and then complete no-selling of Donnie's question speaks louder than words. It says a lot about who he is without beating you over the head with it. I love sh*t like that.

That movie has a lot of little moments like that.

Bry
08-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Maybe I'm weird, but that's always one of my favorite parts in the whole movie. Even without words, and with the limited facial expressions allowed by the head masks, Mikey's silence and then complete no-selling of Donnie's question speaks louder than words. It says a lot about who he is without beating you over the head with it. I love sh*t like that.

That movie has a lot of little moments like that.

Mikey and Donnie tend to get less development/focus than Leo and Raph, but that scene alone said a lot about who they were in that movie. It just expected you to pay attention and think a bit. For what's primarily a kids' movie, that's pretty awesome.

snake
08-20-2014, 10:07 PM
I don't like his newer reviews, but I like his stuff on Commercials and these videos. This was pretty cool!

TigerClaw
08-21-2014, 12:00 PM
The Nostalgia Critic is a character. He's specifically snarky and cynical about old childhood movies because that's the character. That's his "bit".

That said, while I don't always agree with him, looking at nostalgia without the rose-coloured glasses is generally a good thing.

But hey, he's clearly affectionate toward the first TMNT movie, and he loved Turtles Forever (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/16464-turtles-forever-review), so I can't argue with his tastes there. (Even though he's really gotta get his facts straight about how much Mirage established before the classic cartoon - come on, man!)
Yeah, The Nostalgia Critic is one of his characters, He also does movie reviews with his other character called the Bum Reviews.
Here is the Bum Review of the new TMNT Movie.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/44326-michael-bays-tmnt

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-21-2014, 02:45 PM
This guy has a serious problem, using two fake personalities to review movies. The guy has no guts to review movies as how he really is, that is pretty sad and pathetic. I don't know if this man has multiple personalities or if he is just a enormous coward and fool.

Leo656
08-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Not really, seems like he's just doing shtick. Lots of people play characters on the internet. Just a way to stand out. "John Doe Reviews Movies" doesn't grab anyone's attention, everyone has a Youtube channel anymore. Gotta have a gimmick. Makes sense to me.

TigerClaw
08-21-2014, 03:15 PM
This guy has a serious problem, using two fake personalities to review movies. The guy has no guts to review movies as how he really is, that is pretty sad and pathetic. I don't know if this man has multiple personalities or if he is just a enormous coward and fool.
His real name is Doug Walker and he did post a review of the new TMNT Movie a while back.

HMksDKklc14

Bry
08-21-2014, 05:55 PM

He's doing it for entertainment value. It's jokes. He's a lot like the Angry Video Game Nerd that way - he's got characters with their own shtick, and he makes some valid points as those characters, but it's not meant to be a straight-forward review. Not always my thing, I think he comes off a bit too obnoxious/loud sometimes, but he's got an audience and he's been doing it a long time. I respect that.

Besides, he's not hiding who he really is. He's putting his face and voice out there, and his real name is available. That takes a lot more guts than people taking shots behind anonymous usernames, doesn't it?

hitmonkey
08-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Decent video, but he should really do his research before trying to pass stuff off as fact. They had their individual personalities before the Fred Wolf series, and this film didn't revolutionize moody Raph. Clearly he's been drinking the David Wise Kool-Aid.

TigerClaw
08-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Decent video, but he should really do his research before trying to pass stuff off as fact. They had their individual personalities before the Fred Wolf series, and this film didn't revolutionize moody Raph. Clearly he's been drinking the David Wise Kool-Aid.
He does mess up sometimes, Hes done a series of videos where he addresses some of his **** ups.

Machias Banshee
08-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Okay... don't understand all the critic hate, but it shouldn't completely hijack a thread.

Let's keep on topic, please...

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Pft, all the critic hate? Truthfully speaking there wasn't a whole lot of it floating in this thread, not even close. If I don't defend myself when posters gang up on me, then who will? No one, seeing as how that is some sin, well then there is a whole lot more cleaning up to do on this website. My posts that were here were precisely tied into this guy until certain people wouldn't let my thoughts be. Had they been left alone there would have been no need to transfer posts and condense this thread.

Coola Yagami
08-21-2014, 11:24 PM

By that definition, someone like Swartzanegger must be downright insane. Who does he think he is? Some robot from the future? Conan? A pregnant man? A spy? A commando? A Governor? A cheesy Batman villain? Truly, this man has issues.

No but seriously, he's an actor, he's doing his thing. Just like everyone else that has their own show, online or on tv.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-21-2014, 11:39 PM
By that definition, someone like Swartzanegger must be downright insane. Who does he think he is? Some robot from the future? Conan? A pregnant man? A spy? A commando? A Governor? A cheesy Batman villain? Truly, this man has issues.

No but seriously, he's an actor, he's doing his thing. Just like everyone else that has their own show, online or on tv.

Arnie is an actual actor and doesn't exactly do what this man doe's and has done.

CowabungaMikey
08-22-2014, 12:55 AM
I love the Nostalgia Critic :D I know most of that :P

Technogeek29
08-22-2014, 01:01 AM
....... Moving on
So the only thing he didn't mentioned that confirms his Mikey theory is the punching bag scene. Although I can't blame him because it's very brief (3 seconds) and I actually knew of the Calender joke lol.:D

THGhost
08-22-2014, 05:28 AM
Wow, it's a good thing the mods listened and cleaned up this mess of a thread. :lol:

Arnie is an actual actor and doesn't exactly do what this man doe's and has done.

Just because someone is not paid for their performance work, does not mean they're not an actor. He's more of an "entertainer" anyway.
And a lot of people would argue that Arnie is also not a real actor, but that's a discussion for another forum. :P

Bry
08-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Just because someone is not paid for their performance work, does not mean they're not an actor. He's more of an "entertainer" anyway.
And a lot of people would argue that Arnie is also not a real actor, but that's a discussion for another forum. :P

Also, I'm pretty sure Walker makes a decent living doing his videos. Last I checked that was his full-time job. Not bad for someone who's not an "actual actor".

ssjup81
08-22-2014, 07:28 AM
The only thing I didn't know was the reporter name thing and the Robin Williams info.

The part with Mikey and Donny, I interpreted it that way when seeing it older; I don't remember my thoughts on it as a kid.

I love how Mikey was. He wanted to avoid thinking about it and his anger which was briefly displayed showed how he was feeling so well...sucks that up until a few years ago, because of the voice, I thought it was Raph shouting Splinter.This guy has a serious problem, using two fake personalities to review movies. The guy has no guts to review movies as how he really is, that is pretty sad and pathetic. I don't know if this man has multiple personalities or if he is just a enormous coward and fool.He reviews newer movies along with his brother as himself all the time.

For instance, even though I don't watch them, he did a Bum review for the recent TMNT movie and the video right underneath it was one of Doug and what he actually thought if it.

I personally enjoy his "I never knew that" series. Loved the Ghostbusters one and the Roger Rabbit one. It's interesting what kinds of things you miss in films.

neatoman
08-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Not bad, but he pulls a David Wise by crediting the TV series for the personalities. Mirage had started building the individual Turtles personas, especially the angry loner Raph.

Yeah that bothered me too.