PDA

View Full Version : "The original trilogy seems to be forgotten about" What?!

neatoman
11-13-2014, 03:16 AM
So I always thought the original trilogy of movies were the most well known version of TMNT, aside from the FW cartoon. But then I found this video where a guy says "a lot of people" seem to have forgotten about the 90's movies. (Skip to 0:36)
IeIOyHgaT30?t=36s

That struck me as really odd, because I constantly hear about the "Awesomeness" of the first one and the "Travesty" of the third all the time within the fandom. But now I hear that outside of the fandom, these movies seem to be forgotten about? Is it just a thing in the UK or something?

Powder
11-13-2014, 03:37 AM
Might be a UK thing, but even that I find incredibly hard to believe. But this is just some random dude on the internet, he is likely speaking for those immediately around him, in his social circle & whatnot. Perception is reality, after all.

Shark_Blade
11-13-2014, 04:35 AM
It's true. Just like the 3 original Star Wars trilogy, most kids don't know much about them. They only mostly watch modern/recent stuff.

Powder
11-13-2014, 04:44 AM
He's not talking about kids, though. He says people have forgotten them. You can't forget what you do not know, as would be the case with kids. So it's not right to say that it's true.

neatoman
11-13-2014, 07:16 AM
It's true. Just like the 3 original Star Wars trilogy, most kids don't know much about them. They only mostly watch modern/recent stuff.

Woah! What? Hold on a second here, there are kids who keep up with Star Wars but haven't watched the original trilogy?

IndigoErth
11-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Forgotten? Yeahhh...maybe only among those who kinda liked them as a kid but never really joined the actual fanbase.

Buuut there are other things that were in large part forgotten by me while fans of those things remembered just fine and would prob likewise deny it was ever forgotten, so it evens out. :)

CyberCubed
11-13-2014, 12:17 PM
After the original cartoon, the original movie trilogy is the most well known TMNT to the general public.

If he said the 2007 TMNT movie was "forgotten" I could understand. But the original movies and 80's show are the best known even above the Mirage comics.

ProactiveMan
11-13-2014, 05:46 PM
It's hard to say. No one I know, who has seen the original movie has forgotten that it exists, but then it doesn't come up in conversation often enough to get a good feeling for people in general.

Amongst people I have talked to about Ninja Turtles, most remember the cartoon of course, and the movie, although their recollection of specific details is often patchy. You can put that down to a combination of busy lives, old age and booze.

Most remember seeing Secrete of the Ooze, but can't remember it very clearly. "Is that the one with Bebop and Rocksteady?" They vaguely remember Turtles III, but many of them haven't seen it, and their awareness of Turtles movies/TV usually ends there.

TerranigmaFreak
11-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Speaking of which, how are the blu-ray releases for the 3 movies? Are they even out? Are they worth it?

SparkFlash
11-16-2014, 04:13 PM
I don't think thats true at all. When the latest came out all the conversations I had was in relation to the originals. Even my kids knew of it and compared.

Bry
11-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Speaking of which, how are the blu-ray releases for the 3 movies? Are they even out? Are they worth it?

They've all been released on bluray, but they're pretty bare-bones - much like the DVDs. But they're usually pretty cheap, and the better picture quality is worth it.

I'd love to see a 25th anniversary re-release of the first movie next year, with some kind of remaster and some actual bonus features (some deleted scenes were included in a recent German release, right?)

I... kinda doubt it'll happen, but it'd be a great time for it.

THGhost
11-16-2014, 05:42 PM
I live in the UK and most of the people I know are either fans of the TMNT or simply know of their existence and they all know about 3 movies. So I too doubt that it's a UK thing. You do occasionally see them being played on TV from time to time.

Woah! What? Hold on a second here, there are kids who keep up with Star Wars but haven't watched the original trilogy?

Yep. :roll:

They're pretty good. Very light on extras; the first movie has a 30 min documentary about the making of the first 2 movies I think and that's about it, the video/audio quality for all 3 are top notch though.

sgtfbomb
11-16-2014, 06:34 PM
the first movie has a 30 min documentary about the making of the first 2 movies I think and that's about it

Actually, it's not even that. The US blu ray releases for the original three films have no special features, except for theatrical trailers. A german DVD release of the first film included a commentary, the alternate ending, and and the clunkily-edited alternate scenes from the UK cut (that didn't compensate for the overacting of the foot clan members in the apartment fight sequence).

The 30 minute documentary is called Behind the Shells and, apart from a brief history of the franchise's origins, it mostly just covers the making of the second film. It could be found on VHS for the longest time and has been on and off You Tube for years. I think it was included in a recent international release, however, it was not included on the US blu ray.

As for Star Wars, from what I've seen, it's not that younger fans (twenty-somethings, teens, and children) don't know of the original films, but that they absolutely refuse to watch them in their original, unaltered format, citing the visual effects and prioritizing minor continuity. You know, the same old "old sucks, new is better" thought process.

IndigoErth
11-16-2014, 06:47 PM
however, it was not included on the US blu ray.
I don't get how a U.S. movie gyps the U.S. audience... :ohwell:

Leo656
11-16-2014, 07:43 PM
As for Star Wars, from what I've seen, it's not that younger fans (twenty-somethings, teens, and children) don't know of the original films, but that they absolutely refuse to watch them in their original, unaltered format, citing the visual effects and prioritizing minor continuity. You know, the same old "old sucks, new is better" thought process.

For whatever reason, I was immune to that as a kid, even though I know it's a phase most kids go through. We didn't get a VCR until I was about 8, so until then, I saw whatever was on TV and that's it, so I mostly only saw movies and TV shows from before I was born up until I was very little. I never, ever caught the "quality started with My generation" disease. If anything, I'm the opposite. I really don't think technology makes anything better and much prefer stuff from "back in the day" to the newer, shinier stuff.

The good thing is, a lot of kids grow out of it and eventually learn to appreciate older stuff. The bad thing is, they're really annoying until they do.

THGhost
11-17-2014, 08:04 AM
Actually, it's not even that. The US blu ray releases for the original three films have no special features, except for theatrical trailers. A german DVD release of the first film included a commentary, the alternate ending, and and the clunkily-edited alternate scenes from the UK cut (that didn't compensate for the overacting of the foot clan members in the apartment fight sequence).

The 30 minute documentary is called Behind the Shells and, apart from a brief history of the franchise's origins, it mostly just covers the making of the second film. It could be found on VHS for the longest time and has been on and off You Tube for years. I think it was included in a recent international release, however, it was not included on the US blu ray.

Huh, I just assumed it would be on all of them. :P

Jester
11-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Yeah...the US has never gotten anything more than a bare bones (unless you count the bios and stupid sewer maze "game" as special features.) release of TMNT. Had to have the German DVD release imported in just to get the director's commentary and extended ending.

pennydreadful
11-17-2014, 04:58 PM
I really don't think technology makes anything better and much prefer stuff from "back in the day" to the newer, shinier stuff.

The good thing is, a lot of kids grow out of it and eventually learn to appreciate older stuff. The bad thing is, they're really annoying until they do.

http://images.says.com/uploads/story_source/source_image/306266/f7bd.gif

Andrew NDB
11-17-2014, 08:49 PM
So I always thought the original trilogy of movies were the most well known version of TMNT, aside from the FW cartoon. But then I found this video where a guy says "a lot of people" seem to have forgotten about the 90's movies.

Apart from a number of scenes in the first movie I don't know that I have a huge problem with that. Aside from "a lot of people" filling this void with the latest "film."

sgtfbomb
11-19-2014, 06:51 AM
For whatever reason, I was immune to that as a kid, even though I know it's a phase most kids go through. We didn't get a VCR until I was about 8, so until then, I saw whatever was on TV and that's it, so I mostly only saw movies and TV shows from before I was born up until I was very little. I never, ever caught the "quality started with My generation" disease. If anything, I'm the opposite. I really don't think technology makes anything better and much prefer stuff from "back in the day" to the newer, shinier stuff.

I was the same way. I'm still amazed by the variety of material I had on television as a kid with just the basic, non-premium stations. TNT's MonsterVision with Joe Bob Briggs, TBS, USA, and the trio of movies FOX would show between noon and 6pm on the weekend were especially expansion for growing cinephile habits.

jestermon
11-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Yeah it's been a while, when these movies can out I never heard of the comic and it was just out a few years before and what the whole series was based on, it's not a big surprise that kids don't know about something that old.

It's like when someone redoes a song, unless you just happened to look it up or hear someone say it you might not never know if someone did it 20 years ago.

Star Wars makes even more sense if a kid started watching the prequels when it was young it makes sense they might not have went out and bought a 22 yo movie they didn't know existed.

Another example I am watching Roughnecks Starship Troopers Chronicles, unless you told some one they wouldn't know about a book that came out 38 years ago back in 1997, now it would be 55 years old.

sgtfbomb
11-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Star Wars makes even less sense as the prequel trilogy is directly connected to the original films. Almost all of the continuity points back to those films, which have continually been on store shelves, television, and in the news since their release, particularly when the prequels were coming out and especially now with the new films coming out. You'd have to repeatedly bash yourself in with a rock to never know they existed.

Leo656
11-19-2014, 07:15 PM
I still wouldn't put it past them. Scientifically speaking, humans are pretty much Textbook Definition Stupid until their brains stop developing around age 25. Never underestimate, especially, the ignorance of children. They are quite willfully ignorant.

I mean, I grew up in an era when there WERE no Star Wars prequels, and I still knew people who knew little to nothing of Star Wars until they were about 20. People say it's Elitist, but it's also True, to some degree people do need to be told what's "Good", or at least force-fed it so they can see for themselves. One of my best friends avoided and ignored "Star Wars" until she was about 19 because it seemed, on the surface, like it "wasn't her thing". But we used to do a thing where we'd take turns picking movies the other hadn't seen and watching them together, on the condition that we HAD to watch whatever was chosen, and once we had a good trust thing going I "made" her finally watch Star Wars, and after we got done with Jedi she actually thanked me. She never would have watched it unless I "forced" her, but she loved them afterwards.

So, sometimes people are dumb. I'm not surprised there are kids who've avoided Star Wars until now. It's old, therefore "Bad" or "Corny" to anyone younger than 20. Those younger than 20 will probably regard the prequels as the Good Trilogy, just because the movies are shinier. It's human nature.