PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows

ZariusTwo
10-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Remember a couple of days ago, when Spider-Man writer Dan Slott tweeted for fans to set their watch for their next Spider-Man freakout? I think the timer just went off.

Marvel Comics has released the latest of their summer 2015 teasers (via EW), and boy is this one going to get Spider-Man fans riled up.

The teaser, from artist Andy Kubert, is for The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, and features Spider-Man and Mary Jane – with a child.

Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson were originally married in the 1987 comic book Amazing Spider-Man #21. Many higher ups at Marvel, including Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada, have publicly stated that the marriage was a misstep that locked Peter Parker into a box that he could never quite get out of.

Then, in 2006, Quesada drew the controversial story arc One More Day, which saw Peter Parker sacrifice his marriage, in a deal with Mephisto, in order to save the life of Aunt May. The marriage wasn’t just undone, but history was entirely rewritten so that Peter and Mary Jane never go hitched in the first place.

And then there’s the child. To drive the severity of the issue home, Mephisto gave Peter Parker and Mary Jane a glimpse at the daughter they’d never have because they never got married. Is Renew Your Vows a look into an alternate future were Peter Parker made a different choice?

There’s also the 1990s story where Mary Jane becomes pregnant with Peter’s child, until the Green Goblin drugs her and steals the baby (‘90s comics everybody). This dangling plot thread would eventually lead to the creation of Mayday Parker – Spider-Girl – in an alternate universe where the child was born. Could this be a way for Marvel to introduce Mayday to the 616? Seems we’ll have to wait until next summer to find out.

This is the latest in a series of event teasers that Marvel has released over the past few weeks. Previous teasers include Civil War, Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies, Years of Future Past, Planet Hulk, Armor Wars, House of M, The Infinity Gauntlet,Old Man Logan, Inhumans: Attilan Rising, Ultimate Universe: The End, Age of Apocalypse and Future Imperfect.

Many are assuming that these events have some connection to the Secret Wars mega-event that was announced at New York Comic Con, but Marvel has yet to confirm those theories.

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/30/marvel-teases-spider-man-and-mary-jane-renewing-their-vows-in-su/

I want to trust them with this...but if anything, I think this does lend credibility to the rumors Marvel will just give everyone in 616 happy endings and reboot

MikeandRaph87
10-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Educated guess would be a relaunch of Spider-Girl Peter and Mary Jane's daughter. That would mean Marvel is publishing a book where they are married just not in a mainstream title.

ZariusTwo
10-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Educated guess would be a relaunch of Spider-Girl Peter and Mary Jane's daughter. That would mean Marvel is publishing a book where they are married just not in a mainstream title.

Marvel's editor has claimed the 2015 summer events are not alternate realitys and that everything is going to count, also Mayday was never a redhead, which the child in the teaser image for this is, and she's far too young here to be a superhero, so no, I think this is strictly a Spider-Man story and not leading to an out-of-continuity book.

It could be 616 will reboot and they're just tying up loose ends for their characters (I hear Daredevil is having his sight restored soon as well) before doing so.

MsMarvelDuckie
10-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Oh, please let this be true! I've been waiting for YEARS for them to fix the colossal mistake of undoing the marriage, and I'd like to think that the daughter from the OMD arc will eventually be born. This is (hopefully) good news!!

TurtleTitan97
10-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Well its about time! :D

MikeandRaph87
10-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Sorry, its just easy to be skeptical with the way the big run things. The long held rumor about the Fantastic Four being put on hiatus tuned out to be true. While I do believe you its just I don't want to get my hopes up. I though May Day Parker was in that image? How can a daughter appear out of thin air and make Peter and Mary Jane feel obligated to get married? One More Day daughter? There was the one during the messy clone saga that the waitress caused to be stillborn but I don't know about that. I only got ASM#645 to read what the whole marriage erasure was all about so I did not get the whole story or read the immediate fallout.

ZariusTwo
10-31-2014, 08:41 AM
I though May Day Parker was in that image?

We don't know if this girl is the daughter that MJ apparently miscarried in the Clone Saga, it was always implied she was abducted and not killed, which the Spider-Girl writers went with when they launched her own book, she could also be the second child Peter and MJ would have had if they had said no to Mephisto (as OMD implied MJ was pregnant via a scene where she had morning sickness)

All we know is that, according to Marvel, the events in 2015 all count and occur in "real time" as opposed to "Marvel time" (aka no sliding time-scale) that could mean a variety of things, possibly even that the events of 2007-2014 will be retconned and weaved around a timeline where Peter and MJ stayed married, their daughter would be seven years old in "real time" so just about the right age for that picture

MsMarvelDuckie
10-31-2014, 01:22 PM
If that's the case, I might actually start reading it again. I was so completely frustrated and angry when the OMIT arc effectively slapped all of us fans of the marriage in the face, that I basically stopped reading it almost completely, since it was quite obvious by then that Quesada and his current crop of writers never had any intention of getting them back together, and were simply stringing fans along to get their hopes up for an eventual reunion. The thought that a comic book's higher ups would stoop that low- basically leading the story along by the nose in their preferred direction- just really didn't sit well with me, and I've mostly given up on Spidey since then. I had HOPED that someone would eventually pick up that story thread somewhere down the road, but why did it take them THIS LONG??!! Just stupid and arrogant, IMHO. Maybe they finally caved to the tidal wave of backlash and realized the fans can't just be ignored or made to endure plot directions they don't like forever. It's about time.... :trolleye:

ZariusTwo
10-31-2014, 01:35 PM
I had HOPED that someone would eventually pick up that story thread somewhere down the road, but why did it take them THIS LONG??!!

I think the fact they've had to relaunch the book twice now has something to do with it.

It might just be something to do with the editors of the Spidey books changing hands also, with Wacker moving on to Marvel Animation, Nick Lowe took over and in no time at all we're getting things like new characters in Silk and Spider-Gwen, an increase in female-led Spider titles, Mayday returning, and now this.

Keep in mind that, as soon as Quesada was promoted to CCO and away from the EIC seat in 2011, Slott quickly removed Carlie Cooper as a love interest barely a year after she became one, and routinely 'ship-teased Peter and MJ, only interupting it with the Superior plotline, (although, in that story, he proceeded to make everyone look like a bigger tool than they were in the BND run, OMIT included), it's hard to predict where he stands on things, but if an order has come down on high to restore things, maybe Disney are concerned about the implications of a flagship brand of theirs being in leauge with Satan

MsMarvelDuckie
10-31-2014, 01:54 PM
Ah, interesting. I wasn't aware of the (I'm guessing recent) changes in the editorship and other stuff. I'm glad to hear of the new additions, and Carlie being kicked to the curb. She's nice, but I just didn't see her with him long term. I've missed quite a bit, it seems. Who is Silk? Spider-Gwen? :teek: WTF??!! I guess I may have some catching up to do now.

I'm glad to see Mayday getting her book back. I kind of liked the Spider-Girl book, as it was a nice alternate take on Peter's life. And May herself was a fun, interesting, and well-written character.

ZariusTwo
10-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Ah, interesting. I wasn't aware of the (I'm guessing recent) changes in the editorship and other stuff. I'm glad to hear of the new additions, and Carlie being kicked to the curb. She's nice, but I just didn't see her with him long term. I've missed quite a bit, it seems. Who is Silk? Spider-Gwen? :teek: WTF??!! I guess I may have some catching up to do now.

Oh yeah, just look in this section and you'll find a thread about Spider-Gwen. She's from a paralel universe where the spider bit HER, Peter became the Lizard in her reality and died fighting her, and she got blamed so she's hunted by the police. She revealed her identity to her father, and now she's helping the Spider-Men fight Morlun and the Inheritors in Spider-Verse

Silk is basically a girl who was bitten by the same Spider that bit Peter (yes, an origin retcon) and was kept locked in a building for thirteen years by Ezekiel until Peter found her. Silk and Peter, sharing the same bite and powers, develop a primal sexual attraction to each other and constantly make out (no, I am not joking)

Silk's a bit of a mary sue, and a worse one than Carlie under Slott's writing, but that may change once she's phased out of Peter's book.

I'm glad to see Mayday getting her book back. I kind of liked the Spider-Girl book, as it was a nice alternate take on Peter's life. And May herself was a fun, interesting, and well-written character.

...Oh boy...I don't think you want to know what Slott's done to her...

Basicly, he had the Inheritors kill her parents and boyfriend (although MJ and Wes's fates are left ambigious) Mayda makes it out with her brother, and then vows to break every moral rule her father had ever taught her and kill the one responsible

ZariusTwo
11-06-2014, 01:46 PM
"Renew Your Vows" is one of many realitys that will form a nation of the new Battleworld in the Secret Wars event

OoN7SyWJCJI

ZariusTwo
01-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Fans curious about this event will want to pick up a copy of Spider-Verse#2, out today, there's a story that takes place during the climax of the event (still a month or so away) and it features

Two Spider-Men trying to figure out what makes them different, one of them has a wedding ring on his finger, and the story ends with the caption "see more of one of these Spider-Men this summer"

So yeah, looking more like this isn't a reversal of the post-OMD universe, but an opportunity to provide some closure by showing what a version of that universe resembled with a married Spidey who didn't take the deal

MsMarvelDuckie
01-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Darn it. Serves me right for getting my hopes up. Glad I'm not buying them anymore- I'd just be cursing myself for spending the money.

Leo656
01-17-2015, 03:27 PM
So, basically, both DC and Marvel this year are trying to appease readers unhappy with the current direction by showing them a bunch of snippets of things they'd much prefer to see?

Comics are weird now. Things are weird when the best way they can sell you what they're doing Now is to remind you of what you'd rather see them do, things you liked a lot better 5-10 Years Ago.

MsMarvelDuckie
01-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Agreed. I lost faith in ASM after the One Moment In Time arc. Killed my interest in the "new" Spidey for the forsee-able future.

ZariusTwo
01-18-2015, 04:02 AM
Comics are weird now. Things are weird when the best way they can sell you what they're doing Now is to remind you of what you'd rather see them do, things you liked a lot better 5-10 Years Ago.

I think the modus operandi of both companies, particulary with DC's choice of wording about Convergence's purpose ("closure"), is to try and gently tell the older readership to "go away" after this so they can pursue a more youthful market, and they feel like giving you a nostalgia pop will make you feel better about the kind of yarn they're spinning now.

Good stories make me feel better, consistency of character and not outright assassination make me feel better, and a continuity I can actually follow and not put myself through mental loops trying to figure it out makes me feel like a KING.

I can only hope, given Slott's tendency to play "Mr. Set Up" that this leads to a married Spidey spin-off title

ZariusTwo
01-20-2015, 01:33 PM
"If you're an 'Amazing Spider-Man' reader, this is going to be your book," Alonso said, pointing to the teaser of a married Peter Parker and Mary Jane with a child.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58625

ZariusTwo
02-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Are the events of Spider-Man's One More Day still a raw nerve for you? Well, Marvel is about to hit on it.

On Tuesday Marvel revealed new details behind eight of the domains listed in the Secret Wars Battleworld map. While six of them were pretty spot-on to our three-part countdown (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) as to what they were, two -- The Regency and Hala Field -- came with some surprises.

The Regency was already known to be tying into Spider-Man given the promotional video with the "Renew Your Vows" teaser being connected to it, but Tuesday's reveal is that it's connected specifically to the One More Day period of Spider-Man's life. Marvel's description doesn't spoil that arc's ending, but does propose that in Secret Wars -- at least in this Battleworld domain -- that Peter Parker's deal with Mephisto may have not been made yet.

Marvel has yet to announce a series tied into this domain or this revisitation to One More Day, but in late January Amazing Spider-Man writer Dan Slott tweeted that he had just received "more" pages from Adam Kubert for a series titled Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows. Slott quickly deleted that tweet and Marvel declined to comment.

http://www.newsarama.com/23409-one-more-day-carol-corps-represent-in-new-battleworld-map-update.html

MsMarvelDuckie
02-10-2015, 12:37 AM
So they're telling us something by NOT telling us about it. Yay. I'm beyond caring at this point. They lost me as a reader for Spidey YEARS ago, and have only succeeded in insulting me as a fan since then. Thanks Quesada, you managed to utterly KILL the franchise by trying to make it "youthful and relevant"! :tcry::tmad::tgrumble::trolleye: < (The four stages of my interest in post-OMD Spidey.)

ZariusTwo
02-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Apparently it came to light yesterday from someone who talked to Slott at a convention that "Renew Your Vows" is some sort of compromise for Slott as he had been pitching for Peter and MJ's marriage to be brought back for a while now, with editorial refusing. This sounds really iffy given Slott's attitudes towards MJ and how he's written her in his run so far. And any MJ who appeared in Spider-Verse was either not given any real page time, was killed horribly, or was a generic heavy for the bad guys who got flattened with one punch. The only MJ that was given any dignity in that event was the daily strip version, which has to keep going regardless

Galactus
03-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Apparently it came to light yesterday from someone who talked to Slott at a convention that "Renew Your Vows" is some sort of compromise for Slott as he had been pitching for Peter and MJ's marriage to be brought back for a while now, with editorial refusing. This sounds really iffy given Slott's attitudes towards MJ and how he's written her in his run so far. And any MJ who appeared in Spider-Verse was either not given any real page time, was killed horribly, or was a generic heavy for the bad guys who got flattened with one punch. The only MJ that was given any dignity in that event was the daily strip version, which has to keep going regardless

Sounds about right to me. I've suspected as much since he took over the full duties of writing Amazing Spider-Man.

It's pretty clear when he gives interviews or posts on message boards that we shouldn't take a lot of what he says seriously. The debacle of "killing" Peter Parker and how he promoted that idea that he was definitely dead, not coming back and that fans would eventually forget the character should have shown everyone this.

Slott's writing does seem to favour continuity and I have a hard time believing he wouldn't at least be interested in telling one or two stories with the marriage intact. As for his portrayal of Mary Jane herself - that's always going to be tricky situation. Some might argue OMD is always going to be an elephant in the room until/unless it was reversed but it especially is an elephant in the room when Mary Jane is present in the story. The idea of still having MJ as a supporting character is laudable but how to you address that the characters should together even though the can't be? I think portraying them as incompatible is probably the only way. Better in my mind if at the time there was no chance Marvel was going to reverse their stance on the marriage.

Also I guess we're going to overlook Stan Lee wrote out the marriage in the newspaper and brought it back in Dallas-like fashion due to fan demand? On this issue I don't have any more respect for the newspaper strip than I do for Marvel itself.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-05-2015, 12:38 AM
The problem with writing them as incompatible is that they're NOT. This was pretty clear for years, even though they had their ups and downs, their brief separation, and the loss of the baby. What literally KILLED that idea was OMIT, where M-J was written COMPLETELY OOC by saying she couldn't be with him because- apparently she forgot all those years where she had supported him through EVERYTHING, her personal moments of heroism, and even the fact that she KNEW who and what he was before they ever actually met!

She is the ONLY woman who has ever been able to "keep up" with him emotionally as well as in practical terms, simply because they share so much in history, love, and interests. They ARE compatible on so many levels, at least up until that arc destroyed their relationship with an ill-considered speech from M-J about how she wanted a "normal life" with kids and all that, and couldn't have it with him, because- why?? He wanted the same things, but they had always made it work in the past (with some bumps, of course), yet suddenly she throws in the towel over what was completely out of left field for her as a character. It felt so forced, and that's the only reason they can't address it now, without admitting that the entire arc was OOC and stupid in the first place.

ZariusTwo
03-05-2015, 06:10 AM
Also I guess we're going to overlook Stan Lee wrote out the marriage in the newspaper and brought it back in Dallas-like fashion due to fan demand?

Accoring to the strip's writers, that was just a publicity stunt and the marriage was always going to come back. Stan did not agree with what Peter did in OMD, and he obviously wanted to make the strip a priority in the post-marriage age. It's worked so far. The strip has gotten more attention over the years and is now being collected from the beginning in trades from IDW. Slott even protected it from the events of Spider-Verse rather than involve anyone from the strip in it (taking a jab at the strip's slow-paced nature in the process)

As for making Peter and MJ seem incompatible...it doesn't gel because their lives have similar baggage,they have shared numerous battles together, both in the practical and the psychological sense, and that's why they understand each other the most and are very compatible, true it has been established before that it was just MJ's "selfishness" and tendency to run that keeps them apart, but these are problems MJ has triumphed over several times, to the point in one universe she was raising two children with him, one of whom was a super hero. Indeed, at the end of Spider-Verse, MC2 MJ decides to encourage her daughter to fight crime in her father's outfit mere days after his dangerous lifestyle catches up to him and leads to his death and the destruction of their house (Slott even takes a jab at the way he's treated 616 MJ when, earlier in the event, he had Mayday proclaim that MC2 MJ would "never leave Peter ever, not in his moment of greatest need")

In the newspaper strip, she's never run from Peter and has willingly jumped straight into danger to investigate Peter's enemies or to try and save him from them.

Indeed, prior to the current storyline where she is filming a b movie, MJ had not been a big component of the newspaper strip for two and a half years, she was used quite sparingly while Peter traveled to different cities (and even a foreign state) or focused on his own antics with Jameson and Doc Ock. Whenever she did appear though, it pushed the story forward in an effective manner and she was still as supportful and in-character as ever. You can take MJ out for a little while and slip her back in with no real fuss to be had from her and make readers feel assured Peter's hard work had a reward at the end. You don't need to make her the "elephant in the room", you instead just need to make her a pair of comfortable slippers

If Marvel's attempts currently are to show why Peter and MJ are "impossible" for one another, it's taken them too late to achieve it, as history, past and present, speaks for itself

MsMarvelDuckie
03-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Accoring to the strip's writers, that was just a publicity stunt and the marriage was always going to come back. Stan did not agree with what Peter did in OMD, and he obviously wanted to make the strip a priority in the post-marriage age. It's worked so far. The strip has gotten more attention over the years and is now being collected from the beginning in trades from IDW. Slott even protected it from the events of Spider-Verse rather than involve anyone from the strip in it (taking a jab at the strip's slow-paced nature in the process)

As for making Peter and MJ seem incompatible...it doesn't gel because their lives have similar baggage,they have shared numerous battles together, both in the practical and the psychological sense, and that's why they understand each other the most and are very compatible, true it has been established before that it was just MJ's "selfishness" and tendency to run that keeps them apart, but these are problems MJ has triumphed over several times, to the point in one universe she was raising two children with him, one of whom was a super hero. Indeed, at the end of Spider-Verse, MC2 MJ decides to encourage her daughter to fight crime in her father's outfit mere days after his dangerous lifestyle catches up to him and leads to his death and the destruction of their house (Slott even takes a jab at the way he's treated 616 MJ when, earlier in the event, he had Mayday proclaim that MC2 MJ would "never leave Peter ever, not in his moment of greatest need")

In the newspaper strip, she's never run from Peter and has willingly jumped straight into danger to investigate Peter's enemies or to try and save him from them.

Indeed, prior to the current storyline where she is filming a b movie, MJ had not been a big component of the newspaper strip for two and a half years, she was used quite sparingly while Peter traveled to different cities (and even a foreign state) or focused on his own antics with Jameson and Doc Ock. Whenever she did appear though, it pushed the story forward in an effective manner and she was still as supportful and in-character as ever. You can take MJ out for a little while and slip her back in with no real fuss to be had from her and make readers feel assured Peter's hard work had a reward at the end. You don't need to make her the "elephant in the room", you instead just need to make her a pair of comfortable slippers

If Marvel's attempts currently are to show why Peter and MJ are "impossible" for one another, it's taken them too late to achieve it, as history, past and present, speaks for itself

Hear, hear!! ^ I approve this post.

ZariusTwo
03-14-2015, 11:36 AM
Not really anything new, but Alonzo has said things about Renew Your Vows

"We told every writer to take full advantage of the flexibility of this event to tell the biggest, craziest stories and bring the coolest new things they could into the Marvel Universe, and to treat each issue #1 like a new jumping-on point," Alonso said. "So if you pick up something vaguely familiar at the store, like 'Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows,' you don't have to be a reader of 'Amazing Spider-Man' to hit the ground running."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/alonso-confirms-spider-man-renew-your-vows-on-the-way-part-of-secret-wars

ZariusTwo
03-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Spider-Man renews his vows on June 3rd

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/16/amazing-spider-man-renew-your-vows-will-be-last-spider-man-story

“You haven’t seen Spider-Man’s classic villains the way you know and love—I wouldn’t be surprised to see Eddie Brock as Venom in this story,” teases Slott. “Or Sergei Kravinoff as Kraven the Hunter in this story. There’s going to be a lot of bullets in the gun for things you wanted to see in a Spider-Man story that you haven’t seen in a while. This is the ultimate classic feel. This is the last Eddie Brock story. The stakes have never been higher for Peter Parker because he’s never had so much to lose. So he has never been this close to the edge. And these are the Last Days.”

Even with the return of all these long-missing classic Spidey elements, there’s also something new in the mix (besides the whole Secret Wars thing). If you’ve been following Secret Wars via Marvel’s interactive Battleworld map, you’ll notice that Renew Your Vows is set in a region of the world known as The Regency—it’s named after The Regent, the mysterious villain of Renew Your Vows. The Regent’s identity is top-secret—all that Marvel is saying about him/her is that the villain has a plan in place, and it’s one that Daredevil and Moon Knight have already fallen prey to.

As for Renew Your Vows’ role in the grand scheme that is Secret Wars, it’s Marvel’s intent to make the series—which will be the core Spider-Man book throughout the event—stand on its own two feet.

“If all you care about is Spidey,” says Slott , “it’s totally cool if you have no idea what’s going on in Secret Wars.”

But if you’re interested in the future of Spider-Man’s world after Secret Wars, Renew Your Vows is where you’ll want to go to see what’s going to make it into the new Marvel Universe.

“What I can tell you? No matter who or what or how Spider-Man comics will be made in the future—elements from this story will go on into the next incarnation,” says Slott, speaking extremely carefully. “Elements. Of this. Yes.”

ZariusTwo
03-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Solit for the June issues

THE LAST SPIDER-MAN STORY
• Not even The Amazing Spider-Man is safe from Secret Wars! In this new Marvel Universe, Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson and their daughter have to scrape by to make ends meet, but they have each other…
• Face front, True Believers. This is the one you’ve been asking for

MsMarvelDuckie
03-22-2015, 02:20 AM
Why do I keep checking your news posts? I just keep getting more and more depressed....

ZariusTwo
03-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Did you read Quesada's inane drivel he posted on Friday where he said nobody except Stan himself could top what they were doing with Spidey now? What a middle finger to DeMatties, DeFalco, and JMS.

I do find it a bit ironic he said "noone except Stan", and Stan's current work still happens to involve a married Spidey.

snake
03-22-2015, 10:10 AM
So will this jumpstart a new spidey book after Secret Wars or will Amazing just continue off of #19, which is the last Amazing issue in the solicits. I really don't think a satisfying finale can be achived in 3 issues.

Also, Stern's Spiderman is a great run if anyone didn't read it.

ZariusTwo
03-22-2015, 11:41 AM
We don't know, according to Slott, "elements" of Renew Your Vows will filter into the books after Secret Wars

In the meantime, the Spiral storyline will be continuing, and Peter will show up in Silk#5 according to the June solits, so even if they're tying up plot threads in ASM, the regular Spidey will still be kicking about at least for now.

ZariusTwo
03-22-2015, 03:28 PM
Fun fact: Dan Slott is publicly stalking me (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zarius/media/slott%20is%20stalking%20me.jpg.html):D

Leo656
03-22-2015, 03:31 PM
:lol: Damn, son.

CyberCubed
03-22-2015, 09:37 PM
That's the funniest thing I've seen in some time. :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-22-2015, 11:15 PM
Fun fact: Dan Slott is publicly stalking me (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zarius/media/slott%20is%20stalking%20me.jpg.html):D

Zarius, you are henceforth and forevermore the Angry Sock Puppet of the Technodrome! :tlol::tlol::tlol:

Jester
03-23-2015, 12:53 AM
Zarius, you are henceforth and forevermore the Angry Sock Puppet of the Technodrome! :tlol::tlol::tlol:
Should make that his User Title.

ZariusTwo
03-23-2015, 05:55 AM
It was quite the scene last night. According to the guy I collect decapitated Barbies and fingernail clippings. Made my weekend, last thing I posted before the latest permaban was "better main event than Lesnar vs Reigns" and then the thread got purged

I managed to 'cap the entire conversation though

Leo656
03-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Not gonna lie - and I'm sure that some folks will take this wrong/too harsh, but whatever - stuff like that is why I limit all my "fan" conversations to this forum. No comic boards, no wrestling boards, no movie boards, no music boards, no cartoon forums, not a damn thing. Because the more I see, the more I'm convinced that "fans" are a bunch of raving lunatics, and I can't think of too many things worse than arguing/debating with them like it's a full-time job.

This place gives me about all I can handle of that stuff. I used to go on a couple wrestling and comics forums, way waaaaaay back, but it's such a drag. I completely hate discussing my interests with other, supposedly "like-minded" people. Either they disagree with me for stupid reasons, or (kind of) worse, they "agree" with me for nonsensical reasons that make me question if we're even speaking the same language, let alone liking the same things. It's like, you'd think nerds wouldn't be such awful people, but a lot of 'em really are. :lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-23-2015, 09:07 AM
Not gonna lie - and I'm sure that some folks will take this wrong/too harsh, but whatever - stuff like that is why I limit all my "fan" conversations to this forum. No comic boards, no wrestling boards, no movie boards, no music boards, no cartoon forums, not a damn thing. Because the more I see, the more I'm convinced that "fans" are a bunch of raving lunatics, and I can't think of too many things worse than arguing/debating with them like it's a full-time job.

This place gives me about all I can handle of that stuff. I used to go on a couple wrestling and comics forums, way waaaaaay back, but it's such a drag. I completely hate discussing my interests with other, supposedly "like-minded" people. Either they disagree with me for stupid reasons, or (kind of) worse, they "agree" with me for nonsensical reasons that make me question if we're even speaking the same language, let alone liking the same things. It's like, you'd think nerds wouldn't be such awful people, but a lot of 'em really are. :lol:

Nerds give other nerds a bad name. :tgrumble:

It was quite the scene last night. According to the guy I collect decapitated Barbies and fingernail clippings. Made my weekend, last thing I posted before the latest permaban was "better main event than Lesnar vs Reigns" and then the thread got purged

I managed to 'cap the entire conversation though

Decapitated Barbies? Fingernail clippings? Dude... I want to read the conversation! :tlol:

ZariusTwo
03-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Part One (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zarius/media/slott%20is%20stalking%20me%20too.png.html)

Part Two (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zarius/media/dan%20slott%20get%20a%20life.png.html)

Part Three
(http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zarius/media/normal.png.html?filters%5Buser%5D=505873&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0)

Part Four (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zarius/media/PUNK.png.html?filters%5Buser%5D=505873&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0)

(hit the magnifying glass option to enhance)

I agree, in fact the other most frequent community I go to outright bans all this drama in their comic book threads under the mantra that we should all just enjoy the stories we like and not step on the toes of anyone who fancies this or that, which I agree with. Conversations there are healthier than they were when they started.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Part One (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zarius/media/slott%20is%20stalking%20me%20too.png.html)

Part Two (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zarius/media/dan%20slott%20get%20a%20life.png.html)

Part Three
(http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zarius/media/normal.png.html?filters%5Buser%5D=505873&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0)

Part Four (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Zarius/media/PUNK.png.html?filters%5Buser%5D=505873&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0)

(hit the magnifying glass option to enhance)

You seriously got under that guy's skin... :tlol::tlol::tlol:

CyberCubed
03-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Is it normal for a professional writer in the comic book industry to come to forums and insult people or take jabs at them like a normal forum go-er? Usually most writers I've seen on forums are either generally nice or don't interact with forums much at all. But if you didn't know that was Dan Slott his posts felt interchangeable with any other forum go-er.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
03-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Is it normal for a professional writer in the comic book industry to come to forums and insult people or take jabs at them like a normal forum go-er? Usually most writers I've seen on forums are either generally nice or don't interact with forums much at all. But if you didn't know that was Dan Slott his posts felt interchangeable with any other forum go-er.

Writers are people, too... which means that some of them potentially are jerks and make poor decisions. :trazz:

ZariusTwo
03-23-2015, 12:36 PM
Is it normal for a professional writer in the comic book industry to come to forums and insult people or take jabs at them like a normal forum go-er?

It's becoming a recurrence with Marvel's top brass on social media. Quesada and Brevroot do it too, though not as obsessively as Slott. This man has constantly posted "farewell" messages and vows to steer clear of internet drama, but is always, without fail, compelled to constantly return to the scene and try to set the record straight on misrepresentations and misinterpretations, which is well within his right if it helps clear the air, but he can afford to be the better man out of the two of us and do all that without the snark and bait. He never takes that option. Most times? Neither do I. And we both come off looking petty. I can admit to that. Will Slott? Hardly likely.

Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz, Spider-Girl's creators, on the other hand, are refreshingly pleasant to interact with online.

Leo656
03-23-2015, 09:18 PM
"Never meet your heroes..." Because they're usually just the worst kind of people. :lol:

snake
03-23-2015, 09:21 PM
We don't know, according to Slott, "elements" of Renew Your Vows will filter into the books after Secret Wars

In the meantime, the Spiral storyline will be continuing, and Peter will show up in Silk#5 according to the June solits, so even if they're tying up plot threads in ASM, the regular Spidey will still be kicking about at least for now.

What the f*ck does that even mean? So things will just change and characters won't acknowledge anything because SW is a reboot or what about battleworld? Does NYC exist on battleworld? Does Renew Your Vows take place in 616?

This event confuses me to no end.

And Leo656, Slott is no hero. He's a f*cking monster.

MsMarvelDuckie
03-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Did you read Quesada's inane drivel he posted on Friday where he said nobody except Stan himself could top what they were doing with Spidey now? What a middle finger to DeMatties, DeFalco, and JMS.

I do find it a bit ironic he said "noone except Stan", and Stan's current work still happens to involve a married Spidey.

No, I haven't, but now-a-days, I generally steer clear of Marvel's site or other comic sites, as the news is just too depressing concerning my fave Marvel characters. And yeah, that WAS a slap in the face.

It's becoming a recurrence with Marvel's top brass on social media. Quesada and Brevroot do it too, though not as obsessively as Slott. This man has constantly posted "farewell" messages and vows to steer clear of internet drama, but is always, without fail, compelled to constantly return to the scene and try to set the record straight on misrepresentations and misinterpretations, which is well within his right if it helps clear the air, but he can afford to be the better man out of the two of us and do all that without the snark and bait. He never takes that option. Most times? Neither do I. And we both come off looking petty. I can admit to that. Will Slott? Hardly likely.

Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz, Spider-Girl's creators, on the other hand, are refreshingly pleasant to interact with online.

Makes me wish JMS was still on the ASM book, or would come back and "fix" it. I'm sure he could do a decent job of unraveling the knotty mess they made of it, but I doubt he'd do it now. Seems JQ's decisions left a bad taste in JMS's mouth, and I don't blame him for that.

ZariusTwo
03-24-2015, 06:48 AM
What the f*ck does that even mean? So things will just change and characters won't acknowledge anything because SW is a reboot or what about battleworld? Does NYC exist on battleworld?

Several NYCs exist on Battleworld it seems. The ones for 616 and the Ultimate universe will even share the same island.

snake
03-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Several NYCs exist on Battleworld it seems. The ones for 616 and the Ultimate universe will even share the same island.

So it's possible Renew Your Vows Peter run could into Miguel or 616 Peter? If so, this probably takes place BEFORE Secret Wars, or whenever 616 and the other universes collide.

ZariusTwo
03-24-2015, 01:36 PM
If so, this probably takes place BEFORE Secret Wars,

At best the first issue or so is probably set before SW, but it is supposed to eventually take place in a part of Battleworld called the "Regency", named after the unknown "Regent"

ZariusTwo
03-26-2015, 09:13 AM
It's now been confirmed that Miles Morales will be part of the new Avengers roster post-Secret Wars. Where is Peter? Who knows.

ZariusTwo
04-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Oh my god Dan. Any time someone new comes to a place you dwell on that thinks you're a half-assing load of wank, you think it's me? (http://i.imgur.com/bcJgcI8.png):lol:

Am I really in the same esteemed company as RDMaQ and Doug Ernst are with you these days? Hilarity.

Leo656
04-02-2015, 02:48 PM
:lol: What a f*ckin' nerd.

Not you, him. This guy works for a corporation, and it's clear that you occupy a big place in his mind.

That's pathetic. Dude needs some 'tang.

ZariusTwo
04-02-2015, 03:34 PM
:lol: What a f*ckin' nerd.

Not you, him. This guy works for a corporation, and it's clear that you occupy a big place in his mind.

That's pathetic. Dude needs some 'tang.

He lets a lot of online dwellers get to him, it truly is a marvel how he even finds the time to write books when he's spending a lot of his time going to these hives and trying to make them his own personal echo chamber

Leo656
04-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Honestly, whenever I meet someone who's "actually" famous, they usually say they're almost never online because they don't have time. Makes sense. Successful people don't have time to Twitter their Facespace or whatever. They're busy doing stuff.

CyberCubed
04-03-2015, 12:45 AM
I really don't understand why Dan Slott browses message boards just to retaliate at people. I've literally never seen any other comic book writer actually do this.

Most of the time people in the industry get bored of forums very quickly or leave after a short time. This guy feels like he has a vendetta and an axe to grind. He actually reminds me of a lot of regular angry posters on various forums over the years who can't take a hint or know when to quit.

ZariusTwo
04-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Unfinished variant for SW#1 (http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/1425298_Secret-Wars-1-1.jpg)

BabyTurtles
04-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Unfinished variant for SW#1 (http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/1425298_Secret-Wars-1-1.jpg)

*pops in*

Is that Miles I see in the upper left corner~?

aww the kid is cute ^_^

ZariusTwo
04-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Can I just stress again how much more of a hardass newspaper strip Mary Jane is? The last few days have seen her insist she team with her husband and Black Widow to track down Hobgoblin and kick his tail, she refuses to be babysat by Natasha. Marvel could stand to take notes from how Stan and his team handle the Parkers in their world.

ZariusTwo
04-09-2015, 04:34 AM
Peter and MJ's daughter in Renew Your Vows is called Annie

So let's count the children now

-Baby Mayday from the 2009 Clone Saga remake
-Mayday and Benjy from MC2
-Mayday and Benjy from the UK Spider-Man comics
-Peter and MJ's kid from Fantastic Four: The End
-Mayday Parker from the novel "Time Storm"
-Benjy and Mary Jr. (from the future shown to Peter by the One-Above-All prior to OMD)
-Annie Parker from Renew Your Vows

ZariusTwo
04-15-2015, 06:18 AM
I seem to have made Slott incredibly paranoid, as he spent last night on CBR accusing somebody of being me just because that person had a defensive attitude similar to mine (turns out the person was someone I've interacted with in the past over on the Spidey Crawlspace forums, "Big Al", who runs several Spidey tumblr blogs)

BabyTurtles
04-15-2015, 02:06 PM
I seem to have made Slott incredibly paranoid, as he spent last night on CBR accusing somebody of being me just because that person had a defensive attitude similar to mine (turns out the person was someone I've interacted with in the past over on the Spidey Crawlspace forums, "Big Al", who runs several Spidey tumblr blogs)

Why can't you guys just agree to disagree?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
04-15-2015, 02:10 PM

Where's the fun in that? I find this freaking hilarious. Keep it up, Zarius! :kgrin:

Leo656
04-15-2015, 02:28 PM

Because "Internet" and "Nerds."

I don't think I've read any of this guy's work, ever, but he sounds incredibly paranoid and defensive and thin-skinned. People like that generally can't just "agree to disagree", especially when they're looking for a pat on the head in approval for their work. Which he clearly is, or he wouldn't spend so much time on a message board getting in pissing contests with his fans/customers.

I mean, if he's going to automatically assume that everyone who criticizes him is the same One Guy, as if that One Guy is the only one who could *possibly* find any fault with his work, then that betrays some serious personal insecurities. "You have to be X, because everyone else likes me!" :lol: Yeah, that's wacky.

This is why I mostly avoid fan forums and especially stuff about comic books. Like, if I ever interacted with Dan Jurgens and somehow it turned out he was a jerk (in truth, by all accounts he's a real classy fella), that would just ruin so many things, for me. :lol:

BabyTurtles
04-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Because "Internet" and "Nerds."

I don't think I've read any of this guy's work, ever, but he sounds incredibly paranoid and defensive and thin-skinned. People like that generally can't just "agree to disagree", especially when they're looking for a pat on the head in approval for their work. Which he clearly is, or he wouldn't spend so much time on a message board getting in pissing contests with his fans/customers.

I mean, if he's going to automatically assume that everyone who criticizes him is the same One Guy, as if that One Guy is the only one who could *possibly* find any fault with his work, then that betrays some serious personal insecurities. "You have to be X, because everyone else likes me!" :lol: Yeah, that's wacky.

This is why I mostly avoid fan forums and especially stuff about comic books. Like, if I ever interacted with Dan Jurgens and somehow it turned out he was a jerk (in truth, by all accounts he's a real classy fella), that would just ruin so many things, for me. :lol:

man....if I ever made a comic (which I plan too)

I am so avoiding forums........and tumblr. (especially tumblr) XD

ZariusTwo
04-15-2015, 03:12 PM
man....if I ever made a comic (which I plan too)

I am so avoiding forums........and tumblr. (especially tumblr) XD

I second that. Poor Jason Latour (writer of Spider-Gwen) tried kissing up to Tumblr recently. He sort of got a "pet the dog" reaction, and they went right back to criticizing his work, all while saying "you're really a nice guy, BUUUUUUUT...."

Leo656
04-16-2015, 12:27 AM
Kinda why a lot of wrestlers don't have FB, or those that do only go on to share tweets or do promotional stuff. When I was green, I'd be like, "You don't use FB to interact with your fans?" And literally everyone was like, "Why would I ever do that? That's horrible, that's like the last thing I'd ever want to do, is talk about work with people who don't know anything about it, but think they know everything about it." :lol:

Fast forward a few years, and Point F*cking Taken is my answer to that. That thick-ass barrier between fans and creators/performers in any field of entertainment is there for some pretty good reasons.

CyberCubed
04-16-2015, 12:33 AM
Why is Dan Slott focusing one a specific forum anyway? I mean you could literally type, "Dan Slott sucks" or "Dan slott is a terrible writer" on google and see what comes up on dozens of different forums from different people. Why is he so focused on one specific point of the internet?

I mean every comic book writer has been criticized by someone somewhere, even the critically acclaimed people.

Leo656
04-16-2015, 12:44 AM
Apparently, I share my name (or very similar ones) with several porn stars, so yeah, don't Google me. :lol:

I kind of like that. I've Googled myself a couple times for fun, same as anyone. Always the same result. "Ahhhh, nobody cares. GOOD." :lol:

ZariusTwo
04-16-2015, 04:52 AM
Why is Dan Slott focusing one a specific forum anyway? I mean you could literally type, "Dan Slott sucks" or "Dan slott is a terrible writer" on google and see what comes up on dozens of different forums from different people. Why is he so focused on one specific point of the internet?

I mean every comic book writer has been criticized by someone somewhere, even the critically acclaimed people.

He occasionally posts on Comic Vine sometimes, and he was a member of Crawlspace for a few months into the beginning of his tenure on Spidey before he requested his account be deactivated. CBR's just the easiest place to frequent because they're already tied closely with the creative forces in the industry and it means easier access for things like interviews and other insights.

MsMarvelDuckie
04-16-2015, 03:32 PM
Apparently, I share my name (or very similar ones) with several porn stars, so yeah, don't Google me. :lol:

I kind of like that. I've Googled myself a couple times for fun, same as anyone. Always the same result. "Ahhhh, nobody cares. GOOD." :lol:

Don't feel bad, Leo. When I Googled myself a few years back, I got- a duck preserve in Victoria, Australia.... So, there- it's out now. I am officially, a duck sanctuary.

ZariusTwo
04-20-2015, 05:04 PM
http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/146/478/original/AM_SM_RYV_3.jpg

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #3

DAN SLOTT (w) • ADAM KUBERT (a/C)

VARIANT cover by Sara PICHELLI

• The most controversial Spider-Man story of the year continues!

•There are some lines Spider-Man won’t cross. Right?

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Shred Head
04-23-2015, 12:59 AM
The black costume the whole crossing lines because he's angry thing. We had this before with the story that came before OMD. Why do I get a feeling this is going to be one of those anti-marriage propaganda books. I'll buy it but I am really losing faith in this thing being what I want it to be.

ZariusTwo
04-27-2015, 05:15 AM
http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/2015/04/26/spider-man-news-from-c2e2/#more-48302

A lot of information coming out from this on Spider-Verse and Renew Your Vows.

From what I read of Renew Your Vows, it appears Peter and MJ are trying to keep Peter's double-life a secret from their daughter (makes sense, they did the same when Mayday was younger, with Mayday finding out via eavesdropping when she was much older). Also the daughter will "not be what you expect", and Mary Jane will even instruct Peter to don the black costume she's often been depicted as being afraid of.

snake
04-27-2015, 03:18 PM
Zarius, does Crawlspace have a good community? I'm thinking of joining.

ZariusTwo
04-27-2015, 04:44 PM
Zarius, does Crawlspace have a good community? I'm thinking of joining.

Speaking as someone permanently banned from there...

...Yes.:)

(You'll love Big Al btw)

ZariusTwo
04-28-2015, 04:53 PM
dZwL6DSK4nM

ZariusTwo
05-06-2015, 09:43 AM
Spider-Mandate interview with Nick Lowe

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/spider-mandate-lowe-talks-spidey-friends-on-the-edge-of-secret-wars

In "Renew Your Vows" Dan is, in a way, taking where "Brand New Day" started and taking it down a different road. But a lot of the stuff he's been doing in "Amazing Spider-Man" resonates in there and it's going to have a lot of lasting effects in the future of Spider-Man.

On Silk, Spider-Woman, and Spider-Gwen

Well "Secret Wars" is everything, no matter what. Everything ends with "Secret Wars." We haven't quite revealed the full extent of how all these things work, but nothing is safe, no one is safe. With "Spider-Gwen" it's more than just a break. "Silk" and "Spider-Woman" you're going to wait and see how they interact, but we're just getting started with "Secret Wars." You've only solicited the first two months of it. At Marvel we like to let these books shape what we do rather than get to crazily lockstep into everything happens at once, this one month everything changes! We haven't played all of our cards yet -- and this is going to sound ominous and it probably should -- but nobody is safe. It doesn't matter what's going on. Our biggest mantra is, and this is true, "Everything ends with 'Secret Wars.'" When we come out the other side it's going to be different. Everything is going to be different. I wish I could tell you more, but that's all I feel comfortable saying right now.

ZariusTwo
05-08-2015, 05:47 AM
http://i60.tinypic.com/2w6vqyp.jpg

ZariusTwo
05-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Renew Your Vows preview (http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/amazing-spider-man-renew-your-vows-1-marvel-comics-2015)

Father. Husband. Hero. The Amazing Spider-Man isn’t safe from the Secret Wars – and neither are you! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #1, from blockbuster creators Dan Slott and Adam Kubert! Trust us, you have to read this to believe it! Prepare for the next evolutionary step in Peter Parker’s life as the Parker family faces Battleworld…together. Peter, Mary Jane and their daughter may not have much, but they have each other. Even as his city is torn asunder by a mysterious new villain, the safety of Peter’s wife and daughter comes first. But who is this mysterious “Regent” who has claimed the lives of so many heroes? How long till Spider-Man and his family are in his crosshairs? This is the story you’ve been waiting for. No fan can afford to miss the seismic AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #1 when it explodes into comic shops this June!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/Amazing-Spider-Man-Renew-Your-Vows-1-Preview-4-7a384.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/Amazing-Spider-Man-Renew-Your-Vows-1-Preview-3-9fdc7.jpg

ZariusTwo
05-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Renew Your Vows is the top comic in the advance re-order retailer market

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/14/all-your-advance-reorders-are-belong-to-secret-wars/

ZariusTwo
05-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Spider-Man fans who enjoy Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson's relationship will get a series for themselves which features the pair's everyday life with their daughter Annie. Things will go awry when their domain leader, Regent, goes after Peter's family, forcing him to go underground. "It's a great adventure story but also a great story about Peter and Mary Jane," said Amanat, who also teased that Venom will appear in the series

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/acbc-marvel-looks-beyond-secret-wars-towards-the-aftermath

ZariusTwo
05-19-2015, 04:19 PM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/0/1/ASMRENEW2015004-470ea.jpg

Annie in Action

ZariusTwo
05-28-2015, 03:13 PM
http://www.newsarama.com/24666-peter-s-daughter-annie-dead-superheroes-in-amazing-spider-man-renew-your-vows-1-preview.html

Preview

MikeandRaph87
05-28-2015, 03:20 PM
What is the release date?

Also, the marriage is returning just for this one shot, correct?

ZariusTwo
05-28-2015, 04:18 PM
What is the release date?

Also, the marriage is returning just for this one shot, correct?

-It's out next week

-It's not a one shot, it's a series that will spread across the entire summer

-Slott says "elements" of this story will remain in place after Secret Wars. He did'nt specify if that meant just the daughter carrying over or the marriage and daughter.

-For all this talk of the marriage "returning", it's never really went anywhere. The newspaper strip kept the two together consistently over the seven years it's been absent from the regular continuity

ZariusTwo
06-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Renew Your Vows is out tomorrow, here's an advance review from Newsarama

One More Day stands as one of the most reviled retcons in comics history because it erased what seemed like the most functional relationship in the entire Marvel Universe. To most fans, Peter and Mary Jane’s marriage was a sacred, untouchable constant up there with Uncle Ben being dead. Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows revisits those halcyon days as if that deal with Mephisto was never struck, but not everything is as you’d remember it. All-star creative team Dan Slott and Adam Kubert deliver a pretty effective throwback tale that sets some pretty high stakes moving forward. It’s been a little while since even the proper Amazing Spider-Man title had this much energy, and that’s definitely saying something.

That said, this issue does start off a bit rocky. The tone is a far cry from what we’ve seen in the post-One More Day Spidey Universe, because the focus is so different. It’s been so long since we’ve seen these characters in this kind of setting that even Dan Slott needs a few pages to really establish their voices. But the heart of the title remains the same - “With great power comes great responsibility.”

And there’s something refreshing about seeing Peter Parker not bumbling around, unable to juggle his personal life and his superhero obligations. That’s not to say that he doesn’t struggle with it, but he seems to have much more poise and resolve than the Peter we’re used to. It’s that slight change in his character that fuels this issue and leads to its conclusion that opens the door for a very heroic return to form. There are a few points where the plot drags a little bit and scenes are stretched to facilitate some tension in the script. And there’s a moment with MJ that sees her hitch onto a speeding fire truck while holding baby in one arm which seems a bit unbelievable, but I mean, we’re already believing a man can get spider-powers.

What really keeps the nostalgia train chugging along is Adam Kubert’s art. One thing I noticed was that Kubert seem to be channeling John Romita, Jr., a little bit in some of his character renderings and it worked really well as a call back to one of the most popular eras of Spidey comics. His renderings and panel compositions are a bit looser than we’ve seen from him lately, but inker John Dell sharpens them with incredible precision when needed. The biggest knock on Kubert is that he can’t for the life of him draw a baby consistently, but that’s (unfortunately) most artists. Given the rough start with the more domestic scenes, I was pleased to see Kubert really nail the action sequences. The first time we see Spider-Man barrel through a glass window is a moment full of power and desperation, exactly what is needed for that scene.

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows could have been campy fan service, but it avoids that with an almost-twist ending. That sets the stage for what’s to come in a big way. Dan Slott and Adam Kubert took a good approach to this one and executed very well. Minor hiccups abound, but they’re not enough to take you out of the story or affect the readability of the issue. While it’s hard to gauge how important these miniseries are to the main narrative, some of them have undeniably been fun, and Renew Your Vows is no different.

http://www.newsarama.com/24698-best-shots-advance-review-amazing-spider-man-renew-your-vows-1.html

ZariusTwo
06-03-2015, 11:24 AM
I've read the issue, and it was a lot of fun.

Peter essentially abandons the Avengers to take care of MJ and Annie when Eddie Brock breaks out of Ryker's prison. After a massive battle across the city, and with an assist from MJ, Peter traps Eddie inside a burning building and brings the whole thing down on him, seemingly killing him. Peter decides to retire as Spider-Man when all of the Avengers are killed by Augustus Roman, aka The Regent, who has transformed himself into a powerhouse armed with all the abilities of mutants and heroes alike.

Flash-forward a few years later, and Peter is helping Annie learn to walk across the street. He spots The Vulture stealing someone's purse, but decides not to do anything about it. He has a greater responsibility. The Regent is revealed to be overlord of the entire domain

MikeandRaph87
06-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Just finished reading it. Who is Regent exactly?

Could we be seeing Eddie Brock back as Venom?

ZariusTwo
06-04-2015, 03:55 AM
Just finished reading it. Who is Regent exactly

Regent is Augustus Roman, who'd been killing all of the super-powered and non-powered heroes and had been harvesting their remains to make himself a super-powered Adaptoid-like creature with all of their abilities, and he has taken over the domain that Peter, MJ, and Annie are in. Peter is the last surviving superhero of this part of Battleworld

ZariusTwo
06-08-2015, 06:32 AM
Renew Your Vows#2 has been pushed back to July, with Issues 3 and 4 scheduled for August.

MikeandRaph87
06-08-2015, 06:49 AM
Renew Your Vows#2 has been pushed back to July, with Issues 3 and 4 scheduled for August.

Thanks for the heads up. Any reason given?

ZariusTwo
06-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Any reason given?

None.

Ironically, the last time a Spidey event like this was held back was OMD:lol:

RYV#1 came in at number four on the best-sellers list for last week, topped only by Star Wars comics and Secret Wars#3. That's an encouraging sign.

MsMarvelDuckie
06-08-2015, 09:03 PM
If this becomes a permanent thing, I may actually start reading Spidey books gain. Gawds, it's been soooo long.... :tgrumble::tcry:

ZariusTwo
06-13-2015, 04:12 AM
While we're waiting for more adventures from Peter, MJ, and Annie, let's check in on what his original daughter Mayday's been up to since her father was killed in Spider-Verse, as the preview pages for the Secret Wars Spider-Island tie-in came out yesterday

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11113/111135706/4622737-2471232014-SWSPI.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11113/111135706/4622736-8643863015-SWSPI.jpg

Keep in mind, Tom DeFalco hinted in the Spider-Verse tie-ins this is actually an alternative version of Mayday and that the "original" was not affected by Spider-Verse (although Dan Slott is actually upset about this and has been claiming it's supposed to be the real Mayday, it's really up to the reader)

ZariusTwo
06-15-2015, 01:28 PM
More drama on CBR

https://zaredit.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/cbrs-ageist-attitudes-to-marriage-fans-a-preservation/

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2015, 01:46 PM
More drama on CBR

https://zaredit.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/cbrs-ageist-attitudes-to-marriage-fans-a-preservation/

Proudly Unapproved by Dan Slott. :tlol:

Even though I know practically nothing about Spiderman, I'm REALLY tempted to join that forum and pretend to be you, just to get a rise out of Slott and keep the drama going. I doubt I could pull it off, though... Spiderman is the one comic character I know the least about. :tlol:

ZariusTwo
06-15-2015, 02:12 PM
ROFL, and then, once Dan tries pointing you out to the forum members, I could re-register just to say below him "psst...Dan, OVER HERE" (rasp):lol:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2015, 02:17 PM
ROFL, and then, once Dan tries pointing you out to the forum members, I could re-register just to say below him "psst...Dan, OVER HERE" (rasp):lol:

Alright, we TOTALLY need to do this now. :tcool:

Tell ya what, next time you feel like posting on there, PM me first, send me the link and a rough idea of what you want me to say (in case I'm too uninformed to have an opinion of my own), and then I'll make it happen. Crap will hit the fan and we'll both have a grand ol' time. Sound good? :tgrin:

Although... how do we know ol' Slotthead ain't stalking you here and reading this very conversation!? :teek:

ZariusTwo
06-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Might be a while before I can go back, my IP address got banned also, but that usually never lasts and clears up in about a few weeks.

Tell you what, when I come back, I'll register twice, one account will be my latest stab at staying long-term, and the other account will be used to troll Dan once you start posting.

Although... how do we know ol' Slotthead ain't stalking you here and reading this very conversation!? :teek:

If he is then I'll just leave this here...

...Hi Dan:)

As you can see, we're not playing with dolls.

We're playing...with minds

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Might be a while before I can go back, my IP address got banned also, but that usually never lasts and clears up in about a few weeks.

Tell you what, when I come back, I'll register twice, one account will be my latest stab at staying long-term, and the other account will be used to troll Dan once you start posting.

If he is then I'll just leave this here...

...Hi Dan:)

As you can see, we're not playing with dolls.

We're playing...with minds

This is gonna be awesome. :tlol:

BabyTurtles
06-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Guys is this necessary?

why not be the bigger man....or women and let it go? Messing with people isn't right.

Leo656
06-15-2015, 10:07 PM
I don't even read any of the sh*t this guy writes, and I want to beat the sh*t out of him just for being a c*nt. Holy sh*t, what an insufferable prick.

Must be nice to write/edit "fanfic" for a living. :roll: Real important, life-affirming work there. Especially when you pride yourself on pissing off everyone who liked GOOD stories over the apparent dreck you're responsible for. "I'm the KING of the NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS!!!"

Decades of steady going, a solid comic franchise, nobody complains... the Powers-That-Be decide "No, no, comics aren't dying b/c they're INSANLY overpriced for something so inherently vapid and worthless! NO, people don't buy comics because they're BORING and PREDICTABLE! The status quo needs to be wiped out! Until sales dip MORE b/c we've pissed off the entire established fanbase with our arbitrary 'Change Is Good, Evolve Or Die' nonsense, in which case, we'll do a 180 and market ourselves as 'Classic' and 'Back-To-Basics'! Meanwhile, anyone who just liked stuff the way it was (i.e. 'Good' and 'Proven To Satisfy')? THEY JUST FEAR CHANGE!"

That could be Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern... that could be damn near ANY book, now.

Do editors not pay attention? The "boring, stale" status quo is what brings in consistent (and consistently happy) readers. Not as many as the corporate masters would prefer, but f*ck, these things are like $4-5 an issue now, and in no way at all worth it. When they do these "shocking and new" gimmicks, they get a bump at first and then everyone gets bored and leaves. Then they get desperate to bring the old readers back and make everything "how it's supposed to be" again.

People like what they like, and they like what they know and are familiar with. They shouldn't be demonized for that. These "writers" and editors are just arrogant and in love with their own ideas. Blech.

ZariusTwo
06-16-2015, 03:56 AM
He responds!

https://zaredit.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/cbrs-ageist-attitudes-to-marriage-fans-a-preservation/comment-page-1/#comment-5

..And he was surprisingly civil.

I think in light of this, I probably won't go with my plan to mess with his head after all, not unless he goes off on one with me again. I like to think he's watching his step with me because he knows I like to screen-grab moments where he's out of line and display them on the 'net.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-16-2015, 08:31 AM
He responds!

https://zaredit.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/cbrs-ageist-attitudes-to-marriage-fans-a-preservation/comment-page-1/#comment-5

..And he was surprisingly civil.

I think in light of this, I probably won't go with my plan to mess with his head after all, not unless he goes off on one with me again. I like to think he's watching his step with me because he knows I like to screen-grab moments where he's out of line and display them on the 'net.

Well, if it does happen and you feel a need to go all out, lemme know. But man, sock puppets... that's just insulting.

Now, sock monkeys! Those are cool.

ZariusTwo
06-16-2015, 11:30 AM
http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/149/900/original/ASMRNV2015005cov.jpg

MsMarvelDuckie
06-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Now that cover looks intriguing. M-J with a rebar, now THAT's the M-J I remember!

ZariusTwo
06-17-2015, 03:28 AM
Here's another variant cover for September's issue.

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/AmazingSpider-ManRenewYourVows5-VariantCover.jpg

...By Joe Quesada

Shred Head
06-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Here's another variant cover for September's issue.

http://www.spidermancrawlspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/AmazingSpider-ManRenewYourVows5-VariantCover.jpg

...By Joe Quesada

Thats Joe Quesada it looks more like Nick Bradshaw to me.

ZariusTwo
06-17-2015, 01:58 PM
...Hmm, might be right. Some mistook it for Quesada on blogs so I got confuzzled.

MikeandRaph87
06-22-2015, 11:13 AM
What is this about Amazing Spider-Man being cancelled? What was the last issue to be put out? Its on my pull list and I as unaware of it being cancelled so soon. I kept my subscription going after Superior Spider-Man finished but if Miles Morales is going to be the lead even if Peter is married I will not continue to pull it.

Shred Head
06-22-2015, 11:37 AM
What is this about Amazing Spider-Man being cancelled? What was the last issue to be put out? Its on my pull list and I as unaware of it being cancelled so soon. I kept my subscription going after Superior Spider-Man finished but if Miles Morales is going to be the lead even if Peter is married I will not continue to pull it.

Its not cancelled well it is actually everything is. After Secret Wars everything is getting a new number one. Miles wont be in Amazing Spider-Man he's going to be in Spider-Man. As for Amazing it hasn't been announced but I'm pretty sure its going to be the core book with Peter as Spider-Man. Pretty much its like Spider-Man 2099 there will be two Spider-Men running around. Thats at least a guess for me.

Bry
06-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Hoo boy, was Dan Slott up to his old tricks again? I mean, I do like some of his work -- though I think he's a better "idea man" than he is in executing those ideas a lot of the time... just my opinion -- but his behaviour online always leaves a really bad taste and I pretty much avoid his work now because of it. (I know I probably shouldn't even post this, but... ehh, there it is.)

I know he deals with a lot of trolling and harassment online, and I know that some comic fans can be pretty obnoxious... but he can't be surprised that he'd be exposed to that sort of thing considering he's writing one of the most popular characters of all time during one of the most controversial eras of his history. I can't fault anyone for responding in kind if they're attacked. But a lot of the time, that's not what's happening - he seems to actively seek out any and every form of criticism, especially conversations he's not tagged or involved in, and get into online slap-fights with regular fans. It's really thin-skinned and childish, and that's just not a good look for a professional creator. Unless people are coming directly at him, he really should just brush it off. I think everyone would be happier and more peaceful for it.

ZariusTwo
06-22-2015, 04:11 PM
I'm in agreement with that, precisely why I took that specific blog update down. I really want to enjoy Renew Your Vows while it lasts and give him a chance to tell the story he wants to tell, rather than get irked at it.

Marvel have kept quite mum on what happens to Peter. I think they're going to let sales for this decide what they want to do with him.

MikeandRaph87
06-22-2015, 05:07 PM
Whatever happened to that sidekick that appeared in a storyarc just before ASM#600? Perhaps Miles could take that character's place or at least call himself Spider-Boy.

I guess the marriage will return but Peter will be advisor? No daughter. What about Eddie Brock back as Venom? Hopefuly twin titles and people can buy what they want. Like most people here I will buy Peter Parker in Amazing Spider-Man only. Hopefully a married one at that.

ZariusTwo
06-23-2015, 04:11 AM
Whatever happened to that sidekick that appeared in a storyarc just before ASM#600?

That was Alpha and that was before the Superior arc kicked off in Issue 700. Nobody liked him and he hasn't been relevant since then.

If DC could afford two Flashes, and a galaxy of Green Lanterns, there's space for Miles and Peter to both be called Spider-Man. Ditto for Miguel if he's still around.

I guess the marriage will return but Peter will be advisor? No daughter.

It's rather obvious Annie is sticking around after RYV. If the marriage is coming back, it's got to be different than what it's previously been. Adding a daughter gives us that difference.

ZariusTwo
06-25-2015, 02:56 AM
Very interesting article here talking about plagiarism on Marvel's part for a variety of developments in the last decade or so of Spider-History

https://thespidermanfiles.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/the-last-spider-man-story/

Jester
06-25-2015, 03:16 AM
Marvel and Weird Al...not sure if I can take this seriously.

Shred Head
06-26-2015, 02:05 AM
Very interesting article here talking about plagiarism on Marvel's part for a variety of developments in the last decade or so of Spider-History

https://thespidermanfiles.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/the-last-spider-man-story/

He sounds like a crazy man with a really bad fanfic. Although I probably could buy Dan Slott ripping him off. His comics seem like terrible fanfiction 90% of the time. But really I stopped taking this thing seriously the second he started throwing out Christianity and God writing through him and He-Man and bestiality. WTF did that have to do with anything.

ZariusTwo
06-26-2015, 12:48 PM
I'm used to these type of war stories from pretty wacky creators so the personal bias did'nt bother me as much and I skimmed over when he got cranky, but I was quite curious about any of the arguments that might have existed on the Crawl Space prior to the purge, but all the screen caps there were talked about Spidey's weapons:ohwell:

ZariusTwo
06-30-2015, 09:02 AM
Good news folks[/sarcasm alert]

So you know how everyone got excited for the prospect of a web-swinging hero juggling superhero life with the additional responsibilities of raising a kid? Well starting this October, you get your wish....

....WITH SPIDER-WOMAN

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CItv7AbWIAASSIw.jpg

What? You were expecting Peter? Nah, instead you're getting this bollocks

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111135706/4658017-6270599072-jbm55.jpg

MikeandRaph87
06-30-2015, 10:46 AM
So Miles stars in Spider-Man while Peter Parker stars in Amazing Spider-Man? I also am curious how many issue are in the renumbered Amazing title so I know if I got them all as its on my pull list.

ZariusTwo
06-30-2015, 10:48 AM
So Miles stars in Spider-Man while Peter Parker stars in Amazing Spider-Man? I also am curious how many issue are in the renumbered Amazing title so I know if I got them all as its on my pull list.

I give it twenty-six issues at most, that's how long the last volume lasted (if you count the .point issues), Marvel confirmed they treat their books like average television seasons now.

ZariusTwo
07-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Preview of Issue Two (http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/amazing-spider-man-renew-your-vows-2-marvel-comics-2015)

ZariusTwo
07-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Marvel may have to start doing some serious thinking regarding their attitudes to the Spider-Marriage sometime in the next couple of years as RYV#1 does big business for the month of June.

www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/06/marvel-opens-up-over-15-point-marketshare-lead-over-dc-in-june-2015-as-renew-your-vows-indicates-desire-for-a-return-to-watson-parker-marriage/

Bry
07-06-2015, 11:09 AM
They had such a golden opportunity to use the reality-altering shenanigans of Secret Wars to quickly undo "One More Day" and give Spidey fans the best of both worlds: a grown-up, married Peter Parker alongside a young, single Miles Morales. Marvel's very invested in Miles, so that's really the perfect setup - it helps set them apart and feel like neither's superfluous.

Instead, we're looking at even more reliance on stunts and crossovers to keep bumping Amazing Spider-Man's sales every time they start slipping again. And mostly because nobody involved is willing to admit that "One More Day" was a mistake?

ZariusTwo
07-06-2015, 12:10 PM
They had such a golden opportunity to use the reality-altering shenanigans of Secret Wars to quickly undo "One More Day" and give Spidey fans the best of both worlds: a grown-up, married Peter Parker alongside a young, single Miles Morales. Marvel's very invested in Miles, so that's really the perfect setup - it helps set them apart and feel like neither's superfluous.

Instead, we're looking at even more reliance on stunts and crossovers to keep bumping Amazing Spider-Man's sales every time they start slipping again. And mostly because nobody involved is willing to admit that "One More Day" was a mistake?

They've said publicly that they liken OMD to "bad, but necessary medicine". Not sure who it was more necessary for...more the wants and desires of a finite regime who can't concern themselves with real relationship drama worth a darn I'd say.

They're a stubborn bunch indeed. They should take a gander at what happens whenever DC admit to a mistake...usually when that happens with them we get some great stories out of it. Even as recently as the Convergence event we got some strong closure on the pre-Flashpoint characters in their tie-ins even if the main book was a bit "eh"

Acknowledging the elephant in the room that was Mayday (even if it was via an AU title which had the same continuity to a point) led to Spider-Girl's decade long run and amassed, for it's time, the strongest cult following for any female superhero in Marvel's history. These days, Mayday has been surpassed in that regard by Spider-Gwen, but it goes to show you what addressing nagging omissions can do. Fans appreciate being rewarded with things like that.

ZariusTwo
07-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Issue Two spoilers

Part Two is called "...BECAUSE WE SAID SO OK?" (complimenting part one's "Why We Can't Have Nice Things")
Annie has a nightmare about Venom, as does Peter. Annie's DNA encoded power inhibitor goes on the blink, which panics the Parkers. Later, MJ takes Annie to school and tells her not to pick a fight and expose herself even if she feels it is the right thing to do. Peter takes photos of a fight between the Superior foes and a resistant D-Man. D-Man is observed by Mockingbird and someone else, who call in their h.q requesting permission to recruit D-Man but are told to hold off. D-Man is defeated and taken to the Regent.

Regent hears that there is a kid at Annie's school exhibiting high power levels and deploys the Superior foes, but it's revealed it is not Annie they are after, but Power Pack. Peter and MJ hear about what's going on and race to the school to rescue Annie. Peter, in a hoodie, keeps the foes at bay while Power Pack, MJ, and Annie flee.

The Regent hears of the setback and decides to bring in the Sinister Six: Hobgoblin, Vulture, Kraven, Doc Ock, Mysterio and Shocker.

Back at the Parkers, MJ instructs Peter to use the black costume and stick close to the shadows. Annie is freaked out, but Peter assures her he will do everything to keep their family safe

ZariusTwo
07-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Overall number for RYV#1: 203 K.

...That is more than orders for the likes of previous mega hits from Slott's pen, including Superior Spider-Man and Spider-Verse.

Marvel would have to be both stubborn and stupid to sit on success like this. We've got a whole summer to go, so we'll see how much this generates by story's conclusion, but it's a very good sign for the marriage.

ZariusTwo
08-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Another solid issue with Issue Three of RYV

I liked MJ’s semi-lie to Annie that Peter’s never failed also. I say “semi-lie” because I interpreted like this: Despite failing at times to save loved ones and even give up on his web-swinging, Peter always rose above those setbacks and answered the call, and by surviving all of that to acheive a wife and a daughter and to maintain family life under this police state for an endless amount of years, he truly has succeeded in a karmic kind of way, at least for now. I don’t know if Dan intended for this scene to play out this way or not, as he tends to have an idea of how to present something and cuss people out (like Crawlspace.com's RDMaQ and StillaNerd) when they see something else entirely, but since I’m singing his praises, I don’t think he’ll mind my own unique view this time, rofl.

Peter taking out Ock and Hobgoblin was boss. The kind of assertiveness we see so little of in the mainstream version

Galactus
08-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Overall number for RYV#1: 203 K.

...That is more than orders for the likes of previous mega hits from Slott's pen, including Superior Spider-Man and Spider-Verse.

Marvel would have to be both stubborn and stupid to sit on success like this. We've got a whole summer to go, so we'll see how much this generates by story's conclusion, but it's a very good sign for the marriage.

I think they actually are very stupid and stubborn on the marriage issue. I think they'll stick to their guns rationalizing that whatever sales boost they get in restoring the marriage will taper off so why not tease bringing it back so you can get the same sales boost and it's a card you can play multiple times.

I wouldn't be surprised if Annie making her way to the regular Amazing Spider-Man continuity post-secret wars was okay-ed with that in mind. That and also (despite you're issues with him) I think Slott does legitimately feel he has a worthy story laid out.

Using Secret Wars to restore the marriage (as some fans hoped) does kind of devalue a lot of the recent history. While I'll always feel that the method for erasing the marriage was terrible and will always be an elephant in the room but the act itself didn't impact much on the characters history (just swap wife for long term partner) but putting it back as if it was never erased does devalue a lot of Post OMD stories and I don't think Marvel is willing to do that.

Of course I could be wrong and this time next year Marvel will listen and restore the marriage with some catch-all explanation that they were separated during BND and Slott's run. That'd be...acceptable.

ZariusTwo
08-06-2015, 09:51 AM
I think Slott does legitimately feel he has a worthy story laid out.

Back on Facebook, he would leave me private chat messages telling me to stop being so negative and to "wait the story out". That was back in 2014, and he did sort of clue me in to Renew Your Vows a month or so before it was announced last year.

Using Secret Wars to restore the marriage (as some fans hoped) does kind of devalue a lot of the recent history. While I'll always feel that the method for erasing the marriage was terrible and will always be an elephant in the room but the act itself didn't impact much on the characters history (just swap wife for long term partner) but putting it back as if it was never erased does devalue a lot of Post OMD stories and I don't think Marvel is willing to do that.

Much of the post-OMD stories (or "The Mephistoverse" as I've been christening it), have very little value to begin with outside of some choice examples, and most require the characters to act against type in order to function. You never buy that this is somehow the same continuity and the same characters because of the bizarre 180 they have pulled in between the end of OMD and the start and duration of BND, and it spills out into Slott's run and actually worsens because it's as if he thinks he can get away with cutting loose the way he does. Nothing rings true because you know it's a lie from the experience you spent reading OMD. You're constantly expecting this reality to be undone in the same way House Of M and Age of Apocalypse was undone.

With the Mephisto device, Marvel can at least use it to say "It was chaos magic that was influencing all of their decisions" and then tell a story which "corrects" things in a manner where everything still happened and it's just left to the characters to pick up the pieces with their heads screwed on straight again. Hal Jordan is the best example of going through something like that and came out a better and more refined character after a decade or so. Did revealing Jordan was possesed by an alien parasite the whole time as Paralax devalue the stories? No, he still did all those things, we just know there was something justifying his bad behavior, and there was consequences long after he was cured.

I think Marvel are very aware that the marriage's 30th anniversary is in 2017 (it's also the 10th anniversary of the Mephisto deal), so I think, regardless of whether or not they bring it back full-time to the mainstream books, they will want to do something then to acknowledge and milk the concept once again.

Slott's also been pointing out that the marriage has been kicking about in the newspapers this entire time, which is also interesting, but given the strip is now coming out in trades from IDW, it makes sense to plug it.

ZariusTwo
08-19-2015, 07:37 AM
RYV#4

A so-so issue with Peter barely doing anything at all other than get captured by The Regent, who reveals he needs Peter's Spider-Sense to combat God Emperor Doom. Power Pack make Annie her costume off-panel much to MJ's annoyance. Ben Urich is revealed to have known Peter's identity all along and MJ lets it slip Peter has developed inhibitor chips. Hawkeye, in charge of SHIELD and missing an eye, instructs The Spot to duplicate Peter's inhibitor technology, and plans to make Regent bleed so he they fit lock his DNA on to the inhibitors. The true hero of the issue is Sandman. Despite being mind-probed to tip the Regent off to the resistance safe house, he uses a portal placed in his stomach by The Spot to send a message to the Resistance. The Sinister Six find the safe house for the resistance and battle Hawkeye's forces. The children and most of the resistance evacuates to another safe house and Annie has a quick one page fight with the Six. MJ urges her to escape but Sandman sends them a message revealing Peter is a captive of the Regent. At Annie's urging, MJ decides to help her save Peter and journey to the Regent's stronghold for the final confrontation

ZariusTwo
09-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Preview for Issue Five
(http://www.newsarama.com/25770-preview-amazing-spider-man-renew-your-vows-5.html)

It's been a fun ride. The best thing Slott's written in years, though it has not been without it's weak points, and his dialog remained ever so clunky from time to time.

No telling if more will be done with this set-up after Secret Wars (obviously it'll have nothing to do with where Spidey is going in the relaunch) but I'm hoping it does'nt end on a bum note and we can some kind of ongoing out of it. The marriage will still be kicking about in the dailies anyway, so there's that also.

ZariusTwo
09-09-2015, 10:09 AM
Wow. That ending was something

Not only do we have MJ suit up and kick Regent's ass alongside "AMP" (Annie's codename),. Peter uses his patented Spidey humour to take Regent out, the Venom angle has a triumphant pay-off in which the vow that is renewed is the one Peter made as a father to Annie to care for her without compromise.

Seems we may not be done with the Parker family after all too

MsMarvelDuckie
09-10-2015, 08:18 PM
This sounds like a Spidey story I might actually have to read! I don't mind all the spoilers, as I had plenty of them back during OMIT, too. Honestly, that story pissed me off FAR more than the OMD ending with it's possible "out" did. And you're right, EVERYONE was acting out of character for most of OMD/BND, and even beyond, as far down as that gawds-awful OMIT arc, where M-J basically slapped Peter in the face with her declaration that she couldn't have a family and a life WITH HIM. Never mind that she'd already done just that for years. Too dangerous?! Wasn't SHE the one who smacked Man-Wolf over the head with a fireplace poker??!! Among other things. Heck, if Aunt May can take down Chameleon with cookies, I think M-J can hold her own in the Spider-family just fine.

ZariusTwo
09-11-2015, 04:07 AM
This sounds like a Spidey story I might actually have to read!

Definitely buy the trade when it comes out. It's astonishing how this is from the same writer who's taken a sledgehammer to Peter, MJ, Black Cat and all sorts of characters over the years. In just five short issues Slott completely deconstructs and dismantles all the claims from the higher-ups that MJ could never hang with Peter or that marriage and parenthood would drag the characters under. EIGHT YEARS of stagnant storytelling is undone over a summer period, and lets us know "Hey, if we brought the marriage back tomorrow, we could do it really well, if not better"

I can say with great confidence this will be the first ASM trade I've collected since 2009's "The Real Clone Saga". It is not only Slott's best work since 2014's "Learning to Crawl", it is the best Spider-Man story since the eisner nominated "To Have and To Hold" from 2007 by Matt Fraction

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very flawed story, with Dan's now trademark woeful dialogue, overemphasis on mary sue creations, and his inability to stick a landing at the climax, but for marriage fans as well as fans of a grown and mature Peter and MJ (not the selfish and emotionally regressed versions influenced by the devil magic of the altered reality I call the Mephistoverse), it scratches the itch we've had for so long (well, ok, the newspaper strip's been scratching the itch for me for years prior to this, but I recognize it's not everyone's cup of tea)

MsMarvelDuckie
09-11-2015, 04:50 AM
I would have loved the strip version, I'm sute- if any papers around here ever RAN it! I guess this will have to do for now. At least until I can start getting those trades of the strip IDW is supposed to be doing.

ZariusTwo
09-11-2015, 09:15 AM
I would have loved the strip version, I'm sute- if any papers around here ever RAN it! I guess this will have to do for now. At least until I can start getting those trades of the strip IDW is supposed to be doing.

It's online (http://comicskingdom.com/amazing-spider-man). That's mainly how I read it. There's a subscription fee required to get caught up on the last year or so but I don't really bother with that.

They just started a new story two weeks ago, with Namor attacking a cruise ship and MJ standing up to him. The previous arc was promotion for Age of Ultron and guest-starred Black Widow and Harry Osborn (bizarrely, he was the Hobgoblin in this particular story)

MsMarvelDuckie
09-11-2015, 10:22 AM
All I got was some kind of error msg.

ZariusTwo
09-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Works fine for me.

Oh, and you may want to check your blood pressure when you read this

http://marvel.com/news/comics/25083/face_it_tony_stark_you_just_hit_the_jackpot

MsMarvelDuckie
09-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Oh, sweet mother- I hope that doesn't mean what it looks like. I like tony, but M-J is and always WILL BE part of Peter's world.

Edit: Now it's working. I tried on my phone this morning, so maybe that's why it didn't work. But it's fine now. And this reminds me of the comics from about 20 years ago....

ZariusTwo
09-12-2015, 01:18 AM
Oh, sweet mother- I hope that doesn't mean what it looks like. I like Tony, but M-J is and always WILL BE part of Peter's world.

True, but being part of Peter's world is "no fun" according to Dan Slott because they can't be married and constantly beating around that bush will always be expected from fans, hence the decision to drop her from the Spider-Books. Had Bendis not intervened, MJ would have stayed in limbo for yet another year.

I don't mind MJ branching out actually...I just wish she could do that while still being with Peter. I also think Bendis will use this as a way to rebuild her character, so that if Marvel ever decide to pair her with Peter again, she'll be fully readjusted to superhero life and can hang with him more as an equal.

For me, anything that demonstrates MJ's strengths and doesn't make so much out of her weaknesses is what I'd favour over not doing anything with her.

And yeah, the comic strip is a great and much-needed reminder of better times. During the Black Widow story, MJ was insistent on helping them track down Harry and kick his ass, but Widow was'nt keen on it.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-12-2015, 04:57 AM
I dunno, I read through from Sept. 11 of last year to about a week into Nov., and it just felt kind of dated and cheesy. It reminded me too much of the early comic issues from the Stan/Kirby days. And not in a good way. Plot holes, inconsistencies, and inexplicable lapses galore, not to mention VERY slow pacing, excessive exposition and repitition of plot points, and ridiculous leaps of comic logic and/or physics. Its okay for a strip, but not what I want in a Spidey story, even a married one.

ZariusTwo
09-12-2015, 07:18 AM
Fair enough. I easily forgive it for it's flaws because it's a load of innocent fun. The stories are admittedly nonsense, but, surprisingly, they're still considerably less inane than some of the s*it I've read in a regular market Marvel comic. Go figure.

I did love the attempt in Spider-Verse to have Morlun "invade" the strip universe and it doesn't go well because it's...well...the strip being what it is. Very funny stuff from Slott. Another example also of him writing Peter and MJ well, short as it is.

Come to think of it, I feel like the climax to RYV does have the sort of ending one would typically find in the newspaper strip...maybe that's because Slott is that hackneyed and cheesy as a writer, I don't know.

MsMarvelDuckie
09-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Well, at least he's smart enough to come up with better villains than Paper Doll. THAT was the worst excuse for a character I've seen! Literally one dimensional villain..... Right up there with the walking trope encyclopedia of NEW Ms Marvel.... I want Carol back in the mantle, darn it. And why not let M-J use the Iron-Spider suit, while we're at it. I know a fic writer who made that idea awesome! She had a group of all female heroes (way before Marvel thought of it, I might add), and it included Ms Marvel, Sue Storm, M-J, Millie, Wasp, and an OC of hers named Whyte Spyder. I think Pepper Potts was in it too.....

ZariusTwo
09-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Some encouraging news....Ta-Nehisi Coates will be the writer for a new ongoing for Black Panther

Why bring this name up? Becuase it was only this year that Coates wrote an article in anticipation of the then-imminent Renew Your Vows series where he talked about growing up as a fan of Spider-Man during the marriage era and how it taught him to subvert the expectation of the macho ideal of romance. He also openly criticizes One More Day, saying that it deprived him of characters who acted like adults.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/01/spider-man-in-love/384860/

I find it very encouraging that Marvel are choosing to recruit talents like this to work on their heroes, and it gives me hope this man will stick around long enough to perhaps get a crack at Peter and MJ themselves...if he's lucky it may be with the Renew Your Vows version of the Parker family, that is, if they survive Secret Wars, and if Marvel want to use them further.

ZariusTwo
10-06-2015, 05:00 AM
Big spoiler for All-New Amazing Spider-Man

The Regent is back already, and is now in the main Marvel Universe

ZariusTwo
12-25-2015, 05:02 AM
I got the trade paperback of this for Christmas. Unlike the U.S release, it doesn't come with "Secret Love" as a bonus, but it does include the Spider-Verse prologue "The Little Things" and a gallery of all the variant covers used for the series.

ZariusTwo
01-09-2016, 06:43 AM
Good news. The trade for RYV was tenth in the top ten trades of the year, and the only SW tie-in to break into said top ten.