PDA

View Full Version : The Problem With Turtle's Size

Leolead
08-22-2014, 05:27 PM
You guys should know by now, I'm a fan of this movie, but that doesn't mean I don't have problems with the movie, my main gripe with these Turtles designs is... they're too damn big! they're like seven to six feet!

And they're too strong, they barely do any martial arts, because all they have to do throw their enemies/Foot! they literally throw them around! the foot present 0% threat to these Turtles!

So... How are Bebop and Rocksteady suppose to fight them??? they're going to have to be at least 9 or 11 ft, to even be a legimate threat to these Turtles... so yeah

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-22-2014, 05:38 PM
They don't have to be big to kick butt. Take splinter for example, sure, he maybe small and scrawny but he did some beating up of his own in the movie. When it comes to fighting it doesn't always matter what size one is.

beeshaw
08-22-2014, 05:44 PM
I don't mind their size.... but if given a choice, I would prefer if they were just a tad smaller. So I voted 'No'.

IndigoErth
08-22-2014, 05:46 PM
So... How are Bebop and Rocksteady suppose to fight the m??? they're going to have to be at least 9 or 11 ft, to even be a legimate threat to these Turtles... so yeah
o.O Yeah, prob right. Maybe they'll be about the same size, but... even stronger? Or simply not made out to be much of a threat...

Agree the strength could have been cut back on and rely more on the skills. I don't mind their size really, but since that's what they went with I still feel it would be better suited to have had them considered adults.

chrisdude
08-22-2014, 05:47 PM
I dunno. Their strength in this movie is right on par with OT. Their size is cosmetic. Probably just the filmmakers' way of making the turtles' strength believable to the eye.

Slade
08-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Yeah, they're too big. They're like ogre's.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Hello there again hyperbole.

ObiWanFan4life
08-22-2014, 07:43 PM
It bothersome because these things are supposed to resemble turtles, not the bastard children Yoda and the Hulk.

Slade
08-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Hello there again hyperbole.

And what exactly are you getting at?

TerranigmaFreak
08-22-2014, 07:46 PM
I don't mind their size.... but if given a choice, I would prefer if they were just a tad smaller. So I voted 'No'.

That's exactly how I feel too.

Purse Grabbin Puke
08-22-2014, 08:07 PM
I prefer them to be small. You said them being so big and strong presents no danger, yet they were in a fair amount of danger and got their asses kicked through out the movie.

Xiewin
08-22-2014, 08:08 PM
I love their size.

Powder
08-22-2014, 08:08 PM
I dunno. Their strength in this movie is right on par with OT.

When did they ever throw shipping crates & break through armored vehicles like cellophane?

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-22-2014, 08:23 PM
And what exactly are you getting at?

You said that they are like ogres.

chrisdude
08-22-2014, 08:24 PM
When did they ever throw shipping crates & break through armored vehicles like cellophane?I was just watching season 1 today. The turtles pushed over a concrete wall, Mikey was tearing apart giant robots with nunchucks. Their first fight had them tossing goons around like ragdolls.

Also, Bebop threw a car.

Bry
08-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Bit of an oldie by this point, but what the hell:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/SalemCrow/bay-shrek-tmnt.jpg

The Boston Ninja Turtle
08-22-2014, 08:34 PM
if and when Bebop and Rocksteady show up, they will have to be at least be almost 10 feet tall to pose any threat...shredder had to be a transformer to give them some sort of threat

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-22-2014, 08:42 PM
if and when Bebop and Rocksteady show up, they will have to be at least be almost 10 feet tall to pose any threat...shredder had to be a transformer to give them some sort of threat

Wrong. Wrong. I don't think you can tell the difference between one of bay's transformers and 2014 movie shredder, it's evident. You haven't learned that someone doesn't have to be big to be malicious.

Slade
08-22-2014, 08:48 PM
You said that they are like ogres.

And? They look like shrek....who is an ogre.....

Wrong. Wrong. I don't think you can tell the difference between one of bay's transformers and 2014 movie shredder, it's evident. You haven't learned that someone doesn't have to be big to be malicious.

That's your hyperbole

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-22-2014, 08:53 PM
And? They look like shrek....who is an ogre.....

That's your hyperbole

The fact that you think that the turtles look just like shrek is colossally idiotic. If they looked like him to a t then everyone who saw the movie would have said the same thing and would be saying the same thing.

Bry
08-22-2014, 08:55 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/999835_10152299221409054_1031330321_n.jpg

I mean... c'mon. There's some serious similarity in that head.

RaphaelinSTL
08-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Oh come on. I think denying any Shrek appearance is more idiotic. It's not as blatant as some would think, but a comparison can certainly be made.

That's just the asinine design direction they decided to choose. I was settled into the look before seeing the film but the more still pictures you see of them, the worse they do appear. At least to me anyway.

One credit I will give the film though is that there is so much other bad stuff going on within the film that the designs are the least of the film's problem as the movie goes on.

Well...that's kind of a backhanded compliment, but still.

Slade
08-22-2014, 09:20 PM
The fact that you think that the turtles look just like shrek is colossally idiotic. If they looked like him to a t then everyone who saw the movie would have said the same thing and would be saying the same thing.

Haha wow. Yeah buddy. It's colossally idiotic that I said they look like Shrek...

They f***in' do. It's been said here a million times they look like Shrek and Hulk had a f***in' kid.

Powder
08-22-2014, 09:41 PM
I was just watching season 1 today. The turtles pushed over a concrete wall, Mikey was tearing apart giant robots with nunchucks. Their first fight had them tossing goons around like ragdolls.

Also, Bebop threw a car.

The wall isn't much, the 'bots were seemingly made of aluminum or some equally flimsy crap (Plus, don't you know how many pounds of pressure are in the full swing of a nunchuck? They are considered a lethal weapon.), goon tossing has been done by Jackie Chan, I don't see why it would seem 'extreme' for a mutant turtle. Bebop & Rocksteady's strength is a bit over the top then, I'll give you that, but they were made that way purposefully, mutated by the same ooze but in a controlled environment.

sdp
08-22-2014, 09:51 PM
The size of the turtles works for what they were going for. Shredder however even with the bigger turtles still looked pretty ridiculous.

Leolead
08-22-2014, 09:56 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/999835_10152299221409054_1031330321_n.jpg

I mean... c'mon. There's some serious similarity in that head.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chrisdude
08-22-2014, 10:29 PM
The wall isn't much, the 'bots were seemingly made of aluminum or some equally flimsy crap (Plus, don't you know how many pounds of pressure are in the full swing of a nunchuck? They are considered a lethal weapon.), goon tossing has been done by Jackie Chan, I don't see why it would seem 'extreme' for a mutant turtle. Bebop & Rocksteady's strength is a bit over the top then, I'll give you that, but they were made that way purposefully, mutated by the same ooze but in a controlled environment.Pushing over a concrete wall isn't much? Krang's robots were made out of cheap metal? Are you trolling me? The OT turtles show superhuman strength all the time.

And I bring up the goon tossing because it's something everyone complains about. That throw into the subway car, or hitting Karai in to the wall. That kind of stuff is perfectly in line with OT action. And if anyone disagrees, I'd recommend watching the show again...

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-22-2014, 10:30 PM
The turtles shared things in common with shrek visually long before the new tmnt movie was assembled.

Jester
08-22-2014, 10:32 PM
The turtles shared things in common with shrek visually long before the new tmnt movie was assembled.
You mean the color green?

Slade
08-22-2014, 10:37 PM

Must be.

They looked nothing like Shrek until this movie.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-22-2014, 10:38 PM

Not just that. But a big mouth, irises, pupils, sclera, tongue, teeth, and similar face shape.

IndigoErth
08-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Just realized that if they put Venus in this she'll come out looking like Fiona.

(Then again, it's Hollywood and entertainment media, it might actually be a plus if they did rather than aim for cover model looks.)

Xiewin
08-22-2014, 10:41 PM
The only one who closely resembles Shrek is Mikey, everyone else (especially Leo) looks nothing like him.

Slade
08-22-2014, 10:45 PM
The only one who closely resembles Shrek is Mikey, everyone else (especially Leo) looks nothing like him.

Mike looks the most like Shrek

They all have big noses, a messed up grill, and weird lips.

tmntpower2k14
08-22-2014, 11:04 PM
I think it fits for a modern, new, re-vision take on the turtles. People need to get over their rigid vision of these characters and how they "should be".

They're mutants, why wouldn't they be huge? Why is them tapping out size wise just around 5'5 acceptable but 6'2 - 6'8 is not accurate to the essence of the characters?

The size change is applicable, especially for this superhero movie era. Like the director said, the increased size and strength amplifies their martial arts action. It makes them bad ass.

I was in awe when I saw how powerful they were in the subway sequence. Leo throwing that Foot through the on coming train. Raphael kicking a foot ridiculously hard into the subway walls. As Liebsman said, that increase in size brings them back to the brutality of the Mirage source material.

Sidenote without that size, and strength we wouldn't have got what is essentially the most amazing action scene in the franchise, and arguably the most kinetic exciting / original action sequence I've seen in many years.

Slade
08-22-2014, 11:35 PM
The turtles aren't super heroes. The size did not amplify their martial arts. They weren't even that brutal. Why wouldn't they be huge? Why would they?

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 12:31 AM
I think all of the Turtles except for Donny were a bit too big, and Raph way too big. I don't remember him doing anything Ninja in this movie. He probably couldn't, he's too cumbersome for it.

Leo656
08-23-2014, 12:43 AM
It's weird, in my head I always pictured the Turtles being bigger than they've been historically portrayed, and I even think I wrote Leo as about 6'4 in one of my old fics, but seeing them the way the movie portrays them, they're just too big. I think it's more to do with their bulk than their height, though. A lot of guys I work with are pretty "big" but still have a streamlined physique. I think if they weren't so "thick" they'd look better.

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 12:56 AM
It's weird, in my head I always pictured the Turtles being bigger than they've been historically portrayed, and I even think I wrote Leo as about 6'4 in one of my old fics, but seeing them the way the movie portrays them, they're just too big. I think it's more to do with their bulk than their height, though. A lot of guys I work with are pretty "big" but still have a streamlined physique. I think if they weren't so "thick" they'd look better.

I don't mind the heights! I myself prefer taller Turtles. Like you said, it's the bulkiness of them. Donny is the only one that I thought was alright.

Leolead
08-23-2014, 01:03 AM
One thing I really think is kinda.. weird, is how far up their Shells are placed on their backs, Leo, Mikey and Donny's aren't that bad, but Raph almost looks like he's wearing a Backpack, I hope they tone down Raph's muscularity a little bit for the sequel.

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 01:15 AM
One thing I really think is kinda.. weird, is how far up their Shells are placed on their backs, Leo, Mikey and Donny's aren't that bad, but Raph almost looks like he's wearing a Backpack, I hope they tone down Raph's muscularity a little bit for the sequel.

Yeah, I think I know why they wear clothes now, they made the shells so high, they had nothing covering the netheregions. It's just another piss poor decision in this movie with a long list of piss poor decisions. It's amazing how a studio can take something so simple, already pasted in detail and handed over on a silver platter, and **** it up so much just for the sake of being different.

Hannurdock
08-23-2014, 01:18 AM
I love the turtles heights. When writing fic, I love the idea that they are taller. I just expected them to be leaner in the movie. However, for their extreme bulk, they seem to have no trouble darting around the city. Impressive.

tmntpower2k14
08-23-2014, 02:27 AM
The turtles aren't super heroes.
TMNT has through out history morphed their way into becoming apart of the superhero genre. Even if the original conception was a facetious riff on the genre.

Vigilante heroes, same difference. Mutant humanoid turtles. Only in this one they're genetically created and become huge, super strong, and bullet proof.

It's not as blasphemous as it's made to sound.

The size did not amplify their martial arts.
Sure it did. They hit harder, jumped further, had more agility / kinetic movement to them than in any of the previous visions.

They weren't even that brutal.
Really? Leo throws a Foot Soldier through the window of an oncoming train ... Raph kicked someone so hard they flew viciously into the wall of the subway cracking the tile. Leo throws his katana into the Shredder.

"You see the way that guy's jaw hit the concrete? He'll be drinking out a sippee cup. This is our city."

Why wouldn't they be huge? Why would they?
Exactly. Both visions can work.

Lou 500
08-23-2014, 03:20 AM
I prefer them being shorter than most people at 5ft. It adds to the peculiarity of their appearence and deceives opponents with their lack of intimidation.

Radical Raph
08-23-2014, 05:39 AM
They don't even need martial arts.

Shark_Blade
08-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Big is beautiful.

Slade
08-23-2014, 07:31 AM
Oh boy...

Not in the mood to debate this all day.

Bry
08-23-2014, 07:43 AM
Yeah, I think I know why they wear clothes now, they made the shells so high, they had nothing covering the netheregions. It's just another piss poor decision in this movie with a long list of piss poor decisions. It's amazing how a studio can take something so simple, already pasted in detail and handed over on a silver platter, and **** it up so much just for the sake of being different.

And their plastrons are basically painted-on abs and pecs now. They just "humanized" them too much across the board.

Tazi
08-23-2014, 07:44 AM
So, is this thread is obviously not about turtle penis jokes, or what?

RaphaelinSTL
08-23-2014, 08:46 AM
They don't even need martial arts.

The title should've been called Teenage Mutant Bullet-Proof Turtles.

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 09:28 AM
So, is this thread is obviously not about turtle penis jokes, or what?

Not yet. Do you want it to be? OK, who do you think is the biggest? There is a rumor the one with the longest nose is the one with the longest/biggest dong.

Tazi
08-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Turtles in other incernations have no noses. Does that mean the 2014 movie turtles have the biggest pennies? :teek:

Refractive Reflections
08-23-2014, 09:37 AM
I was just watching season 1 today. The turtles pushed over a concrete wall, Mikey was tearing apart giant robots with nunchucks. Their first fight had them tossing goons around like ragdolls.

Also, Bebop threw a car.

The wall isn't much, the 'bots were seemingly made of aluminum or some equally flimsy crap (Plus, don't you know how many pounds of pressure are in the full swing of a nunchuck? They are considered a lethal weapon.), goon tossing has been done by Jackie Chan, I don't see why it would seem 'extreme' for a mutant turtle. Bebop & Rocksteady's strength is a bit over the top then, I'll give you that, but they were made that way purposefully, mutated by the same ooze but in a controlled environment.

Pushing over a concrete wall isn't much? Krang's robots were made out of cheap metal? Are you trolling me? The OT turtles show superhuman strength all the time.

And I bring up the goon tossing because it's something everyone complains about. That throw into the subway car, or hitting Karai in to the wall. That kind of stuff is perfectly in line with OT action. And if anyone disagrees, I'd recommend watching the show again...

The OT Turtles had above human strength (of an extreme bodybuilder), but they definitely had no Hulk or Superman strength. The concrete wall was on top of the ceiling of a dilapidated, rundown building, so who knows what kind of run down condition it was, in addition, it took all four of them struggling to first loosen or crack the wall rather than easily tumbling it over like a domino.

As for the metal of the Foot Soldiers, who knows how dense the metal may be. :ohwell: With Bobop and Rocksteady, they were always meant to be conveyed as dumb, absurdly strong brutes anyways, so I doubt anyone would contest that point.

I haven't seen the movie, but the clip where 2014 Raphael can tip over a Humvee in the mountain scene wants to display that these Turtles are freakishly super strong or massive. The force is enough to make military-grade vehicles get knocked over when IEDs typically do that.

If anything, the episode "Leonardo Cuts Loose" (Season 5) reveals they are not Hulkish in strength though, or at the very least, they can't solve their tasks by trying to increase their brute strength alone.

Warhorse
08-23-2014, 09:50 AM
The OT Turtles had above human strength (of an extreme bodybuilder), but they definitely had no Hulk or Superman strength. The concrete wall was on top of the ceiling of a dilapidated, rundown building, so who knows what kind of run down condition it was, in addition, it took all four of them struggling to first loosen or crack the wall rather than easily tumbling it over like a domino.

As for the metal of the Foot Soldiers, who knows how dense the metal may be. :ohwell: With Bobop and Rocksteady, they were always meant to be conveyed as dumb, absurdly strong brutes anyways, so I doubt anyone would contest that point.

I haven't seen the movie, but the clip where 2014 Raphael can tip over a Humvee in the mountain scene wants to display that these Turtles are freakishly super strong or massive. The force is enough to make military-grade vehicles get knocked over when IEDs typically do that.

If anything, the episode "Leonardo Cuts Loose" (Season 5) reveals they are not Hulkish in strength though, or at the very least, they can't solve their tasks by trying to increase their brute strength alone.

I dunno, old toon TMNT, I remember episodes where they actually pushed April's van up several flights of stairs. That is no easy feat by no means. Later on, I seen an ep where Raphael was literally spinning either Bebop or Rocksteady single handed above his head like a top, before just tossing him away like he was a piece of paper. Donny was able to easily survive being crushed between a car and a wall. He walked away with just a couple of scratches on his shell. Another episode, instead of using his Ninjitsu, Raph needed Shredder out of the way, so he just picked up the dude and flung him like a rag doll.

chrisdude
08-23-2014, 10:43 AM
I said "superhuman." As in, above human. I didn't reference two of the most powerful beings in comic books...

And also I was taking about the massive killer robots in the technodrome, not the Foot Soldiers.

slingtheory
08-23-2014, 01:21 PM
TMNT has through out history morphed their way into becoming apart of the superhero genre. Even if the original conception was a facetious riff on the genre.

Vigilante heroes, same difference. Mutant humanoid turtles. Only in this one they're genetically created and become huge, super strong, and bullet proof.

It's not as blasphemous as it's made to sound. no they haven't. The only place they've ever been dipicted as super heros is in the ot where they operated in public had branded vehicles and were known by the public at large. Everywhere else they've been ninja vigilantes. Most of the time just stumbling into bad situations and decidind to help out rather than going out with intentions to stop criminals.

Sure it did. They hit harder, jumped further, had more agility / kinetic movement to them than in any of the previous visions.

Really? Leo throws a Foot Soldier through the window of an oncoming train ... Raph kicked someone so hard they flew viciously into the wall of the subway cracking the tile. Leo throws his katana into the Shredder.

"You see the way that guy's jaw hit the concrete? He'll be drinking out a sippee cup. This is our city."

Exactly. Both visions can work. and it amounted to nothing except a lot of superficial displays of "badass" physical strenght that added nothing to the concept. Who wants to watch a hero barrel through their opposition with no difficulty. No danger of defeat. It like watching someone play a videogame on easy. Boring. The movie itself made it more the obvious super hero shenanigans do not fit the turtles or their world. This version of the foot was a joke against them and the shredder had to be made a mech to compete. I don't know maybe its just me but id take a well choreographed fight scece over guys getting thrown really far anyday. And when I do want to see that stuff there are plenty of characters I can turn to who are already known for it

PizzaPower1985
08-23-2014, 01:26 PM
i dunno. Their strength in this movie is right on par with ot. Their size is cosmetic. Probably just the filmmakers' way of making the turtles' strength believable to the eye.

pefect post!

As far as size, and I know this issue has been beaten to death, 6 feet (what they are in this new film) is the maximum size the TMNT should EVER be. Ideally they would be around 5 feet tall, but if they go over 6 feet, it is a deal breaker. 4 feet is too short. 4 and 3/4 feet is acceptable.

6 feet is more than fine. Not perfect, but pretty good. Look at things other than the 1987 show.

Leolead
08-23-2014, 01:43 PM
What about the scene in the final battle where they're lifting/holding up the tower? I felt that was way over the top.

IndigoErth
08-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Yeah... the tower kinda feels more like, it's just not quite falling yet and you guys are trying but not doing all that much for it really. Given the size and wight of that sort of thing, it's hard to assume/accept they could really do much there beyond wishful thinking and trying their hardest. But that's an ok point to assume, to me.

TMNT is cooler than MOTU
08-23-2014, 03:05 PM
I think I'd be more accepting of the designs if the turtles were shorter and leaner.

slingtheory
08-23-2014, 03:16 PM
What about the scene in the final battle where they're lifting/holding up the tower? I felt that was way over the top. I thought the over the top part was when they fell to the street holding the thing and landed on their feet. And raph was able to give a speech during all that without noticing they'd hit the ground. And then they managed to put it down and make it into the sewers without anyone noticing.

shuriken
08-23-2014, 03:16 PM
^^ Pretty much this.
Although they were agile and worked under the cover of darkness they were by no means ninja esque. Whe you're bullet proof, super strong and huge why bother with any sort of finesse?
The Foot had no chance. At least in earlier films, the TMNT HAD to rely on superior skill to defeat foes as opposed to superior strength.

Slade
08-23-2014, 04:16 PM
^^ Pretty much this.
Although they were agile and worked under the cover of darkness they were by no means ninja esque. Whe you're bullet proof, super strong and huge why bother with any sort of finesse?
The Foot had no chance. At least in earlier films, the TMNT HAD to rely on superior skill to defeat foes as opposed to superior strength.

Bravo! Encore!! Encore!!

The Boston Ninja Turtle
08-23-2014, 04:32 PM

you completely missed every point i was making..please try again

Refractive Reflections
08-29-2014, 03:55 PM
I said "superhuman." As in, above human. I didn't reference two of the most powerful beings in comic books...

And also I was taking about the massive killer robots in the technodrome, not the Foot Soldiers.

Well your posts seem to imply that the OT Turtles were stronger than extreme bodybuilders (might as well be Superman or the Hulk), due to this post:

I dunno. Their strength in this movie is right on par with OT. Their size is cosmetic. Probably just the filmmakers' way of making the turtles' strength believable to the eye.

But anyways, when a trailer shows that these 2014 Turtles can knock over a military Humvee, which is designed for mechanized and explosive warfare; that's a far bigger and ostentatious statement than being able to lift and throw people around.

samxsteal
08-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Well your posts seem to imply that the OT Turtles were stronger than extreme bodybuilders (might as well be Superman or the Hulk), due to this post:

But anyways, when a trailer shows that these 2014 Turtles can knock over a military Humvee, which is designed for mechanized and explosive warfare; that's a far bigger and ostentatious statement than being able to lift and throw people around.
This was not an armored Humvee as stated by military personnel.

Refractive Reflections
08-29-2014, 05:24 PM
This was not an armored Humvee as stated by military personnel.

Since I didn't see the movie, what was it exactly then (when Don swings Raph into the Humvee)? :-? Fooled me then. :lol:

...So was it just not armored then (a light utility vehicle rather than a light armored car)? ...Still though that's quite an impact to knock over an unarmored Humvee for any bipedal humanoid life form to make on it. :ohwell:

NinjaPug
08-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Does it really matter if the humvee was armored or not? The whole thing was ridiculous either way.

IndigoErth
08-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Not to mention I believe it is before that piece that he mentions his shell is cracked. Surprised he didn't just shatter the whole damn thing off his back upon impact.

Jester
08-29-2014, 05:37 PM
What makes it worse in the movie is the Hummer goes flying backwards after the fact. The trailers at least stop on impact.

Refractive Reflections
08-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Does it really matter if the humvee was armored or not? The whole thing was ridiculous either way.

Not to mention I believe it is before that piece that he mentions his shell is cracked. Surprised he didn't just shatter the whole damn thing off his back upon impact.

What makes it worse in the movie is the Hummer goes flying backwards after the fact. The trailers at least stop on impact.

...I guess nothing more needs to be asked then.

...:lol:

(Thank you for the replies. :P)

hitmonkey
08-30-2014, 03:25 AM
Really not a fan of their size. They're so big that it pretty much eliminates the need for weapons and/or martial arts when fighting the Foot Clan. Why waste time on fancy blades and kicks when you can just throw a goddamn shipping container at someone?

Candy Kappa
08-30-2014, 03:29 AM
The shipping container scene was hilarious, the movie completely lost at that point, jeez. Those things are not made out of cardboard...

Jester
08-30-2014, 03:38 AM
The shipping container scene was hilarious, the movie completely lost at that point, jeez. Those things are not made out of cardboard...
Indeed, even empty they weigh close to 2.5 tons...and that's the smallest sized ones.

IndigoErth
08-30-2014, 11:35 AM
- Splinter works hard training Turtles many years so they can protect themselves
- Turtles grow far bigger and stronger than expected, martial arts unnecessary
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/216x146/49/e8/5b/49e85b1ad9bb57b7257975914176710c.jpg

RaphaelinSTL
08-30-2014, 11:40 AM
- Splinter works hard training Turtles many years so they can protect themselves
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/216x146/49/e8/5b/49e85b1ad9bb57b7257975914176710c.jpg

LOLOLOLOL.

Exactly. Just one of the many confusing and unnecessary things about this movie.

Kilowog
08-30-2014, 12:24 PM
I wonder.

If Raphael was Mikey's size in the movie and everything else scaled down with him. I... I think I'd be more ok with that more?

Powder
08-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Meh again this movie had a lot of issues but the lack of blood wasn't really one of them to me?

If Raphael was Mikey's size in the movie and everything else scaled down with him. I... I think I'd be more ok with that more?

You seem so unsure of everything. :lol:

Kilowog
08-30-2014, 05:59 PM

Ha ha, i did wholeheartedly love the IDEA of Shredder being so powerful that the turtles' strength advantage was straight up gone (Shredder was pushing Raph like he was a stack of empty milk crates when it was apparent that Raph was giving it his all)

You seem so unsure of everything. :lol:ha
Combination of apathy/finding it difficult to get worked over the movie (I'd personally give it a c-) also having only seen it once and not wanting to make definite statements about things i might be misremembering :lol:

Warhorse
08-30-2014, 10:55 PM
I wonder.

^This. Raph Mikey's size and the others more or less, about Donnie's size, and I think it would have been less jarring.

jenna
08-31-2014, 07:15 AM
Ninja turtles is inherently an ironic concept due to the fact that ninjas are swift, agile and stealthy - not traits generally associated with turtles.

That's part of their appeal as the concept challenges perceptions and assumptions. Essentially the ninja turtles story will always be the 'underdog' story: unlikely heroes faced with adversity rise above the challenge and prove their worth.

That's why I personally find small turtles more interesting because again it challenges the assumption that size = strength.

I think the 2007 film handled this very well in the first Nightwatcher scene, showing the thug being beaten up, but you couldn't see Raph, who was doing the beating, because he was almost entirely masked by the larger thug.

I also agree with other comments in this thread that the size of the turtles makes them appear invulnerable, which is a shame plot-wise as an audience needs to feel that their lives could be at stake to be truly invested.

Also... There is a big difference between a cartoon world and a live-action world. Cartoons could have massive turtles with super strength and it wouldn't be too difficult to accept because they are in a larger-than-life environment anyway. A live action world attempts to create a believable environment and has to feel real in every sense to be plausible. The largeness of these turtles feels instantly too incredible to fit into a realistic setting and it jars, even if only subconsciously.

So for these reasons I would favour small turtles every time.