PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

ShelleyQuick
09-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Why do they keep changing the voice actor for Leo? Isn't Seth Green going to be the 3rd one to voice him?

victory_angel
09-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Yes.

Jason Biggs was fired from the Nick Cast. I haven't seen a clear reason some sources have said that he was becoming more involved with "Orange is the New Black" And other people have said his firing was due to some inappropriate comments about recent tragic events. Either way he has been dropped.

Dominic Catrambone had served as a fill in voice actor for Leonardo at this time. While he does do Leo rather well, he unfortunately will only be doing the role until the end of the season.

Seth Green is going the be the new voice for Leonardo come season three.

ShelleyQuick
09-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the reply. I did look at Jason Biggs' twitter page(filthy doesn't even cover it), and I understand it's a personal page, but, with celebrity comes responsibility. Especially when you're involved in such an iconic role like TMNT.

Shark_Blade
09-18-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't even understand why Dominic isn't permanent.

http://i.imgur.com/NerAKpO.jpg

Gunpowder
09-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Yes.

Jason Biggs was fired from the Nick Cast. I haven't seen a clear reason some sources have said that he was becoming more involved with "Orange is the New Black" And other people have said his firing was due to some inappropriate comments about recent tragic events. Either way he has been dropped.

Dominic Catrambone had served as a fill in voice actor for Leonardo at this time. While he does do Leo rather well, he unfortunately will only be doing the role until the end of the season.

Seth Green is going the be the new voice for Leonardo come season three.

I don't think he was fired. From the start of Season 2, Leo's had a number of lines that sound like Catrambone and not Biggs (they may sound alike, but their voices are certainly distinguishable). Off the top of my head I can name a few:

Follow the Leader - "Hey! Ninjas never throw their weapons!"
Mazes and Mutants - "That can't be Leatherhead!"

I'm positive there were more, but those were the most obvious. But this means that they knew he was going to be leaving, because they already had someone filling in for him occasionally (for practice with the role, I assume). So I think that Biggs' departure from the show had been predetermined long before it happened; either he told the studio he had plans to leave, or they decided to fire him very early on. Either way, it didn't just happen abruptly. That still doesn't specify the reason, but I don't think it was solely because of his twitter feed (that didn't get him fired in 2012, so why would it now?).

plastroncafe
09-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Do we have confirmation that he was "fired?"
It's equally plausible he just quit.

BubblyShell22
09-18-2014, 12:43 PM
He may have quit to work on "Orange is the New Black" or he may have been fired due to his Twitter comments. The only reason he wasn't fired before was because it wasn't about people's deaths like he's done recently. Nick saw that and probably dropped him because they didn't want to associate themselves with someone like that. Also, he did an anti-Sea World video, and that may have contributed as well since I believe Nick is a sponsor of Sea World. Either way, he's gone. Dominic filled in for him and Seth will be voicing Leo in season three, which is awesome.

Gunpowder
09-18-2014, 01:07 PM

http://i.imgur.com/NerAKpO.jpg

You know, it's funny. I hated the change at first, because he just sounded like a knockoff of Biggs, but he's gotten exponentially better. Biggs had more inflection in his voice, so I still would have preferred him, but Catrambone's more than passable now, and he's definitely given his own twist to the voice. I'm sad to see him go, too. (Seth will do fine, I'm sure, but still.)

THGhost
09-18-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm pretty sure Biggs was fired after his Twitter antic. If not then he no doubt quit right before being fired. :P

Nor do I. I've told him a few times on Twitter that he does a great job with the role. He's forever grateful for being given the job which is awesome to hear.

IndigoErth
09-18-2014, 08:20 PM
I can't find it now, but once it finally came out that Biggs really was leaving the show, wasn't it confirmed in a way that sounded like it was Nick's choice to release him?

That said, with the 'icky' personality this guy seems to have I still wonder if he's just as much of a pain to work with.

Yeah, Dominic did pretty well. Little flat imo, but he maybe could have improved over time?

BubblyShell22
09-19-2014, 06:38 AM
He seemed to be getting better as the episodes progressed though. I could definitely tell, especially with last week's episode. I, too, wish it could have been permanent, but at least he's grateful that he was given the opportunity, and I'm more than happy that Seth is taking on the role as well.

THGhost
09-19-2014, 08:09 AM
If I was the voice of character in a video game that was adapted from a very popular TV show and was then given the opportunity to voice that character in the show as well, I'd be extremely grateful and over the moon about it. That sort of thing rarely happens. Even if he was merely chosen as a temporary replacement.

Bitsy83
09-19-2014, 11:07 AM
I remember how much people complained when Biggs was first casted as Leo. I thought it was mainly because of his "American Pie" movies and parents didn't want anyone affiliated with raunchy adult comedies to be in a show targeted at kids. I thought that was a pretty stupid reason to want someone gone and I wanted to give Biggs the benefit of the doubt. And, honestly, he was awesome as Leo...

....until he started Tweeting.

Yeah, I believe in freedom of speech and don't like to judge someone based on stuff like this. We all have different types of humor and Biggs' just happens to be very....well, tasteless. He did post on his profile how kids shouldn't be allowed to read the Twitter posts anyway (and I totally agree), but he's a father now himself, so you'd think he'd have taken a different perspective on this.

Sure, Seth Green created "Robot Chicken" and that has had some pretty raunchy stuff on it, but he always seemed to be a pretty nice guy and respectful towards other people. I just sort of wish he was casted from the beginning so we'd have gotten used to his voice as Leo by now instead of having all these changes.

So, yeah, if Biggs was let go by Nickelodeon for his Tweets and rude comments and what not, I can buy that. Buuuuut we can also say that he prefers being in front of the camera instead of behind the mic when it comes to acting. Some actors just prefer one more over the other. Maybe he wanted to try it out and see how it went, but decided he liked his role on "Orange is the New Black" and wanted to focus mainly on that.

That, and maybe he didn't like Nick breathing down his neck telling him to stop being such a douche. :lol: Either way, I'm sorry to see both him and Dominic go since they both did great as Leo, but I am really eager to hear Seth Green. I heard some of his Joker clips from "Mass Effect" so this should be good!

plastroncafe
09-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Biggs lives in New York.
Nick Studios is in California.
Every time they would do a recording either he'd have to fly there, or they'd have to rent studio space for him to record. Not to mention the time sink that is doing publicity.

Until proven otherwise by either Nick or Biggs himself, it's far more likely that the split was amicable and had absolutely nothing to do with Biggs' twitter feed, or his taste in humor.

Bitsy83
09-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Biggs lives in New York.
Every time they would do a recording either he'd have to fly there, or they'd have to rent studio space for him to record. Not to mention the time sink that is doing publicity.

Until proven otherwise by either Nick or Biggs himself, it's far more likely that the split was amicable and had absolutely nothing to do with Biggs' twitter feed, or his taste in humor.

....I like this theory better. Let's go with this theory for now.

Metalwolf
09-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Biggs lives in New York.

Until proven otherwise by either Nick or Biggs himself, it's far more likely that the split was amicable and had absolutely nothing to do with Biggs' twitter feed, or his taste in humor.There's no way for him to 'phone it in?' He could even do a voice (especially in this age) all the way in Bangkok and nobody would be able to tell the difference in the cartoon.

plastroncafe
09-19-2014, 12:32 PM
There's no way for him to 'phone it in?' He could even do a voice (especially in this age) all the way in Bangkok and nobody would be able to tell the difference in the cartoon.

I don't doubt that he could, but doing so would still require a professional grade studio, and then people to man that studio. Not to mention coordination with the directors on the west coast. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's another level of logistics to consider.

It's faster, cheaper, and easier to keep everyone under one roof.

BubblyShell22
09-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Well, I know Isaac Hayes used to do recordings over the phone for South Park when he played Chef, so it could be done. But more and more, I'm thinking that it was probably an amicable split as well and maybe he just wanted to do his other show since it's so successful now. Either way, it doesn't matter to me as long as we have a good replacement.