PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Eyes on the 1990 Movie Classics Collection

LeoRaph
10-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Hey guys,

I've bought a set of the 1990 Movie Classics Collection and no surprise my turtle luck ran true to form where Leo & Raph's eyes are pretty bad, mostly the white circles in the pupils are different sizes which look terrible.

So, I've bought some black and white paint and ultra fine brushes from a hobby shop but I'm really nervous of how to go about fixing it, especially being a first timer to this. Bottom line is you shouldn't have to fix a sloppy job for 'Collectables' but hey it's playmates and it needs to be done.

Do you guys have any advice with how to do eyes properly? It should just be a simple dab of black on the white circles let it dry then do some new white circles on the new pupils. Problem is it needs to be a 'proper circle' and I'm worried it won't be circle like.

I'm also considering just getting a fine sharpie and doing it that way but the paint would at least look better. If I royally screw it up I'll hunt down a Leo & Raph when they are eventually released here in Oz but if I can do a better job myself with these ones it's at least worth a shot.

psychoandy
10-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Don't use a Sharpie - After a year or two, that ink will turn purple and bleed into the rest of the eye, meaning you'll constantly have to touch everything up.

Try practicing dabbing your brushes on other curved surfaces -- Paper cups, ball bearings, marbles, those sorts of things, until you feel that you can do what you want on the actual figures.

LeoRaph
10-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks psychoandy!

I'll try practicing on some round surfaces like you suggested, maybe visit the local art & craft shop and buy some round stuff then see how it goes.

psychoandy
10-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Best wishes! Let us see how it turns out.

LeoRaph
10-12-2014, 04:20 AM
Cheers psychoandy, will do!