PDA

View Full Version : What makes this show great for you?

LeotheLateBloomer
11-09-2014, 05:19 AM
What do you guys love about this show. What makes it stand out to you? What are some aspects that make this cartoon unique compared to the other TMNT cartoons? From the characters, plot lines, and episodes.

Netkeeper
11-09-2014, 05:42 AM
The animation style, the voices, the characterisation, the writing, THE EVERYTHING!

Except the last two seasons which I don't even consider canon.

TheSkeletonMan939
11-09-2014, 05:58 AM
Except the last two seasons which I don't even consider canon.

If you really have that mindset then that's sort of pathetic.

I liked the voice acting and clever writing above all; the animation style and music were great too.

CharmedSerenity
11-09-2014, 06:14 AM
The animation style, the voices, the characterisation, the writing

This, so this!

DarkLightDragon
11-09-2014, 06:32 AM
This, so this!

Thirded.

I would also like to add world-building, sense of continuity, and action to that list.

Netkeeper
11-09-2014, 06:43 AM
If you really have that mindset then that's sort of pathetic.
Ah yes, it's so pathetic to consider the change of opening theme, animation style, character design, title, and episode writing to be pretty much a different show. The only thing that remained the same was the voice acting.

I can't think of any other franchise that would do this exact same thing but try to get away with calling it another season... wait, yes I can. It starts with a D, ends with an N, sounds like Pokémon and is Digimon.

Thirded.

I would also like to add world-building, sense of continuity, and action to that list.
Yesss! The status quo was not always the same, the pacing was great, and the fighting was entertaining without being cheesy or samey.

Shark_Blade
11-09-2014, 07:35 AM
I genuinely like Usagi the most.

Whenever he appears I'm delighted.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-09-2014, 07:49 AM
The animation style, the voices, the characterisation, the writing, THE EVERYTHING!

Pretty much this.

blindturtle02
11-09-2014, 08:13 AM
I enjoyed the story arcs. You don't see too many animated series with plots spanning more than two or three episodes much less several seasons. I wasn't able to read the Mirage comics as a kid, so I appreciated the writers adapting some of the arcs to animation. I loved the fight scenes in this show. That battle with Utrom Shredder aboard his spaceship was brutal but awesome. You don't see many cartoon characters getting their legs broken or stabbed. And they went one step further with Insane in the Membrane in season four. I mean, they wouldn't even show it on TV over here in the states. I never did any of that torrent stuff, so I had to wait until Jester and I hit Walmart when the first 14 episode set was released. I don't know what else to say. It was a fantastic show. I didn't much like Fast Forward when it first aired, but it has grown on me since then. I did enjoy BTTS when watching that on TV, and Turtles Forever was a nice way to at least attempt to close the book on the series. I still wish we had gotten the Shredder War though. There's a lot I love about this show. However, I haven't had breakfast yet, so I'm done writing for now.

The Turtle Terminator
11-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Thirded.

Agreed. This is easily the best TV incarnation, with 2012 a close second.

Wesley
11-09-2014, 10:33 AM
I enjoyed the story arcs. You don't see too many animated series with plots spanning more than two or three episodes much less several seasons. I wasn't able to read the Mirage comics as a kid, so I appreciated the writers adapting some of the arcs to animation. I loved the fight scenes in this show. That battle with Utrom Shredder aboard his spaceship was brutal but awesome. You don't see many cartoon characters getting their legs broken or stabbed. And they went one step further with Insane in the Membrane in season four. I mean, they wouldn't even show it on TV over here in the states. I never did any of that torrent stuff, so I had to wait until Jester and I hit Walmart when the first 14 episode set was released. I don't know what else to say. It was a fantastic show. I didn't much like Fast Forward when it first aired, but it has grown on me since then. I did enjoy BTTS when watching that on TV, and Turtles Forever was a nice way to at least attempt to close the book on the series. I still wish we had gotten the Shredder War though. There's a lot I love about this show. However, I haven't had breakfast yet, so I'm done writing for now.

I agree. I also liked the original characters such as Hun and Agent Bishop. It had a good mix of drama, comedy and action. I thought the first four seasons were the best. Seasons five, six and seven weren't as good, but they were still okay to watch. I never saw five though on tv because it never aired in Ireland (I did see it on YouTube).

Warhorse
11-09-2014, 11:45 AM
The plot lines, story telling, characterizations, (and I loved Leo's voice, the best Leo voice ever in my opinion) and the original characters like Hun and Bishop were total badasses in their own rights!

zipper
11-09-2014, 12:45 PM
This show came out at the end of high school for me, so it was nice seeing a mature Batman:TAS style for the turtles, especially at a time where I had started losing interest in a number of cartoons. I absolutely LOVED this show until they revealed that Shredder was an Utrom. That bummed me out a bit, but I still watched a bit of it and loved the Fugitoid storyline. This was a very epic cartoon and for the most part, I enjoyed it.

Jephael
11-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Season 4 was definitely my favorite era of the series, especially during their healing phase at the farmhouse.

blindturtle02
11-09-2014, 01:54 PM
I loved seasons 4 and 5. Heck, I'm glad they finally made season 5 available on DVD, even though you could only buy the thing at Target. I had seen them on TV, but Funimation scared me for a while. I thought Good Genes Pt. 2 would be the last ep of season 4 I'd own until I heard the word about the Tribunal set coming out. Season 5 rocked, for me anyway. I loved the Foot Mystics when we first saw them in season 1, and I was hoping they'd have a larger role to play later on. I was surprised to see them again in season 4 at the end of Bad Day, and instantly thought that the Turtles were probably in for major trouble later. My favorite arcs had to do with Shredder and The Foot, of course. Although Bishop ties with that. I loved that character. Stockman being widdled away over time was also a nice touch. I loved where the writers went with this guy, eventually having him break away from Shredder and join up with Bishop.

Hun became a favorite when I first saw him in Attack of The Mousers as he was dragging Stockman to have a chat with Saki. They teased the viewers with so many plot tidbits over the years as well. The first I remember was when we begin to discover that the new lair was a bit more than it seemed with the strange elevator going up to street level. Also liked the weird crystals that don't seem to matter much in Meet Casey Jones, but are of great importance in the Notes three parter/Return To The Underground/Entity Below episodes etc. I want to say we see our first crystal and the elevator bit in Meet Casey Jones, but won't swear to it. It's been a while since I watched my 2k3 DVDs. I love those little touches the writers added. The bit with Hun burning down the Jones store was another nice tidbit they dropped in Meet Casey and later expanded upon in episodes like Fallen Angel and Dragons Rising. Gotta love serialization. You seriously don't see many animated shows doing this anymore. I think the only one I've recently seen where stuff like this happens is Star Wars Rebels, and hopefully that'll last a while. Of course there's Young Justice, Wolvy and the X-men, etc, but shows like this always end so prematurely. TMNT 2k3 held its own for years, however. Gotta love the longevity of Turtles.

CyberCubed
11-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Ah yes, it's so pathetic to consider the change of opening theme, animation style, character design, title, and episode writing to be pretty much a different show. The only thing that remained the same was the voice acting.ey.

What the hell are you talking about? Plenty of TV shows change their animation and/or title as the show progresses and its the same canon. Plenty of shows change their opening themes.

Saying the last two seasons aren't canon is laughable, especially when Turtles Forever shows the new lair from the BTTS season.

tmntpower1988
11-09-2014, 02:00 PM
I loved the serious tone of the show. It had the best animation of the three series. The plots are interesting, far better than OT or Nick. Action scenes are intense. I felt like they went downhill with Fast Forward and Back To The Sewer but I'd still rather watch them anyday over OT or any Mutant of the Week Nick episode.

This show came out at the end of high school for me, so it was nice seeing a mature Batman:TAS style for the turtles, especially at a time where I had started losing interest in a number of cartoons. I absolutely LOVED this show until they revealed that Shredder was an Utrom. That bummed me out a bit, but I still watched a bit of it and loved the Fugitoid storyline. This was a very epic cartoon and for the most part, I enjoyed it.

Utrom Shredder kind of bothered me too, wish he was human. At least we did get a real human Oroku Saki in season 5, I liked the Demon Shredder more.

pennydreadful
11-09-2014, 03:40 PM
I wasn't able to read the Mirage comics as a kid, so I appreciated the writers adapting some of the arcs to animation.

This. The whole show was just perfect - it had the best characterization out of any of the shows, the best fight scenes, the perfect mix of action and humor, tight and consistent storylines, great design and animation, terrific voice acting... it had it all.

What the hell are you talking about? Plenty of TV shows change their animation and/or title as the show progresses and its the same canon. Plenty of shows change their opening themes.

Saying the last two seasons aren't canon is laughable, especially when Turtles Forever shows the new lair from the BTTS season.

So does this mean that you consider Next Mutation canon, even though you don't like it? Just to play devil's advocate here...

TheSkeletonMan939
11-09-2014, 03:47 PM
The Next Mutation is canon within its own universe.

pennydreadful
11-09-2014, 04:16 PM
TNM is a law unto itself. :lol:

Powder
11-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Season 4, The Ninja Tribunal, & Fast Forward. The show was at it's best when it wasn't relying on Mirage storylines, IMO.

CyberCubed
11-09-2014, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't say that, with the obvious exception of City at War, I enjoyed all the other 4kids adaptions of Mirage material. Return to New York in the context of the show was great.

Netkeeper
11-09-2014, 05:29 PM
What the hell are you talking about?
Shh, grown-ups are talking.

CyberCubed
11-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Shh, grown-ups are talking.

Are you actually being serious when you said a show that changes its title, animation, and opening song is "not canon" or a different show? FF and BTTS is canon, its the same thing that happened with many other shows.

Batman: TAS changed animation and its title for the last season, so did Justice League to JLU, so did the original TMNT cartoon for that matter, etc.

pennydreadful
11-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Net's talking about the fact that some fans find something to be a "wall banger" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/WallBanger) - and for them, they just can't think of it as canon from that point onwards.

He's not just talking about the animation style, he's talking about the writing. Myself, I like those later seasons, but I can also see where he's coming from - everybody has their own capacity for tolerance of things that they just feel are jarring within the fictional world. Look at the Star Wars prequels/later changes made to the OT.

Lord knows I do it - I'm in complete denial of everything that went on in the Dr Who canon after the Tenth died. *shrugs*

CyberCubed
11-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Lloyd Goldfine and Peter Laird were still in charge of the last two seasons, so it still had the same two head directors/showrunners.

pennydreadful
11-09-2014, 07:40 PM
How many people consider everything from Volume 4 to be canon? I mean, does everyone here automatically think of April as a drawing that was brought to life?

Turtle Park
11-09-2014, 08:43 PM
What do you guys love about this show. What makes it stand out to you? What are some aspects that make this cartoon unique compared to the other TMNT cartoons? From the characters, plot lines, and episodes.

For me, the first show got my attention is 2007 movie, but 2k3 series totally blows my mind. The image of the show was stuck in my mind when I play the gba game of it, not just the character design but also the sound truck. Then when I saw it on youtube, it just makes me crazy about it even more. For some reason(I really don't know what it is, could be EVERY THING!)I just love the tones of the show.

I try to introduce the version to my friends, but some of them think TMNT is outdated. One day, my friend said: Why don't you just draw them? So I start to do some crazy things like translate it in to Chinese(About 3 years ago, )and draw it as it was the comic(For that time, I just a new fan of the series, so I didn't known there's original comics).

TMNT(2k3 series)change my life forever. Because that's the time when I realize, Taiwan is surrounded by Japanese manga and anime. In that case, some people think Japanese style is better.(The worst thing is, I could be one of them.) And I had a painful time to adjust my mind to believe the thing I like(TMNT). As 2k3 TMNT keep amaze me, I finally overcome the situation.
Nowadays, I still watch this version, and in my opinion, the first 4 season is the best. With each episode, They build the story to a higher level.

Like in season 4 Leo is depressed, because his can't forgive himself from fail the responsibility to protect his family. When he realize what is he doing to himself, he yell: I've done everything I could!
That moment I really don't know what to say, but it just awesome.

Mellie
11-09-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm only on season 4 (this show came out at a time when I was too busy being an angsty teenager), but I really love the continuity. It's nice to see an ongoing story in cartoon form. The animation is great too.

It also gave me a better appreciation for Leonardo and the stress he's under as leader. I hated it when his personality changed- not because I thought it was bad, but because it was too affective. I wanted the old Leonardo back so much :cry:

And I love how they use "shell" as a curse word. :lol: It's hilarious.

DevilSpooky
11-09-2014, 09:59 PM
It's my favorite show by far, and it's because it's the closest we'll ever get for a animated version of the original Mirage comics. It started going downhill with season 5 IMO, to this day still think that the Dragons are the most idiotic thing that came out of franchise. But FF brought me back, I loved that season, even though it feels like a different show. Didn't liked the BTTS one though, if they where keep doing a futuristic story why return to the present you know? Would feel better if it was still in the future, although by then they looked like they run out of ideas, too bad about not going back to the Shredder war they hinted at when they returned to the present, would be an awesome way to finish the show, and just left a huge plot hole on the story. Also Turtles Forever is just one of the best things ever and a perfect way to tie all the universes together.

CyberCubed
11-10-2014, 01:01 AM
How many people consider everything from Volume 4 to be canon? I mean, does everyone here automatically think of April as a drawing that was brought to life?

Well in Mirage that's canon. Everyone on the comic board would agree.

neatoman
11-10-2014, 01:02 AM
Well I'm hesitant to call the show "great". The animation is pretty cheap, there are some rather strange turns and the last two seasons are a disappointment.

But it has a lot of strong points:
It's very serialised without feeling like it's dragged out.
The differences between the turtles feel much more deep rooted than in the other two cartoons.
It rearranged and altered the Mirage stories to much more comprehensive, which quite frankly could be too much style over substance as originally presented.
Very few episodes felt like pointless filler.
Some of the original ideas for the show are simple but very well made and pretty cool, like the Battle Nexus.
While the show is not really "dark" most of the time, it is dark for an american kids' show and appreciate that takes risks dealing with subject matter like murder, revenge, betrayal, mutalation, depression, self sacrifice, gang violence, government corruption, war etc.

CyberCubed
11-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Well I'm hesitant to call the show "great". The animation is pretty cheap,

The animation is cheap? The animation in the first four seasons is among the best animation for a cartoon in the early 2000's.

How on earth is the animation cheap? The show is beautiful and fluid especially during the fight scenes.

Netkeeper
11-10-2014, 03:13 AM
Net's talking about the fact that some fans find something to be a "wall banger" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/WallBanger) - and for them, they just can't think of it as canon from that point onwards.
Actually, if you wanted to use a trope to describe how I feel, I'm describing Fanon Disconinuity (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanonDiscontinuity) to a T. Those seasons aren't bad enough for Wall Banger status.

Lloyd Goldfine and Peter Laird were still in charge of the last two seasons, so it still had the same two head directors/showrunners.
I know that. I don't care, I don't like it.

neatoman
11-10-2014, 07:43 AM
The animation is cheap? The animation in the first four seasons is among the best animation for a cartoon in the early 2000's.

How on earth is the animation cheap? The show is beautiful and fluid especially during the fight scenes.

Maybe "cheap" is the wrong word, I will agree that the Rat King episode is really well done and many of the "important" fight scenes are well done. What I meant was that many other fight scenes (if not most fight scenes) are not very dynamic, as if they were trying to keep the budget down.

Leo656
11-10-2014, 08:33 AM
I liked pretty much all of it, although I have to admit the episodes I've seen the most were from the first two seasons and I'm fuzzy past that, but so far it's still my favorite TMNT cartoon. It really felt like a natural evolution from the original show. It felt like the characters and universe had "grown up" with me in a sense. When I was 7, the OT had exactly everything I wanted from a cartoon show. When I was 19, the 2K3 TMNT show had exactly everything I wanted from a cartoon show then. I liked that it was a little more self-serious without being completely serious or over-dramatic, but actually having the events carry some weight was a good thing. Some people don't appreciate the humor, and it's definitely more of a dry humor than the overt, in-your-face gags of the OT and the Nick show, but that's more my taste anyway.

As far as what I wanted from shows in 2003, it was more or less perfect. Looking back on it now, it's clearly not "perfect", but it's still my favorite TMNT show. It's more in line with how I see the characters than some of the other versions. Plus, I'm a huge Leo fan, so what some see as a negative of the show I see as a huge positive, the fact that he was given a hefty focus for a change.

I haven't seen a ton of the last couple seasons so I don't really have an opinion on any of the Future Shellshock/Back to the Sewers stuff. I honestly don't know if I've seen even four episodes combined from all that, I was going through some stuff when all that aired. Sucks they won't just re-release the damn thing to completion already. Sigh.

Davetello
11-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Put it this way, if I was told I could only watch one television show for the rest of my life, it would be this. It's obviously not a literary masterpiece like The Wire, it's not as breakneck and entertaining as Breaking Bad, but it is by far the best animated version of the turtles, imo.

I loved everything about it, and it's the only show where I can remember almost everything that happens in the first five seasons, since I have re-watched it so many times. It's also ironic because, in the "worst year of your life" topic, I said mine was 2006. Yet it was at the end of that year when I finally went back and watched the first four seasons in their entirety (had only season season 1 prior to that, three years earlier). Perhaps this is why I care about it so much - because I binged on it at a time in my life when I was extremely vulnerable emotionally. That's some legacy and something which will never leave me. My only regret is that my first watch through was cramping over a CRT computer screen, as the season part DVDs hadn't been released yet. It's far better on a proper television.

The animation, the writing, the tightly structured, coherent story arcs, the characterisation, the relationships between the turtles and their human friends, Shredder's design, the amazement that Leo was allowed to decapitate someone in a kids' cartoon (with the twist of Shredder being an utrom still to come), the comedy...I loved 99% of the things in the show.

It's also the show which got me into Mirage, as I didn't know anything about the source material until then. That allowed me to further make sense of the first film. Mirage eventually superseded this show and said first film as my favourite iteration of the turtles, but they're very close behind.

The show is just fantastic, and a great ride. One other great thing about the first five seasons is how simple the episode structure is: 4 seasons of 26 episodes each, and then a shorter season of twelve episodes focused around a particular arc (NT). It's very easy to rewatch because every season is the same length, and I like that. Some shows skip between six episodes in the first season, 13 in the next, 20 in the next etc. In a serial show like the 2k3 series seasons of equal length make far more sense, and it only benefited the show in my opinion. Can you imagine if the first season had been far longer, and seasons 3 and 4 far shorter, for example? We'd have seen far less of Bishop, of Leo's struggles in season 4 etc, and season 1 would have been full of filler (there was some slight filler as it is but not enough to take away from the excellence of the season).

It's just a fantastic show and Laird, Goldfine and the rest deserve enormous credit for making it a reality. It's something which turtle fans should really watch through once every eighteen months, minimum.

tmntpower1988
11-13-2014, 07:49 PM
The 2003 series is the only TMNT cartoon I can binge watch tbh

Batman: TAS changed animation and its title for the last season, so did Justice League to JLU, so did the original TMNT cartoon for that matter, etc.

They seriously went downhill with Season 4 (The New Batman Adventures). Was nowhere near as good as the first two seasons. Hated the animation change.

Redeemer
11-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Well I'm hesitant to call the show "great". The animation is pretty cheap,

This dude be hitting that crack pipe :lol:

Anyways, I agree with cybercubed :tcouch: The animation was some of the best for its time and is still better than most animation done today. I honestly can't think of a single cartoon with better animation off the top of my head right now. It was just so fluid and detailed. The only show that even rivals it is
Young Justice, "The Batman " and Batman Beyond are up there as well.

What I like so much about this series was the storyline, first time I seen TMNT with over-arcing storyline in any median. (Hadn't read the comics yet).
The animation
Fight scenes
Turtles personas
Just liked everything about the show. especially the first 4 or 5 seasons.

pennydreadful
11-14-2014, 01:53 AM
Actually, if you wanted to use a trope to describe how I feel, I'm describing Fanon Disconinuity (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanonDiscontinuity) to a T. Those seasons aren't bad enough for Wall Banger status.

Ah, fair enough! :)

Put it this way, if I was told I could only watch one television show for the rest of my life, it would be this....

It's just a fantastic show and Laird, Goldfine and the rest deserve enormous credit for making it a reality. It's something which turtle fans should really watch through once every eighteen months, minimum.

Yeah, I'm with ya here - I'm actually planning a marathon when I'm on Xmas holidays.

Anyways, I agree with cybercubed :tcouch: The animation was some of the best for its time and is still better than most animation done today. I honestly can't think of a single cartoon with better animation off the top of my head right now. It was just so fluid and detailed.

Ditto - on this, I'm wholeheartedly in agreement with Cubed; I think the animation is terrific and I always felt the action delivered. *shrugs*

neatoman
11-14-2014, 06:16 AM
This dude be hitting that crack pipe :lol:

Anyways, I agree with cybercubed :tcouch: The animation was some of the best for its time and is still better than most animation done today. I honestly can't think of a single cartoon with better animation off the top of my head right now. It was just so fluid and detailed. The only show that even rivals it is
Young Justice, "The Batman " and Batman Beyond are up there as well.

What I like so much about this series was the storyline, first time I seen TMNT with over-arcing storyline in any median. (Hadn't read the comics yet).
The animation
Fight scenes
Turtles personas
Just liked everything about the show. especially the first 4 or 5 seasons.

Oh I'm not refuting that there were well animated sequences, the Rat King episode is arguably one of the best episodes, partially because of how well animated it is.
PoXKbCtsPYk

But after having rewatched the series in it's entirety this year, I noticed there was a lot of simplistic animation. The good animation was still where it was needed, it just seemed like they were holding back on the animation in a lot of fight scenes...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a crack pipe to smoke...

Sumac
11-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Story arcs, character development, no status quo, intermingling plotthreads of various importance...what pretty much make any show good. Genuinly good, I mean.

On top of that it great animation, great voice acting. Memorable music themes. You name it!!

Leo656
11-14-2014, 10:42 AM
In the interest of fairness, I'm just gonna say that as far as animation quality goes, among its contemporary shows, both Masters of the Universe 2003 and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited were probably a little better. Those three are by far the best of their era collectively, though.

Redeemer
11-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Ditto - on this, I'm wholeheartedly in agreement with Cubed; I think the animation is terrific and I always felt the action delivered. *shrugs*
Cant tell if you are shrugging bc you agree with cybercubed :lol:

Oh I'm not refuting that there were well animated sequences, the Rat King episode is arguably one of the best episodes, partially because of how well animated it is.
PoXKbCtsPYk

But after having rewatched the series in it's entirety this year, I noticed there was a lot of simplistic animation. The good animation was still where it was needed, it just seemed like they were holding back on the animation in a lot of fight scenes...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a crack pipe to smoke... I will take a hit.:lol: Season 6 and 7 do have a far more simplistic animation style, but that bc of budget cuts. Season 1-5 were very detailed imo.

In the interest of fairness, I'm just gonna say that as far as animation quality goes, among its contemporary shows, both Masters of the Universe 2003 and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited were probably a little better. Those three are by far the best of their era collectively, though.
I have never seen Masters of the universe so I can not comment on that, but JL and JLU have more simplistic animation then compared to TMNT.
What the JL and JLU characters seemed flat at times, bc of the lack of shading at times it seemed like, but another thing is JL really has no intricate fight scenes or movement like TMNT. You had characters doing intricate fight scenes, acrobatic flips, hand to hand combat. It is purely amazing to me at times. The JL/U did not do too many hand to hand combat scenes. You have super man punch somebody and the guy flies into a building, thats it. Batman aint doing flips or acrobatic stunts.
That nano-bot in TMNT season 1 is probably the most detailed character in any of the shows mention and they still made an amazing fight scenes despite using a heavily detailed character in the episode.

I guess thats one reason I did not enjoy Justice League as much bc the fighting was not dynamic.

neatoman
11-14-2014, 12:33 PM

I will take a hit.:lol: Season 6 and 7 do have a far more simplistic animation style, but that bc of budget cuts. Season 1-5 were very detailed imo.

I have never seen Masters of the universe so I can not comment on that, but JL and JLU have more simplistic animation then compared to TMNT.
What the JL and JLU characters seemed flat at times, bc of the lack of shading at times it seemed like, but another thing is JL really has no intricate fight scenes or movement like TMNT. You had characters doing intricate fight scenes, acrobatic flips, hand to hand combat. It is purely amazing to me at times. The JL/U did not do too many hand to hand combat scenes. You have super man punch somebody and the guy flies into a building, thats it. Batman aint doing flips or acrobatic stunts.
That nano-bot in TMNT season 1 is probably the most detailed character in any of the shows mention and they still made an amazing fight scenes despite using a heavily detailed character in the episode.

I guess thats one reason I did not enjoy Justice League as much bc the fighting was not dynamic.

Maybe I should have watched more of the contemporary cartoons before I judged the animation quality, the first season is 11 years old and the last is 5...

As for the He-Man reboot, I have not rewatched it myself, I remember that the animation looked pretty good but animation is not often as good as I remember.

... He-Man is pretty much a dead franchise, isn't it? I know there's a series published by DC that sells OK (or at least I think it does, it has survived 2 years), but there hasn't been a cartoon for decade, both attempts at revival didn't last long and the toys are only reissues of the old 80's toys for collectors.

k_lala
11-14-2014, 12:50 PM
EVERYTHING!! The animation, the FIGHTING scenes, the story, the character development. I appreciate the fact that it stayed close to the comics (I know not 100% but it adapted), Peter was involved also.

Only thing i disliked was after Tribunal and not releasing the series properly on home media, especially the movie which they invested a lot into.

tmntpower1988
11-14-2014, 01:05 PM
The He-Man 2002 series was epic, didn't quite enjoy it as much as the 2k3 TMNT but was still a great show, was much better than the 80s version.

Shiro Kame
11-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Animation, character development, story arcs, the overall dark tone of the series, and the great story telling it did.

CyberCubed
11-14-2014, 02:30 PM

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a crack pipe to smoke...

The only shows with better animation than TMNT 2k3 was Justice League and that's probably because DC had a high budget. TMNT 2k3 looked better than every other animated cartoon at the time.

Of course Young Justice has the best animation for a cartoon overall, but remember that show came out in 2011 so it was almost a decade later.

pennydreadful
11-14-2014, 03:29 PM

LOL, it does happen every once in a while - I actually do agree with him about a lot of Turtles-related stuff, just not about much of anything else! :tlol:

DarkLightDragon
11-14-2014, 05:12 PM
That's probably another reason why I loved this show. It had a dark tone most of the time sure, but it never felt it was played up too much for the sake of it or to the point where it was too depressing to watch after a while.

CyberCubed
11-15-2014, 10:53 AM
What I love is what they did with the Foot Clan. The other two cartoons just have the Foot as robots and that's it.

The different divisions of the Foot, from the standard Foot Soldiers, to the Foot Tech, The Elite Guards, the Foot Gunners, the Foot from ancient Japan, the new Foot trained by Karai later on, was amazing.

I really miss the Foot Clan being a huge human empire of ninja's.

Wesley
11-15-2014, 11:13 AM
What I love is what they did with the Foot Clan. The other two cartoons just have the Foot as robots and that's it.

The different divisions of the Foot, from the standard Foot Soldiers, to the Foot Tech, The Elite Guards, the Foot Gunners, the Foot from ancient Japan, the new Foot trained by Karai later on, was amazing.

I really miss the Foot Clan being a huge human empire of ninja's.

I liked the depiction of the Foot Clan in this cartoon as well. Also, I thought the Purple Dragons were written well, too.

slashpieturtlemix
11-15-2014, 01:43 PM
I ended up watching this show from beginning to end. I love how it really felt like the original creators were involved. They left so many easter eggs that I gave up trying to find them lol plus the animation was gorgeous. Its a shame the toys weren't as good in my book....

CyberCubed
11-17-2014, 07:24 PM
I liked the depiction of the Foot Clan in this cartoon as well. Also, I thought the Purple Dragons were written well, too.

I also liked how the Foot Gunners were robot Foot Soldiers, sort of like a nod to the original.

neatoman
11-18-2014, 12:55 AM

Yeah the Purple Dragons, I loved how they gradually became a bigger threat as the series went on. Hell for that matter, it's pretty much what's fleshed out the Purple Dragons!

In the comics they were just in fight with the Turtles in the first issue, this cartoon is what established their size, their modus operandi, their motives, their growth, thei alliances and even their leader. I bet you can't even think about the Purple Dragons without thinking of Hun first, can you?

Wesley
11-18-2014, 11:21 AM
I had never heard of the comics until a few years ago so all of the stuff in the cartoon was new to me. Hun was one of the most interesting characters. I liked that he was intelligent as well as physically strong. He was a formidable opponent in episodes such as "The Shredder Strikes" and Hun on the Run". I also loved the way he confronted Dragonface in "City at War".

jenna
11-18-2014, 01:11 PM
The animation style was amazing as others have said. But there was also a cerebral element to it. It had moments of reflection and philosophy, which gave it depth and soul.

Also... turtles + human foot ninja + NYC rooftop + night + torrential rain = epic brilliance :D

Leofan26
11-24-2014, 12:44 AM
So many reasons why, I loved the darker tone of the series and the on continuing arcs, they don't randomly stop and act like nothing's happened next few episodes later. Plus no love triangles, I'd say all turtles got fair share spotlight as seasons went on. Really liked the set ups for the arcs too.

Animation was really good too, darker feeling when needed.

Awe how I miss the show :(

mrminister4446
12-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Before this show existed, I used to watch the old cartoon, which we had on VHS, and even then, the shredder was my favourite character, but when I saw a commercial of this show (aired on cartoon network) I was like "AWESOME!" even though I was just a kid, I loved the seriousness, and the shredder looked so badass. It was such a shame that they never aired the seaons after season 2. I only saw some glimpses of those episodes at nightime.

Only now recently did I watch all the other seasons and I was amazed that there were soo many episodes I missed as a child. If a younger me knew this, he would go crazy xD

It IS the best show I've ever seen on TV, and the only TV show I have bothered to watch on youtube.

Levia24
12-12-2014, 05:20 PM
I like it because all the focus on Leo :P No really - Leo is my favorite, and these days (with today shows) I rarely like the protagonist around whom story revolves. So I'm very happy focus goes where I want it. The animation is also awesome, I will always prefer hand drawn cartoon than 3D digital movie. Drawings carry much more emotion and passion than 3D models, which, imo, is a lazy way to do it. I also like seriousness in this series, characters experience difficult emotions like sorrow, grief, fear... on deeper level than TMNT 2012 series; where for instance, Mikey can blissfully watch and enjoy his favorite show while his brother upstairs is in coma and father gone (possibly even for good). Anyhow, 2003 show is my favorite TMNT series, along with 1987 cartoon.

Icebot
12-14-2014, 12:52 AM
I like the animation, the stories and continuity. I actually like Shredder being an Utrom. I like how April dresses.

HotNunchuckFury
12-14-2014, 04:42 AM
The animation style, the darker tone, the continuity of storylines spanning across episodes, the voice acting and the way each turtle's character was represented. No romance is a plus for me and all the scenes of them training with Master Splinter are a treat. I also really like Bishop and the story arcs involving him, Worlds Collide and Good Genes spring to mind. Kind of lost interest during the Ninja Tribunal series, and I'm not a fan of anything after that either. But seasons 1-4 remain my favourite incarnation of the turtles.