PDA

View Full Version : Favorite TMNT Movie

Cowabunga Carl
09-25-2014, 05:29 PM
So I was curious, and I'm sure there is an old thread somewhere, with the new movie coming out has it become anyones favorite? What are peoples favorites, and why?

For me it is easy, it is the 90's version hands down. Growing up in the 80's/90's was the hight of the original Turtlemania and that movie came out and just made me believe the Turtles could be real. As a kid it was everything the cartoon was and more. I couldn't get enough of it. Now as an adult I can appreciate it as one of the most faithful adaptations of a comic property. It has held up really well and I think it will be remembered as a classic.

Xiewin
09-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Oh crap, I meant to vote TMNT...

hitmonkey
09-25-2014, 05:58 PM
1990 wins by a huge margin for me. None of the other films have been crafted with nearly as much love and passion as obviously went into the original. The story, cast, everything. It says something that 24 years later, it still holds up.

snake
09-25-2014, 05:59 PM
TMNT or the original. SOTO is a close third.

TurtleTitan97
09-25-2014, 06:01 PM
1990 movie is hands down the best Ninja Turtles film to date. I love it because it's faithful to the source material, and because of the Splinter scenes.

Gunpowder
09-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Mine used to be TMNT (2007), but after watching it several more times, I realize how poorly executed (and outright laughable) the plot is. If they had gone with a legitimate story to involve the Turtles - and not some "3,000 year old mythical ray that produces mythical beings" bullcrap filled with cheesy one-liners throughout nearly every fight - it would be my favorite. Because the graphic style of that film is just spot-on. It had potential, for sure, but...they messed up.

So, going with 1990.

Candy Kappa
09-25-2014, 06:21 PM
The first one is the best one, hands down.

Then it's a bit up and down depending on my mood. SOTO is fun, but not nearly as good as the first one with the changes they did. TMNT3 isn't as terrible as people claim it is, but the costumes are laughable despite being more advance in the electronics department. TMNT's plot was too much, the whole movie just didn't feel like a proper reintroduction of the turtles, the animation is great though, so it's issues is almost like the opposite of TMNT3. Ninja Turtles is more or less just trash, great animation and texture job on the Cg models and that's it.

THGhost
09-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Definitely the 1990 movie first. Then either TMNT or SOTO, then III. Haven't seen the new one yet.

Cowabunga Carl
09-25-2014, 07:07 PM
It's cool to see the love for the Original. Yet there have been four people who voted for Ninja Turtles. I'm curious on why that is their favorite. I mean I actually liked it and don't think it is a bad movie, definitely my second favorite Turtle film.

Powder
09-25-2014, 08:03 PM
My favorites rank in the order of their release.

THGhost
09-25-2014, 08:26 PM
It's cool to see the love for the Original. Yet there have been four people who voted for Ninja Turtles. I'm curious on why that is their favorite. I mean I actually liked it and don't think it is a bad movie, definitely my second favorite Turtle film.

A lot of people are saying the new one is their second favourite. I'll be sure to express my thoughts on it once I've finally seen it. Only 3 weeks left til it's released in the UK.

Yep, I can totally understand why.

oldmanwinters
09-25-2014, 08:27 PM

I'm glad to see not everybody thinks Turtles III was the worst movie ever.

I like it. Always have and always will, in spite of its problems.

Netkeeper
09-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Not sure if 2007 or Turtles III is worse, but my favourite is the original, with its sequel close behind it.

Bry
09-25-2014, 08:45 PM
1990. No question. By a freakin' country mile.

There are elements of (most of) the other movies I enjoy, but none of them "click" or hold together as an actual movie and story like the first one does. It has the best style, the best story and dialogue, and the best performances. Easily. And I really love how much genuine appreciation it's getting these days.

Though even though it's not listed, I'd put Turtles Forever in second place.

THGhost
09-25-2014, 09:11 PM

Ah. If we're including Turtles Forever in all this, then I too would put it in second place.

ssjup81
09-25-2014, 10:18 PM
I've only seen up to TMNT, so I won't vote but out of those four, I'd have to say the first one.I'm glad to see not everybody thinks Turtles III was the worst movie ever.

I like it. Always have and always will, in spite of its problems.TMNT III had a really good premise, just poorly executed.

Slade
09-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Original film...by miles.

Gunpowder
09-25-2014, 11:38 PM
"Cowabunga Carl Party Services, cowabunga dude."

(I had to.)

Forgot about that one. That was the most innovative of the bunch, imo.

Shark_Blade
09-26-2014, 04:38 AM
First one and the Bay movie ties for me.

So I go with the more visually pleasing one, since the original does look kinda dated. And April actually wears yellow :tlove: and looks/acts wonderfully.

Powder
09-26-2014, 04:42 AM
She wears yellow in the first movie too, not that it's by any means a defining trait of the character.

DarkFell
09-26-2014, 04:53 AM
The original TMNT movie FTW. SotO and TMNT III were okay, but I'll always like the original movie the best.

DarkLightDragon
09-26-2014, 07:03 AM
Definitely voted for first movie. It's not even a contest. What else needs to be said about it? The Turtles and Splinter were great (character and puppetry-wise), good supporting cast, the story, anything I could say about probably won't do it enough justice.

I've watched the SOTO only twice but admittedly found it better the second time around.

Never watched III in full and mostly skimmed certain scenes before changing the channel out of being uninterested.

TMNT is still okay in my eyes and was almost ready to vote for that, but held back due to knowing it's still a very flawed film despite some things about it that was likeable. I'll always like it for the animation, character interactions, and action, but regarding the plot, pacing, and the way some characters weren't utilized as well as others (Karai and the Foot, Mikey and Donnie, etc.), yeah, it's pretty weak in terms of story with a lot of missed potential.

The Stryker
09-26-2014, 07:31 AM
The original followed by 2014. SOTO in a solid third.

Then it's the bad. I think TMNT hits worst for me just because of how nothing it is. Its like grey mush on screen. It brought absolutely nothing to the franchise and did nothing interesting. Atleast Turtles 3 was silly enough to be fun.

Coola Yagami
09-26-2014, 07:55 AM
Most likely the second. A little more fun. Only thing that would have made it perfect is the weapons and an actual fight with super shredder. The vanilla ice thing alone is such a nostalgia trip.

I love the first one too but it does kinda drag a little at the farmhouse. I know what they were going for and I loved the meditation scene but I was always eager for them to Return to New York.

neatoman
09-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Well I'm watching the 2007 movie right now for the first time (58 minutes in).

So far it's the best because, well, I'm not annoyed with the Turtles...

neatoman
09-26-2014, 09:17 AM
Well I'm watching the 2007 movie right now for the first time (58 minutes in).

So far it's the best because, well, I'm not annoyed with the Turtles...

OK so I'm finished now. There a lot of things that could have been done better, some scenes were not necessary and could have been replaced with something that would make things a little clearer. But I still stand by that it was really nice not to have the Turtles act annoying all the time... The best movie out the bunch, saved by less annoying characters.

pdizzle
09-26-2014, 12:14 PM
The original followed by 2014. SOTO in a solid third.

Then it's the bad. I think TMNT hits worst for me just because of how nothing it is. Its like grey mush on screen. It brought absolutely nothing to the franchise and did nothing interesting. Atleast Turtles 3 was silly enough to be fun.

I can not stress how much you took the words out of my mouth on this one....everything you said 100%

Warhorse
09-26-2014, 01:12 PM
The first movie, hands down.
I like TMNT 2007 and SOTO about the same.
The other two, eh, I just don't care for.

LeoRaph
09-27-2014, 02:12 AM
1990 Movie without a doubt at number 1.

To me it had the perfect balance of light and dark and is one of the most faithful comic book movies of all time. Shredder was intimidating, excellent acting from everyone. Josh Pais as Raphael. James Saito as Shredder. The soundtrack, both the original score & lyrical songs were amazing and fitting. I still listen to Shredder's Suite. Great chemistry between Casey and April. Elias Koteas as Casey. The suits still hold up and those eyes surprisingly for puppets convey emotion somehow. Josh Pais. The fight scenes were awesome. It takes great skill to be able to wear those suits and fight like that. Judith Hoag as April. Kevin clash was a great Splinter Voice and is still the one I hear in my head. Brian Tochi as Leonardo. Robbie Rist as Michaelangelo. Corey Feldman as Donatello. The Campfire Scene. Yeah I could go on and on and on. Did I mention Josh Pais?

Number 2 is reserved for Turtles Forever once I get through FF and BTTS.

Number 3 is Secret Of The Ooze, it was nice to see Donnie get some of the spotlight for once, Adam Carl also did a nice job as Donnie. Raphael was still good, Leo had some nice moments too, Mikey was funny in a non perverted charming kind of way. The line "A little too Raph". The suits still look good. I didn't mind the lighter tone either and as a kid I didn't even notice they weren't using their weapons, I did notice that Donnie, Raph (I was disappointed it wasn't Josh Pais but Laurie Faso did a stand up job all the same), Shredder and April were different but all that mattered were Turtles on the big screen. Watching it nowadays, the fighting isn't as good as 1990 and 3 but the suits give it an edge over 3.

Number 4 is TMNT 3. Bad suits good acting. Nice character development. Not sure about time travel plot holes but the heart of the story was good. It was nice to see Elias Koteas again. I also didn't mind Cory Feldman as Donnie again although I thought Adam Carl fit him better.

Number 5 is 2007 TMNT. Leo Raph fight, cgi looked good. Voice acting was solid. Turtles with jobs. The Night Watcher. Casey and Raph.

Number 6 is Ninja Turtles 2014......yeah..... uh...I liked the Dad/Daddy Line from Leo. His Design was also nice despite the unnecessary bamboo. Tohoru Masamune was also good.

DVD
09-27-2014, 02:31 AM
The first one has so much going for it. It's my favorite of the big screen adventures.
secret of the Ooze is a second, I'd say equal, with III. They are bith just fun movies which are easy to watch.
TMNT is still ok, but, I find I can't really stay focussed on it, and I can safely say I've only sat through the whole thing once.

Donnieangelo
09-28-2014, 10:52 AM
I like all of them.

Davetello
09-30-2014, 12:58 PM
I voted for the 90 film. Some brief thoughts:

The original film is a special movie which stands well on its own - it can appeal to people who aren't even turtle fans. It has the right mix of comedy, darkness and emotion.

SotO is lighter, and I will always enjoy it because of the ooze storyline (even if I feel it could have been handled better). I also feel that this film treats Donnie with more respect than the first.

I think that TMNT III is a decent film if you go into it with zero expectations. It's obviously not great but it's a good 90 minute time sink. The turtle costumes are obviously far worse than in films I and II.

TMNT is a good film in the sense that it plays up the family theme of the turtles and Splinter. I didn't really care for the Winters/monster storyline, but the Leo vs Raph fight is one of the best scenes in any turtle film.

Turtles Forever is fantastic - especially the final scenes which include the Mirage turtles.

I've only seen the new film once in poor quality but I didn't particularly enjoy it. I didn't think it was a good film. However, I will hold back until I see it a second time in far better quality.

My ranking:
1) 1990 film
2) Turtles Forever
3) SotO
4) TMNT
5) TMNT III

Leaving the recent film off for now, as stated. But if I don't like it more on second viewing then it will come in 5th or 6th.

Taartru
09-30-2014, 01:01 PM
My favourite is the original one, Followed by The 2014 one, Followed by TMNT, followed by Turtles 3,Followed by secret of the ooze.

I love the first movie, and it is one my of my favourite films period. Also why is turtles forever not on here, That one would be nr 3 If it was available.

Donnieangelo
09-30-2014, 05:42 PM
I'm glad to see not everybody thinks Turtles III was the worst movie ever.

I like it. Always have and always will, in spite of its problems.
I agree! :)

ernesth100
09-30-2014, 06:05 PM
I liked the 2014 film the most.

nathanbofficial
10-27-2014, 05:58 PM
I'll rank them in order:

1990:
Goes without saying; the perfect movie to describe 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'. It combined the cartoon and the original comics perfectly, whilst being presentable to kids and adults at the same time. I also loved how they portrayed the Shredder. He wasn't a big robot-type, he didn't appear strong until his fight scenes, but yet he was so intimidating by his voice, actions and behind that mask. Fantastic movie, wish we'd seen more from this era.

2014:
I liked it! I thought that despite the flaws, it also did well to bring the 'Turtles' from 'back in the day' to the here and now. They did well to show some elements of the cartoon but I really like how they put their own spin on things. I thought the connection between the four was quite good, especially the scenes when they thought they were going to die lol :lol:. I want to see how they do with sequels for this, there's so much they could put in if it's executed right.

TMNT III:
Yes I place this above the others. It wasn't as bad as people made out - aside from the shoddy costumes, I think the plot held up well personally. It was nice to see a different direction because after SOTO, the Shredder had gone from being intimidating to seemingly completely useless. So with the whole 'transported back in time' stuff, I was quite impressed with this. Plus the battle scenes were quite awesome.

TMNT II: SOTO:
Loved it as a kid, found myself slightly bored upon re-watching recently. I don't know, I think the idea was pretty good of exploring TCRI and how the Shredder returned, but seriously, I think the inclusion of 'more' cartoon elements destroyed the plot completely. Personally, I feel that this picking up were the first left off kinda discredited the first movie and also made The Shredder seem incredibly stupid. Sorry SOTO lovers :/

TMNT 2007:
Boring. Pointless. Latched onto a franchise that had died itself. Will never watch again.

Turtles Forever:
Honestly? This disgrace should be removed from memory. How they treated the original 'toon was completely uncalled for and I personally believe that due to that, the 2003 toon series damaged itself. Why mock something that made it what it was? The writers were pig-headed and stupid. But let's just forget about the 2003 era anyway :D

TheCanadiandrome
10-27-2014, 10:19 PM
Here's how I rank EM:

First movie
SOTO
2014 Movie
Turtles Forever
TMNT III
TMNT 2007

Leo656
10-27-2014, 10:35 PM
First one far outshines everything since. I don't care if it looks "dated" or "cheap", I understand it's a visual medium but story HAS to come first or the rest is just fluff. And the original is still the ONLY TMNT film that has a good story. Keep in mind, I don't really count "Turtles Forever", the same way I don't count "Public Enemies" or any of the other animated Superman films as "official" movies, I kind of mentally segregate them as their own thing. That's just my way of doing it. It's the second-most enjoyable for me to watch past the first one, for sure, but since it's more like an extended episode of the 2K3 cartoon than its own film I don't count it. Others' mileage may vary. :)

All the films have their enjoyable moments, but only the first one turns out to be even greater than the sum of its parts. Really the only thing about the first one that counts as a "flaw" is the SFX, and to me, that's snobbish. Everything else in the film series has huge, gigantic, gaping holes and major flaws that no objective viewer can or should overlook. Now, that doesn't mean people can't watch and enjoy those movies; TMNT III isn't my favorite by a long stretch (although on most days I prefer it to II, which is nothing at all but fluff), but I've never gotten done watching it and wished I had that 90 minutes or whatever back. They just could have and should have done better.

I like the CGI TMNT fine when I want to just kinda watch something and maybe do something else at the same time without feeling like I'm missing anything, since literally nothing that happens in it matters. :lol: It's not "bad", to me, but I agree that for the first exposure theater-goers had to TMNT in almost 15 years, it was a huge wasted opportunity. They could have done a lot better with the time and money they'd spent, basically.

Anyone who has paid attention knows exactly where I'd rank each movie. :)

Xiewin
10-27-2014, 10:57 PM
We talking in the lair fight? Because I think Leo says, "DONNIE!" not Daddy.

No I'm pretty sure he said "Dad!" twice.

Jester
10-27-2014, 10:58 PM
No I'm pretty sure he said "Dad!" twice.
You're right.

CMJeff
10-28-2014, 12:04 AM
TMNT II
TMNT
2014 Movie
2007 Movie

TMNT 3

pannoni1
10-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Nothing captured the public's eye of the franchise in general as much as the first movie. It was the culmination of E&L's dream to show that they've completed their mission of satire/parody through various comics and other references. By far the best acting, writing, characterization, fighting, and considering less technology, the Creature Shop was very innovative for its time. Sure, watching it side by side with the latest movie will show hallmarks of an era, but you can't deny it.

Waytocheesy
10-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Secret of the ooze was awesome :)

Shark_Blade
10-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Secret of the ooze was awesome :)

No weapons and battles makes me bored so it's even lower than TMNT 3 for me.

Redeemer
10-29-2014, 12:01 AM
No weapons and battles makes me bored so it's even lower than TMNT 3 for me.

Thank you!!!!!!

Waytocheesy
10-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Thank you!!!!!!

**** think I need to rewatch them all again

I swear they used weapons hmmmm

Jester
10-29-2014, 12:53 AM
**** think I need to rewatch them all again

I swear they used weapons hmmmm
Weapons...yes.
Their signature ones (aside from Donnie)...no.

jenna
10-29-2014, 02:57 AM
Weapons...yes.
Their signature ones (aside from Donnie)...no.

Yeah. It depends on whether you consider deli meats to be weapons. :)

Chabrendeki
10-29-2014, 04:18 AM
Ah. If we're including Turtles Forever in all this, then I too would put it in second place.

If we're including it, it would be for me Number One!:tcool:

Jester
10-29-2014, 04:20 AM
Yeah. It depends on whether you consider deli meats to be weapons. :)
Splinter: In the hands of a true ninjitsu master, anything can be a deadly weapon. Remember, a weapon is only as good as the arm that wields it, Leonardo. Until you have learned this lesson, you have learned nothing.

jenna
10-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Splinter: In the hands of a true ninjitsu master, anything can be a deadly weapon. Remember, a weapon is only as good as the arm that wields it, Leonardo. Until you have learned this lesson, you have learned nothing.

Wise words. *ninja bow*

Leo656
10-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Splinter: In the hands of a true ninjitsu master, anything can be a deadly weapon.

Absolutely ANYTHING. Observe (Language Warning):
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/361/214/69a.jpg

8)

CyberCubed
10-29-2014, 02:14 PM
TMNT 1 > TMNT 2 > TMNT III > TMNT >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Michael Bay crapfest.

tmntpower2k14
11-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Turtles Forever

The rest sucked

Shark_Blade
11-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Turtles Forever

The rest sucked
This make perfect sense to me. :tgrin:

To put it fully:

1. TMNT 1
2. TMNT 2014
3. TMNT Turtles Forever
4. TMNT 3
5. TMNT 2
6. TMNT 2007

:tcool:

zipper
11-09-2014, 07:20 AM
I haven't watched Turtles Forever completely yet. It's always just a portion at a time and so I won't rank that one. But my list is this:

TMNT II
III

Splint'r
11-09-2014, 07:52 AM
For me, it's like this.

1st place - 1990 movie (I can play this one over and over without getting sick of it.)
2nd place - 2014 (Hey... I actually enjoyed it...)

Don't care about the rest so much as I did when I was a kid. I don't hate any of them. But the top two I listed gets my vote for varying reasons.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-09-2014, 09:02 AM
TMNT (1990)

Ninja Turtles (2014)
Turtles Forever (2009)

TMNT (2007)

Secret of the Ooze (1991)

TMNT III (1993)

LeotheLateBloomer
11-09-2014, 09:32 AM
1.) TMNT 1990: No Question, this was the first time the comics were represented in the series. It blended the Mirage Stories with the 1987 series. While it has a few flaws, it's still one the interpretations of the TMNT and gets the characters right (minus Donatello).

2.) TMNT 2: Despite being heavily toned down, it's far from a terrible movie. It manages to incorporate some of the TCRI elements and still had an interesting story. It also introduced Tokka and Razhar. Let's not forget, "Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go!".

3.) TMNT 2007: Despite the side story on Max Winters and the unmemorable villains, this movie was the only other time they attempted a dark and gritty toned movie. The Leo vs Raph tensions were the highlight of the film and I just love how they handled the sibling rivalry between them. My only problems with this film besides the side plot was the lack of focus on Mikey and Donnie, Leo came of as a bit out of character at times, and the lack of explanation of why Kari and the Foot would serve Max Winters.

4.) TMNT 2014: This movie is HEAVILY flawed when you are immersed in the TMNT mythos. Despite the questionable designs, I actually thing that these gave a potentially darker and grittier movie. But that goes in to my biggest problem with this film, it has no specific direction. There are times where it tries to be dark, while other times it tries to be goofy, and then energetic. The problem? It's inconsistent. They hardly focused on the relationship between the brothers and there's not enough info for the material they are working with. But the action and voices for the turtles were pretty well done. Can't say the same for Splinter or the human cast, though. I'm overall mixed on this movie but I don't hate it.

5.) TMNT 3: Oooo, boy! What can I say about this film that already hasn't been said? Well, I thought the idea of going back to Fedual Japan had potential. The problem was the execution. Whereas the latest movie lacked a direction, this film had one.....but it's not what we wanted. I did like some of the moments where Raphael bonded with Yoshi and Mikey got to know Mitsu but this still was a poorly executed film.

tmntpower2k14
12-08-2014, 07:54 PM
4.) TMNT 2014: This movie is HEAVILY flawed when you are immersed in the TMNT mythos. Despite the questionable designs, I actually thing that these gave a potentially darker and grittier movie. But that goes in to my biggest problem with this film, it has no specific direction. There are times where it tries to be dark, while other times it tries to be goofy, and then energetic. The problem? It's inconsistent. They hardly focused on the relationship between the brothers and there's not enough info for the material they are working with. But the action and voices for the turtles were pretty well done. Can't say the same for Splinter or the human cast, though. I'm overall mixed on this movie but I don't hate it.

You just went in depth how even with it's flaws, re-writes, plot holes, studio meddling (the tone clashes, which is really combining elements of Mirage / IDW and Wolf / Nick toon) ... it's clearly better than the watered down, thoroughly goofy, plot hole ridden Secret of the Ooze. Which has aged terribly. Yet that ranks number 2 for you? Nostalgia blinders much? At least the turtles in the 2014 film are some what violent. 2014 has some personality. Some originality to it. I can respect that on some levels. Plus it's flat out more entertaining, especially visually. No comparison.

TrickOrTreater
12-08-2014, 08:23 PM
2014 has some personality. Some originality to it. I can respect that on some levels. Plus it's flat out more entertaining, especially visually. No comparison.

http://i.imgur.com/U66C3oe.gif?1

LeotheLateBloomer
12-08-2014, 09:17 PM
You just went in depth how even with it's flaws, re-writes, plot holes, studio meddling (the tone clashes, which is really combining elements of Mirage / IDW and Wolf / Nick toon) ... it's clearly better than the watered down, thoroughly goofy, plot hole ridden Secret of the Ooze. Which has aged terribly. Yet that ranks number 2 for you? Nostalgia blinders much? At least the turtles in the 2014 film are some what violent. 2014 has some personality. Some originality to it. I can respect that on some levels. Plus it's flat out more entertaining, especially visually. No comparison.

Because TMNT 2 had a better story and I can actually tell what they were going for. Yes, the turtles barely used their weapons but the question you should be asking is "was the action still good"? Also, they weren't too heavily toned down too the point where they couldn't take a situation seriously like in TMNT 3. TMNT 2014 was enjoyable but I just think they shifted tones in the movie too much for me to even tell what were they going for. It's main problem for me was that it was inconsistent.

Brooke507
12-10-2014, 09:00 PM
So far, my favorites are the 1990 and The Secret of the Ooze movies.