PDA

View Full Version : TMNT Out of The Shadows 2?

MOJUTMNT
11-14-2014, 01:52 AM
Do you guys think it's possible for Redfly to redeem themselves and show us that they can do it right?

If so what could they do in their next game, open world ninja turtle action perhaps?
http://img3.gamersky.com/upload-news/200808/20080821140509515.jpg

Candy Kappa
11-14-2014, 02:03 AM
Open world makes no sense with a property like TMNT, it isn't GTA or Spider-Man 2. There is no need for an open world TMNT game, explorable levels, sure, but not open world, cause they are mutant ninja who hides from the public.

MOJUTMNT
11-14-2014, 03:01 AM
I hear ya, but other then that I think they should introduce the other villains. But since it's based off the Nickelodeon TMNT I have no clue if the new villains can be taken seriously. I know for a fact The Triceraton Republic and the Space Federation would.

MOJUTMNT
11-14-2014, 03:16 AM
Sorry haven't been on in awhile. Since my phone can't resize I'll just take it down for now.

Candy Kappa
11-14-2014, 03:29 AM
What's not to take serious? Chris is a master martial artist who gets mutated into a hulking brute that can swat cars, then he second-mutates into a skeleton wolf ninja.

Xever is a wicked street fighter with extreme switchblade proficiency and a very competent fighter himself, who mutates into a terrifying fish monster that wields a sword-switchblade as well as his knives. Cunning and deceitful.

They would have looked amazing in the OotS rendition. Then there's the Squirrelanoids, stealthy hunters that abduct people to spawn more Squirrelanoids, they are quick, in numbers and looks just as terrifying as their original counterpart they are based off.

Then there's Anton and Ivan, both as their human form and as their mutated Bebop and Rocksteady form. Anton is a master thief, agile, bomb user and can move across buildings with ease due to his special suit, stealth-tech (iirc) and a fun personality. Ivan is a weapons dealer, loads of guns, possibly having mercenaries under him in-game.

Baxter as a mutant fly. nuff' said

The Creep would look amazing as well in the OotS design, Snakeweed, Terror bears/Beavers. Slash, Newtralizer.

There's plenty from the Nick show to take from.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Open world makes no sense with a property like TMNT, it isn't GTA or Spider-Man 2. There is no need for an open world TMNT game, explorable levels, sure, but not open world, cause they are mutant ninja who hides from the public.

It could work. Just have a stealth system incorprated into the game along with the free roaming world..

Candy Kappa
11-14-2014, 07:10 AM
Which means plenty of dead spaces you either can't explore due to humans that will see you or don't even want too. A big level for exploration to give the illusion of free movement and less of a rail road sure, but an actual open world TMNT game, you have to at least to full Fred Wolf for it to even be a thing.

Bry
11-14-2014, 07:17 AM
Which means plenty of dead spaces you either can't explore due to humans that will see you or don't even want too. A big level for exploration to give the illusion of free movement and less of a rail road sure, but an actual open world TMNT game, you have to at least to full Fred Wolf for it to even be a thing.

Or Season One Nick it so Manhattan is inhabited by like 10 people. :D

I mean... I like the idea of an open world/sandbox TMNT game in theory, and a stealth-based game where you have to complete missions and avoid being spotted sounds amazing, but it'd take a lot of effort from the developers to pull it off, and this property doesn't have the best track record with that this decade.

Cryomancer
11-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Full on Mirage open world set in a roughly period-accurate miniature NYC/Northampton. If you're in a car, you're stealthy enough. Take the van when you need to drive. Otherwise use the sewers or rooftops.

Never happen but it's not like it COULDN'T work. Of course this would require the proper budget, team, and time to complete and TMNT games don't get all of those at once anymore so whatever.

Candy Kappa
11-14-2014, 07:37 AM
Or Season One Nick it so Manhattan is inhabited by like 10 people. :D

I mean... I like the idea of an open world/sandbox TMNT game in theory, and a stealth-based game where you have to complete missions and avoid being spotted sounds amazing, but it'd take a lot of effort from the developers to pull it off, and this property doesn't have the best track record with that this decade.

Yeah, but exploring back alleys and maybe a whole block would be a lot more efficient for stealth missions.

A bit like Splinter Cell: Conviction, Metal Gear Solid, Hitman etc, large levels with multiple approaches for completing the level, not full on running through NYC, it would be superfluous and unnecessary.

Open World sounds cool on paper, sure.

Leo656
11-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Unless it was more of a mission-based game I don't see the stealth stuff working that well. As others have said, in a more open-world type game, you'd have tons of dead space; they'd have to build a whole city just to stick you in the back alleys of it for 3/4 of the game, and that would be a huge waste.

I've always felt like a "true" TMNT game would be like a mix of Arkham's combat with Metal Gear Solid's overall structure and gameplay, with an upgrade system again similar to Arkham. That's what I'd like to see.

MOJUTMNT
11-14-2014, 12:44 PM
My God you took the words right out of my mouth. Also what about more playable characters other then the turtles so you can see the city. The C himself?

But yeah I've thought about what has been said and in the end I come to this. When you go top side there's a lot to explore but you are limited unless you wear a disguise or you're Casey, but underground you can find all sorts of hidden places like the 2003 series. And different maps like Assassin's Creed, for example Triceraton home world or Casey's old log cabin house on the outskirts of New York.

pingclang
11-14-2014, 12:58 PM
If they do another, I'd like to see a Prince of Persia: Sands of Time-style. How about some straight forward levels with high flying action. Throw in stealth so that when approaching an enemy you could take out an enemy if you're careful. I'd seriously flip out with something along those lines. Too many games go open world now, I just want to have fun. I don't have to have a huge map to explore, just plenty of action.

Bry
11-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but exploring back alleys and maybe a whole block would be a lot more efficient for stealth missions.

A bit like Splinter Cell: Conviction, Metal Gear Solid, Hitman etc, large levels with multiple approaches for completing the level, not full on running through NYC, it would be superfluous and unnecessary.

Open World sounds cool on paper, sure.

Exactly, yeah. It does sound great, but I don't trust the execution to live up to it, and the format isn't necessarily right anyway. Besides, at this point I'd settle for a legitimately good TMNT game of any kind.

I've always felt like a "true" TMNT game would be like a mix of Arkham's combat with Metal Gear Solid's overall structure and gameplay, with an upgrade system again similar to Arkham. That's what I'd like to see.

I don't know what just happened, but I'm suddenly at the games store, holding my wallet, and incredibly disappointed this doesn't exist.

Honestly, even a version of Out of the Shadows with some more time and effort put into it would be excellent. I still enjoy the game for what it is, but the bugginess and lack of polish are hard to ignore.

FoxBoxKid
11-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Unless it was more of a mission-based game I don't see the stealth stuff working that well. As others have said, in a more open-world type game, you'd have tons of dead space; they'd have to build a whole city just to stick you in the back alleys of it for 3/4 of the game, and that would be a huge waste.

Think about it. Let's say you're on the rooftops, looking down at the crowds, wishing you could interact with them. But you can't, or you would be inviting unwanted attention. Wouldn't that be a great way to convey the isolation of the turtles through gameplay?

MOJUTMNT
11-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Exactly, you feel how they feel a whole amazing city which you can't explore unless there is an unexpected power outage for a night, wink to Donnie. To quench that thirst for adventure you can switch over to Casey Jones.

TigerClaw
11-14-2014, 04:30 PM
As much as I would like a sequel to this be done, I seriously doubt it, The most recent games were based on the Nick Show, including Out of the Shadows, Which borrowed some of its assets.

DevilSpooky
11-14-2014, 06:44 PM
As long as Activision has the IP we can forget anything more than "ok" games, what they need to do is give the IP to Warner Bros. Interactive, that way they could grab Rocksteady and made them work on a Batman Arkham style game based on the original Mirage Comics, and let them make it as dark and gritty as they want. At the same time they could also put TT Games working on a LEGO TMNT with an original story based around on all version of the Turtles so far, kinda like Turtles Forever but with more versions of them, make it 4 players co-op drop in drop out and the kids would go nuts about it. Those 2 games alone would sell more copies then anything released this past 30 years together, and we would get the games this franchise deserves.

TigerClaw
11-14-2014, 06:50 PM
As long as Activision has the IP we can forget anything more than "ok" games, what they need to do is give the IP to Warner Bros. Interactive, that way they could grab Rocksteady and made them work on a Batman Arkham style game based on the original Mirage Comics, and let them make it as dark and gritty as they want. At the same time they could also put TT Games working on a LEGO TMNT with an original story based around on all version of the Turtles so far, kinda like Turtles Forever but with more versions of them, make it 4 players co-op drop in drop out and the kids would go nuts about it. Those 2 games alone would sell more copies then anything released this past 30 years together, and we would get the games this franchise deserves.
The problem is, They would probably have to get the approval of Nickelodeon, Who is also owned by Paramount, I doubt they would let a rival studio like Warner Bros access to TMNT.

DevilSpooky
11-14-2014, 07:09 PM
The problem is, They would probably have to get the approval of Nickelodeon, Who is also owned by Paramount, I doubt they would let a rival studio like Warner Bros access to TMNT.

Well, WB Interactive is not exactly the same, they had no problem getting the Pirates of the caribbean rights from Disney or the Star Wars ones from Lucasfilms, hell, Indiana Jones itself was partly owned by Paramount back in the day and they still made 2 LEGO games.

Gaming licensing rights are not as strict as movie ones.

Autbot_Benz
11-14-2014, 10:37 PM
it might be just me but I would love to see a Lego TMNT game like the Lego Batman games.

MOJUTMNT
11-15-2014, 01:59 AM
Sheesh you guys never fail to bring up great points. DevilSpooky I love your idea it's honestly what I would want and more. A gritty TMNT game for the teens and adults and a Lego TMNT for the kids and adults who want to play alongside their children. I really love that idea. Not to mention it would be in Rocksteady's favor due to the roomer from way back about them working on a TMNT game based off the comics. Me and so many other TMNT fans were freaking out. But we all soon ran into the breck wall of disappointment after finding out it was a roomer.

But if you were WB you'd take note that it just could work out. But sadly the Arkham team did so well on bringing the Batman to life because they loved it. In an interview one of them stated that the roomered TMNT game wouldn't have been so hot due to the fact that they're Batman fans not TMNT, they don't know their universes well. Don't quote me cause it's been a while.

In short they don't really know TMNT like they know Batman and that they wouldn't make it as great and in depth as the Arkham series.

The Stryker
11-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Think about it. Let's say you're on the rooftops, looking down at the crowds, wishing you could interact with them. But you can't, or you would be inviting unwanted attention. Wouldn't that be a great way to convey the isolation of the turtles through gameplay?

So you want the PS1 Spider-Man games?

Watch out Turtles! Poisonous gas has filled the streets!

I'm sorry. I really dislike the whole 'open world but you only get to really have fun in like half of it" thing that people keep bringing up. Sandbox games are supposed to be just that. A wide open playground to explore and do whatever.

Saying "Open world sandbox!" And then immediately tossing down giant fences and rules? Lame and tedious.

Just have a simple level based game with good gameplay and maybe stealth stuff thrown in. The open world stuff besides the dumb restrictions just wouldn't work because honestly the TMNT NYC just isn't that interesting. It's not Gotham or Spider-Man's NYC where traversal is unique and there are dozens of standout landmarks to see and explore.

Cryomancer
11-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Even more never happening: late Mirage game. Now you can have your open world NYC, complete with alien pedestrians.

slingtheory
11-15-2014, 03:48 PM
So you want the PS1 Spider-Man games?

Watch out Turtles! Poisonous gas has filled the streets nah that's like apples and oranges. That gas thing in spiderman was done because they wanted to let the player Web swing around new york but they had technical limitations when it came creating the city. This idea would be about purposely driving home how separate from society the main characters are. I like the idea but I wouldn't make open world. If I was going to make an open world tmnt I'd pull a rocksteady and come up with a reason for the city to be mostly evacuated. Like an alien or mutant invasion or something

MOJUTMNT
11-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Like a Triceraton invasion? Would be pretty dope especially because it would kind of be like TMNT Manhattan Project or like Mission of Gravity (2003 TMNT)

slingtheory
11-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Like a Triceraton invasion? Would be pretty dope especially because it would kind of be like TMNT Manhattan Project or like Mission of Gravity (2003 TMNT)
That did come to mind at first but now after thinking about it I'm imagining a trilogy building up to the last game in the series having new york over run by an invading army of ultroms (or kraang)
and mutants and ending with the guys having to take down the technodrome.

MOJUTMNT
11-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Awesome! I hear yah, but I'm thinking it would be good to introduce the many other enemies of the series, even a few from other comics and series as easter eggs. Like Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks how you had to find Ermac, Kanno, Melina, and the Tournament Mode. If there are going to be secrets and easter eggs they have to be interactive.

nellyp
11-17-2014, 02:45 PM
It could work. Just have a stealth system incorprated into the game along with the free roaming world..

Exactly

The open world concept would work if they did a lot of rooftop travel and also there would need to be a fully modeled Sewer system for them to travel in so in open public areas you would need to go below ground to travel or else travel by vehicle (shellraiser). An open world makes perfect sense as long as the turtles are not just running down the street in the middle of the day.

Going on a Mission to pursue Shredder and hearing a cry from an alley and dropping down on an unsuspecting mugger would be Excellent.

As far as Redfly redeeming themselves given their track record I don't think they can. They just aren't very good.

Leo656
11-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Games that are predominantly stealth don't sell or play well, though. It works as an *element* of a game but having a huge open-world NYC and only being able to traverse it by rooftops or back alleys for most of the game frankly sounds boring as hell, especially if the game "Forced" you to use stealth as some games do; as in, if you're discovered, enemies swarm you and you're more or less insta-killed. Would it add "Realism" or "Tension"? Yeah, but the game wouldn't be any fun and nobody would play it.

Plus, what would you need the open-world for anyway? To drive the Turtle Van? To go pick up pizza? To run around and collect 100 balloons to artifically add to the game's length like in other open-world "super-hero" games? Let's just be honest, who honestly gives a sh*t about any of that? MOST of the game would be, and should be, based around action and combat.

I maintain that other than a straight-up action/beat-'em-up, TMNT would BEST work as a straight-up rip-off of Arkham or Metal Gear Solid, where they have both stealth and combat where it makes sense to do one or the other, not Just To Do It. That's why I like Out of the Shadows more than some, it's the closest we're probably going to get anytime soon to a "complete" TMNT experience and not a beat-'em-up. The stealth sections were sparse, and you didn't NEED to be stealthy, but it was done in places where it would make sense. Open-world isn't necessary; it's only really fun in about half the games that do it, the rest of them would be just as well-served as a linear, mission-based experience, they just did an open-world game because for a while, everyone did. But it's not ideal for everything, and it's not ideal for a TMNT game. I can see how it would look like it could work on the surface, but trust me... you'd be doing so much Nothing in between missions it would be insane.

Likewise, a Lego TMNT game: I see the appeal, but not the point, other than Everyone Else Gets A Lego Game And TMNT Should Too. And I won't disagree with that. But you've played it before. You've played the exact same game when it was Lego Star Wars, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Batman, Lego Harry Potter, etc. etc. etc. I enjoy those games too, but they're identical other than the licensed veneer. I'd buy it, but it's in no way necessary and I'm in no rush to see it happen.

MOJUTMNT
11-18-2014, 10:31 AM
I have to disagree with you on that one, in my honest opinion I think a open world TMNT game will work. If you feel too limited ether have Donnie create a power outage or switch to Casey Jones who will have his own story mode. Also they can make it so there is always something to do like Ultimate Spider-Man and GTA SA, if you hang out around an area for too long crazy things happen in SA. Say you are on the rooftops with the turtles and Splinter a portal opens up and the big dude from the Battle Nexus Tournament comes out to kill you. Seems random but **** like that happens in TMNT. Also at night the map shows you empty sections of the city thanks to Donnie's custom Shell Cell app, but if some how you are spotted some people will be in such disbelief they assume you're wearing a frog costume, happens a lot. There are many ways we can make it work out.

It's time we had a TMNT game that really makes you feel like the turtles with no restrictions. If you get bored of the game it is what you make it. If I get bored in open world games I try to find new things which in the end always turns out I find something crazy and wicked, those games where GTA SA, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, and GTA V. What these games have in common is that they are realistic games which people would assume have a lot of restrictions.

Candy Kappa
11-18-2014, 10:41 AM
It sounds nice on paper. But realizing it, not so much.

Leo656
11-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I mean it's not exactly like there's a company that would ever put the amount of necessary work into it to make it as GOOD as any of those other games that were mentioned. Let's just be real: Ain't happenin'. There just ain't ever gonna be any "Triple-A" TMNT game, at least not as long as it remains a "Kids' Franchise". So let's curb our enthusiasm and expectations a little.

Further, San Andreas and the rest of those really, honestly, are OVERdone. For all the "freedom" it gives you, you still spend a lot of time doing either Nothing or just the most trivial, boring stuff ever, just so they can boast hundreds of hours of gameplay, which isn't that impressive when you realize most of it is either getting from A to B or playing Virtual Darts. I think you're over-estimating the amount of people who would want to randomly walk around doing Just About Nothing in a TMNT game.

GTA with a TMNT skin sounds nice. It probably wouldn't be if they actually made it. The attention on making it "Big" would entirely overshadow making it Fun. Plus, it wouldn't be a good company making it, anyway, it would be some smaller group with budget and deadline problems. There's no way it could ever happen. Sorry. Not for this franchise. Not while it's Just For Kids. If a "real" developer ever got their hands on the license and they actually wanted to take three or so years and do it, then maybe. MAYBE. But the game you're asking for would take a series of minor miracles to ever happen.

nellyp
11-18-2014, 12:50 PM
If you wanted to do open world and reduce the reliance on stealth you would just need to incorporate something similar to the wanted level in GTA. If someone sees you they will freak out and your level goes up but stay out of the light long enough and you will be ok. If enough people see you then you may end up on the news with a blurry photo snapped by a cellphone and the police will be on the look out for you but over time you are forgotten about. You need not have 50 foot soldiers come out of nowhere and thrash you just because you were standing on a street corner.

Variety of missions are what open world games live and die by and fetch quests and collectibles are par for the course. If it was something like collecting lost mutagen canisters that fell from a krang ship I am sure people would be more forgiving since it is from the show.

Regardless of which style of game we would get next, having rooftops which they only give you one side you can climb down is not what we want. Redfly's game was way too fenced in and the art in the cutscenes was so bad it looked like the artist drew them with his left hand that got crushed in a car door.

I had high hopes for Danger of the Ooze but I hear the overall quality on that is low too. Soon I will plop down my money for that too though cause I am more of a dedicated TMNT fan than the ppl making them.

MOJUTMNT
11-18-2014, 02:39 PM
I agree with the key aspects of which you stated Leo656. It's just too high a task for it to be done by Redfly. It would truly take a dedicated team to develop such a game.

And yes nellyp, I see what you mean as well. To in trust such a huge task to Redfly is in fact a bad idea.

But Danger of the Ooze? First I'm hearing about this.

MOJUTMNT
11-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Just saw it I wouldn't consider buying that myself. That's showing them they can release anything and expect to get money for it. I'm too old for that anyways.

Bry
11-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I mean it's not exactly like there's a company that would ever put the amount of necessary work into it to make it as GOOD as any of those other games that were mentioned. Let's just be real: Ain't happenin'. There just ain't ever gonna be any "Triple-A" TMNT game, at least not as long as it remains a "Kids' Franchise". So let's curb our enthusiasm and expectations a little.

GTA with a TMNT skin sounds nice. It probably wouldn't be if they actually made it. The attention on making it "Big" would entirely overshadow making it Fun. Plus, it wouldn't be a good company making it, anyway, it would be some smaller group with budget and deadline problems. There's no way it could ever happen. Sorry. Not for this franchise. Not while it's Just For Kids. If a "real" developer ever got their hands on the license and they actually wanted to take three or so years and do it, then maybe. MAYBE. But the game you're asking for would take a series of minor miracles to ever happen.

Honestly, at this point our best bet for a truly good-to-great modern TMNT game might be some really talented and dedicated fans making a modded version out of something else entirely. If anyone who's got a knack for that sort of thing might get the idea somehow.

http://media.giphy.com/media/mfIWRa7QT96z6/giphy.gif

Candy Kappa
11-19-2014, 10:02 AM
I know if I had the time and patience, I'd make OotS mods. I got the in-game models and the UT3 Editor somewhere in my storage. But, I lack the patience for bug testing and coding, hate coding.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-19-2014, 02:45 PM
If anyone's ever played the Sly Trilogy, the second two games have a system where it is free roaming, but if guards spot you, they chase and try to attack you.

I think something like that would be extremely good for a TMNT Game.

MOJUTMNT
11-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Ohhh yeah, I thought about that big time. Would be sick to have the map of New York from the Amazing Spider-Man game and TMNT Out of the Shadows combat system, and the Assassin's Creed free running motions.

The Stryker
11-20-2014, 06:28 AM
I don't think the Assassin's Creed engine would work with a city that's like 90% gigantic buildings though.

LeoRaph
11-22-2014, 06:30 PM
I seriously can't see why there can't be an open world game but keep it at night just like the Arkham games.

There HAS to be stealth otherwise what's the point of being a ninja. If the gameplay were something between Tenchu, POP Sands of Time & The Two Thrones and the Arkhams it could work really well. Side missions would be cool too, as well as Having a 'spotted' metre where you'd be able to mix in some human NPCs to stop the levels from being a ghost town and making it more challenging.

Arkham City and Origins have the perfect level design templates for TMNT you have sewers, side streets, rooftops, interactive buildings all that's missing is a Game Developer of Rocksteady's level to do the same for TMNT. You mix this in with stealth, a spotted metre, Arkham combat, a mix of Arkham, POP TTT and tenchu like stealth, POP SOT & POP TTT Acrobatics, side missions and you have a perfect TMNT game. The only question that remains can stealth and multi player work together? Otherwise it would have to be One player.

OOTS was close but so clunky. I have faith that it can be done and done well. Just a matter of when.

Cryomancer
11-23-2014, 07:11 AM
You could always go to opposite direction and do an open world game based on the old show. No one gave a **** when the turtles walked around there. As much as I get tired of the "only this show was good" nostalgia stuff this franchise suffers, that might almost make for a decently fun game, depending.