PDA

View Full Version : TMNT 1990: Garbage truck compactor (Shredder)

Fang Wolf
08-28-2014, 05:24 PM
How could Shredder survive in garbage truck compactor? :tconfuse:
(Is it really possible to survive even though you will be crushed by a garbage truck compactor?)

THGhost
08-28-2014, 07:46 PM
This always bothered me. Y'know what bothered me even more though? The idea of Shredder not surviving that pier falling on top of him after absorbing all of that Mutagen in Secret of the Ooze. Surely surviving that would be more likely?

MsMarvelDuckie
08-28-2014, 07:57 PM
It's called suspension of disbelief, guys. It's what you're SUPPOSED to do when you watch a sci-fi/fantasy movie..... (And I've always wondered the same thing, BTW....)

THGhost
08-28-2014, 08:17 PM
It's called suspension of disbelief, guys. It's what you're SUPPOSED to do when you watch a sci-fi/fantasy movie..... (And I've always wondered the same thing, BTW....)

I know that. ;) But with a franchise like TMNT, don't you think the audience is already suspending their disbelief enough? :P

TMNTChris1980
08-28-2014, 08:19 PM
I remember when I was a kid thinking "Whoa they killed off Shredder in the first movie, I can't wait to see who they fight in the second one". A year later, I was so disappointed to see Shredder come back. I wish the first movie and TMNT were the only ones ever made.

neatoman
08-30-2014, 04:33 AM
You know what's funny about that scene? It's not one of the turtles who (seemingly at the time) killes the Shredder, it's not even Splinter, it's Casey who is the only one in this who Shredder didn't even consider as a factor.

You know what else? That it's a really weird contrast that here he so gleefully commits such a cruel and unusual murder, while in the comic he freaked out and became an alcoholic for killing a guy by accident. Yeah the issue was released two years later but still.

Davetello
08-30-2014, 04:35 AM
You know what's funny about that scene? It's not one of the turtles who (seemingly at the time) killes the Shredder, it's not even Splinter, it's Casey who is the only one in this who Shredder didn't even consider as a factor.

You know what else? That it's a really weird contrast that here he so gleefully commits such a cruel and unusual murder, while in the comic he freaked out and became an alcoholic for killing a guy by accident. Yeah the issue was released two years later but still.

Good point on the second paragraph. I had never even contemplated that.

snake
08-30-2014, 09:37 AM
I think the real question is why didn't Casey get arrested? He knocked a guy into a garbage truck and crushed him! All he said was "oops". That's attempted murder. :lol:

DarkLightDragon
08-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Seems he really didn't heed Raph's words about being rough on criminals earlier in the film...

snake
08-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Seems he really didn't heed Raph's words about being rough on criminals earlier in the film...

I guess so. :lol:

Leolead
08-30-2014, 10:39 AM
I always figured Shredder escaped and it was only his helmet!

Coola Yagami
08-30-2014, 10:42 AM
It's called 'who knew there would be a sequel".

As for Casey.... it's not like anybody was gonna rat him out. How would anyone know he did that? Hell, they dumped Shredder off in the sequel, they obviously didn't even know he was in there to begin with.

Fang Wolf
08-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Shredder returns in the TMNT II with minor injuries.
Should not he have serious injuries like as broken bones after that?

THGhost
08-30-2014, 04:41 PM

How long after the first movie is the second one set?

DarkFell
08-30-2014, 05:15 PM
How did 1990 movie Shredder avoid being crush to death from within a trash compactor?

Secret little known but well-guarded ninja trick. Or a trick that he ripped from Harry Houdini. = p

Maybe there was a chamber that he managed to roll into as the crusher slowly came down (or there was a huge hole that had rusted out in the side of the compactor for him to escape through.) Since Shred took a nice fall into the compactor, maybe the impact knocked his helmet off (and that was what we got to see crushed instead of him.)

What I wondered was why there was a red splotch on one part of the compactor as it came down. I always thought it was a huge blood spot.

Davetello
08-31-2014, 05:42 AM
Forgetting how he may have escaped the truck, he shouldn't really be surviving a fall from that height in the first place. It was a fairly tall building, nowhere near being a skyscraper but it looked about 10 storeys. Survival from that height happens, but generally people die.

mexichrist83
09-06-2014, 03:47 PM

As much as I love the first movie I do have to admit that Casey so coldly and gleefully starting the trash compacter on Shredder is one of my biggest problems with the movie. One way I always looked at it was that Shredder was a cold blooded killer. He did kill Hamato Yoshi and Tang Shen. While the majority of the movie has Shredder as the leader of this city wide crime ring it's that scene during the flashback that really shows you how truly evil he is. So, I can understand why Casey would do this to Shredder. Even if we don't have a scene in the movie where Casey is told the story of Hamato Yoshi, Tang Shen, Oroku Saki and the origin of the turtles we do have to assume that he does know the story at this point and that we was getting a sort of revenger for his new friends by starting the compacter. They did have a long van ride to the farm and he still had not been properly introduced to the turtles and I figured he'd learn their story during that time. Does my theory justify Casey's actions? No but at least I can get some motivation and reasoning from this theory.

As for the question of how did Shredder survive his supposed death from the first movie? I guess it doesn't really matter to me and I never really thought too hard about it. The second movie is silly and cartoonish I just kind of shrugged it off and went with it.

massakre
09-10-2014, 12:10 PM
What I wondered was why there was a red splotch on one part of the compactor as it came down. I always thought it was a huge blood spot.

LOL I was wondering when someone would bring this up.. If it was blood (and I think it is), thats a little gory for a PG movie.. then again, PG movies got away with a lot back then.

Slade
09-10-2014, 11:37 PM
I just figured his helmet popped off when he landed, and somehow he rolled out...then hid somewhere...you know, cus he's a ninja and all.

Warboss74
09-11-2014, 12:36 AM
There have been real life stories of people surviving inside a garbage truck compactor. I think it was posted here about a homeless man sleeping in a dumpster and waking up and surviving being compacted in a garbage truck with minimal injuries. Surviving the fall, I attribute to landing on the garbage.

DarkFell
09-11-2014, 02:26 AM
LOL I was wondering when someone would bring this up.. If it was blood (and I think it is), thats a little gory for a PG movie.. then again, PG movies got away with a lot back then.

I got a better look at that red splotch..and it actually looks more like a spray paint blotch that time. However I would have also believed it if that was blood since Shred did take a slice to the arm from Leo's katana blade during their fight scene.

The Vernon
09-11-2014, 02:46 AM
He was teleported to Dimension X by Rocksteady and Bebop by accident 'cause they thought they were playing an arcade game with the teleporter machine in the Technodrome and then they teleported Shredder back after Krang ordered them to send him back.

DarkFell
09-11-2014, 03:04 AM
He was teleported to Dimension X by Rocksteady and Bebop by accident 'cause they thought they were playing an arcade game with the teleporter machine in the Technodrome and then they teleported Shredder back after Krang ordered them to send him back.

:lol: And you my man can have all of my agrees. Thanks for posting that.

ProactiveMan
09-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Did they empty the truck at the same dump where the Foot's new headquarters were located? If so, that's pretty handy for Shredder. He wouldn't have to walk across New York, all smashed up and stinking of garbage.

jestermon
09-11-2014, 09:16 PM
I think the real question is why didn't Casey get arrested? He knocked a guy into a garbage truck and crushed him! All he said was "oops". That's attempted murder. :lol:

I think he meant it to be actual murder ha.

I'm thinking the reason the foot garbage hideout was there is because he got dumped there and they set up where no on would look for them.

ProactiveMan
09-12-2014, 04:31 AM
I'm thinking the reason the foot garbage hideout was there is because he got dumped there and they set up where no on would look for them.

Nah, because one of the footsoldiers mentions that the junk-yard was their fall-back spot, before they knew Shredder was still alive.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Since the second movie is so full of plot holes already in terms of continuity, I don't think it really matters if the junkyard (NOT a dump, BTW) was the fallback spot or not. First (and biggest) hole is Shredder surviving both the fall (which was more like six stories, not ten, so POSSIBLE, if not likely) AND the compactor being turned on- and I just think Casey was "taking out the trash" so to speak.

The second hole is the time between the two movies. At the beginning, we are led to think from April's new apartment and the fact that she's been ordering pizza from Keno's employer for some time, that at least several weeks, if not MONTHS have passed. Yet then we see Shredder being dumped with the garbage at the dump, from the same truck. There's no way it would have been left in the truck for that long, so it had to be the same night he fell into it. Then he shows up at the junkyard, not long after the last stragglers have arrived. They already mentioned that they were all that was left- meaning the rest had been arrested. Probably still the same night. So how much time has actually passed in the movie??!!

Then we get yet another hole where we see the professor captured, and forced to create the mutants for Shredder- while the turtles are out house-hunting. They find a new lair, and the next time we see it- after April is given her "message" to take to them- it's already fully cleaned and furnished- which means they spent at least a couple of days fixing it up. Perry even mentions that it could take days for them to be ready, and Shredder seems impatient to have them immediately. But later, after the big showdown, Splinter has a newspaper with their little fight on the front page- before they even get back!

Slade
09-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Haha, wow. I never even thought about the newspaper thing until now.

So did they come back late that morning or did they come back that nigh???:lol:

MsMarvelDuckie
09-12-2014, 09:56 PM
I'd say it was at least late morning or early afternoon if it was already out in the paper! They also lied about not being seen, which is shocking, in a way.

TMNT8813
09-13-2014, 02:23 AM
Wow. Some of you have taken this analyzing a little too far....

MsMarvelDuckie
09-13-2014, 07:39 PM
That's what this forum is FOR, LOL! It's all just good fun, "what ifs", and hypothetical speculation. Not to mention spotting minor gaffes in the movies and elsewhere. That's what leads to better stories, after all- feedback and analysis. (And there are various media staff here, so if they see it- awesome!)

shaunatello
09-14-2014, 05:47 PM
I still think Shredder should have worn his crushed helmet rather than that thing he had on in SOTO lol :shredder:

CowabungaMikey
09-15-2014, 01:44 AM
How could Shredder survive in garbage truck compactor? :tconfuse:
(Is it really possible to survive even though you will be crushed by a garbage truck compactor?)

Is it really possible for little Turtles to mutate into giant Turtles that are into ninjitsu and love pizza?

It takes some imagination, and I love it. But, I also didn't like the anticlimax of TMNT 2.

ProactiveMan
09-15-2014, 08:16 PM
"Choose the best men of those that remain to follow the reporter. She's the key to finding the creatures that did this to me."

"Yes master. Next master, we rebuild the foot?"

"No. Next I take a shower."

DarkFell
09-15-2014, 09:02 PM
"Choose the best men of those that remain to follow the reporter. She's the key to finding the creatures that did this to me."

"Yes master. Next master, we rebuild the foot?"

"No. Next I take a shower."

Me thinks he might want a few beers first; having a compactor come down and nearly getting squashed by one would be a baaaad thing to have on his mind.

a) A few beers
b) That shower you mentioned
c) REVENGE!

Slade
09-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Wow. Some of you have taken this analyzing a little too far....

What else is there to do?

Fang Wolf
09-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Me thinks he might want a few beers first; having a compactor come down and nearly getting squashed by one would be a baaaad thing to have on his mind.

Surely there must was a horror experience for Saki in compactor...
How can he take it so quiet after this?

The Vernon
09-18-2014, 11:43 PM
i defeintel yagree

DarkFell
09-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Shredder: "Y'mean they *hic* still s'alive..? Can you not do anything right..*hic* arrgh!"
* snatches up a piece of paper, tries to scribble down location of the Turtles lair, and hands it to Tatsu*

Tatsu: "Master Shredder..I cannot read this.."*struggles to read unreadable handwriting*

Shredder: "Y'better damn well try..*hic*"

Back at the Technodrome..(thanks Vernon.)

Bebop & Rocksteady: *watching all of that on the view screen* "Umm..y'think we should go help him out?"

Krang: "No. I want to be entertained some more.."

Bry
09-19-2014, 08:39 AM

As for Casey.... it's not like anybody was gonna rat him out. How would anyone know he did that? Hell, they dumped Shredder off in the sequel, they obviously didn't even know he was in there to begin with.

The cops don't report an (attempted) murder by garbage truck, and the sanitation workers don't report finding a body and just leave it in the dump. Listen, there's a lot of paperwork involved in this stuff, nobody's got time for that.

Also, his helmet was magically un-crushed. It's... best not to overthink it.

As much as I love the first movie I do have to admit that Casey so coldly and gleefully starting the trash compacter on Shredder is one of my biggest problems with the movie.

The older I get, the more I really love that moment. I definitely see why it's weird or jarring to some folks, but it's just this really dark thing for him to do, and it's played for a laugh! Casey straight-up horrifically murders the Shredder and this is never addressed. Maybe I'm a bit twisted, but I laugh every time.

ProactiveMan
09-19-2014, 12:18 PM
The cops don't report an (attempted) murder by garbage truck, and the sanitation workers don't report finding a body and just leave it in the dump. Listen, there's a lot of paperwork involved in this stuff, nobody's got time for that.

"That's what we do best Miss O'Neil"

Bry
09-19-2014, 01:07 PM
"That's what we do best Miss O'Neil"

Ha!!

This is exactly how it went down. Someone asks the Chief if he's gonna do something about the cold-blooded murder they all witnessed, and:

ss5JWs9aIa4

Myko
09-19-2014, 08:52 PM
But maybe the reason Casey is so casual about it is because he knows, knows in his heart, that old Shredhead will survive?

What Casey doesn't know is that he himself is not coming back for the sequel. :(

Leo656
09-20-2014, 01:23 PM
The older I get, the more I really love that moment. I definitely see why it's weird or jarring to some folks, but it's just this really dark thing for him to do, and it's played for a laugh! Casey straight-up horrifically murders the Shredder and this is never addressed. Maybe I'm a bit twisted, but I laugh every time.

It's not just you. I've actually screened the movie occasionally for (mostly older) people who somehow never even heard of "Ninja Turtles", and Casey's "Oops!" scene always gets the biggest pop. People love that part.

Of course, I would bet any amount of money that that one scene, more than any, was the deciding factor in removing Casey from the sequel entirely. Since the mandate that created SotO was basically, "If we take out everything good from the first movie, and add in more pizza puns... can we still fill our runtime?"

Gump24601
10-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Clearly this needs to be investigated by none other than the Mythbusters!! :lol:

***First of Two Latin Kings***
10-01-2014, 01:15 AM

Jones killed a kid in the comic, a teenager who made a bad decision. Oroku Saki had riddled an entire city with crime, manipulated young kids for his own selfish gain, and tortured the father figure of his friends with plans to kill him and them as well. He deserved to die and Casey knew this. He probably wasn't even here in the US legally.

Weapons@theready
10-05-2014, 10:16 PM

You would think they would've learned from the comics, to not kill off the main enemy the first time around