PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Recycling concept art

Commenter 42
09-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Looks as though the concept artists couldn't be bothered to come up with new designs for The Turtle Van's arsenal. They are almost exactly the same.

Surprised, I am not.

http://i.imgur.com/eLWWoVE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H4UeNpo.jpg

Leolead
09-11-2014, 06:34 PM
huh? don't understand?

Donnieangelo
09-11-2014, 06:39 PM
The license plate of the Turtle Van almost says "shell razor".

Or is it Shellraiser? :-? Meh, it doesn't matter. :ohwell:

oldmanwinters
09-11-2014, 06:39 PM
I can't believe they went to the trouble of making a Turtle Van that was only in the movie for less than a minute!

IndigoErth
09-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Similar, but to be fair I guess there is only so much they can do with a real door and allow the thing to still close.

The license plate of the Turtle Van almost says "shell razor".

Or is it Shellraiser? :-? Meh, it doesn't matter. :ohwell:
Too many letters, have to be creative. lol

chrisdude
09-11-2014, 06:57 PM
I guess these are sort of similar..? Are they by the same people?

I can't believe they went to the trouble of making a Turtle Van that was only in the movie for less than a minute!Because toys. Same reason Iron Man has a new suit at the beginning of each sequel, when he's already gonna use a new one by the end.

Powder
09-11-2014, 07:34 PM
I can't believe they went to the trouble of making a Turtle Van that was only in the movie for less than a minute!

I think they featured more of it but it tied too much into the Sachs stuff & hadda be cut. Just a guess.

ProactiveMan
09-11-2014, 07:55 PM
They're similar in so far as they're both gunship style wing mounts, but it's not a copy paste job as far as I can see.

Funny, judging by that picture, if the turtles fired those missiles, they'd blow the front tyre off.

snake
09-11-2014, 07:59 PM
They're similar in so far as they're both gunship style wing mounts, but it's not a copy paste job as far as I can see.

Funny, judging by that picture, if the turtles fired those missiles, they'd blow the front tyre off.

Good point. Even more reasons to add to the "This doesn't make sense" pile.

Commenter 42
09-11-2014, 08:18 PM
huh? don't understand?

They've clearly reused the same assets in both mock-ups, modified ever so slightly. Conceptually it's identical.

I guess these are sort of similar..? Are they by the same people?

Yes, the same company.

Wonder how the turtles got hold of military grade weapons?
#Ferguson

jestermon
09-11-2014, 09:08 PM
I don't see how they are the same, guns, missiles, weapons tend to look similar.

I assume they could have stolen some weapons and stuff from the foot in the movie, between the mansion and any other foot place they could have came across.

Just because you post 2 images of similar things doesn't mean they are the same.

Commenter 42
09-11-2014, 09:35 PM
huh? don't understand?

I don't see how they are the same, guns, missiles, weapons tend to look similar.

I assume they could have stolen some weapons and stuff from the foot in the movie, between the mansion and any other foot place they could have came across.

Just because you post 2 images of similar things doesn't mean they are the same.

Again, same designers, same idea tacked on to two different films.

Point is, it's lazy, especially if we are to believe the turtles are forced to wear discarded junk as clothes, but they have military grade weapons in their van.

And no resorting to crislers law for an explanation.

It's just weak design.

chrisdude
09-11-2014, 09:52 PM
It's not in the movie.

TigerClaw
09-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Here's some more Concert Art images.

http://i.imgur.com/HHeWnTU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/w0ucy4V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZSZUlW5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1IyXGCP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tqbKunP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bvoO0vv.jpg

Commenter 42
09-11-2014, 09:58 PM
It's not in the movie.

Not in the final version, sure. Not the point though, is it?

IndigoErth
09-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Wonder how the turtles got hold of military grade weapons?
Stop Foot from trying to steal things. Shrug and take said things home yourself. :) lol

Commenter 42
09-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Stop Foot from trying to steal things. Shrug and take said things home yourself. :) lol

Ha! I also...like this.:thumbsup:

Gunpowder
09-11-2014, 11:27 PM

I'm fairly certain that was because they already had plans for more than one film.

xChri5x
09-11-2014, 11:44 PM
**** this whole ****ing thread

Gunpowder
09-12-2014, 12:14 AM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/47/476df1fea0122a7906b0e663ecaee5df3b31befb258b2d97d6 c6fd157fbf5fd4.jpg

Commenter 42
09-12-2014, 01:06 AM

You mad bro?

Candy Kappa
09-12-2014, 01:08 AM

Yeah, I noticed that too... Maybe Donnie isn't as smart as he'd like to think he is.

Smrt!

IndigoErth
09-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Silly, it's the Bayboot, naturally they use missile-proof tires.

Commenter 42
09-12-2014, 01:40 AM
Silly, it's the Bayboot, naturally they use missile-proof tires.

OF COURSE! If their shells are bullet proof, it stands to reason the tires are too.

RaphaelinSTL
09-12-2014, 07:32 AM
I'm fairly certain that was because they already had plans for more than one film.

That's a problem though. A film should never assume it's getting a sequel...that's how you end up with Green Lantern.

massakre
09-12-2014, 07:46 AM
I think they featured more of it but it tied too much into the Sachs stuff & hadda be cut. Just a guess.

agreed.. this, this, this..
matter of fact I dont even think they added that final scene of the movie until the reshoots.. other than that i dont think the Turtle Van wouldve made it in the movie.

Matt2310
09-12-2014, 07:49 AM
the van was in the movie only for a minute because clearly its going to be used in the second one and they wanted to introduce it in the first.... ppl are so dumb....

Gunpowder
09-12-2014, 08:06 AM
That's a problem though. A film should never assume it's getting a sequel...that's how you end up with Green Lantern.

Agreed. But it's Platinum Dunes, so problems and assumptions are to be expected.

the van was in the movie only for a minute because clearly its going to be used in the second one and they wanted to introduce it in the first.... ppl are so dumb....

I'm surprised by how few people seem to understand that. :lol: Even if they were intending to use it in more of this movie than they did, they have it accessible for use in at least 2 movies now.

Candy Kappa
09-12-2014, 08:12 AM

Then why even introduce it?

Why have a pointless Van cameo and cut out Kevin Eastman's cameo for time run?

Why cut out Raph-in-disguise scene, but include the Van cameo?

.... ppl are so dumb....

TMNachoT
09-12-2014, 08:23 AM
The van was introduced just because playmates wants our money!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

RaphaelinSTL
09-12-2014, 09:04 AM

See my point above Matthew.

Discogod
09-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Again, same designers, same idea tacked on to two different films.

Point is, it's lazy, especially if we are to believe the turtles are forced to wear discarded junk as clothes, but they have military grade weapons in their van.

And no resorting to crislers law for an explanation.

It's just weak design.

Well, why don't you design something better, if it's so easy?

Other than both vehicles having guns & missiles, I'm not seeing the similarity.

IndigoErth
09-12-2014, 12:04 PM
The van was introduced just because playmates wants our money!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Yeaaaah... as much as I'd want to think "nah," the toys were already made, have to push that van somehow, esp with the Raph in disguise bit cut.

I wouldn't really call anyone dumb for not jumping to automatic conclusions about sequel/sequel footage based on a one-off sighting of a van. For all anyone knows the sequel may barely show it either.

Do we even know how capable this thing is as an actual vehicle? Is there any video of it moving or only photos of it sitting somewhere.

Commenter 42
09-12-2014, 02:51 PM
I love the personal attacks on this forum.

"Could you do better?".

See that's the reason i'm going to the movie. To see something I can't do.
And If I pay for it, I can choose to comment on the quality. 'Cause I'm the consumer.

Except in this case, I think anyone could copy and paste, so like I said, I'm not Impressed.

jestermon
09-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Well, why don't you design something better, if it's so easy?

Other than both vehicles having guns & missiles, I'm not seeing the similarity.

Yeah this guy is ridiculous once you point out a problem with his "issue" of guns and missiles looking like guns and missiles and him personally attacking the company and artist that spend thousands of hours creating this stuff.

Also, people sign on people for a certain amount of films all the time, I don't know what world some of you people live in, if they didn't they might not secure their actors for the next movie.

The foot were a corrupt organization so no I don't think they had an issue with stealing technology from them since they tried to you know kill them and they had a huge cache of weapons that the foot would use against them again.

Fourcylinder
09-16-2014, 08:36 AM
spend thousands of hours creating this stuff.

Let's be fair, no one spent thousands of hours creating that concept art, the weapons are so low res, they look like they came out of a PS2 game.

NYR
09-16-2014, 10:05 PM
Not in the final version, sure. Not the point though, is it?

That's exactly the point. Concept art. They are beta ideas. The ones posted here are most likely only a few of thousands that didn't make it into final production. There are most likely many terabytes worth of concept art that was scrapped.

Working in advertising, there are literally thousands of concept advertisements that get chunked weekely, many of which are recycled concepts. That doesn't make the people working on them for 14 hours per day, lazy or uncreative.

d_osborn
09-16-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm still hearing you as Tommy Magnum in my head.

Eh, what you see as copy/paste, I see as just generic modern weapons. Unless the producers wanted to get more sci-fi/alien or handbuilt by Donnie, there's no use in reinventing the wheel. A big, modern gatling gun and a few missiles.

I think the juxtaposition of the high-tech weapons with the sputtery engine and Christmas lights in the cab is hilarious. It was one of the things that gave me a huge, nostalgic grin in the movie.

They should have painted the missiles orangish red.

http://i.imgur.com/ND0y4gC.jpg

Commenter 42
09-17-2014, 02:16 AM
There are most likely many terabytes worth of concept art that was scrapped.
You know that's not true. Hyperbole much?

Working in advertising, there are literally thousands of concept advertisements that get chunked weekely,

Thousands? Literally? Tens of, maybe. Even that would be stretching.

I think the juxtaposition of the high-tech weapons with the sputtery engine and Christmas lights in the cab is hilarious. It was one of the things that gave me a huge, nostalgic grin in the movie.

They should have painted the missiles orangish red.

http://i.imgur.com/ND0y4gC.jpg

I just can't get behind the weapons, or the shrink wrap on the van...

I buy xmas lights in the van, it's plausible, and even a rebuilt van also very possible. But it's lazy to give them high grade military weapons, or access to them. it's callous, and clearly stems from the same brain that wanted them to be 8 feet tall.
Blowing up of vern's car was also utterly pointless. This is a minor infraction in a movie full of bad ideas, but that doesn't make it less true.

Candy Kappa
09-17-2014, 02:21 AM
Wearing old sports gear as gauntlets, rice mat as armor and soup cans for bracer, un-fixed glasses. But a Gatling gun and missiles, I guess the turtles have their priorities.

THGhost
09-17-2014, 07:23 AM
So you're telling me they made all this cool concept art and then didn't implement it into the final movie? :roll:

d_osborn
09-17-2014, 09:56 AM
I just can't get behind the weapons, or the shrink wrap on the van...

I buy xmas lights in the van, it's plausible, and even a rebuilt van also very possible. But it's lazy to give them high grade military weapons, or access to them. it's callous, and clearly stems from the same brain that wanted them to be 8 feet tall.
Blowing up of vern's car was also utterly pointless. This is a minor infraction in a movie full of bad ideas, but that doesn't make it less true.
I'm not defending the creative choices of the production team. I simply took it at face value, enjoyed it, then laughed about it over beers with friends afterwards. Plausibility is out the window with this one, I'm afraid.

I loved the van.

So you're telling me they made all this cool concept art and then didn't implement it into the final movie? :roll:
Yeah, that's the point of the conceptualization process. Explore options... throw around ideas... see how it looks... discard, refine, rebuild until that magical approval comes down the pipeline.

Bry
09-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Wearing old sports gear as gauntlets, rice mat as armor and soup cans for bracer, un-fixed glasses. But a Gatling gun and missiles, I guess the turtles have their priorities.

Right!? Hahaha. The Turtles are literally wearing garbage, but they have military-grade weaponry and Donatello has a hologram-phone.

If this movie's internal logic were a pumpkin, it'd be this one:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/8fb378e55fe1924526a92940dc36104a/tumblr_mvip0ghE101qedb29o1_500.gif

THGhost
09-17-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm not defending the creative choices of the production team. I simply took it at face value, enjoyed it, then laughed about it over beers with friends afterwards. Plausibility is out the window with this one, I'm afraid.

I loved the van.

Yeah, that's the point of the conceptualization process. Explore options... throw around ideas... see how it looks... discard, refine, rebuild until that magical approval comes down the pipeline.

Except it appears that they discarded all the cool stuff. Typical Hollywood. :P

Commenter 42
09-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Plausibility is out the window with this one, I'm afraid.

Maybe that logic should be applied to all films. No rhyme or reason to anything. No logic, because after all it's just a movie.

We should just turn our brains off, pay our 15 dollars, and eat overpriced snacks for two hours.

Here's my money, now please, insult my intelligence, because that's entertaining.

d_osborn
09-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Maybe that logic should be applied to all films. No rhyme or reason to anything. No logic, because after all it's just a movie.

We should just turn our brains off, pay our 15 dollars, and eat overpriced snacks for two hours.

Here's my money, now please, insult my intelligence, because that's entertaining.
Not at all, but we knew full well what the PD TMNT film was going to be before walking in the dark theater. It's up to the individual to enjoy it at face value or not. I chose to have a fun time with it-- old pals, huge pizzas, a few beers, lots of laughs, a bad movie, a good time. Then again, I love schlocky B-movies, which is exactly what the PD TMNT is. If I want artful cinema, I'll pop in The Seventh Seal Criterion Blu-ray and settle down. I have a huge appreciation of both extremes.

What little concept art I've seen from the movie is solid, even though as a fan I'm not behind the ideas. The concept artists behind the work are obviously talented and are simply doing what the production is directing them to. They don't drive the creative. They simply interpret it for the director/producers to pick. A cog in the wheel, so to speak. Albeit talented cogs. For something as simple as modern weaponry in a van that isn't a key prop for a single shot, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Commenter 42
09-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Not at all, but we knew full well what the PD TMNT film was going to be before walking in the dark theater. It's up to the individual to enjoy it at face value or not. I chose to have a fun time with it-- old pals, huge pizzas, a few beers, lots of laughs, a bad movie, a good time. Then again, I love schlocky B-movies, which is exactly what the PD TMNT is. If I want artful cinema, I'll pop in The Seventh Seal Criterion Blu-ray and settle down. I have a huge appreciation of both extremes.

What little concept art I've seen from the movie is solid, even though as a fan I'm not behind the ideas. The concept artists behind the work are obviously talented and are simply doing what the production is directing them to. They don't drive the creative. They simply interpret it for the director/producers to pick. A cog in the wheel, so to speak. Albeit talented cogs. For something as simple as modern weaponry in a van that isn't a key prop for a single shot, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

And I concur with everything you've said, clearly all valid points, from the "it's just a movie, what ever, what did you expect" point of view.
What i find, disconcerting about your approach, is that your expectations are so minimal, as though you have almost no standards, and will accept anything.

What I read you saying is " I got drunk, and they were green, so what-eves, good times".

If your not that invested, why bother commenting here at all?

d_osborn
09-18-2014, 10:52 PM
If your not that invested, why bother commenting here at all?
Oh, I'm very invested! I've had a new TMNT film built up in my head for years, as I'm sure most other fans posting here have.

Why comment? Because I respectfully disagree with your thoughts on the concept artists that worked on the film. :)

The concept artists, the 3D artists, the animators, the production crew, everything in between-- all supremely talented people. If you want to attack people for making decisions on a film you don't agree with, it might be a little more fair to lay blame on the decision makers, not the visual messengers.

"it's just a movie, what ever, what did you expect" point of view.
What i find, disconcerting about your approach, is that your expectations are so minimal, as though you have almost no standards, and will accept anything.
Oh, trust me, I have standards for GOOD films. I also have an intense love for schlock cinema. REALLY BAD, gnarly, fun movies. I grew up watching MST3K. I love the stuff. I find humor and fun in it. Now-- going into the PD TMNT, your'e exactly right! As a fan, I had NO expectations. ZERO! As minimal as can be. I knew it wasn't going to be the film my inner-fan wanted. I knew that the second Platinum Dunes and Liebesman were announced. My curiosity was high. I wanted to see this thing, for better or worse. Why let a bad movie bring down my mood?

To enjoy a movie doesn't necessarily mean I think it's good. As soon as I left the screening, I sent a text to a friend-- "It's an awful movie and I loved every second!"

Commenter 42
09-19-2014, 03:50 AM
Now-- going into the PD TMNT, your'e exactly right! As a fan, I had NO expectations. ZERO! As minimal as can be. I knew it wasn't going to be the film my inner-fan wanted. I knew that the second Platinum Dunes and Liebesman were announced. My curiosity was high. I wanted to see this thing, for better or worse. Why let a bad movie bring down my mood?
To enjoy a movie doesn't necessarily mean I think it's good. As soon as I left the screening, I sent a text to a friend-- "It's an awful movie and I loved every second!"

See, here it is again! We clearly fundamentally could agree, but your choosing to ignore the feelings of rage, or sympathize with other fans when they rage. If you can see why others would be pissed, taking the moral high ground and telling them to relax is impossibly aggrivating

And I also don't agree that it was that kind of bad movie. It wasn't laughably bad, is was simply bland and empty. Everyone talks about that stupid elevator scene, as though that's a reason to go to the movies! C'mon people!

And I get it, sure, a concept illustrator is pushed by the higher ups in a direction...BUT as the artist, you absolutely have the control to steer that conversation as well. You don't do something like this when you're a fan.
This is indefensible.
http://i.imgur.com/ctH5xnR.jpg