PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Turtles Origin was kinda like IDW.

PizzaPower
08-22-2014, 04:17 PM
It sorta kinda was I mean. The origin of the Turtles was poorly told, but it had a IDW origin feel to it. What do you guys think?

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Their origin was fine to me, I mean it wasn't complicated to understand. It's very straight forward.

Slade
08-22-2014, 04:44 PM
I wish they would have changed one line, just one. Where Splinter says he doesn't remember anything before the lab, have him say he is starting to have flashbacks or something.

Leolead
08-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Yeah but I don't read IDW and I don't care for IDW, I want the origin as far away as possible from IDW :oops:

cloud
08-22-2014, 05:11 PM
It sure felt that way by having April knowing the Turtles and Splinter prior to meeting than after the mutation.
I'm just not sure how cellular regeneration can cause mutated turtles and rats. I just feel like the original origin fitted the absurdity of the TMNT better.

CyberCubed
08-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Yeah but I don't read IDW and I don't care for IDW, I want the origin as far away as possible from IDW :oops:

You won't read a good series yet you watched this crap movie.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-22-2014, 08:33 PM
I wish they would have changed one line, just one. Where Splinter says he doesn't remember anything before the lab, have him say he is starting to have flashbacks or something.

Tell me about it! >< All it would've taken was 'how I learned martial arts is a story for another time', or 'reading that book gave me visions of another life, and somehow, I felt as if I already knew those moves by heart..."

Leolead
08-22-2014, 10:08 PM
You won't read a good series yet you watched this crap movie. I have my reasons for disliking IDW :tgrumble:

As for TMNT being a crap movie? that's your opinion dude, I thought it was the best TMNT movie yet. 8)

Slade
08-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Tell me about it! >< All it would've taken was 'how I learned martial arts is a story for another time', or 'reading that book gave me visions of another life, and somehow, I felt as if I already knew those moves by heart..."

Exactly. Instead, he says he has doesn't remember anything before the lab..but when Shredder shows up? He acts like he knows what's up with him? How's that even work?

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 12:25 AM

This! Not a fan of the IDW origin at all. (Or just the reincarnation crap. I hate reincarnations, it's sh!tty storytelling to me.)

Leolead
08-23-2014, 12:43 AM
This! Not a fan of the IDW origin at all. (Or just the reincarnation crap. I hate reincarnations, it's sh!tty storytelling to me.)
Exactly! :thumbsup:

That's why I stick to the Mirage comics.

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Exactly! :thumbsup:

That's why I stick to the Mirage comics.

I hate to do this, but I was never a fan of Splinter always being a rat. I liked the OT and the Nick's versions more, where Yoshi is Splinter. But for overall, I just liked the idea that the Turtles and Splinter were just accidents, no preset destiny, or that they were biologically made warfare weapons, or experiments.

Leolead
08-23-2014, 01:12 AM
I hate to do this, but I was never a fan of Splinter always being a rat. I liked the OT and the Nick's versions more, where Yoshi is Splinter. But for overall, I just liked the idea that the Turtles and Splinter were just accidents, no preset destiny, or that they were biologically made warfare weapons, or experiments.
As much as I like the Mirage comics, you're right. Splinter actually being Hamato yoshi makes a lot more sense, than Splinter training/mimicking Hamato from his cage :lol:

regarding IDW, it's the Turtles I have a problem with, I just hate the idea of the Turtles being humans, ya know.

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 01:18 AM
As much as I like the Mirage comics, you're right. Splinter actually being Hamato yoshi makes a lot more sense, than Splinter training/mimicking Hamato from his cage :lol:

regarding IDW, it's the Turtles I have a problem with, I just hate the idea of the Turtles being humans, ya know.

This. I'd rather them be aliens from another life than humans!:P But, stuff like this is probably why I am not a big comic book reader. When people tell me when watching Thor that Odin's horse is Loki's son, it's kind of hard to grasp and not go WTF?

Hannurdock
08-23-2014, 01:24 AM
Maybe the movie being vague about back story was deliberate? To get the fans all worked up? I like the idea of Splinter having that extra line though, it would have added so much more and got everyone thinking that the book wasn't the only way he learned Ninjutsu.

Candy Kappa
08-23-2014, 01:57 AM
Kinda, sorta maybe. They've only been lab-animals in IDW, so that's the major similarity part. What they where tested on is different, although the Carapace Armor from IDW would be a great way to backhandedly explain why the PD turtles are bullet proof.

No Splintering serum, Baxter is a background character instead of the guy leading the projects. No reincarnation (for now) the turtles are older then IDW turtles, as first issue depicts the turtles 15 months after mutation and not 15 years as the usual stories go.

This. I'd rather them be aliens from another life than humans!:P But, stuff like this is probably why I am not a big comic book reader. When people tell me when watching Thor that Odin's horse is Loki's son, it's kind of hard to grasp and not go WTF?

Well, that's actual bits from the real-life mythology, Loki is Sleipner's Mother, as he was shapeshifted to a Mare at the time, he is also the father of the Fenris Wolf and Jormungand and the Goddess Hel.

But, in real life Loki is not Thor's Brother, or the adoptive som of Odin. That part is all Marvel.

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 02:33 AM
Well, that's actual bits from the real-life mythology, Loki is Sleipner's Mother, as he was shapeshifted to a Mare at the time, he is also the father of the Fenris Wolf and Jormungand and the Goddess Hel.

But, in real life Loki is not Thor's Brother, or the adoptive som of Odin. That part is all Marvel.

And this all comes across as someone who had to be stoned out of their mind to come up with this sh!t. Sorry, somethings I have to close the door on.

tmntpower2k14
08-23-2014, 02:53 AM
Splinter learning ninjitsu from a book is so much less plausible than a normal rat somehow mimicking human movements, and having the intelligence to learn martial arts. All BEFORE the mutation that enhances his physical, and mental capabilities.

:roll:

Leo656
08-23-2014, 03:04 AM
Learning - especially "mastering" - anything that's overtly physical simply by reading a book about it is absolutely, unquestionably, indefensibly, irredeemably stupid.

Whether it's more or less stupid than the whole "rat jumping around in his cage mimicking his owner" thing is a matter of preference; they're both really stupid.

tmntpower2k14
08-23-2014, 03:07 AM
Learning - especially "mastering" - anything that's overtly physical simply by reading a book about it is absolutely, unquestionably, indefensibly, irredeemably stupid.

Whether it's more or less stupid than the whole "rat jumping around in his cage mimicking his owner" thing is a matter of preference; they're both really stupid.
That's my point. Both are absurd. As is the very essence of TMNT. People don't GET the property they claim to be fans of.

Leo656
08-23-2014, 03:10 AM
I think people "get it" just fine. Some of them just prefer it not go out of its way to be as obnoxiously over-the-top as possible at every given opportunity.

tmntpower2k14
08-23-2014, 03:14 AM
I think people "get it" just fine. Some of them just prefer it not go out of its way to be as obnoxiously over-the-top as possible at every given opportunity.

But we established both of those origins for how the turtles actually learn martial arts is stupid, and over the top. The entire premise of TMNT is obnoxiously over the top. So no, I don't think people always "get it" just fine. They'll argue the preference of one stupid, over the top thing over another to death purely based on nostalgia. When in reality, they're both absurd.

Leo656
08-23-2014, 03:17 AM
I'd argue it works best when it's at least semi-grounded, but to each their own. Clearly, "Some of it is stupid, thus the entire point of TMNT is to be as aggressively stupid as possible from every angle" is the prevailing attitude lately. But I personally don't agree with it.

tmntpower2k14
08-23-2014, 03:19 AM
I'd argue it works best when it's at least semi-grounded, but to each their own. Clearly, "Some of it is stupid, thus the entire point of TMNT is to be as aggressively stupid as possible from every angle" is the prevailing attitude lately. But I personally don't agree with it.
I didn't say that either. It's all in execution. But in specific to what I'm comparing. How Splinter learns martial arts in TMNT '90 as opposed to TMNT 2014 is no more or less grounded.

Leo656
08-23-2014, 03:21 AM
I think it only works when Yoshi turns into a rat. I know that's not the popular opinion because it came from the cartoon and not the "source material", but it's the only explanation that even pretends to make any sense.

tmntpower2k14
08-23-2014, 03:24 AM
I think it only works when Yoshi turns into a rat. I know that's not the popular opinion because it came from the cartoon and not the "source material", but it's the only explanation that even pretends to make any sense.
I agree. Even though the 1990 and 2014 use verisimilitude, or a grounded reality, when it comes to how they learn martial arts it comes off as more glaring in it's ridiculousness because of that. But hey, the cartoon added many great things to the mythos. Colored bandanas, distinct personalities, and I agree the superior Yoshi / Splinter / Martial Arts Master origin.

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 03:27 AM
I agree. Even though the 1990 and 2014 use verisimilitude, or a grounded reality, when it comes to how they learn martial arts it comes off as more glaring in it's ridiculousness because of that. But hey, the cartoon added many great things to the mythos. Colored bandanas, distinct personalities, and I agree the superior Yoshi / Splinter / Martial Arts Master origin.

I thought the distinct personalities came from Mirage. In fact, the OT wouldn't even touch the Mirage Raph with a 100 mile pole.

Leo656
08-23-2014, 03:28 AM
You just won 50 points for using my favorite word that starts with the letter V. :lol: Nice job.

Eh, y'know what, you even used it correctly; make it an even 100. :tgrin:

tmntpower2k14
08-23-2014, 03:33 AM
I thought the distinct personalities came from Mirage. In fact, the OT wouldn't even touch the Mirage Raph with a 100 mile pole.
They were there in Mirage, I just happen to think the cartoon made them more distinct, or pop more. The different colored bandanas help accentuate that visually. The way the new movie having the turtles with individual dress sense takes it even further.

Yea the OT didn't touch Mirage period. Too extreme, too gritty, too adult.

Though I will say the first five episodes IMO translate the essence of what the Mirage comics were doing for adults (the satire, the absurdity) but in a much more streamline, kid friendly way.

Andrew NDB
08-23-2014, 04:19 AM
That's my point. Both are absurd. As is the very essence of TMNT. People don't GET the property they claim to be fans of.

We get it just fine. And who ever said that Splinter was a normal rat to begin with? Peter even hinted there was to be a story about that at some point that fell by the wayside.

They were there in Mirage, I just happen to think the cartoon made them more distinct, or pop more. The different colored bandanas help accentuate that visually. The way the new movie having the turtles with individual dress sense takes it even further.

Because nothing screams "ninja clan" like "I need to make a unique fashion statement! I am an individual!" And adopting rainbow colors all around.

Yea the OT didn't touch Mirage period. Too extreme, too gritty, too adult.

If by that you mean it was overly wacky and toy pandery, goofy and slapsticky... yes, Mirage wasn't any of those things. But Mirage wasn't any of the things you describe.

Though I will say the first five episodes IMO translate the essence of what the Mirage comics were doing for adults (the satire, the absurdity) but in a much more streamline, kid friendly way.

Not remotely.

Leo656
08-23-2014, 04:27 AM
And who ever said that Splinter was a normal rat to begin with? Peter even hinted there was to be a story about that at some point that fell by the wayside.

I'unno, man. That's kind of an awfully big leap of faith to make, if only for the reason that maybe five people ever saw/heard/read him allude to that. I mean, if it was something that actually had been followed up on, then sure, maybe, possibly... but to most people it's just one of the more absurd plot devices at play in TMNT. And since it's one of the biggest ones that make people insist the franchise absolutely can't be taken at all seriously, it's not one of my favorites.

Candy Kappa
08-23-2014, 04:49 AM
And this all comes across as someone who had to be stoned out of their mind to come up with this sh!t. Sorry, somethings I have to close the door on.

Religion in a nutshell.

PizzaPower
08-23-2014, 06:21 AM

the hole learning Ninja from a book is what pissed me off, I wish they would do a new TMNT movie that is bold and not afraid to go there. Have it like IDW strting out with Old Hob, or shoot maybe even have Bebop and Rocksteady in movie 2.

Shark_Blade
08-23-2014, 06:33 AM
IDW has better origin, but yeah this one is like a tip of the IDW origin iceberg.

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 09:36 AM
I'unno, man. That's kind of an awfully big leap of faith to make, if only for the reason that maybe five people ever saw/heard/read him allude to that. I mean, if it was something that actually had been followed up on, then sure, maybe, possibly... but to most people it's just one of the more absurd plot devices at play in TMNT. And since it's one of the biggest ones that make people insist the franchise absolutely can't be taken at all seriously, it's not one of my favorites.

Well, I don't know too much about Mirage, and the 1990's movie I would say, it is what it is, but in the 2k3, which Peter Laird had the most control over, I think eluded that Splinter was not a normal rat. With the introduction of The Ancient One, Usagi, The Ninja Tribunal and The Battle Nexus, it seems to me that Splinter was a special rat even before his mutation. All the events he would still take part in, he seemed to have prior knowledge since he was in Japan, and had the intelligence to understand those things. How would The Ancient One know so much about Splinter, if it seems the last time Splinter was in Japan was before he got mutated?

Religion in a nutshell.

Eh, explains why I'm Atheist. George Carlin's view on religion fits my assumptions to a T.

neatoman
08-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Well I would not be surprised if one of the screen writers read the IDW comics for inspiration and decided to go with a version of that origin (without the reincarnation of course).

Apart from the fact that they subsituted reincarnation with a random ninja tutorial book instead of something more substantial, I'm mostly fine with the lab animal version of the origin. The original origin was just meant as a Daredevil riff and the cartoon origin had a bunch of holes in it.

tmntpower2k14
08-26-2014, 07:06 PM
We get it just fine.
Clearly that isn't the case. TMNT is a mix of serious (Laird) and stupid (Eastman).

And who ever said that Splinter was a normal rat to begin with? Peter even hinted there was to be a story about that at some point that fell by the wayside.
Oh because hints, and no follow throughs, or "could've been" stories equate to something being canon? Right. Either way it's ridiculous how Splinter learns martial arts. In Mirage, or otherwise.

Sidenote: I note your mental gymnastics to prove the Mirage absurdity being inherently "more believable" or less corny / ridiculous than any of the other branches of the franchise. And that too is laughable.

Because nothing screams "ninja clan" like "I need to make a unique fashion statement! I am an individual!" And adopting rainbow colors all around.
No, it screams the teenager part of the equation.

:roll:

And the fact they're supposed to be likable. Pure ninja clan is the Foot. Why are red bandanas any less ridiculous than orange, leo, purple? More distinguishing elements between the individual turtles is a good thing in my book. The turtles themselves are green. Their abilities to be ninjas is what makes them stealthy.

If by that you mean it was overly wacky and toy pandery, goofy and slapsticky... yes, Mirage wasn't any of those things.
No, but it was also a cult thing. A concept by dorks aimed at fellow dorks in on the joke of the parody of 80's comic books that was Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Complete with it's own goofiness, slapstick, gags, and fan pandering.

Mirage was certainly goofy in it's own right. Through it's melodrama, visuals, it's very concept it had it's own inherent absurdity and stupidity.

The fact you consider Mirage to be absolutely serious is pretty ridiculous in of itself. Those stories, even with it's griminess had tongue firmly planted in cheek.

In fact one could argue given at times it acted so serious with the type of material they were aping with even more absurdity ... it makes the Mirage stuff even GOOFIER considering the context.

And THAT'S THE POINT of TMNT. The very concept was a parody of Frank Miller Batman, Daredevil, X-Men, and Jack Kirby drawings.

A fun parody, with moments of grittiness or bad ass action, familial themes, but it's all ridiculous: Mirage, 80's cartoon, 90's movies, Next Mutation, the horrendous 2k3 series, Nick Toon, and 2014 film.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Appearently, nothing DOES scream ninja clan like multicolored ninja outfits, just ask the alien rangers/kakurangers, and Hurricangers/Ninja storm! If japan says multicolored outfits equal ninja, that's good enough for me!

Galactus
08-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Clearly that isn't the case. TMNT is a mix of serious (Laird) and stupid (Eastman).

Oh because hints, and no follow throughs, or "could've been" stories equate to something being canon? Right. Either way it's ridiculous how Splinter learns martial arts. In Mirage, or otherwise.

Well both origins are stupid but relatively speaking the movie version is more stupid.

The comic version has the excuse that their origin which largely has held up was made with the belief that it would never be given serious scrutiny whereas the movie version is made with the mindset of trying to be realistic. What makes it particularly bad is it eliminates a very important part of the TMNT story, certainly the most important part of turtles vs Shredder story.

No, it screams the teenager part of the equation.

Does it?

Certainly one of the designers said that the whole garb the turtles wear it to be reflective of their ninja training.

Certainly teenagers don't dress themselves in bamboo armor or loin cloths and the like so I can see what they were trying to do but it failed. It just looked dumb and served no purpose.

And the fact they're supposed to be likable. Pure ninja clan is the Foot. Why are red bandanas any less ridiculous than orange, leo, purple? More distinguishing elements between the individual turtles is a good thing in my book. The turtles themselves are green. Their abilities to be ninjas is what makes them stealthy.

Well that's debatable. I don't know much about the history of martial but I do know it didn't start that ninjas were assassins for hire. Not to mention TMNT has always been more of modern pop cultures version of ninjas and there's a lot of precedence in fiction of ninjas which the audience is supposed to root for like Batman, Daredevil etc.

Also other than like two small instances I don't think the turtles were stealthy in this movie and the Foot were not ninjas.

And THAT'S THE POINT of TMNT. The very concept was a parody of Frank Miller Batman, Daredevil, X-Men, and Jack Kirby drawings.

No it wasn't.

A fun parody, with moments of grittiness or bad ass action, familial themes, but it's all ridiculous: Mirage, 80's cartoon, 90's movies, Next Mutation, the horrendous 2k3 series, Nick Toon, and 2014 film.

No more than most other comic book properties most of which don't face the same kind of problems as TMNT.

chrisdude
08-26-2014, 07:54 PM
There are a lot of things to like or not like about this origin story. But, there's NO WAY that a mutated rat with human intelligence learning ninjutsu from a book is more stupid than an ordinary rat learning ninjutsu by example.

http://i.imgur.com/yWgOlZg.jpg

That's laugh-out-loud stupid, right there.

Galactus
08-26-2014, 08:21 PM
There are a lot of things to like or not like about this origin story. But, there's NO WAY that a mutated rat with human intelligence learning ninjutsu from a book is more stupid than an ordinary rat learning ninjutsu by example.

That's laugh-out-loud stupid, right there.

No one is really denying that but it's excusable in the sense that the people who wrote didn't think their work would be ever put under any serious scrutiny.

The fact that a major motion picture decided to go with something that is at best just as stupid and at worst much more stupid is the real laugh-out-loud thing here. That in a movie which couldn't have the Foot be an organised crime group with ninja traditions because that's unrealistic thought Splinter learning it from a book (how could he read?) was acceptable.

There's any number of ways you could change or tweak the origin to sound more plausible. Some that were rumored may have been more fanboy cool like Splinter having his abilities programmed into him at TCRI would have been better than - he learns it from a book.

I've always thought the answer to this is simple and actually found it interesting that one of Laird's ideas to explain the origin in a more plausible was along the same lines; Splinter as a regular rat did not really learn ninjitsu but later the mutagen awakened the memories of watching Yoshi train for hours.

It's simple, changes nothing and can easily be worked in to usual narration that Splinter gives to describe the origin. It could even be appropriately dramatic given it would also awaken the memory of watching Yoshi's murder. One of the first images in his head when he gains sentience is watching his master die.

But learning from a book? There's little that can be done to redeem that.

Leo656
08-27-2014, 01:49 AM
Anyone at all learning ninjutsu from a book is about as stupid as it gets, mutagen or no. It is impossible to learn anything physical by reading about it. And it also kind of undermines Splinter's authority as a leader or "Master". Why would he be the "sensei"? Because he read the book first? Realistically, by "learning" martial arts the same sh*tty way, all five of them would be at the same sh*tty level of skill, since the only ones they'd be able to practice on would be each other. Splinter wouldn't be any better or more experienced than any of them; they'd all suck equally. But they're all three times his size, so they'd be able to throw him around like a fuzzy football if they wanted to. So, again, based on the stupid concept of anyone learning how to perform martial arts by reading a "...For Dummies" book about it, who the hell put the rat in charge?

Y'know, part of me always wanted to try MMA. Think I'll go down to the library, check out a couple books, spend a weekend becoming a "Master", then go kick Brock Lesnar's ass. Should be fine, I'm pretty sure I read faster than he does.

That whole thing f***cking sucks.

Donaterro
08-27-2014, 09:42 AM
The changes in the IDW comic are pretty much all for the better. The reincarnation of all the turtles and splinter, who was hamato yoshi, and the long running family feud between them and shredder is only amplified by this change in the story. Plus it explains how ninjitsu is natural for all of them, and amplifies Raph's anger and feeling as an outsider even within his own family.

The movie took all the stupid parts, and just ran with it. There isn't even a real Japanese connection for Splinter, except a book he found, and that influences everyone to adopt so many Japanese traditions? nah...

such a bad movie.

(at least the comics are great)

THGhost
08-27-2014, 03:59 PM
How anyone can dislike IDW or the Mirage comics is beyond me. :lol:

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-27-2014, 08:07 PM
^People have their reasons, if not just one for not wanting to give some time to them. Why is that so hard to grasp? :roll:

Leo656
08-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Mirage to me is just a little boring. It feels like it holds itself back a little bit on purpose, almost out of fear of becoming as "goofy/ridiculous" as the other media. Like they have this entire stable of fantastical characters, and they make it a point to tell the most straightforward, mundane stories half the time. And then sometimes they go too far the other way, until April is a magic pencil sketch and the guys are playing sidekicks to a D-Grade Justice League.

Then there's the inconsistency during the guest creator phase, where the books had no consistent tone; a lot of the individual issues by themselves were just fine, but when you're used to and expecting more serialized, plot-focused content, reading a glut of one-shot, non-canon, pseudo-satirical issues in a row can be a real drag. Nothing against those issues, but every time I read through the series in order, I couldn't wait for the fill-in stuff to be over with so the book could get back to the damn story already. I mean, if all you care about is the "canon", the entire Mirage Vol. 1 could have probably been wrapped up in 25 issues or so, so the series feels kind of meandering and bloated.

Vol. 2 wasn't bad, but even that took a while to get going and then just sort of ended. It felt like a firecracker that only half went off. A little noise, a few sparks, it kind of got the job done but not in a completely satisfying way. It moved the story forward, but wasn't entirely memorable on its own.

And I just hate Vol. 4. I mean, not literally all of it, but overall it's the TMNT book I'm least likely to grab and read. Just way too many "I'm never going to resolve this, I just feel like being self-indulgent" dangling plot threads. And it just drags on forever. Having Splinter die and the guys all go their own way is a really intriguing premise, and they went at it in the single most boring way possible. It felt like it would have worked better as a series of solo-mini-series that eventually tied back to the main book to complete the story; it didn't feel like the main book, itself. It is by far the most flat-out boring version of TMNT I've ever seen, and it's a shame, because the first couple issues felt right, then it just went flat. And they tapped some neat ideas, I just strongly feel those ideas would have been better explored elsewhere.

Conversely, the second volume "Tales of the TMNT" Mirage book is one of the very best versions of TMNT, and it did a much better job at being the kind of TMNT book you should expect. It did a great job of filling in all the holes in Mirage canon and was fairly accessible to old and new Mirage fans. Plus, the art was, on the whole, a lot more eye-pleasing to casual readers. In almost every way, I feel Tales Vol. 2 is what Vol. 4 should have been. It's my favorite part of the entire Mirage series, pretty much. It's got kind of a "Legends of the Dark Knight" vibe to it.

So, there's my two cents on Mirage. I like the very few issues of IDW I've read, but haven't read enough to have an opinion.

Commenter 42
08-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Anyone at all learning ninjutsu from a book is about as stupid as it gets, mutagen or no. It is impossible to learn anything physical by reading about it. And it also kind of undermines Splinter's authority as a leader or "Master". Why would he be the "sensei"? Because he read the book first? Realistically, by "learning" martial arts the same sh*tty way, all five of them would be at the same sh*tty level of skill, since the only ones they'd be able to practice on would be each other. Splinter wouldn't be any better or more experienced than any of them; they'd all suck equally. But they're all three times his size, so they'd be able to throw him around like a fuzzy football if they wanted to. So, again, based on the stupid concept of anyone learning how to perform martial arts by reading a "...For Dummies" book about it, who the hell put the rat in charge?

Y'know, part of me always wanted to try MMA. Think I'll go down to the library, check out a couple books, spend a weekend becoming a "Master", then go kick Brock Lesnar's ass. Should be fine, I'm pretty sure I read faster than he does.

MMA?

Dude, I'm reading this book on how to be a millionaire ( it's from the 70's...you know, when billionaires hadn't been invented)
It says if I just follow these five easy steps, and buy a whole bunch of cleaning supplies, then sell it to my friends, and they also sell it to their friends, and so on, I can be a millionaire by next Friday.

Point is, I need you to buy some laundry soap.

...please...

Pretty please.

jestermon
08-28-2014, 07:12 AM

I guess you have read a how to book then obviously.

It's also great how everyone agrees the version they like is stupid but it's not as stupid as the stupid one you like pure genius.

Panda_Kahn_fan
08-28-2014, 07:43 AM
And I still think that Splinter isn't telling the whole story. I think the Yoshi Saki backstory will be in movie two.

Look guys, When have they EVER in ANY version, told the whole orgin in one Episode/Comic/Movie? Mirage told the yoshi backstory/mutation part in the first issue, but where the ooze came from was revealed later. The original movies and 4kids cartoons did the same thing, the ooze's origins coming only later. Here, the source of the mutationa and the ooze was told in a self-contained way that you can just watch this movie and get a COMPLETE story. Other details, like Yoshi, can come later. Like the director said, they didnt want to cram all the details into one movie.

THGhost
08-28-2014, 09:30 AM
^People have their reasons, if not just one for not wanting to give some time to them. Why is that so hard to grasp? :roll:

But without stating that reason? That's just not rational, under any circumstance.

Donaterro
08-28-2014, 10:25 AM
But without stating that reason? That's just not rational, under any circumstance.

All ideas should be open to debate/criticism, if you can't defend your own opinions then ...

Donaterro
08-28-2014, 10:27 AM
So, there's my two cents on Mirage. I like the very few issues of IDW I've read, but haven't read enough to have an opinion.

I started to like the original Mirage run the more I read it, I didn't like the issues that I already knew from the 2k3 series episodes ie. Jack Kirby's issue, and the time scepter teenage girl. But when it gets to RETURN TO NEW YORK, stuff gets real.

Read all the IDW comics, I suggest grabbing the 4 issue books on amazon. I'm surprised at how good it is, taking certain elements (usually the best) from all the versions of TMNT really.

THGhost
08-28-2014, 12:17 PM
All ideas should be open to debate/criticism, if you can't defend your own opinions then ...

Precisely.