PDA

View Full Version : would little details have helped the movie?

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-20-2014, 09:00 AM
The turtles design aside (that needs to be fixed period), I was wondering; do you all think adding or changing little details would have helped save thi movies story, or was the overall plot scrap from the beginning? Would small changes to the story or small details have helped the overall film?

For expamle, would Fitchner's character being renamed baxter stockman have helped? Shrdder's lack of apperance could be justified if this were BAXTER'S movie to be the main villian working for shredder, and we knew shredder whould get development in part 2. Or if there had been a hint or mention of the Yoshi/Saki backstory, that could've been expanded upon in part two? Not every setail needs to be crammed into one move- heck, the first turtles movies spred the full details of the origin out over two films! Here they'd just be switching it- handling the ooze first, then doing the ninja rivalry second!

Or would more easter eggs and setups have helped? Would a casey jones Cameo have made things better? Would shredder having two farmiliar punk bodyguards, who stand in the background all the time, and appear in he background in a lot of scenes, have been good setup for bebop and rocksteady? Would calling april's roomate irma instead of taylor, and giving her the familar glasses and hairstyle of Jeanette the chipette, and giving her more scenes have helped? Heck, maybe even a shot of someone reading a tabloid artcle in the subway about 'alien brains from dimension X?'

My point is, would small tweaks here and there, like giving the foot soldiers Katanas and maybe more face covering masks, in addition to thier guns and camo gear, have saved the movie for a lot of people? or is the story so througly trash that nothing is savable? I still think a good movie is buried under there, and I also think YOU CAN'T CRAM EVERY DEATIL OF THE BACKSTORY INTO ONE MOVIE, AND GIVE THEM PROPER DEVELOPMENT!

i'M INTERESTED IN YOUR THOUGHTS. :)

Shark_Blade
08-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Yeah I don't mind Fichtner to actually be Stockman, since he was a white man in OT.

This movie is full of OT influence anyway. :tlove:

I love all your other ideas as well!!

Slade
08-20-2014, 09:14 AM
They should have ran with the IDW origin. April named them. Have Sacks be Stockman instead. If the had to do the ninjutsu book, have it trigger a flashback for Splinter, instead of him saying he doesn't remember anything before the lab. Which could have helped with the fact that for sine reason, Splinter knew who Shredder was.

unlundun
08-20-2014, 09:16 AM
After watching the film a few times and gaining a little bit more acceptance and enjoyment from it, I think a few little points could have made the film better. For example, in the development of splinters use of ninjutsu to keep the unruly turtles in line and out of trouble, I think his need to follow the movements of those who wished to do him and his family harm would have justified their hatred of shredder- for instance, in the "flashback" of their upbringing maybe just say "I needed to understand how I came to be so followed the movements of sacks industries over the following 15 years, and discovered their true goal - the rise of the footclan under the leadership of The shredder, a shadowy leader of an international crime syndicate, as a result I trained myself and my children in the art of Ninjustu so that one day we would attempt to defeat that which lead us to this life"

this would justify Sacks and Shredder as adversaries, although doesn't go far to justify the weird last minute hack job rewrite. A better version of this edit would be to have made Sacks the "demi shredder" - the US branch of the foot, and for him to fail, only for the "true shredder" to raise his head at the end.

In the sequence when sacks explains why he strapped the chemicals to the building, a more believable reason (he was already stupid rich so money should not have been the goal, blind obedience and worship of his sensei should have been the goal" so "the result would be dominion of this city by my master, Oroku Saki." - "sacks" would therefor just be a homage to his father, as anglicised name.

This film has plenty of wonderful moments, but was let down by some poor, poor choices. I myself have no interested in krang or bebop and rocksteady, so i guess this was the only opportunity to get a good origin film without all the sci fi elements. I guess the next film will remove them from the storm drain/footclan/shredder/splinter story, which im sad about.

I imagine johnathan liebesman and William Fichtner are pretty pissed about producer decisions to hamfist an asian shredder into their film. I feel sorry for them, i imagine fichtner shredder was a much better film.

ObiWanFan4life
08-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Maybe have Splinter Hamato Yoshi or a Rat Trained By Hamato Yoshi so that he teaches marital arts to the turtles, instead of him finding a book about it (Seriously, that was a stupid and pointless change ).

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Maybe have Splinter Hamato Yoshi or a Rat Trained By Hamato Yoshi so that he teaches marital arts to the turtles, instead of him finding a book about it (Seriously, that was a stupid and pointless change ).

I still don't wonder if that wasn't just a way to not dredge up an unesscessary plot point for just this movie, the Yoshi/Saki backstory. how would you feel about the 4kids way of handling the ninjistsu issue:

Apirl: "So how did you know martial arts?"

Splinter: "That is a story for another time..."

Would that have satified those who didn't like the book? (for the record, I don't like it etheir)

ObiWanFan4life
08-20-2014, 09:40 AM
I still don't wonder if that wasn't just a way to not dredge up an unesscessary plot point for just this movie, the Yoshi/Saki backstory. how would you feel about the 4kids way of handling the ninjistsu issue:

Apirl: "So how did you know martial arts?"

Splinter: "That is a story for another time..."

Would that have satified those who didn't like the book? (for the record, I don't like it etheir)

Maybe, but they'd have to do it in a way that doesn't come off as the writers being lazy.

IndigoErth
08-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Small details that could have been easily included or done differently would certainly help at least to some degree. One being as been suggested by someone/people on here is to show child April trip and accidentally lose the Turtles and Splinter down the storm grate.

Personally... add a little bit of simple down time for the Turtles that has zero to do with moving the story forward, because otherwise every moment of that film is about moving it forward... making it rushed and almost exhausting. Also, it would not have been hard to simply have Yoshi involved somehow, like, say, as a lab worker who got exposed to the ooze in the lab "accident." (And then it removes the need for a book and the Japanese influence makes sense.. let alone his human-like parenting skills and lifestyle once mutated.) Although it seems like this film team decided that it has to be ingested or injected rather than simply came into contact with...

The Vernon
08-22-2014, 03:56 AM
Anymore details would help out a lot of bad movies that they turn up to be so bad that they're good. I'm not saying this is a bad movie. I liked it so much. So much that I have to put a...

Butt... there was little character development and just a show, butt it was entertaining to whoever was left there sitting with their thumbs trying to pick their noses up their butts. That's my opinion, butt like all opinions, I have an ahole in my butt so wide it can swallow up all the Earth's oceans.

I'm replaying that stupid fart scene in my head and now I just want to violently punch a frog with an apple. Then I'm gonna commit suicide by stabbing my throat with a bananna. No, I'm lying. I'm not going emo just yet.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Michelangelo beating up the foot clan with his nunchakus would have been nice.