PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider the movie canon?

CyberCubed
08-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Do you consider the TMNT movie part of official canon? Or do you consider it like Next Mutation as "non-canon?"

Machias Banshee
08-28-2014, 08:29 PM
I think of it as Parallel Universe... kinda like the current Star Trek movies. Not quite right, but some of the core things work... :)

Donatello19
08-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Well it's clearly in it's own universe...

TurtleTitan97
08-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Whether we like it or not (And I'm definitely one of the ones who don't), this is just another universe with it's own Turtles.

6-foot bulletproof Turtles. *sigh*

xChri5x
08-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Do you consider the TMNT movie part of official canon? Or do you consider it like Next Mutation as "non-canon?"

I don't consider you canon.

Cure
08-28-2014, 09:07 PM
I don't consider you canon.

I laughed.

chrisdude
08-28-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm not sure you know what "canon" means.

IndigoErth
08-28-2014, 09:20 PM
No, not at this point in time at least. If it goes through a sequel or two (or more, given how these movies work these days) and at some point brings something new to them that people generally like and adds something good to the Turtles as characters and sticks around in the future... ok, then maybe those bits. But until then, no, too soon, if at all.

Besides, so much of it is a hodgepodge of existing sources anyhow and altered variations on already established things that will stay the old way, it didn't do too much in terms of anything truly original. (At least not anything original that wasn't silly and should prob be cast aside, i.e. bulletproof.)

xChri5x
08-28-2014, 09:24 PM

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/5eeaf8/9c96/8189-CanonEOS450D3quart.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/Canon_example.png/300px-Canon_example.png

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Cannon-620x328.jpg?

Cure
08-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Aaaaaaand you killed it.

MsMarvelDuckie
08-28-2014, 10:23 PM

Since when was NM ever considered "not-canon"? It is more or less canon, at least for the LA movie-verse, since they were still in the subway lair, and Splinter was still Yoshi's pet.

NinjaPug
08-28-2014, 10:25 PM
What is the "official canon"?

TigerClaw
08-28-2014, 10:30 PM
I think of it as Parallel Universe... kinda like the current Star Trek movies. Not quite right, but some of the core things work... :)
Well Turtles Forever establish that there is a Multiverse of TMNT. So this is just another universe with TMNT.

Warhorse
08-28-2014, 11:17 PM
Well Turtles Forever establish that there is a Multiverse of TMNT. So this is just another universe with TMNT.

This. I think it's pretty safe to say that now, there is no official canon.

thebrownranger
08-28-2014, 11:50 PM
No, I don't consider it canon. Honestly, I don't think I can call any TMNT universe after the Nick buyout to be canon for that matter. It's a new TMNT for a new generation of fans. That's my 2 cents.

Xiewin
08-28-2014, 11:51 PM

erm..Not sure how to answer this, but I guess I'll say..Yes? But I really don't know what you're asking about just like every other thread you create.

Powder
08-29-2014, 12:14 AM

This. Goodness.

shuriken
08-29-2014, 12:42 AM
It's canon to it's own universe.

Shark_Blade
08-29-2014, 04:58 AM
2k7 is canon with other 3 movies and 2k3 imo.

ToTheNines
08-29-2014, 05:18 AM
2k7 is canon with other 3 movies and 2k3 imo.

Wow. You've managed to be the biggest buffoon in a thread started by cybercubed. Good job.

DarkLightDragon
08-29-2014, 06:42 AM
The 2014 film being canon to the first three movies (and 07' to an extent)?

No, of course not. The fact that it's a reboot should be a dead-giveaway that it wasn't going to connect itself to the older movies.

Shark_Blade
08-29-2014, 06:57 AM
Wow. You've managed to be the biggest buffoon in a thread started by cybercubed. Good job.Dumb twat like you takes comments from people too seriously, even if it doesn't concern you.

Ignoring you now.

Now what I stated earlier is that the 3 movies can continue to 2k7, and (in a separate timeline) 2k3 can possibly be seen continue to 2k7. It goes either way the way I see. Imagine the shape of the flux capacitor.

ToTheNines
08-29-2014, 07:25 AM
Absolutely not. I won't get into the live action trilogy debate for the millionth time, but there's no way 4kids and 2k7 share a universe.

Karai alone makes it impossible, even without the countless other contradictions.

chrisdude
08-29-2014, 07:32 AM
I wish the 2014 movie had tie-in comics. It's kind of the norm, now. The Marvel Studios movies have them, The Amazing Spider-Man movies, Man of Steel, all Paramount's Transformers, GI Joe and Star Trek movies... I'm honestly surprised this movie didn't have one. Maybe we'll get some for the sequel.

massakre
08-29-2014, 07:45 AM
LOL this thread has went waaaay further than it should have

annnd im adding to it with this post lol

Matt2310
08-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Whether we like it or not (And I'm definitely one of the ones who don't), this is just another universe with it's own Turtles.

6-foot bulletproof Turtles. *sigh*

just the shells are bulletproof

TurtleTitan97
08-29-2014, 11:44 AM
just the shells are bulletproof

I still think it's a stupid idea.

Commenter 42
08-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Of course Batman could be black, and so could Casey Jones.
Don't be racist.

Hannurdock
08-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Canon just means official and not fan based. For example, Leo hating cooking isn't canon. So, all official versions of TMNT are canon.

It's just one big crazy multiverse where anything goes.

TheSkeletonMan939
08-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Of course it's canon, in its own universe...

I'm just confused by this thread.

Galactus
08-29-2014, 01:53 PM
Sadly yes. Easily the worst thing in the canon for me and the most damaging thing to the canon overall.

CyberCubed
08-29-2014, 02:01 PM
I wish the 2014 movie had tie-in comics. It's kind of the norm, now. The Marvel Studios movies have them, The Amazing Spider-Man movies, Man of Steel, all Paramount's Transformers, GI Joe and Star Trek movies... I'm honestly surprised this movie didn't have one. Maybe we'll get some for the sequel.

IDW said they want nothing to do with the new movie, which is why there are no comics or even a comic adaption of the movie like the other 4 movies have.

IDW predicted a bomb like we did and I'm glad they're not wasting comics in this movie universe. I don't ever want to read a comic with Shrek Turtles and Megan Fox April.

Warhorse
08-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Canon just means official and not fan based. For example, Leo hating cooking isn't canon. So, all official versions of TMNT are canon.

It's just one big crazy multiverse where anything goes.

Yeah, but now that there is no truly anything official since Peter Laird sold his rights to Nick, what is exactly canon now? Splinter being just Hamato Yoshi's pet or being Hamato Yoshi himself, which is going to now be the official story? When properties like this get sold out to something else, canon in my mind, goes out the damn window. Heck, Leonardo has always been the leader, but Nick could all of a sudden turn around and make Donny the defacto leader, and since they own the property, they could make it canon, despite pissing off a lot of fans.

DevilSpooky
08-29-2014, 09:15 PM
What a stupid question, this is not Star Wars where you have one continuous universe when you can categorize anything released as canon or non-canon, every version of the turtles is in it's own universe other then a few run-ins with each other like Turtles Forever or that one issue with Cudley the Cowlick, etc. Every version is canon in it's own universe.

snake
08-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah, it's in it's own universe.

nellyp
08-30-2014, 12:22 AM
IDW said they want nothing to do with the new movie, which is why there are no comics or even a comic adaption of the movie like the other 4 movies have.

IDW predicted a bomb like we did and I'm glad they're not wasting comics in this movie universe. I don't ever want to read a comic with Shrek Turtles and Megan Fox April.

How is the movie a bomb? While it was panned by critics the movie is successful financially and was an enjoyable summer action movie. Apparently it has a 60% approval rating among viewers who are the ones that really matter. It was number 1 for 2 weeks and barely toppled on week 3. Saying "we" predicted a bomb implies you speak for everyone here but your opinion is not my own. That would be like if I said "True turtles fans" like the movie, but I can't speak for everyone.

As for the question at hand, as some people pointed out with Turtles Forever there is no one true cannon just a bunch of different stories with similar retellings. If anything would be considered cannon it would be the original comic books written by Mirage.

Xav
08-30-2014, 12:52 AM
Absolutely not. I won't get into the live action trilogy debate for the millionth time, but there's no way 4kids and 2k7 share a universe.

Karai alone makes it impossible, even without the countless other contradictions.Karai exists in the 4Kids universe.

Jester
08-30-2014, 01:07 AM

Karai alone makes it impossible, even without the countless other contradictions.
You're right, but there were some tie in books for kids that threw Silver Sentry into the crazy hodge-podge that was the 2k7 movie-verse.

shuriken
08-30-2014, 01:18 AM
What a stupid question, this is not Star Wars where you have one continuous universe when you can categorize anything released as canon or non-canon, every version of the turtles is in it's own universe other then a few run-ins with each other like Turtles Forever or that one issue with Cudley the Cowlick, etc. Every version is canon in it's own universe.

This. Someone please close this thread before it sucks more people in with its terribleness. People should know the meaning of canon before asking what is canon and what isn't. jeez

neatoman
08-30-2014, 04:19 AM
Well you see, when it comes to big multi-media franchises like TMNT, canon is kind of a dying concept as there's just so many reboots and alternate continuities. Hell, there are three relevant continuities for new TMNT material (four if you count the snail pace of Mirage).

Technically speaking though, since the new movie is the most successful (I think) of the three relevant continuities, it would not surprise me if Nickelodeon declared the new movie's continuity as the true current canon, but I don't believe they are interested in officially declaring one specific incarnation as the core one. Like I said, it's a dying idea.

If you really want to think TMNT in terms of canon though, the Mirage series would be the canon and everything else is considered adaptations and alternate takes.

Davetello
08-30-2014, 04:23 AM
Well you see, when it comes to big multi-media franchises like TMNT, canon is kind of a dying concept as there's just so many reboots and alternate continuities. Hell, there are three relevant continuities for new TMNT material (four if you count the snail pace of Mirage).

Technically speaking though, since the new movie is the most successful (I think) of the three relevant continuities, it would not surprise me if Nickelodeon declared the new movie's continuity as the true current canon, but I don't believe they are interested in officially declaring one specific incarnation as the core one. Like I said, it's a dying idea.

If you really want to think TMNT in terms of canon though, the Mirage series would be the canon and everything else is considered adaptations and alternate takes.

I agree with this post.

Although 'canon' is one of those things which is somewhat confusing. It seems quite ambiguous.

Candy Kappa
08-30-2014, 04:27 AM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13420241370A26714200&page=0

DarkLightDragon
08-30-2014, 06:41 AM
Karai exists in the 4Kids universe.

His point was that in the 07' movie, the Turtles and Karai seemingly met for the first time. Which would not make it canon to the 2k3 series since they met her during the City at War arc in that show. Totally different scenario.

Yes, she refers to Leo as "You!" when they meet during the monster fight, but that could be chalked up to her knowing who they are based on how the Foot described them or their fighting style when she took over the organization. Plus, it would be hard for the Foot to not speak of the people who defeated/killed their previous Master. This is later supported when she talks to them directly, "You are as brave as the warriors I was informed you were." This shows she only knew them by word of mouth and never actually met them until now (in this movie).

Garfield
08-30-2014, 08:48 AM
Absolutely not. I won't get into the live action trilogy debate for the millionth time,

Can you link to threads that discuss this heavily.

Thanks.

Tuxedo Moroboshi
08-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Canon to what, exactly? Which "official canon"? There's several.

JTH
08-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Yes.

And that canon shot me right through my heart... :D

ToTheNines
08-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Can you link to threads that discuss this heavily.

Thanks.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=41377
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=44691

cloud
08-31-2014, 02:29 PM
It's a movie adaptation so it's going to be different than the source.
In general I think the original comics only are canon. But sometimes even some of the stand alone stories are non canon or not sure if it can be considered canon until it is referenced in future stories. Things such as an old issue where the Turtles went to Hong Kong.