PDA

View Full Version : Guilty pleasures

Wesley
10-20-2014, 10:26 AM
Anyone have any guilty pleasures in music? I like listening to some songs by Girls Aloud, Big Tom, Gwen Stefani, Taylor Swift, Lily Allen, Natsha Bedingfield and S Club 7.

Powder
10-20-2014, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't quite say I have any guilty pleasures, per se, as there's very little I'm not willing to share. Even my most gangsta ass friends know I actively listen to J-pop & other cutsie stuff that might seem strange for a dude of my stature to listen to. :trazz:

Prowler
10-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Female J-pop and K-pop singers and bands.

Blossombrooks
10-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Britney and back in the day, Hanson. I'm pretty alternative/rock usually but there's nothing wrong with dancing around the kitchen to a bit of mindless pop. :D

pennydreadful
10-23-2014, 09:24 PM
I have Backstreet's Back and Bye Bye Bye (Backstreet Boys and N'sync respectively) on my tpod. I don't have enough self-respect to be embarrassed about it though. :lol:

arkangel
10-23-2014, 11:13 PM
My ex-wife caught me a few times, silently lip singing with no music.
She literally peed her pants and I thought I'd have to call 911 as she couldn't stop laughing long enough to breathe.

I have a wide range of musical favorites from 80's big hair bands and one hit wonders to alternative and modern top 40 pop. Not a fan of anything country or rap. I also like a some of the deeper goth metal and bands like Halestorm, Evanescence, Blue October, Wallflowers, Gin Blossoms.

I'm straight, I swear.. :lol:

Gunpowder
10-23-2014, 11:42 PM
Haha, well...I'm the type of dude who loves hard rock and punk rock. Anything with heavy guitars. Yet, I also like 90's pop (Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Ace of Base, Backstreet Boys). And, hell, I even like certain musicals (Wicked, especially - and I've even gone to see that live on stage). To tell you the truth, I can adjust to basically any genre of music and find something that I like; most modern rap is absolute garbage, though.

But I usually stick to rock because I like it the most (music from certain video games, too).

Discogod
10-25-2014, 01:01 PM
I don't believe in the concept of "guilty pleasures" - if you like something, you should like it unashamedly. In my music collection, Britney Spears sits happily next to Captain Beefheart - good music is good music, no matter who made it.

That said, there are a lot of songs that I like that I wouldn't normally admit to, simply because they evoke some kind of fond memory. Gunpowder mentioned Ace Of Base - I love "All That She Wants", just because it was a huge song during a really great summer. Every time I hear it, I get a little warm feeling inside, but I'm not sure I'd really want to admit it in public...

mexichrist83
10-25-2014, 01:29 PM
I don't believe in the concept of "guilty pleasures" - if you like something, you should like it unashamedly

This is pretty much my same exact thought. I have never and would never apologize for anything (music, movies, tv shows etc) that I like. Even if I know something I like is silly, not very good or even stupid the important thing is that I can acknowledge the silliness, bad quality or stupidity of it and not have to make an excuse for genuinely liking it. I also have to take comfort in knowing that regardless of what I like there are people out their en masse that probably like way worse crap :tlol:

snake
10-25-2014, 01:54 PM
I actually enjoy Gorrilaz, but the fan base is toxic.

Type 97 Chi-ha
10-26-2014, 09:35 AM
How about "Yummy Yummy Yummy, I've Got Love In My Tummy"? Silly, maybe, but not outright stupid like "What Does The Fox Say?".

Leo656
10-26-2014, 09:06 PM
I really like A New Found Glory.

Gunpowder
10-30-2014, 10:29 PM
I really like A New Found Glory.

Nothing wrong with that at all! I love New Found Glory. Recently bought their new CD, in fact.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-12-2014, 11:11 PM
My biggest guilty pleasure in music is COoTS, and anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber or Gilbert and Sullivan. Yes, I like Broadway musical soundtracks. My two favorites are Cats and Phantom of the Opera, though I also enjoy a few songs from Avenue Q. Actually, ANY musicals!

Netkeeper
11-13-2014, 01:33 AM
Backstreet Boys. I'd listen to them all night if there wasn't a chance of someone hearing it through my headphones.

pennydreadful
11-13-2014, 02:13 PM
My biggest guilty pleasure in music is COoTS, and anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber or Gilbert and Sullivan. Yes, I like Broadway musical soundtracks. My two favorites are Cats and Phantom of the Opera, though I also enjoy a few songs from Avenue Q. Actually, ANY musicals!

Cats and PoTO are great. :D

And hey, if we're talking so-called guilt over bad music, I've got ya beat - I have all of the songs from We Wish You A Turtle Christmas on my tpod. :tlol:

shuriken
11-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Cindy Lauper is SOOOO GOOD.
Madonna too. Well, anything before 2004 at least.

MsMarvelDuckie
11-14-2014, 01:16 AM
Cats and PoTO are great. :D

And hey, if we're talking so-called guilt over bad music, I've got ya beat - I have all of the songs from We Wish You A Turtle Christmas on my tpod. :tlol:

Okay- I surrender to your superior "bad music" guilt! Although, I don't really thing the TOoOS tunes were really all that bad. Some of them were actually pretty GOOD.

joefsas
11-14-2014, 01:25 AM
'Hold on' by Wilson Phillips :lol:

pennydreadful
11-14-2014, 02:09 AM
Okay- I surrender to your superior "bad music" guilt! Although, I don't really thing the TOoOS tunes were really all that bad. Some of them were actually pretty GOOD.

:lol: That's the best part about having bad taste - you don't even really think the bad stuff is bad.

Jester
11-14-2014, 02:11 AM
I actually kinda dig Nickelback

's song Photograph.

Leo656
11-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Ooof. :lol: I actually own one of their records but I never listen to it. Whichever one they got "big" with, I can't remember off the top of my head. The one with "How You Remind Me" on it; I bought it when everyone else did. :lol:

They have a few good songs, they're just like, as produced and generic as rock music gets. I like that sometimes but some of their stuff gets old fast, and they're super-over-played. Like, even their better songs aren't THAT good that they deserve to be played as much as they are. They're not the sh*ts or anything but they are annoying.

Here's one: There's a very, very small number of Limp Bizkit songs that I like, and I love 'em. Like "Break Stuff" and "N2Gether Now". I have those two songs on a single and I officially have all the Limp Bizkit I'll ever need. :lol: They had a song called "Crack Addict" that was okay, too. On the whole, though, they're pretty awful. I'm not embarrassed to admit to much, but that's something I don't brag about, the fact I think there are two good Limp Bizkit songs. :lol:

I'm actually less-embarrassed to admit that I own four Belinda Carlisle CDs (Which, Trivia Fact, is four more than anyone not named Belinda Carlisle owns). Especially because they were free off a move job. I rarely turn down free CDs; it's gotta be straight-up crap.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-14-2014, 12:09 PM

's song Photograph.
Def Leppard's song of the same name is better

Davetello
11-20-2014, 12:37 AM
Yeah, I like Backstreet Boys as well. Have done since "I Want It That Way". Some of their stuff is actually pretty good, and easily better than most of the usual girl and boy band stuff. There are some excellent songs on the albums Millennium and Never Gone.

Some of N'Sync's stuff was good as well but I dislike Timberlake. My favourite song of theirs would be either "I'll Never Stop" or "This I Promise You".

Bon Jovi are quite good as well. Lots of people say Bon Jovi are garbage so that's possibly a guilty pleasure.

Candy Kappa
11-20-2014, 01:08 AM

same, something about them just appeal to my inner emo. :P

Zarana-X
11-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Speaking of Nickelback. I don't like them, but this parody is kinda funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn-dD-QKYN4

I guess I would add this as my guilty pleasure. I'll admit it's kinda horrible, but I find funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

Leo656
11-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Bon Jovi are quite good as well. Lots of people say Bon Jovi are garbage so that's possibly a guilty pleasure.

Jon Bon Jovi is one of my favorite artists of all time. I'm more a fan of everything up to the year 2000, the last few albums seemed more like audition pieces for the Hall of Fame than anything, but on the whole his stuff is great. :)

shuriken
11-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Here's one: There's a very, very small number of Limp Bizkit songs that I like, and I love 'em. Like "Break Stuff" and "N2Gether Now". I have those two songs on a single and I officially have all the Limp Bizkit I'll ever need. :lol: They had a song called "Crack Addict" that was okay, too. On the whole, though, they're pretty awful. I'm not embarrassed to admit to much, but that's something I don't brag about, the fact I think there are two good Limp Bizkit songs. :lol:

Ya know My way or the Highway is awesome. Plus it will forever remind me of WrestleMania 17, or as I like to call it the best one.
Also like Dakken. Ya know that fringe 80's group that sang the Song Dream Warriors from the Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors movie.

Wesley
11-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Jon Bon Jovi is one of my favorite artists of all time. I'm more a fan of everything up to the year 2000, the last few albums seemed more like audition pieces for the Hall of Fame than anything, but on the whole his stuff is great. :)

I agree. Bon Jovi was one of the first bands that I started listening to and I still think they're one of the best bands ever. Songs like Livin' on a Player and It's My Life are timeless. I would never consider them to be a guilty pleasure. No other band has made songs like that.

slashpieturtlemix
11-21-2014, 01:53 PM
I enjoy video game music and opera music. You should see the looks I get at work because of my odd combinations lol

Davetello
11-23-2014, 03:15 AM

I agree. Bon Jovi was one of the first bands that I started listening to and I still think they're one of the best bands ever. Songs like Livin' on a Player and It's My Life are timeless. I would never consider them to be a guilty pleasure. No other band has made songs like that.

Yeah, their earlier stuff was probably more classical rock, some of their later stuff became more poppy. I have heard lots of people insult the band so I wasn't sure whether they could be considered a guilty pleasure or not. I have heard some elitism regarding the band. Overall though I like their material.

I listened to the "Crossroads" album a lot as a boy. And here's a tale for you - the reason I slept through 9/11 is because I'd got up really early to go and buy a new Bon Jovi album, and when I came home I was still very tired. They must have released a new album around that time in Britain.

Leo656
11-23-2014, 02:17 PM
I really like his two solo records, "Blaze of Glory" and "Destination Anywhere". The former album is more of a "hard country" sound since it was the soundtrack to Young Guns II (incidentally, Jon has said a few times this was his personal favorite record to have done), and the latter record experiments with a bunch of different sounds that wouldn't have fit right on a regular Bon Jovi album. Like this one, this is one of my favorite songs ever, especially the lyrics; his lyrics are always great, that's partly why I like him so much. It really sounds more like a Beatles or Oasis song with the way it's arranged. He just nails it though.
orb1XjT5L2w

I don't think a lot of people heard that one because that record, to my recollection, didn't do so great.

Don Gaddis
12-08-2014, 09:16 PM
I feel a little guilty whenever listening to anything by Dead or Alive...

http://youtu.be/QBpF0NTUTnA

Hmmm– or, on second thought, maybe a lot guilty. :)

Lethal Lullaby
12-08-2014, 11:36 PM
As much as I don't like to admit, I do find myself listening to one song by Nicki Minaj called "Turn Me On." AND I do like Lil Wayne.

shuriken
12-08-2014, 11:42 PM
I have recently been drawn to Grimes.
More of a rock, blues and hip hop guy but this synth pop chick just really does it for me. I just like it. Not sure if its a guilty pleasure or not but it's different from anything that I normally listen to.
Plus her little lisp ith the cuthest thing ever
vulvMVhDqeU

Gunpowder
12-08-2014, 11:49 PM
I enjoy video game music and opera music. You should see the looks I get at work because of my odd combinations lol

Dude, I love video game music!

TMNTFOREVA
12-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Guilty pleasures, Hmmm. Eminem, hands down. Every one thinks I'm this cutesy teenage girl who only listens to Katy Perry or Demi Lovato (Even though I like them),I really like Eminem. My favorite of his was his part in "Love th Way You Lie". It was so good, I still rap along when I hear it :nod:

AT-Man
12-09-2014, 12:47 AM
I guess, as a known fan of noisy and violent music, my guilty pleasure could be any kind of monastery chanting music and overly happy teenage pop, but I don't feel any kind of shame listening to anything I like. I embrace diversity and like to show it.

Lethal Lullaby
12-09-2014, 12:48 AM
Guilty pleasures, Hmmm. Eminem, hands down. Every one thinks I'm this cutesy teenage girl who only listens to Katy Perry or Demi Lovato (Even though I like them),I really like Eminem. My favorite of his was his part in "Love th Way You Lie". It was so good, I still rap along when I hear it :nod:

I :tlove: Eminem/Marshal Mathers/Slim Shady

TMNTFOREVA
12-09-2014, 01:06 AM
I :tlove: Eminem/Marshal Mathers/Slim Shady

*gives fist bump of approval*

Brooke507
12-09-2014, 08:29 AM
I don't exactly feel guilty for liking this (We should all be able to like what we like without feeling shame) but I'm listing this here because others might view it as a guilty pleasure. I love Selena Gomez's music, especially Come and Get it. It has a cool Bollywood beat to it. I want to learn the dance.

Wesley
03-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Some of Hilary Duff's songs. Her latest album was quite good, though, imo.

Mick
03-12-2015, 06:48 PM
My guilty pleasures are blink-182, Green Day, Ke$ha, Usher, etc. Poppy stuff that you wouldn't expect me to listen to. I'm a metalhead.

senpai
03-18-2015, 09:52 PM
(We should all be able to like what we like without feeling shame)

Wise words! But I totally have French jams from the 60s on my playlist, and *cringes* Chris Brown's "Look At Me Now". I will say without shame that I have "Teach Me How To Dougie" on my phone. That song's just so funny; it can't be for real. And it's fun to sing. I only make it through the first part and then I change it.

Leo656
03-18-2015, 10:03 PM
I've gotten into Blink-182 again after hearing more of their newer stuff. They're seriously underrated, all because they used to do the goofball "frat boy" gimmick. That was like 20 years ago. And of course, once they adopted a more mature style, using more influences from The Cure and stuff like that, people yell at them for not doing the same goofy stuff they did when they were 20. They're good.

senpai
03-18-2015, 10:06 PM
I didn't know Blink-182 was still making music :teek: I don't listen to the radio often.

Leo656
03-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I missed a lot of stuff for the same reason. They broke up after their self-titled album in 2003, got back together around 2009, and came out with a record in 2011 (I think) called "Neighborhoods" that I seriously think is some of their best stuff ever. You can hardly imagine it's the same band, and yet, if you listen closely, you can hear a lot of similarities to the very earliest stuff. Dig it:
Yc_w_uIdLVU

Like, if you listen to that song and "Dammit" back to back, you can hear a ton of subtle little similarities. They recently broke up again and are, I think, moving on with a new singer/guitarist. But that's life. At least they did a lot of great stuff along the way, and not just the same record over and over.

Gunpowder
03-20-2015, 08:59 PM
Blink's awesome. I have their Enema of the State, Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, and Neighborhoods CD's (and a digital copy of their Dog Eating Dogs EP). To me, they've always had that sort of "melodic rock" sound, whether we're talkin' 2011 or 1999. It's just a lot more prominent with their recent work. I've been meaning to pick up Dude Ranch and their self-titled album, but have yet to do so...

Wesley
03-21-2015, 02:31 PM
I like a few of Kesha, Selena Gomez and Maroon 5's songs.

snake
05-06-2017, 10:16 PM
I actually enjoy Gorrilaz, but the fan base is toxic.

I have no recollection making this post or understanding why I felt Gorillaz would be considered a guilty pleasure, but I think I predicted the future. The Gorillaz fanbase is 1000 times worse than it could've been pre-Humanz.

sdp
05-06-2017, 10:36 PM
How Do I Feel? (The Burrito Song) - Hoku

qMoVIuCnhho

DestronMirage22
05-06-2017, 11:07 PM
I've always liked Talor Swifts songs, and have never told anyone.

I also really like the song Call Me Maybe.

:toops:

Krutch
05-07-2017, 09:27 AM
I have no recollection making this post or understanding why I felt Gorillaz would be considered a guilty pleasure, but I think I predicted the future. The Gorillaz fanbase is 1000 times worse than it could've been pre-Humanz.

Ain't that the truth.

plastroncafe
05-07-2017, 09:32 AM
At this stage in the game the only thing I consider a "guilty pleasure" is something I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to my mom about.

Which makes the list rather small.
I think, it might just be Trashy Fanfiction.
Both the reading, and writing of.

But...I've no issue talking about that anywhere else....so it barely qualifies.

DisKosh
05-07-2017, 10:36 AM
My guilty pleasures are blink-182, Green Day, Ke$ha, Usher, etc. Poppy stuff that you wouldn't expect me to listen to. I'm a metalhead.

Wait, why's Green Day a guilty pleasure?

Wesley
05-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Rachel Stevens. She doesn't have a great singing voice and she has never sang live, but there is just something about her voice that I love and she has good songs.

DisKosh
05-07-2017, 12:10 PM
I sometimes listen to the Bat Boy musical.

snake
05-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Wait, why's Green Day a guilty pleasure?

Pop punk as a whole is pretty embarrassing to listen to if you're not a 15 year old girl.

Except The Offspring. They're fun.

Krutch
05-07-2017, 04:03 PM
And Sum41. Good workout music :D

Storm Eagle
05-07-2017, 04:41 PM

What exactly makes the fanbase so bad?

My supposed guilty pleasure might be Meghan Trainor. I tend to actually listen to her songs in their entirety so far whenever they come on the radio.

Another guilty pleasure might be any rock band, at least as far as the black community goes. It's more or less taboo for people like us to be a fan of that genre.

snake
05-07-2017, 05:02 PM
What exactly makes the fanbase so bad?

My supposed guilty pleasure might be Meghan Trainor. I tend to actually listen to her songs in their entirety so far whenever they come on the radio.

Another guilty pleasure might be any rock band, at least as far as the black community goes. It's more or less taboo for people like us to be a fan of that genre.

They're obnoxious. Most of them seem to only be there because Gorillaz is suddenly relevant again.

Storm Eagle
05-07-2017, 05:37 PM
They're obnoxious. Most of them seem to only be there because Gorillaz is suddenly relevant again.

Well I was actually wondering what they do that makes them so bad.

snake
05-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Well I was actually wondering what they do that makes them so bad.

They force memes and swear up and down that Gorillaz can do no wrong.

Storm Eagle
05-07-2017, 10:11 PM
They force memes and swear up and down that Gorillaz can do no wrong.

Ah, those types, eh?

Netkeeper
05-08-2017, 07:29 AM
I knew a Gorillaz roleplayer

Don't ask me how that works I never roleplayed with them

Gorillaz fans are weird.

DestronMirage22
05-08-2017, 07:32 AM
The whole thing is kinda weird in the first place.

Krutch
05-08-2017, 07:38 AM
The weirdness is the appeal of it, though. But hop on their Facebook and read comments in any section: it's all just hate and nonsense. Juggalos have more civility and open minds than the current Gorillaz fanbase appear to have if their Facebook/Instagram/Youtube comments sections are anything to go by.

plastroncafe
05-08-2017, 08:13 AM
That's what's fandom has become:
People yelling loudly about how terrible a thing is.

Wesley
05-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Some Eurovision songs.

A few songs by Boyzone and Justin Timberlake.

Some songs by Westlife.

Video game music.

DisKosh
05-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Pop punk as a whole is pretty embarrassing to listen to if you're not a 15 year old girl.

I'm 24 and I still love them. I've even got Holiday as my ringtone.