PDA

View Full Version : Shredder fights The Foot 1990 *deleted scene*

MastahShredder
08-23-2014, 07:07 PM
4lB1ampYlzs

Enjoy.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-23-2014, 07:30 PM
That was disappointing. As soon as the fight began it frickin ended.

Sabacooza
08-23-2014, 07:39 PM
That was disappointing. As soon as the fight began it frickin ended.Exactly. That was kind of pointless. I hope there's actually more to it. I love the movie but also near the end when the fight with Leo and Shredder was getting faster and heating up, it stopped. Why?! They could've left it go on a little while longer.

Btown
08-23-2014, 07:41 PM
That was disappointing. As soon as the fight began it frickin ended.

Just shows you how good Shredder is :lol:

IndigoErth
08-23-2014, 07:48 PM
The heck just happened there.. :lol: Good support for the fact that sound effects can make something more convincing. lol

Powder
08-23-2014, 07:56 PM
This is just a tiny excerpt from the Turtle Power doc, as far as I can tell. It's merely a behind the scenes feature, not the actual "scene" (I mean, c'mon, you can clearly see the cameras in the shots). Wish there was more.

thebrownranger
08-23-2014, 08:36 PM
It's not the full scene. Just a small clip from it.

Papa Shredder
08-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Shame it's just behind the scenes stuff and not the official scene. Cool stuff though.

ScrewtheMirageTMNT
08-23-2014, 09:11 PM
It's still terrible.

RaphaelinSTL
08-23-2014, 11:53 PM
It's still terrible.

It's a not full scene, genius.

It's a clip taken from a much larger portion of the film in which it was a showcase of the Foot Clan initiation.

I take it you have never read the script or read the comic book adaptation. Saying it's terrible is like watching 15 minutes of a movie and saying you thought the whole film was terrible. You're seeing something out of context.

Oh and that clip is badass, more reasons why the 1990 film is still king.

Raphael232
08-24-2014, 01:12 AM
I remember reading Judidth Hoag saying how the movie was stripped of some things and could of been better. Im assuming she was talking about scenes being cut that would've made the movie better, and this could be one of those scenes.

sgtfbomb
08-24-2014, 04:08 AM
This is just a tiny excerpt from the Turtle Power doc, as far as I can tell. It's merely a behind the scenes feature, not the actual "scene" (I mean, c'mon, you can clearly see the cameras in the shots). Wish there was more.

While the first two or three shots might be B-Roll, the rest of the scene definitely appears as though it could be legit footage, either from a workprint or actual, raw takes.

I think Canadian said it was the full scene in the Turtle Power thread. But, I dunno. It ends abruptly, without a shot showing a pay off.

Radical Raph
08-24-2014, 04:19 AM
That was pretty cool though. That's kind of like what did in the new movie.

Shark_Blade
08-24-2014, 05:05 AM
Looooool most epic Shredder fight ever. :tlol::lol:

Fang Wolf
08-24-2014, 10:14 AM
It's it Available it in a full scene?
I would like to see the whole scene.

THRILLHO
08-28-2014, 12:11 AM
this is what i expected with the DVDs. you'd think they'd of put out a special edition 2 disc of the first 3 at this point.

d_osborn
08-28-2014, 09:29 AM
At least credit the source of the footage. Not cool.

massakre
08-28-2014, 09:40 AM
lol i can only imagine the parent's outcries had this movie been any more violent than it already was smh.. with that being said, i HATE that this scene wasnt included. The first movie should've been PG-13 by a long shot. Now movies EMBRACE the PG-13 rating, wth

Anywho, there has got to be more b-roll footage out there and unless there's licensing issues Im not sure why it cant be released

Donaterro
08-28-2014, 12:13 PM
lol i can only imagine the parent's outcries had this movie been any more violent than it already was smh.. with that being said, i HATE that this scene wasnt included. The first movie should've been PG-13 by a long shot. Now movies EMBRACE the PG-13 rating, wth

Anywho, there has got to be more b-roll footage out there and unless there's licensing issues Im not sure why it cant be released

A directors cut of the original movie?

I'm SO down for that.

Also, in the scene where Tatsu loses it and beats up some feets, the dude is supposed to die. They added sound effects of him coughing afterward to make it sound like he survived... they toned down this movie quite a bit in the end.

RaphaelinSTL
08-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Why are the legal logistics of who owns this film rights now? The first films are just begging for an actual special edition that isn't just the DVD versions of the film in some sort of make shift pizza box case that costs up to around $90 like we got a couple years back.

I honestly feel like the 1990 TMNT film is just never going to see a proper fan edition with behind the scenes, documentary, b-roll, deleted scenes and so on unless Viacom can get their hands on owning the rights to these films and then doing something really special with it. They know the fans are begging for it...so what's the hold up?

There was clearly a training scene on the farm too as I remembered owning the trading cards that showcased the Turtles training with I think Raph having his bandanna over his eyes to practice while blindfolded. Plus, I would LOVE to see the moment they kind of glazed over where Mikey is in the barn punching a punching bag. It's where Michelangelo has this brief but explosive moment of anger which is very much not like his character. If anything, that deleted scene makes sense in Mikey's character arc for the love of his father...as when Donny and him are talking about Splinter not being around any more and Mikey quickly changes the subject. Plus, when Splinter appears during the final battle with Shredder....Mikey is the first one to try and approach him, not once but TWICE! Raph has to hold him back both times.

Whew. Sorry, I went on a rant....anyway, I love this deleted scene with Shredder and I'm sure the full version would've only intensified why Saki is such a major and evil threat in this film.

Donaterro
08-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Why are the legal logistics of who owns this film rights now? The first films are just begging for an actual special edition that isn't just the DVD versions of the film in some sort of make shift pizza box case that costs up to around $90 like we got a couple years back.

I honestly feel like the 1990 TMNT film is just never going to see a proper fan edition with behind the scenes, documentary, b-roll, deleted scenes and so on unless Viacom can get their hands on owning the rights to these films and then doing something really special with it. They know the fans are begging for it...so what's the hold up?

There was clearly a training scene on the farm too as I remembered owning the trading cards that showcased the Turtles training with I think Raph having his bandanna over his eyes to practice while blindfolded. Plus, I would LOVE to see the moment they kind of glazed over where Mikey is in the barn punching a punching bag. It's where Michelangelo has this brief but explosive moment of anger which is very much not like his character. If anything, that deleted scene makes sense in Mikey's character arc for the love of his father...as when Donny and him are talking about Splinter not being around any more and Mikey quickly changes the subject. Plus, when Splinter appears during the final battle with Shredder....Mikey is the first one to try and approach him, not once but TWICE! Raph has to hold him back both times.

Whew. Sorry, I went on a rant....anyway, I love this deleted scene with Shredder and I'm sure the full version would've only intensified why Saki is such a major and evil threat in this film.

I feel your rant.. there are questions in the film - like how does Raph recover his sais after his impressive yet ultimate defeat from the foot (the foot throw them off April's apartment building). In the comic of the movie they show Don making Sais for Raph at the farm.

I think in the end they wanted to stay in the 90 minute movie area, and not release any footage that might really offend parents. The movie was pretty dark for a kids movie and it's still the best TMNT movie yet. Look at what they did with the sequel, basically depriving the turtles of their actual weapons in anyway possible.

I also love how when Don first gets to the farm he's singing, "Old Mcdonald had a farm, and looking at the ground at the (and on the farm he had a "HUH?"). :lol: It really would be the first time for a character with such an inquisitive mind would run into wild-life of that sort (probably saw a strange insect).

THGhost
08-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Not sure why the Shredder would be fighting the Foot clan; training session? But it's still cool. Wish I could see the full scene.

RaphaelinSTL
08-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Not sure why the Shredder would be fighting the Foot clan; training session? But it's still cool. Wish I could see the full scene.

It's in the comic book adaptation and in the original script as a "initiation" sequence. Unfortunately it was deleted because it was "too dark" at the time.

Go read about it online, it's an incredible scene.

http://i.imgur.com/XKTzoMS.jpg

d_osborn
08-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately it was deleted because it was "too dark" at the time. ]
Is this confirmed? Source?

Donaterro
08-29-2014, 10:02 AM

Could just be a display of dominance within the clan.

RaphaelinSTL
08-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Could just be a display of dominance within the clan.

Is this confirmed? Source?

Watch the Turtle Power documentary.

They basically go into detail discussing that Steve Barron wanted to go into darker territory at times and the studio wasn't as keen on it, this is all going on why they're showing this Shredder deleted scene. It's not hard to imagine that it was either cut out for time or they decided to shift that scene all together for tone.

In the original script and in the comic book adaptation, Shredder tells his newest recruits of the Foot to attack him as he sits on the rug...I believe it's too the effect of the attack me to earn the right to wear the dragon doji. That's when you can see where this deleted scene comes in where the new recruits try to attack him, but fail as Shredder fights them off and slices them one by one.

He then goes on to say that these teens were bailed out by the Foot and that it's money they owe to the Foot Clan...that they'll wear these scars (Shredder's slices) proudly as a family.

IN FACT, you can even see Sam Rockwell grab & massage his arm in the background while Shredder is giving his speech...more than likely tending to his wounds after being sliced by Shredder.

massakre
08-29-2014, 01:00 PM

They basically go into detail discussing that Steve Barron wanted to go into darker territory at times and the studio wasn't as keen on it, this is all going on why they're showing this Shredder deleted scene. It's not hard to imagine that it was either cut out for time or they decided to shift that scene all together for tone.

In the original script and in the comic book adaptation, Shredder tells his newest recruits of the Foot to attack him as he sits on the rug...I believe it's too the effect of the attack me to earn the right to wear the dragon doji and that's when you can see where this deleted scene comes in where the new recruits try to attack him, but fail as Shredder fights them off and slices them one by one.

He then goes on to say that these teens were bailed out by the Foot and that it's money they owe to the Foot Clan...that they'll wear these scars (Shredder's slices) proudly as a family.

IN FACT, you can even see Sam Rockwell grab & massage his arm in the background while Shredder is giving his speech...more than likely tending to his wounds after being sliced by Shredder.

You make good points and that would make a lot of sense about Sam Rockwell's scene as well.

d_osborn
08-29-2014, 01:07 PM

In the original script and in the comic book adaptation, Shredder tells his newest recruits of the Foot to attack him as he sits on the rug...I believe it's too the effect of the attack me to earn the right to wear the dragon doji and that's when you can see where this deleted scene comes in where the new recruits try to attack him, but fail as Shredder fights them off and slices them one by one.

I really need to rewatch the doc. I was under the impression that it was probably cut for pacing (more impactful seeing Shredder fight for the first time during the rooftop battle), or for just general quality by Golden Harvest.

Interesting bit-- in early script drafts, Shredder was going to fight the new Foot members while sitting on a throne. They're trying to fetch a red Foot headband off of his shoulder armor... which I'm pretty sure carried over to what was filmed. I need to look again, but I'm pretty sure it's the gang that was arrested for attacking April at the first of the movie.

Commenter 42
08-29-2014, 01:51 PM
In the original script and in the comic book adaptation, Shredder tells his newest recruits of the Foot to attack him...

You wouldn't happen to know where I might find a copy of the original script, would you?

If so please PM me.

RaphaelinSTL
08-29-2014, 02:16 PM
You wouldn't happen to know where I might find a copy of the original script, would you?

If so please PM me.

Unfortunately, no.

I wish I did currently, I remember reading a blog post where someone had screen captures of the actual script. Basically the comic book adaptation is a pretty good indication of how the original script went.

It even mentions how the original first shot you see of the Turtles are their shells popping up from the water like you see in the trailer.

d_osborn
08-29-2014, 02:37 PM
http://www.hollywoodscriptshop.com/movie_scripts_T.html

Yeah, the comic adaptation is pretty much the shooting script.

Commenter 42
08-29-2014, 03:29 PM
http://www.hollywoodscriptshop.com/movie_scripts_T.html

Yeah, the comic adaptation is pretty much the shooting script.

Thanks for that link!

Donaterro
08-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Dang.

As good as that movie was for what it was, it could've been way darker..

TheSkeletonMan939
08-29-2014, 07:48 PM
I would have loved to see that Foot scene in the film. It adds a whole new perspective to the Foot Clan.

Instead of being these lazy teenage bums who half-ass their way to being ninjas, Shredder could kick their butts in a training session and show how serious he is about this Foot Clan stuff.

sgtfbomb
08-29-2014, 10:54 PM
The "initiation," with the thugs trying to grab the bandana, was really more of a punishment.

These are the same guys, including Sam Rockwell's character and the glorified background extra who may or may not be Skeet Ulrich, who jumped April and were arrested at the beginning of the movie, and are later seen throughout the end of the movie.

In the shooting script and comic book adaption, Shredder has them attack him, trying to snatch the bandana. They don't have a chance. He beats them easily and then gives this speech, which is different from the speech in the film:

"Money paid as bail for your freedom is money lost to us. These four have paid their debt. They will wear their scars proudly as a reminder of their quest to be come full members of the foot. Their punishment was just, as it always is in our family. Our family grows. Soon the city will be our playground to use as we please, rewarding ourselves and punishing our enemies.There is a new enemy -- freaks of nature! You are my eyes and ears. Find them! Together we will punish these creatures -- these turtles!"

(Edit: As an aside, the bolded parts of that speech, the parts heard in the trailer -- I might be alone, but I actually kinda like it better than the speech in the film.)

Another clue that the scene was originally filmed as punishment is that you can see Sam Rockwell in the back, holding his arm as if it's bruised. Now, why, when he was just arrested, would his character not be punished for getting caught, but instead rewarded with a chance to fully initiate himself into a ninja organization, where the whole point is that you not only not get caught, but really that no one knows you were there until it's too late? That just doesn't make sense.

However, what is curious is that Shensho, the one who Shredder initiates into the foot in the movie and is later beaten up/killed by Tatsu, isn't mentioned in this scene in either the screenplay or comic book adaption. Now,maybe this is something they decided to do rather close to filming. So, maybe, as it was filmed, it was a combination of both, as a punishment to some and an initiation for one worthy one, or maybe they filmed it two ways. It's not like that never happens in filmmaking. :ohwell:

(Someone posted scans of the shooting script on this forum many years ago, in this thread. http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=13507&highlight=screenplay )

Powder
08-29-2014, 11:41 PM
Now, why, when he was just arrested, would his character not be punished for getting caught, but instead rewarded with a chance to fully initiate himself into a ninja organization, where the whole point is that you not only not get caught, but really that no one knows you were there until it's too late? That just doesn't make sense.

Haven't seen any mafia flicks, eh? :tlol:

If you've got a guy willing to lie, cheat, steal, even kill for you, & when he gets pinched he doesn't rat, you keep him around forever.

sgtfbomb
08-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Haven't seen any mafia flicks, eh? :tlol:

If you've got a guy willing to lie, cheat, steal, even kill for you, & when he gets pinched he doesn't rat, you keep him around forever.

Why did I read that in Robert De Niro's voice?

Here's the scene from the shooting script:

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/8727/shredderenters17yq.jpg

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/9812/shredderenters20nb.jpg

TMNTFilm
09-04-2014, 05:11 PM
At least credit the source of the footage. Not cool.

I am the guy that did the edit on it (bringing the "picture-in-picture" footage from the Turtle Power Documentary into full frame and adding the music)...

I also posted the excerpts from the script, the junior novelization, and the comic adaption at my blog when I posted the video. I just couldn't reply with a link since I have been stuck in account activation limbo for a week:

http://www.tmntfilm.com/2014/08/deleted-scene-shredder-fights-foot.html

Thanks!

-James

d_osborn
09-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Here are a few unpublished storyboards from the early draft script I mentioned above, with Shredder sitting on a throne. Personally, I'm glad it was cut from the flm. I think it was more impactful to save the Shred action for the big final rooftop fight.

http://i.imgur.com/Qdq0VQh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gRyCJ2y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4CU0CIF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Tn1Umwr.jpg

Donnieangelo
09-07-2014, 02:10 PM
I also love how when Don first gets to the farm he's singing, "Old Mcdonald had a farm, and looking at the ground at the (and on the farm he had a "HUH?"). :lol: It really would be the first time for a character with such an inquisitive mind would run into wild-life of that sort (probably saw a strange insect).

Donnie should totally get a singing career. :lol:

He would make millions! :)

ProactiveMan
09-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Shredder looks awesome from the back in that high angle.

TMNT8813
09-13-2014, 02:27 AM
Was he sitting down? :lol:

:o

TMNT8813
09-13-2014, 02:28 AM
It's in the comic book adaptation and in the original script as a "initiation" sequence. Unfortunately it was deleted because it was "too dark" at the time.

Go read about it online, it's an incredible scene.

http://i.imgur.com/XKTzoMS.jpg

Where can I read it online? I've never read the scripts and would like to. #TMNT4Life