PDA

View Full Version : Swamp Thing (Discussion)

TonySiegel
10-15-2014, 06:32 AM
So what do you guys think of this character? Does he get his just due? Are you reading his new 52 ongoing?

and most importantly will he ever get another shot on the silver screen?!

Zulithe
10-15-2014, 07:03 AM
I'm a slouch and need to read more of the New 52 series, but I can tell you Swamp Thing has been a huge favorite of mine since a child. I watched both live action movies and really fell in love with the character early on. His design and powers really resonated with me, nature and plants have always been an intense area of interest so that makes sense.

Then the live action TV show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLSghgZxIHA) hit and the cartoon show at roughly the same period and I really dug both. Now, look... neither have aged very well but at that time I think they did about the best they could have.

I had all the Kenner Swamp Thing action figures, and then as I got into my late tweens, started reading Swamp Thing comics. One of my most prized possessions was a vintage copy of Swamp Thing #1 in very good condition I bought for around $7.50 when I was 11yo. While it has not increased in value as much as some comics I own, it still holds a very special place in my heart.

In my early teens I was reading a lot of Wizard Magazine back when that's what most comic fans my age did to get the latest news and info and started to learn about some of the all-time best runs of Swamp Thing by Alan Moore. So I read those and was simply blown away.

This was around the time Swamp Thing was a Vertigo book and I could not get into it as much as the Alan Moore stuff, so I didn't read a lot of newer Swamp Thing even though I remained a huge fan of the character and his potential.

In recent Swamp Thing news... he is announced as a playable character in LEGO Batman 3 so that's pretty sweet. I hope we can get another Swamp Thing movie or TV show someday.

TonySiegel
10-15-2014, 08:31 AM
@Zulithe

i hear you man! swamp thing is awesome haven't re-watched his foray into the animated or the film realms in years...

finished his alan moore run over this summer which was a task tracking down the collection with hard covers (glad i didn't overpay for neither of the 5 books)...

after reading his alan moore run i can honestly say that swamp thing has cemented himself in my top 5 superheroes of all time...

i forgot where i got up to in his new 52 run but it was getting very deep...

i really would love to see a new successful movie from him...

TonySiegel
10-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Well with DC's newest film announcements it looks like a swamp thing film won't be made unless there is a miracle chance after 2020...

Davetello
10-31-2014, 01:34 PM
I read the first volume of Alan Moore's work and remember really enjoying it, although it was a while ago. I will have to get a hold of his entire run.

TonySiegel
10-31-2014, 02:52 PM
I read the first volume of Alan Moore's work and remember really enjoying it, although it was a while ago. I will have to get a hold of his entire run.

trust me... you will want to run through the whole series... but as you get closer to the end you won't want it to end...

superb stuff!

Davetello
11-06-2014, 02:26 PM
trust me... you will want to run through the whole series... but as you get closer to the end you won't want it to end...

superb stuff!

Thanks. I will certainly go through them in future.