PDA

View Full Version : So do the Turtles actually use their weapons in this movie?

Andrew NDB
08-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Does Leo ever cut anyone? Does Raph stab anyone? Does Michelangelo actually smack someone with his nunchuks? I'm pretty sure at least Don bats someone with his staff.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-28-2014, 02:48 PM
No, never, as far as I can recall. I'm sure Donny used his staff a few times, as you said, but the others never actually bothered to use their weapons.

Candy Kappa
08-28-2014, 02:54 PM
The Sai isn't for stabbing though, not like a dagger. It's a baton weapon, a truncheon. You can use it as a focal point when punching with it.

That said, I highly doubt Raph ever uses the Sai properly in the new movie, or anyone for that matter.

IndigoErth
08-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Use, sure.. hard to miss Leo's blades. Does he hurt anyone with them though.. um... hm. Other than throwing it at Shredder, if he does hurt any Foot member with them then it must have been too fast or too shadowy for me to recall. (So far, recalling a big nope.)

Though I guess harming someone in this with his blades means blood, and I don't recall any blood either. Family friendly and all that I guess. Though what's the harm of nice slash across a bad guy, after all he threw a man at a moving subway car, that's not worse? lol

samxsteal
08-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Does Leo ever cut anyone? Does Raph stab anyone? Does Michelangelo actually smack someone with his nunchuks? I'm pretty sure at least Don bats someone with his staff.

Yes the turtle use their respective weapons Leo Does slash Foot often There is no blood thought as the might push the rating. Raph uses his Sai often as well whether its blocking attacks or jabbing enemies. Mikey Uses is Nunchaku often as well uses them to attacking foot, blocking darts, swinging at foot. Donnie has some great moves with his Bo.

Candy Kappa
08-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Do he even do a simple maki uchi men, or a katsugi uchi?
It's the most basic over head cut, although maki uchi men is from Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu, but. An flashier abridged style was developed through Yojimbo and Seven Samurai from that style to work on television.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6114/6316938809_4895d03e74.jpg

beeshaw
08-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Yes the turtle use their respective weapons Leo Does slash Foot often There is no blood thought as the might push the rating. Raph uses his Sai often as well whether its blocking attacks or jabbing enemies. Mikey Uses is Nunchaku often as well uses them to attacking foot, blocking darts, swinging at foot. Donnie has some great moves with his Bo.

Of them all Donnie is the most flashy with his bo. Leo uses his swords the most. Lots of swiping at Foot, but no dismemberment or blood. Raph constantly has his sai in hand as with Mikey and his 'chucks.

Commenter 42
08-28-2014, 03:57 PM
It's the most basic over head cut, although maki uchi men is from Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu, but. An flashier abridged style was developed through Yojimbo and Seven Samurai from that style to work on television.

Once you see the movie, it will become painfully obvious that something like proper stances, positions, grips, etc. are miles away from what the filmmakers were concerned with. In this version they really are "make believe ninja's", similar to the way actors on CSI are pretend cops, which is plausible, as Splinter isn't actually a sensei, just happened to read a book and stay at a holiday inn the night before. :)

Warhorse
08-28-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't remember any scenes that pop out with the proper use of the weapons. Donny the most. Raph uses his sais to block a sword attack from Shredder, and Leo actually throws his sword like a giant knife, impaling Shredder, but that's pretty much it. I think I seen more weapon use in the first 23 minute episode of the Nick toon than the 100 minute movie.

Andrew NDB
08-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Sounds like a copout on that to me. They could have gotten away with a lot at PG-13 the movie has (a first for TMNT movies), yet it seems like they were fully content to hover at the PG line.

Kilowog
08-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Yeah they kind of did, much in the same way they are used in the IDW Comics or the Nick Show.

I'm sure Donny used his staff a few times

I really liked the extending function it had and how it had practical uses outside of combat. Honestly wouldn't mind if that showed up in other continuities used in the same way.

xChri5x
08-28-2014, 07:44 PM

http://i.imgur.com/TqqIItZ.png

Donatello19
08-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Eh, sorta. I mean, they use them...just not in any of the ways that you described.

RatKingLeo
08-28-2014, 08:33 PM
No, why would they do that? It would make too much sense and possibly make it a better product so obviously they wouldn't make them use their weapons.

xChri5x
08-28-2014, 08:47 PM
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l537/vampjezc/tumblr_mjfo90lOda1rdutw3o1_r1_400_zpsd2272d8e.gif

But seriously... I'm disappointed that he didn't use the three sectioned staff thingy that we saw with the toy prototypes.

Candy Kappa
08-29-2014, 01:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/TqqIItZ.png

Yes, I am serious. This is supposed to be a movie with martial arts practicioners, right? Trained in bujutsu and bugei, no?

They even "fixed" the issue that Leo runs around with two longswords by hulking him and the other turtles up, strong enough to smash through cars, he can hold a pair of katana like they where short swords instead, I'd recon. So why not have some actual kenjutsu techniques from either Hyoyo Niten Ichi-Ryu or Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu, or other any other Koryu using two swords.

thebrownranger
08-29-2014, 02:39 AM
The only turtle that used their weapon somewhat efficiently was Donatello; the others didn't utilize them very well. All I could remember was the turtles use their shells/enormous bodies to destroy hummers (Raph), slide down a snow avalanche, and deflect bullets. Couldn't get over how dumb that "buck buck" thing they did to fight Shredder was. I don't think the colossal action in this movie called for the turtles to use their weapons or ninjitsu for that matter.

The Turtle Terminator
08-29-2014, 03:17 AM
Whilst on the subject, does Mike use a 3 sectioned staff in the movie? Or 2 nunchucks?

Powder
08-29-2014, 03:29 AM
Whilst on the subject, does Mike use a 3 sectioned staff in the movie? Or 2 nunchucks?

Reading is good for you. I strongly recommend it. 2 posts up.

But seriously... I'm disappointed that he didn't use the three sectioned staff thingy that we saw with the toy prototypes.

newhire13
08-30-2014, 05:26 AM
It's obvious they had martial artists in motion capture suits to use as references (and even the main actors talked about how they had to learn how to properly use their weapons) but when they do use their weapons and ninja it's super stylized, which I guess is pretty common for films like this. They use their weapons randomly through the films (obviously no blood splattering) and as children you see each of them learning how to wield their signature weapon but they never call too much attention to them.

Candy Kappa
08-30-2014, 05:32 AM
Carving out a statue, isn't exactly right usage though...

But considering PD Splinter's lack of tact, intellect and proper etiquette I'm not surprised.

newhire13
08-30-2014, 05:46 AM

But considering PD Splinter's lack of tact, intellect and proper etiquette I'm not surprised.

I'm talking about the scene of each one swinging their weapons in front of Splinter. And obviously Raph carving a statue was a scene to show how skilled they had become at an early age .

Candy Kappa
08-30-2014, 05:48 AM
Skilled at what, using cartoon physics, or that they have super-human strength?

newhire13
08-30-2014, 05:58 AM
Skilled at what, using cartoon physics, or that they have super-human strength?

Yup! That and getting you pissy.

Candy Kappa
08-30-2014, 06:02 AM
I knew it.

Although, Raph breaking reality by carving out a statue using batons in mere seconds is less anger inducing with how they portray Splinter when he does iai Jutsu in front of the kid turtles. Absolute disgusting with lack of proper etiquette and the kids have to move away from his sword cuts. You simply don't do that. It's a complete ignorant and lack of respect for the art.

Coola Yagami
08-30-2014, 10:31 AM
A shot of Megan Fox's bent over ass. A joke about Mikey getting a hard-on over April. Fart jokes. But Leo actually cutting someone... hell no, think of the children. They can beat it to Megan O'Neil all they want, but can't be exposed to blood, horrible red blood!!!!!

Warhorse
08-30-2014, 12:05 PM
A shot of Megan Fox's bent over ass. A joke about Mikey getting a hard-on over April. Fart jokes. But Leo actually cutting someone... hell no, think of the children. They can beat it to Megan O'Neil all they want, but can't be exposed to blood, horrible red blood!!!!!

Shocking. It's usually the other way around, where there is blood splatter everywhere and not a gasp in the audience. All of a sudden, if a gal's tit falls out of her blouse or a guy gets up and we see his naked ass, OMFG! SHUT THE THEATER DOWN, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!:lol: The guy getting out of bed naked is true, I went through that crap when Wolverine got up in the lasst X-Men movie. So many people around me were flabbergasted.

IndigoErth
08-30-2014, 12:47 PM
No, no... we can't have blood because of the 3D. All that blood flying everywhere, just think of the mess it would make in the theater! :goof:

From what I can gather, sai aren't usually bladed, right? (Or are some?) Assuming they aren't I was rather "um... wut?" on that part.

The guy getting out of bed naked is true, I went through that crap when Wolverine got up in the lasst X-Men movie. So many people around me were flabbergasted.
*sigh* This is why we can't see 'nice things.' :roll: Male nudity instead of female, I mean geeze, how unnatural. :roll:

Kilowog
08-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Meh again this movie had a lot of issues but the lack of blood wasn't really one of them to me? I'm as ok with it as I am about the turtles not maiming people in the Nick or IDW incarnations *shrug*

Candy Kappa
08-30-2014, 03:17 PM
No, no... we can't have blood because of the 3D. All that blood flying everywhere, just think of the mess it would make in the theater! :goof:

From what I can gather, sai aren't usually bladed, right? (Or are some?) Assuming they aren't I was rather "um... wut?" on that part.

*sigh* This is why we can't see 'nice things.' :roll: Male nudity instead of female, I mean geeze, how unnatural. :roll:

Yeah, Sai aren't bladed weapons. They are blunt weapons, like batons or truncheons. Seems like this movie didn't get that memo... Which is sad cause the TMNT property have gotten so much better with the Nick show rendering the Sai mostly accurate ( still used as stabbing and cutting at times against robots) and Leo was given a katana and a Wakizashi, which are the proper two weapon fighting, not two katana.