PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about customising

The Turtle Terminator
09-24-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm new to the customing business. Im about to make a custom 2012 Casey Jones. I need to know what type of paint to use on him, what type of brush and what type of knife to use to cut off the roller blades

Huzzah
09-24-2014, 10:23 PM
As far as paints go, you'll need to utilize acrylics, but I'd steer clear of the cheapo walmart brands, I use a combination of Model Masters and Vallejo paints, both of which are available at places life Hobby Libby, as well as the Citadel paints from Games Workshop, which I usually have to order online. Make sure they are acrylics, enamels don't work well at all with the plastics.

Brushes are a matter of preference, some of my favorite one were the inexpensive multi-packs, plus an old beat up brush I found that is the best freakin dry brushing brush I use.

As far as cutting, and xacto knife, or straight blade from a boxcutter will do most anything you need, with a little sand paper to smooth the plastic afterwards. But I must impress upon you, be incredibly careful, they are razor sharp, can snag and slip, I have multiple scars to attest to that, so be CAREFUL.

Figurerealm Customs, the website, has some excellent tutorials. But for the most part it's alot of trial and error to find what works best for you.

I'm mediocre at best when it comes to customs, and there are loads of people here far better than I, but I'm willing to bet that they'll give similar advice.

mikeyatemypizza
09-24-2014, 10:53 PM
I just finished adding swivel joints to the upper arms, adding revoltech joints to the gloves and magnetized the left hand pad so I can have Casey without it.
Watch YouTube there are lots of good vids with really helpful information. I use citadel paints after scrubbing the figure and accessories down with dish detergent and letting them dry thoroughly. I also use walmart brushes but check to make sure the bristles don't come loose before using them. Make sure to seal your figure after painting with a clear coat I use a mat coat or dull coat. I like the one made by citadel it gives a nice flat finish, although it is like the paints pricey.

Cowabunga Carl
09-25-2014, 04:35 PM
What's the name of the product that you use to sculpt? I've asked before but I can't remember.

mikeyatemypizza
09-25-2014, 06:12 PM
What's the name of the product that you use to sculpt? I've asked before but I can't remember.

Most customisers including myself use this.

Huzzah
09-25-2014, 06:58 PM
I actually prefer the Apoxie Fixit over the regular Apoxie Sculpt.

mikeyatemypizza
09-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks for that, I have been working out of the same tubs for so long I didn't even know about fixit.
It truly does go a long way.
MUST TRY FIXIT :D
Sounds like it has a lot of the qualities I wished my current aves had.

psychoandy
09-25-2014, 10:46 PM
Looks like it's time to bust out my old "Customizing 101" article again: http://psychoandy.com/?page_id=1026