PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if anyone has made or can make

FrankRightNow
09-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Looking for coming out of thier shells your turtles figures. I don't think they ever made any. Never seen any. Looking for pics or drawings of what you'd do. Don't know how much costom figures go for, but I'd be intrested

Discogod
09-17-2014, 10:16 AM
I'd give it a go for the right price. You should be aware that custom figures, especially well-made ones, aren't cheap though...

***First of Two Latin Kings***
09-18-2014, 02:04 AM
Thank you, DG. I've had problems with people commissioning work and then not wanting to pay for it when it was done because they felt it was too much money to pay.

Discogod
09-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Thank you, DG. I've had problems with people commissioning work and then not wanting to pay for it when it was done because they felt it was too much money to pay.

Yeah, I used to have that issue, until I started asking for a minimum 25% deposit (non-refundable, unless I f*ck up and can't finish the custom) before I started work. People seem to be less likely to skip out on the bill when they've already paid a portion of it.

A lot of people don't realise how much time & work goes into a custom - I can spend 20+ hours just disassembling a figure and sanding the joints down, and that's before sculpting & painting. And that's not even mentioning the cost of parts - I'm lucky in that I've amassed quite a bit of cheap fodder over the years, but when you have to buy figures just for a small part it soon starts adding up, especially in today's market.

psychoandy
09-19-2014, 02:00 AM
I've often asked for 50% of a commission price up front, much for the same reasons you mentioned, Discogod.

If it's a repeat customer, I used to let them wait until the end to pay, though one guy was so upset that it took me like 2 months to do FOUR customs for him (while I was also working and going to college and doing my comic) that he threatened to not pay our agreed price. We eventually worked everything out, but I've decided that everybody is putting up half the money up front, from now on.

As far as cost of parts goes, I make sure to bring that up when I begin negotioations. I offer for them to supply the parts necessary if they want, and most people seem to go for that; That way, they're at least in control of how much that portion of the overall cost is going to be.

I'm not afraid to turn a project down. 99% of the time, I'd rather live without the extra money than live with headaches.

Discogod
09-19-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm not afraid to turn a project down. 99% of the time, I'd rather live without the extra money than live with headaches.

Yup, I've almost totally stopped making customs for anyone other than myself. Most of my customers were great, but a few were massive headaches. The last straw for me was a guy who asked me to make him 2 figures, ostensibly for his brother's birthday. He asked me to keep any pictures off the web until a certain date, and as soon as I'd shipped them off and sent him the tracking number he listed them on ebay, passing them off as his own work (I later found out he'd been doing that to numerous other customizers). The worst part? They sold for almost 3X what I'd charged him!

darthwahl56
09-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Yup, I've almost totally stopped making customs for anyone other than myself. Most of my customers were great, but a few were massive headaches. The last straw for me was a guy who asked me to make him 2 figures, ostensibly for his brother's birthday. He asked me to keep any pictures off the web until a certain date, and as soon as I'd shipped them off and sent him the tracking number he listed them on ebay, passing them off as his own work (I later found out he'd been doing that to numerous other customizers). The worst part? They sold for almost 3X what I'd charged him!

What were the figures of?

***First of Two Latin Kings***
09-20-2014, 03:25 PM

I think I vaguely remember this.

psychoandy
09-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Man. Eff that guy.

Discogod
09-22-2014, 12:21 AM
Yeah, unfortunately there's far too many people out there who are only too happy to take advantage of customizers - hell, I see that kind of thing all the time in the art world. Whether it's a custom figure, painting, sculpture, fan art, whatever - most people either don't realise the sheer amount of time & effort we're putting in to these things or think that 'cause it's not officially-sanctioned, that it must be worthless...

Coro
10-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Disco,

Is this why you turned down my request for a custom NECA Shredder a few years back? I wouldn't have skimped out on you. Also still interested. You NECA shreds are awesome.

I had debated on contacting you about letting me 3d scan and 3d print your parts then ship em to you for paint so you could make a few per go...then I thought about all the legal crap. Such is life.

Discogod
10-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Disco,

Is this why you turned down my request for a custom NECA Shredder a few years back? I wouldn't have skimped out on you. Also still interested. You NECA shreds are awesome.

I had debated on contacting you about letting me 3d scan and 3d print your parts then ship em to you for paint so you could make a few per go...then I thought about all the legal crap. Such is life.

Not at all, the way I was making Shredders was a ton of work, and after I'd made 4 in the space of a little under 2 years, in addition to a ton of other TMNT customs, and I got a little burnt out.

I'm still working on the best way to mould & cast the helmet & armour - once I've done that, I can start making a few more customs (since sculpting the body's dead easy). I've been struggling, since the parts are so thin, but maybe 3-D printing would be the way to go. I must investigate further...

Coro
10-13-2014, 09:07 PM
Not at all, the way I was making Shredders was a ton of work, and after I'd made 4 in the space of a little under 2 years, in addition to a ton of other TMNT customs, and I got a little burnt out.

I'm still working on the best way to mould & cast the helmet & armour - once I've done that, I can start making a few more customs (since sculpting the body's dead easy). I've been struggling, since the parts are so thin, but maybe 3-D printing would be the way to go. I must investigate further...

The only problem with 3D printing is that the plastic may not take paint well. There are only 3 kinds of material that you can use in printers that cost less than $2000. Once you get into the industrial stuff that uses sand then you can do color straight from the get go-cost prohibitive tho.

psychoandy
10-16-2014, 09:59 AM
3D Printing is expensive NOW, but it'll be affordable for everybody over the next decade. That's the way all new technology tends to go. Remember when DVD Players cost $250 in 1999, but by 2005 you could get one for $25 at Wal-Mart? Or when BluRay players were $500 in 2006, but are now...well, $25 at Wal-Mart?

3D Printing is going to spoil customizers so hard within the next ten years.

Discogod
10-16-2014, 10:09 AM
The only problem with 3D printing is that the plastic may not take paint well. There are only 3 kinds of material that you can use in printers that cost less than $2000. Once you get into the industrial stuff that uses sand then you can do color straight from the get go-cost prohibitive tho.

I've got a few models that were printed out, and once they've been cleaned & primed, they take acrylic paint as good as anything. Sadly, it looks like the cost of printing Shredder's parts would be much more expensive than just casting them the old-fashioned way, at least in terms of material costs.