PDA

View Full Version : If you told people back in 2009 what the new TMNT movie would be like

CyberCubed
09-16-2014, 07:27 PM
..would anyone believe you? 2009 is when the movie deal was first made, so what if you could go back in time and make a post on this forum saying:

- The Turtles would all be 6 foot tall monsters with nostrils and humanoid faces

- April would be played by Megan Fox

- Eric Sachs, not Shredder, would be the main villain of the film

- Shredder would look like a robot

- The Turtles were originally planned to be aliens

- Shredder was going to be a white man Eric Sachs

Who would believe any of this? Sounds like truly awful fanfiction.

Gunpowder
09-16-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm sure that once Michael Bay was brought up, they'd believe it no problem.

Shark_Blade
09-16-2014, 07:47 PM
People believed the boys were aliens, so they'll believe in anything tbh.

Xiewin
09-16-2014, 07:49 PM

Well they were going to be aliens at one point.

- The Turtles would all be 6 foot tall monsters with nostrils and humanoid faces

Seriously, what the hell is your problem with turtle noses?

NYR
09-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Turtles have nostrils.

Human beings can be 6 feet tall and muscular. Why can't fictional mutated humanoid turtles be as well?

Megan Fox is a disireable actress.

Eric Sachs was not Shredder.

The Turtles were not aliens.

If in 2009 someone told me a genuinely enjoyable Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie would be released in 2014, and that i could watch the excitement and enthusiasm in my kids' eyes as they enjoy the movie and spark an interest in something i enjoy as well, I would have been excited. Luckily that all really happened.

IndigoErth
09-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Well if it's factual info, then what's not to believe... though I do wish instead of keeping it under wraps for so long we'd have had more 'warning' much sooner and a longer time to warm up to/accept the debated aspects. Damn that future person for not showing up and posting.

The Boston Ninja Turtle
09-16-2014, 09:02 PM

They believed it yes but they didn't like it also that wasn't part if the story till at least 2011

If in 2009 someone told me a genuinely enjoyable Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie would be released in 2014, and that i could watch the excitement and enthusiasm in my kids' eyes as they enjoy the movie and spark an interest in something i enjoy as well, I would have been excited. Luckily that all really happened.

This isn't fact though, none of it is it's all opinion, not everyone enjoyed it , and that's not limited to those on this board...some people loved it some didn't..that has nothing to do with what cubed actually asked

Coola Yagami
09-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Turtles have nostrils.

Human beings can be 6 feet tall and muscular. Why can't fictional mutated humanoid turtles be as well?

1- the TMNT don't have nostrils. At least not in mass media they don't. Turtles also have tails. Are you gonna make a big deal that they don't in the movie?

2- the TMNT were never 6 feet tall though. why screw that up?

3- agreed on Megan Fox, though I understand people wouldn't exactly put her on the top 10 actresses they wish would portray April O'Neil in a new TMNT movie

4- yes he was until they re-shot the whole thing. Even so, he was the main villain and Shredder was reduced to hire muscle.

5- yes they were til Eastman put his foot down

6- Oh you know that didn't happen. Don't kid yourself.

Autbot_Benz
09-16-2014, 10:20 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2jbr3tf.jpg

Xiewin
09-16-2014, 10:46 PM
1- the TMNT don't have nostrils. At least not in mass media they don't. Turtles also have tails. Are you gonna make a big deal that they don't in the movie?

But wouldn't it have been weird if they didn't have noses in a 2014 movie? Lol I mean, how could they even breathe?
I can understand the complaints about all their other physical features like their lips, size, ect. But noses? It seems pretty appropriate for a modern day adaptation of the turtles, especially in live action.

Slade
09-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Why? Why does it seem appropriate for a movie in 2014? Was in not in all the other movies, shows, comics before? How did they breathe before? What makes 2014 the appropriate era for tmnt with nostrils?

Candy Kappa
09-17-2014, 01:07 AM
I'd probably have the same reaction when I first saw the Turtles designs. Laugh for 5 minutes straight, almost suffocating cause I couldn't draw any breath at the end.

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard when the first leaks appeared.

joefsas
09-17-2014, 02:28 AM
Turtles have nostrils.

THIS! All of this!!! :D

Xiewin
09-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Why? Why does it seem appropriate for a movie in 2014? Was in not in all the other movies, shows, comics before? How did they breathe before? What makes 2014 the appropriate era for tmnt with nostrils?

A liveaction movie, in 2014.

A blob a skin in the middle of the face would look a bit off and cartoonish in a realistic setting. It looks fine in a cartoon or comic, and even the 1990 movies because the old Jim Henson suits were acceptable during that time. But now they would look really cheesy considering todays standards.

Well they could still use the classic look if they wanted to, but it just wouldn't fit with the world around them.

THGhost
09-17-2014, 06:21 AM
Cube whining about the nostrils again. Priceless. :lol:

Slade
09-17-2014, 06:45 AM

A blob a skin in the middle of the face would look a bit off and cartoonish in a realistic setting. It looks fine in a cartoon or comic, and even the 1990 movies because the old Jim Henson suits were acceptable during that time. But now they would look really cheesy considering todays standards.

Well they could still use the classic look if they wanted to, but it just wouldn't fit with the world around them.

Can't agree with that

Xiewin
09-17-2014, 06:56 AM
Oh okay..

Its your opinion so im fine with that.

Bry
09-17-2014, 07:57 AM
To answer the question: in 2009 I'd probably still be wondering about/hoping for a sequel to TMNT. And the minute I heard "Michael Bay" I'd get very nervous. Overall I think I'd feel the same way I do now - hugely disappointed.

To get into The Never-Ending Debate:

"People believed the boys were aliens" because they were revealed as aliens in an actual, official draft of the movie, and Michael Bay advertised that they would be aliens himself, in public. Are people really still trying to play that off as just a rumour? It was 100% the original plan.

Turtles have nostrils.

I have no problem with nostrils. The "Out of the Shadows" designs did a decent job of adding small and subtle nostrils while keeping the overall classic designs pretty intact:

http://cdn.denofgeek.us/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/article_main_half/public/leo_portrait.jpg?itok=nux56bbo

The thing is, those work fine because they look "right" as reptilian nostrils. The BayTurtles have pretty primate/mammal-looking noses and nostrils, which is a weird and off-putting design choice.

It's been covered about a million times already, but the Turtles' small stature and "cute" appearance are a part of their kinda visually-ironic appeal. Besides, they're supposed to be 15.

You can call her "desirable", and you can technically call her an "actress", but "desirable actress" is pushing it. :trazz:

It's all but guaranteed he was until they did some last-minute reshoots. He was absolutely intended to be before the casting became a controversy. William Fichtner has confirmed he was cast as the Shredder and it was changed late in the game.

Again - they absolutely were intended to be until the fans revolted. That was the original plan. They may have changed the plan in response to the outrage, but so many of their decisions were so flawed from jump street that it's very fair to us to question their management of the property.

For you it did. But for everyone else it varies wildly. This movie is overall very divisive and got a response that's mixed at best. Compared to how many other wildly successful and almost universally-beloved comic movies that are coming out like clockwork these days? The bar is set pretty high these days, and by comparison, I'd say this movie fell pretty damn short.

I think the classic look would look great today with a few subtle alterations/updates. Small nostrils are fine, and CGI could help with expressions and enhancements to an otherwise practical suit. But I honestly think the Henson suits hold up remarkably well, considering the era and the budget.

Xiewin
09-17-2014, 08:23 AM
As much as I like the 2014 designs, I would have also preferred a face structure similar to Mateus Santolouco's interpretation of the turtles in the IDW comic. With the addition of the nostrils like the OOTS turtles. Kind of like 2k14 Leonardo in the new movie.
The flat faces of the turtles in the game kind of creep me out.

http://contraversao.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TMNT-Mateus-Santolouco-01.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b6vPA0HBDjM/UUiQ85XGBqI/AAAAAAAAwHY/5oBUnFmHXAU/s1600/tmntshotfc3.jpg

While I might have preferred them to be a little taller, it would be better if we have gotten something like this instead.

But I honestly think the Henson suits hold up remarkably well, considering the era and the budget.

It's not the bodies that don't hold up well, it's specifically the faces. They are wayyy too unrealistic. But I do agree that they were pretty impressive for a low-budgeted movie in the 90s.

Myko
09-18-2014, 02:39 AM
It's not the bodies that don't hold up well, it's specifically the faces. They are wayyy too unrealistic. But I do agree that they were pretty impressive for a low-budgeted movie in the 90s.

But is it the design of the faces that don't hold up or the execution/production?

Xiewin
09-18-2014, 06:20 AM
But is it the design of the faces that don't hold up or the execution/production?

Yes, its basically the design of them.

Bry
09-18-2014, 08:25 AM

Well, define unrealistic. They're not human characters - they're a wholly fictional creation. "Realistic" in a design sense doesn't really apply. And I feel that making them look more "human" just makes them less visually interesting.

Granted, the animatronic work was a bit limited at times (though it was incredible for a $13.5m budget in 1990), but SotO improved upon that and they were actually quite expressive and fairly natural-looking, all things considered. Taking similar (if not exactly the same) facial designs and using CGI to make the eyes and mouths more expressive and "flexible" would look fantastic, IMO.

All just my POV, of course. :)

Bry
09-18-2014, 10:21 AM
"nostriless bulbish frog beaks with those huge cartoony eyes would look absolutely ridiculous in a modern LIVE ACTION movie."

What, these ones?

http://s17.postimg.org/zdcajxanz/tmntoriginal.jpg

Let's not exaggerate. The eyes are actually pretty well-proportioned, see? The heads are a bit big, but they look fine. (And I wonder how the BayTurtles' heads would look if you actually gave them normal, non-'roid-monster bodies?)

"Those massive teeth"

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/ym/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-trailer-new.jpg

RaphaelinSTL
09-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Your comparing a close up. . But there is no comparison.. Even the head of lucus effects agreed. . You know the guy that leads a team of 300 special effects artist for a major production like this... I tend to side with them. I agree with them. That was great... for 25 years ago. Not today. Some ( special effects artist and fans alike) would agree that those old turtles would not pass for what realistic mutated turtles could possibly look like. Quite frankly. . Is alittle ridiculous.. Those rubber looking bodies also would look ridiculous today. Have you even seen the 1080i version? If you haven't.. give it a watch. Come back here and let me know how great they look. We don't watch **** in 320 anymore. I am glad that we are getting a trilogy with these turtles. They will probably change the designs/ clothes around but.. They will stick with what works.. and the movie is a success.

Who is exaggerating?? lol

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStXCes4---w645spx7WHOV7fNV5Dl3KyBLga43WAFc9L7TnRmf
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAv1Tp0oM0CdBv62jBZh434nhd0Q-6YU5c1sFEHW93cOkdSOlm

It's hard to let go man.. I understand. Maybe one day though :smile:

What the hell? Your attitude does not stand for most of the opinion of this board. You're right, we don't watch **** in 320 and I will stand by the fact the original film still looks fantastic in 1080 as I have just watched it recently. Not everyone is a fan of this CGI-fest and I'm sure a handful of people would agree that the original designs have much more sense of realism. I get it though. You really, REALLY liked this movie and you want people to stop crapping all over something you enjoyed.

It's hard to let that go, I understand. Maybe one day though.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/8a5575e3fb8b56427f7b6d03dec50060/tumblr_inline_msua3jTIml1qz4rgp.gif

Powder
09-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Except no.. GOD no.. This is a LIVE ACTION MOVIE.. This isn't a Pixar film :lol:
Those massive teeth.. nostriless bulbish frog beaks with those huge cartoony eyes would look absolutely ridiculous in a modern LIVE ACTION movie. But hey.. some just cannot let go of what they had as a child. It's hard.. I understand.

They wanted to create what a mutated turtle could look like. They weren't supposed to be cute or attractive. They WOULD be frightening. Until you get to know them..
Some of the kids demanding that others take off their " fan goggles " are some of the most blinded ones here. Even suggesting that they should " CGI " those old cartoony designs :lol:

Way to be patronizing. God forbid you try to have a normal discussion.

Bry
09-18-2014, 11:43 AM
"Your comparing a close up. . But there is no comparison"

Want some more?

http://s28.postimg.org/n7ystgp0d/2014_01.jpg
http://s28.postimg.org/9tlpxficd/2014_02.jpg
http://s28.postimg.org/qg3a6iba5/2014_03.jpg

"Those massive teeth... those huge cartoony eyes..."

http://s18.postimg.org/czw8km3fd/2014_don.jpg

"Even the head of lucus effects agreed. . You know the guy that leads a team of 300 special effects artist for a major production like this..."

So... the head of the company that worked on this movie? Ah, an unbiased source if ever there was one.

"what realistic mutated turtles could possibly look like."

Hahaha, what?

"Who is exaggerating?? lol"

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStXCes4---w645spx7WHOV7fNV5Dl3KyBLga43WAFc9L7TnRmf

http://s28.postimg.org/9uvnquk65/2014_04.jpg

RaphaelinSTL
09-18-2014, 11:44 AM

:tlol::tlol::tlol::tlol::tlol::tlol:

This is just terrifying.

Bry
09-18-2014, 11:48 AM

This is just terrifying.

Like... again, people can say what they will about the original Henson suits. They were amazing at the time, and I'll argue till I'm blue in the face that they still hold up pretty well. I'll agree that they're not "perfect" by today's standards. But these new designs are deeply unpleasant to look at, and the Henson suits are not.

Xiewin
09-18-2014, 11:53 AM
I didn't mean to start some kind of argument....:ohwell:

Bry
09-18-2014, 11:56 AM
I didn't mean to start some kind of argument....:ohwell:

Wasn't you, dude! I thought we were having a good, pleasant little discussion/debate here until The Attitude came in. Same routine's happened more times than I can count. :trazz:

No reason we can't disagree and debate this stuff. It's always the few people who get hostile and patronizing that derail things.

Xiewin
09-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Wasn't you, dude! I thought we were having a good, pleasant little discussion/debate here until The Attitude came in. Same routine's happened more times than I can count. :trazz:

Oh thank goodness, I was worried :tlol:

Candy Kappa
09-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Yeah, that FX guy talking about how "goofy" the Henson suits looked with them having big teeth in an interview made me chuckle. Apparently he hasn't taken a good look at the PD Turtles, they got some pretty big teeth themselves.

Bry
09-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Yeah, that FX guy talking about how "goofy" the Henson suits looked with them having big teeth in an interview made me chuckle. Apparently he hasn't taken a good look at the PD Turtles, they got some pretty big teeth themselves.

I didn't see the interview, but was he one of the people who actually worked on the movie?

Candy Kappa
09-18-2014, 12:45 PM
That I don't remember, it's been a while since I saw the interview.

Puddinpop
09-18-2014, 01:01 PM
What the hell? Your attitude does not stand for most of the opinion of this board. You're right, we don't watch **** in 320 and I will stand by the fact the original film still looks fantastic in 1080 as I have just watched it recently. Not everyone is a fan of this CGI-fest and I'm sure a handful of people would agree that the original designs have much more sense of realism. I get it though. You really, REALLY liked this movie and you want people to stop crapping all over something you enjoyed.

Yep.. and THANK GOD I don't think the way some of you do.. I don't want anyone to do anything. If you think those rubber 25 year old suits look more " real " than that is your... problem lol. I post here rarely lately.. Bc I and many others find it to be a drag.. the same ol boring discussion. But when I do post.. BOOM there you are minutes later. You must be sitting in front of that screen 24/7 lol. Sheesh man. I like your little GIF though lol.. That's funny.

"Your comparing a close up. . But there is no comparison"

Want some more?

"Those massive teeth... those huge cartoony eyes..."

http://s18.postimg.org/czw8km3fd/2014_don.jpg

"Even the head of lucus effects agreed. . You know the guy that leads a team of 300 special effects artist for a major production like this..."

So... the head of the company that worked on this movie? Ah, an unbiased source if ever there was one.

"what realistic mutated turtles could possibly look like."

Hahaha, what?

"Who is exaggerating?? lol"

And many others. And Fans alike. If you are really going to sit here and compare those big ass saltines to the new one's than you are far more out of touch than I thought lol.
Yea ill have some more.. I have a few more minutes to amuse myself.

Edit:

How about this one?
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIREiyhr39D4IBDANJ39vw7GrWYvopL a1CXLtrjlg_G77pKWgl
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBTcvAY1z_NpFgZ-wKWL1Ow5TAGwfRaB3bIi9F68bcpkHNtQWi
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrRnwyX5SAtWsMuGaT_wgXo50NbpqVw HAWjI6RdwqUeYgDKHQW
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfmS77025iK1wCd-pbuiZMI6kltXSODupS7I14eHWLbhuYdR1N2A
Is that enough lol? I mean... are you kidding me? Are you really going to sit here and compare these traits? Btw Bryan.. Just to point out.. you purposely picked a picture of Donnie opening his eyes " which are behind glasses lol " in shock and alarm. Nice try though. And yes.. he id work on the movie. Him and 300 other visual effects artist..

This is just terrifying.

I agree. it really is.

RaphaelinSTL
09-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Yep.. and THANK GOD I don't think the way some of you do.. I don't want anyone to do anything. If you think those rubber 25 year old suits look more " real " than that is your... problem lol. I post here rarely lately.. Bc I and many others find it to be a drag.. the same ol boring discussion. But when I do post.. BOOM there you are minutes later. You must be sitting in front of that screen 24/7 lol. Sheesh man. I like your little GIF though lol.. That's funny.

Cool. More personal attacks.

Bry
09-18-2014, 01:13 PM
"If you think those rubber 25 year old suits look more " real " than that is your... problem lol."

They are more real. They're actual physical costumes, not data on a computer. That's as real as it gets.

"If you are really going to sit here and compare those big ass saltines to the new one's than you are far more out of touch than I thought lol."

I repeat:

The BayTurtles designs have some big ol' horse teeth too. It's a valid comparison.

Besides, this one?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrRnwyX5SAtWsMuGaT_wgXo50NbpqVw HAWjI6RdwqUeYgDKHQW

Those aren't the heads used in the actual movie.

And hey, more unprovoked personal attacks, huh? Remind me, how many times have you been banned for that already?

Puddinpop
09-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Cool. More personal attacks.

Personal attacks? lol Uh... try harder man. Really. What does " dur dur " imply? Enough with the demonization victim crap. It's the same thing all the time.. cry victim and then report over and over to silence someone you disagree with. At this point.. if you haven't noticed.. I really could give a ****. I dont need this site.. since it is the most negative cynical site I've ever been on concerning entertainment. The same " they ruined my turtles " everyday for months and months in every thread. And if you are insecure about being in front of your computer all day and night all the time then don't blame me.

Anyways.. Like I said. If you watch the 1080i version of the 1990 film you can see just how fake and rubbery they look FOR TODAYS STANDARDS. It's to bad some dislike CGI.. Even though you never hear anything about Apes.. or Rocket.. Animatronics is the " cool " thing to like these days. Im sorry.. but CGI is the way of the future. It will become more and more advanced until you literally cannot tell the difference. You can do things with CGI that you couldn't do practically. Not to mention safety.. CGI will never go away. A lot of work went into these turtles.. a lot of passion.. a lot of the artist were fans. Imo.. they did a great job. It took guts.. it was different and took most by surprise. But they don't owe anyone an apology and I am sure they are looking forward to the next one.

ssjup81
09-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Personal attacks? lol Uh... try harder man. Really. What does " dur dur " imply? Enough with the demonization victim crap. It's the same thing all the time.. cry victim and then report over and over to silence someone you disagree with. At this point.. if you haven't noticed.. I really could give a ****. I dont need this site.. since it is the most negative cynical site I've ever been on concerning entertainment. The same " they ruined my turtles " everyday for months and months in every thread. And if you are insecure about being in front of your computer all day and night all the time then don't blame me.

Anyways.. Like I said. If you watch the 1080i version of the 1990 film you can see just how fake and rubbery they look FOR TODAYS STANDARDS. It's to bad some dislike CGI.. Even though you never hear anything about Apes.. or Rocket.. Animatronics is the " cool " thing to like these days. Im sorry.. but CGI is the way of the future. It will become more and more advanced until you literally cannot tell the difference. You can do things with CGI that you couldn't do practically. Not to mention safety.. CGI will never go away. A lot of work went into these turtles.. a lot of passion.. a lot of the artist were fans. Imo.. they did a great job. It took guts.. it was different and took most by surprise. But they don't owe anyone an apology and I am sure they are looking forward to the next one.I'm not big on CGI at all because it's overly done. I miss the creativity and authenticity of practical effects, personally. When I heard there was going to be a new live action film, I know it was naive, but I was looking forward to guys in updated costumes with nice fight choreography.

As for the designs of the new turtles...they're just not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. They're too big and bulky for my tastes. I expect the turtles to be stealthy no matter the medium...kind of hard to picture that with this version. I fail to see the "ninja" part with them.

Candy Kappa
09-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Anyways.. Like I said. If you watch the 1080i version of the 1990 film you can see just how fake and rubbery they look FOR TODAYS STANDARDS. It's to bad some dislike CGI.. Even though you never hear anything about Apes.. or Rocket.. Animatronics is the " cool " thing to like these days. Im sorry.. but CGI is the way of the future. It will become more and more advanced until you literally cannot tell the difference. You can do things with CGI that you couldn't do practically. Not to mention safety.. CGI will never go away. A lot of work went into these turtles.. a lot of passion.. a lot of the artist were fans. Imo.. they did a great job. It took guts.. it was different and took most by surprise. But they don't owe anyone an apology and I am sure they are looking forward to the next one.

You are hilarious.

Commenter 42
09-18-2014, 02:21 PM
A lot of work went into these turtles.. a lot of passion.. a lot of the artist were fans. Imo.. they did a great job. It took guts.. it was different and took most by surprise. But they don't owe anyone an apology and I am sure they are looking forward to the next one.

I could literally say the same thing about my poop, and since I think the CGI turtles are very similar to my poop (that's MY opinion), it's an apt comparison.

let's see...

A lot of work goes into my poop...and a lot of artists are fans of my poop.
IMO...I did a great job. It took guts...it was different, and took most by surprise. My butt doesn't owe anyone an apology, and I am sure looking forward to the next one.

Lovely right?

RaphaelinSTL
09-18-2014, 02:24 PM

Whines about the "whining", threatens to leave but never does and then insists on using the same insult of implying someone is at their computer "all day and night." You really make my head hurt dude. :tconfuse:

I don't know what "dur dur" is either.

Back on topic though, I would more than likely tell people in 2009 to not get too wrapped up in things they're expecting to see as the there's really not a lot new going on in the movie besides a really underdeveloped cast, ugly designs and an unfortunate sequel.

I could literally say the same thing about my poop, and since I think the CGI turtles are very similar to my poop (that's MY opinion), it's an apt comparison.

let's see...

IMO...I did a great job. It took guts...it was different, and took most by surprise. My butt doesn't owe anyone an apology, and I am sure looking forward to the next one.

Lovely right?

http://s.mlkshk.com/r/DTZ

Bry
09-18-2014, 02:30 PM

let's see...

Lovely right?

"It took guts" indeed.

http://media.giphy.com/media/Tk5MgrNt8zmFO/giphy.gif

DarkLightDragon
09-19-2014, 06:12 AM
And with that, I have my laugh for the day.:lol:

neatoman
09-20-2014, 12:29 PM
..would anyone believe you? 2009 is when the movie deal was first made, so what if you could go back in time and make a post on this forum saying:

- April would be played by Megan Fox

- Eric Sachs, not Shredder, would be the main villain of the film

- Shredder would look like a robot

- The Turtles were originally planned to be aliens

- Shredder was going to be a white man Eric Sachs

Who would believe any of this? Sounds like truly awful fanfiction.

Well let's see now...

Megan Fox as April? Yes, she was actually a bigger draw back then than she is now to be honest.
Some random guy being the main villain? Hard to tell but there have been comic book movie in the past that have used random OCs as the main villain.
Shredder looking like a robot? Well, the latest incarnation of the Shredder at the time was a digital recreation of an alien...
The aliens thing? That might have been a little iffy, it is still "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" after all, maybe they would have thought a change contridicting the title would be a joke.
The white washing?..
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eYkQqiNJam4/T7-S54g6t5I/AAAAAAAAFUM/rL2D4RwL3-k/s1600/TMNT+1987+-+Episode+3+-+Baxter+Stockman+(human+form).png
http://ironheadstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/Dragonball-Evolution.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/Fist_of_the_North_Star_%28live-action_movie_poster%29.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/27/The_Guyver_poster.jpg

The Boston Ninja Turtle
09-20-2014, 12:48 PM
to be fair..Goku has never been officially dubbed Asian (not that i am trying to defend a terrible movie) but just because he is from an anime doesnt make him Japanese and even then he is an alien from another planet..in reality he could portrayed be any non ethnic skin colored race

also his race was less of an issue than his age....and education

DBE is also one of the more hated movies out there

Coola Yagami
09-20-2014, 01:11 PM
to be fair..Goku has never been officially dubbed Asian (not that i am trying to defend a terrible movie) but just because he is from an anime doesnt make him Japanese and even then he is an alien from another planet..in reality he could portrayed be any non ethnic skin colored race

also his race was less of an issue than his age....and education

DBE is also one of the more hated movies out there

To be fair Goku is as much Asian as Superman is white. Being aliens there's really reason why they even look human at all, especially of on particular race over the other... But they just do.

neatoman
09-20-2014, 03:11 PM
Eh yeah sure, but in the same way as Superman is a Kansas farmboy implies white American, Goku is still coded as asian.

He's based on a character in Chinese literature, has several trademarks of said character, he dresses in gi most of the the time, his wife, father-in-law and sons are often depicted in Chinese clothing and he lives in a setting that gives off a Chinese vibe. He may be an alien in a fantasy world but he is still coded as a Chinese man.

Coola Yagami
09-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Eh yeah sure, but in the same way as Superman is a Kansas farmboy implies white American, Goku is still coded as asian.

He's based on a character in Chinese literature, has several trademarks of said character, he dresses in gi most of the the time, his wife, father-in-law and sons are often depicted in Chinese clothing and he lives in a setting that gives off a Chinese vibe. He may be an alien in a fantasy world but he is still coded as a Chinese man.

Exactly. Which is why Goku shouldn't be played by some white dude, just like I'm sure **** would hit the fan if an asian played Superman.

neatoman
09-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Exactly. Which is why Goku shouldn't be played by some white dude, just like I'm sure **** would hit the fan if an asian played Superman.

Dean Cain is 1/4 Japanese. So someone with signifigant asian heritage has played Superman.

Coola Yagami
09-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Dean Cain is 1/4 Japanese. So someone with signifigant asian heritage has played Superman.

Still 'white' enough to play Supes without causing a stink.

Commenter 42
09-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Could we please not have another stupid race debate here? It always leads to all out war.

The only redeeming aspect of the whole film, was shredders voice. For a last minute addition, the actor should be commended for delivering a halfway decent performance.

Coola Yagami
09-20-2014, 04:58 PM
Could we please not have another stupid race debate here? It always leads to all out war.

The only redeeming aspect of the whole film, was shredders voice. For a last minute addition, the actor should be commended for delivering a halfway decent performance.

Agreed. And yeah, I know he was a last-minute add-in, but at least a scene of the guy suiting up, or losing his helmet somewhere during the final fight would have mailed the point home that Shredder just wasn't some random robot. I mean, anyone could have been inside that thing, it's one of the main reasons the change from Sachs to Saki was even possible. For all we know, Baxter could have been home controlling the sucker.

nellyp
09-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Turtles have nostrils.

I agree fully with this statement.

The movie was an enjoyable action movie so if you had the appropriate expectations it exceeded them. While it isn't the greatest thing the Ninja Turtles Universe has created it was far from the worst. Lets be honest, it wasn't Next Mutation bad, or Coming out of their Shells Tour bad. It wasn't even Turtles 3 bad. It was more like Image Comics Vol 3 where it took things in a whole different direction but was not necessarily bad, just different.

When hearing the turtles were going to be aliens I was dreading it but the rewrite of that was suitable. I wonder if the krang will play a role in the squel?

Coola Yagami
09-21-2014, 09:00 AM
I agree fully with this statement.

The movie was an enjoyable action movie so if you had the appropriate expectations it exceeded them.

Musta been some real low expectations....

Commenter 42
09-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Lets be honest, it wasn't Next Mutation bad, or Coming out of their Shells Tour bad. It wasn't even Turtles 3 bad.

Actually it was, and I would argue, worse.

The ONLY reason anyone is giving this film a pass is because they scrapped their idiotic idea's not once, but twice, in order to keep the fans happy.

Which means they intentionally tried to make major changes twice, or didn't know what kind of film they were making in the first place.

To me, the new "origin" does not work, because it's not their origin. Shredder has no connection to Splinter.
It's like changing Superman's origin. Instead of being the last son of krypton, I could be a family vacation, mom dad and little Kal, and hey, maybe sister too! She could be Supergirl!

But what if, instead of just Superman having powers, the whole family has one of his powers! Or we could add new powers!
and maybe we give them new costumes!

tweak here,
tweak there...
one more ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/IncredibleFamily.jpg

Why bother calling it Superman?

If you want different but good, go watch the season 2 finally of the NICK TMNT. They've made changes, but they WORK. They are done with care to still pay homage to what's gone before.

P.O.S.Dunes does none of this. There is no reason to have a sequel.

Reboot the damned thing, and give Ciro control.

Coola Yagami
09-21-2014, 11:42 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/IncredibleFamily.jpg

Exactly! When I see a pic like this, the first thing that comes to mind is Superman, AMIRITE???

Yeah, these guys had no idea what they were doing when they signed up for this or acquired the rights or whatever. That first draft was already a bad start. Yeah it was shot down, but the idea that it was even considered already spelled disaster for this one.

It's like people acquiring the rights to make Batman and the first draft acquired him being a vampire to explain the bat motif. Sure, it would get canned (assuming PD or Bay weren't behind the wheel) but just knowing they had that would have already have meant bad news.

Commenter 42
09-21-2014, 12:23 PM
It's like people acquiring the rights to make Batman, and in the first draft they make him a vampire to explain the bat motif.

Which, if you didn't know anything about Batman, a change like that could make sense.

Honestly, if I had to write an adaptation for Attack on Titan, it would likely suck.
I know little about it, and don't care to know more.

I would know that there are big skinless people-monsters hanging out in a city, and a bunch of regular sized people need to stop them from doing something, the end.

Then the studio gets involved, and my draft is amended to include the following notes:

I think Johnathon Lithgow would be good to play the bad guy, because, reasons. Let's have Tobey Maguire use this as his comeback vehicle, like Keaton is doing with Birdman. He can play the main character.
Also, let's shoot this in Vancouver, because tax credits. Vancouver can look Like New York and Hong Kong.
Let's make sure the rest of the cast are ethnically diverse, and put a black actor in a position of power, cause that's how we show racial equality in these movies.
What ever monsters we do, they need to be very different, since they look so similar. Give one an eyepatch, another a missing hand, and the last one, make that one a woman. Also make sure they don't look like the cartoon, because they need to be movie versions, and the movie version should be better than the cartoon, so, make sure we change what we can.

Hurray for Hollywood! Lalalalala...Hollywood!
:rolling:

Coola Yagami
09-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Which, if you didn't know anything about Batman, a change like that could make sense.

Honestly, if I had to write an adaptation for Attack on Titan, it would likely suck.
I know little about it, and don't care to know more.

I would know that there are big skinless people-monsters hanging out in a city, and a bunch of regular sized people need to stop them from doing something, the end.

Then the studio gets involved, and my draft is amended to include the following notes:

I think Johnathon Lithgow would be good to play the bad guy, because, reasons. Let's have Tobey Maguire use this as his comeback vehicle, like Keaton is doing with Birdman. He can play the main character.
Also, let's shoot this in Vancouver, because tax credits. Vancouver can look Like New York and Hong Kong.
Let's make sure the rest of the cast are ethnically diverse, and put a black actor in a position of power, cause that's how we show racial equality in these movies.
What ever monsters we do, they need to be very different, since they look so similar. Give one an eyepatch, another a missing a hand, and the last one, make that one a woman. Also make sure they don't look like the cartoon, because they need to be movie versions, and the movie version should be better than the cartoon, so, make sure we change what we can.

Hurray for Hollywood! Lalalalala...Hollywood!

Bay- Signed, cut and print!!!! Why isn't this Commenter 42 guy on the payroll? His ideas are gold!!

slingtheory
09-21-2014, 03:18 PM
To answer the question: in 2009 I'd probably still be wondering about/hoping for a sequel to TMNT. And the minute I heard "Michael Bay" I'd get very nervous. Overall I think I'd feel the same way I do now - hugely disappointed.

To get into The Never-Ending Debate:

"People believed the boys were aliens" because they were revealed as aliens in an actual, official draft of the movie, and Michael Bay advertised that they would be aliens himself, in public. Are people really still trying to play that off as just a rumour? It was 100% the original plan.

I have no problem with nostrils. The "Out of the Shadows" designs did a decent job of adding small and subtle nostrils while keeping the overall classic designs pretty intact:

http://cdn.denofgeek.us/sites/denofgeekus/files/styles/article_main_half/public/leo_portrait.jpg?itok=nux56bbo

The thing is, those work fine because they look "right" as reptilian nostrils. The BayTurtles have pretty primate/mammal-looking noses and nostrils, which is a weird and off-putting design choice.

It's been covered about a million times already, but the Turtles' small stature and "cute" appearance are a part of their kinda visually-ironic appeal. Besides, they're supposed to be 15.

You can call her "desirable", and you can technically call her an "actress", but "desirable actress" is pushing it. :trazz:

It's all but guaranteed he was until they did some last-minute reshoots. He was absolutely intended to be before the casting became a controversy. William Fichtner has confirmed he was cast as the Shredder and it was changed late in the game.

Again - they absolutely were intended to be until the fans revolted. That was the original plan. They may have changed the plan in response to the outrage, but so many of their decisions were so flawed from jump street that it's very fair to us to question their management of the property.

For you it did. But for everyone else it varies wildly. This movie is overall very divisive and got a response that's mixed at best. Compared to how many other wildly successful and almost universally-beloved comic movies that are coming out like clockwork these days? The bar is set pretty high these days, and by comparison, I'd say this movie fell pretty damn short.

I think the classic look would look great today with a few subtle alterations/updates. Small nostrils are fine, and CGI could help with expressions and enhancements to an otherwise practical suit. But I honestly think the Henson suits hold up remarkably well, considering the era and the budget. this. Just all of this