PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a song/band

pennydreadful
11-15-2014, 02:04 AM
A thread for people to suggest songs/bands that they think others might like, and a thread for people to put in genre requests if they want to expand their music taste but don't know where to start.

Put in as much (or as little) info/discussion on the suggestions as you like. :)

I'll kick this sucker off with the following recs - I don't usually listen to a lot of hip hop but this is a track that I think even people who aren't into the genre will enjoy (and is also brilliant for night-time listening and driving alone):

Track: The City Sleeps
Artist: MC 900 Ft Jesus
Genre: Hip Hop

If you liked the soundtracks for the Blade movies, or if you're into trip-hop, you'll probably get a kick out of this. :)

3KB54p8_wh8

Rec #2 is for anyone who liked the POD track off the TMNT 2007 album and would like to hear more with that kind of sound.

Track: Black
Artist: Sevendust
Genre: Alt Metal

Their track "Enemy" got a lot of play with WWE but if you're looking for something that's a little less on-the-nose (or nu-metally), these guys have 9 albums worth of stuff and you're bound to find something in there that you'll like. Sevendust have a fair bit of diversity in their style - they range from rock to heavy metal and are heavy enough to relax you after a bad day but not heavy enough to increase your anger levels exponentially.

Apologies for the terribly cheesy video but I couldn't really find any decent ones on Youtube; regardless, the song itself is good.

5OCeKdXecUk

Gunpowder
11-16-2014, 01:17 AM
When I hear that first one you listed, I can't help but think of the Knuckles stages from Sonic Adventure 2:

/SZXGzki_qww?list=PLDvSxHCSFUlVsHlttaMPOUDfYQF28zjx q

/5tjq1iVYiiE

^^ Some examples of great video game music, right there. (Mostly everything from that game is great)

And I KNOW that I've heard of Sevendust, but I've never heard any of their stuff til now. They sound a lot like Disturbed, which a friend of mine got me into a while back (but I haven't listened to them as much recently).

I don't wanna say this is similar to Sevendust, because it's much lighter and has a female singer, but it's in the same ballpark, anyway...sort of:

Song: Moving to Seattle
Artist: The Material
Genre: Alternative Rock

/yWXMfoTHHis

^^ The quality here doesn't do it justice, but still awesome. Check out that entire EP if you have the time, because it's just godly.

What I usually do to discover new artists is make a playlist of different songs/bands (some that I already love, and some that are completely new to me), listen to that for a while, then look up more by a particular artist on that list if I find myself going back to their song(s).

Here's one playlist I made for myself over the summer (alternative rock, for the most part):

1. Billy Talent - Fallen Leaves
2. Cute Is What We Aim For - Practice Makes Perfect
3. Ghost Town - You're So Creepy (original version)
4. Daphne Loves Derby - Hammers and Hearts
5. The Hush Sound - We Intertwined
6. Get Scared - Badly Broken
7. A Loss For Words - All This Time
8. Nocturnal Me - Without You
9. The Offspring - Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell
10. Third Eye Blind - Sharp Knife
11. Capital Cities - Kangaroo Court
12. Fireworks - Arrows
13. Lucky Boys Confusion - Hey Driver
14. Sister Hazel - All For You
15. U2 - Mysterious Ways
16. Paramore - Ain't It Fun
17. The Go! Team - Panther Dash
18. The Flaming Lips - The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song (instrumental version)

I ended up loving almost this entire list, so you really can't go wrong with anything here - take your pick. You should really give #18 a listen, if nothing else. :twink: :tlol: Here, I'll even save you the trouble of searching for it:

/sEsNIVkBCK8

PangolinFeets
11-16-2014, 01:53 AM
Penny, I don't listen to a lot of HipHop, but that first track was pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. :)

I love cellos and anything in the 'fat stringed' category, of which I made up. I love anything that sounds kinda haunting and songs that have to do with history or any other kind of interesting subject matter. But I listen to mostly anything of quality (Favs are Florence and the Machine, Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Amanda Palmer, The Studio Killers, The Clash, The Misfits, Philip Glass, Policia, The Offspring, Outkast, Three, Pain of Salvation)...I like a mix.

I'm glad to see some video game music here. I love the OSTs for any Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross/Trigger, Silent Hill, Shadow of the Colossus, etc. Sonic music is also pretty rad. I hit up OCRemix for most of my music. Good stuff there.

My favorite band ever is Rasputina. They're style changes a lot throughout the ages and tends to be about little girls fighting monsters or historical events. If you like classical music with a modern dark twist, they're pretty lovely.
If you've ever heard Zoe Keating's music then you have an idea of what they sound like. Zoe was a founding member of Rasputina before launching her insanely successful solo career. And Melora, the lead singer and celloist, has played with many other bands including Nirvana and Marilyn Manson.

Here's a 'heavier' song of theirs called Draconian Crackdown.
http://youtu.be/OG2MSfa-pCM

And here's a softer song called Any Old Actress.
http://youtu.be/VwbHekgEDRs?list=RDVwbHekgEDRs

(I don't know how to embed youtube videos. =/)

pennydreadful
11-16-2014, 03:33 AM
**DISCLAIMER: Folks, check the volume settings on your computer before you play any of these videos; Youtube is bringing them up for me at max volume and I don't want anyone getting their ears blasted with the opening notes on anything they check out...**

Sweet; I don't know much of anything about video-game music so I'm glad there are some folks here who can make some contributions - hopefully I can pick up some new stuff that I'll like too!

Good rec list, Gunpowder - I've sussed out a few and have the others on my list to listen to through the week. I enjoyed what I've heard so far; I especially liked tracks 3 and 18 - I really dug the Flaming Lips track. I've only heard two of theirs before, both of which I really like (Bad Days and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots). Think I'll have to check out a bit more of their stuff...

Well if you dig Ghost Town, you might like the album This Is Bat Country by Short Stack; they're an Australian pop punk band. I don't really dig the rest of their stuff but I do enjoy that album.

Sx4ssWgRpts

Here's another fun little punky track from The Queers - if you like The Dropkick Murphys, you'll enjoy these guys; they're foul-mouthed, irreverent fun:

503sqO5RbAs

Pangolin, if you enter [ YOUTUBE ] (without the spaces) in your reply, then rightclick the video you want in youtube and hit 'copy url', then paste it in. Then just delete everything from http: up to the v= part, so you're only putting in the string of letters and numbers that comes up after v= ... then just add [ /YOUTUBE ] (again without the spaces). I apologize in advance if my explanation sucks... another way around it is to just hit 'quote' in your reply and you can see how other people have done the embed that way!

So I see you like cello - do you dig Apocalyptica? I love anything with violins or cellos as well, so can offer a fair few suggestions! You'd probably really like a track called In Sumerian Haze by Sirenia, if you've not heard it before. I'd also recommend checking out My Dying Bride if you haven't already - they're a bloody fantastic doom metal band (actually in my top three bands of all time) and a chunk of their tracks have violins included... I'll link some in here later (I don't want to flood the thread with too many suggestions at once!).

You've probably already heard this track before but I'll throw it in anyway for those who haven't; the folks here who enjoy video game soundtracks might like the synthpop feel of The Cruxshadows:
qGjK6hKahU8

I had tried Rasputina a while ago but not in a very long time - think I might have to give their discography another run-through as I think I had been confusing my memory of them with Cadaveria.

Ok, this next track I'm throwing in is kind of an unusual mix-up; it's violin hip-hop... so if anyone here likes violins or hip-hop, you'll probably dig this.

The band is called Nuttin' But Strinz and the track is Broken Sorrow:

2S3WtJYgy1Q

Candy Kappa
11-16-2014, 04:24 AM
I've gotten a liking for the band Bad Pollyana.

LjpEsohLBZo
http://youtu.be/LjpEsohLBZo

Mzx10484
11-16-2014, 05:30 AM
i5dxMv_F6Rw

Leo656
11-16-2014, 10:08 PM
9. The Offspring - Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell

Ohhh, I LOVE that F'n song. You know what goes great with that song? This Video: 8)
OcYG7aSPpD8

Don't say I never gave ya nothin'. :tcool:

pennydreadful
11-16-2014, 11:01 PM
I was wondering how long it'd take for the mention of The Offspring to bring you running, Leo. :lol:

Mzx and CK, good suggestions - I enjoyed listening to both of them. :)

Leo656
11-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Combined with the opportunity to pimp my sh*t, it was really impossible to resist. 8)

Gunpowder
11-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Ohhh, I LOVE that F'n song. You know what goes great with that song? This Video: 8)
OcYG7aSPpD8

Don't say I never gave ya nothin'. :tcool:

Yeah dude, that song's awesome. :thyper: Is that you in that video?

Leo656
11-16-2014, 11:38 PM
Yes. More stuff in the link in my sig.

Gunpowder
11-16-2014, 11:53 PM
You're one dedicated wrestler. Great to finally meet another Offspring fan...hardly anyone I know listens to them anymore (kinda blows).

Leo656
11-16-2014, 11:54 PM
They're great. People are dumb. :tgrin:

Gunpowder
11-16-2014, 11:55 PM
Agreed! :twink: What's your favorite album of theirs?

Leo656
11-17-2014, 12:06 AM
Probably Smash. They all have some of my favorite stuff on them, though. Conspiracy of One comes in last, it was okay, just weak.

Last time I saw Offspring, this band, Dead Sara, opened for them (and some say stole the show). They're f*cking unbelievable. Their second album is coming out, everyone should get it.
y5vr_Vhoumc

I had a Highlight Reel done to that song, too. Here. :tcool:
vgFDuYMHzRI

Gunpowder
11-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Probably Smash. They all have some of my favorite stuff on them, though. Conspiracy of One comes in last, it was okay, just weak.

Last time I saw Offspring, this band, Dead Sara, opened for them (and some say stole the show). They're f*cking unbelievable.

Yeah, Smash is good, and probably the most popular they've had - but I'll always love Ixnay the most (Americana's pretty great, too). And Dead Sara does sound pretty sweet - I just might look into that upcoming album of theirs.

And Penny, I really liked what you posted. :tgrin: Short Stack sounds instrumentally similar to Muse; and that song by The Queers reminds me of this (a TAD explicit, so be warned):

/270zkeUm7KA
(basically the best song ever made :tlol:)

pennydreadful
11-17-2014, 04:12 AM
Can't lie, I'm digging the Dead Sara vibe - can't believe I hadn't heard of them...

Glad you've liked some of the suggestions so far Gunpowder - I'll work up some more punk stuff for later posts that hopefully you'll enjoy as well. :)

Ok, let's kick the noise level up a notch huh?

First, we've got Wendy O Williams - known for her solo career as well as lead singer of the punk band The Plasmatics. She rocked hard and loud and I maintain she would've totally beaten Sid Vicious in a fistfight.

Now, I cannot link a video of any of her live performances as Wendy was nooooot a real big fan of large amounts of clothing while performing... and I don't want to get in trouble here. So I'm just going to leave you with this and who knows, maybe you'll like her jive enough to check out a little more:

fAcO345bg0Y

Next we've got a lesser-known band called Shocker X (previously known as Shocker Stalin). Come for the great vocals, stay to marvel at the gorgeously androgynous singer (or maybe that's just me)....

3CdvyS-VPBQ

Last but not least is a Finnish rock band called Bitch Alert; unfortunately they split in 2007 but they did put out 4 albums prior to that. More of a light riot-grrl rock vibe; this is one of their heavier tracks and is one of their better-known singles.

rnvLeFfcN0Q

Zarana-X
11-17-2014, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=pennydreadful;1379955

First, we've got Wendy O Williams - known for her solo career as well as lead singer of the punk band The Plasmatics. She rocked hard and loud and I maintain she would've totally beaten Sid Vicious in a fistfight.

[/QUOTE]

Love Wendy O. and the Plasmatics. I've got the entire discography, except for the Ultra-Fly and the Hometown Girls. I've got a promo copy of Beyond the Valley of 1984/Metal Priestess split CD from PVC records. Even got Coup de'tat on Capitol vinyl, New Hope for the Wretched on pink vinyl, and her first solo album as a picture disc.

For my reccomends; First is my pal's band All Hail the Crimson King, or AHTCK, pronounced attack. It's a pretty good metal/rock vibe. You can find them on Youtube, Pandora and Reverbnation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZ3or1qnuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yy1Pku-_LE&list=UUtyWwo6PkmmD6zc2TAuKqaA
I enjoy their cover of a C-Lo Green song, another song about Zombies, which are NSFW, I guess.

Second is a Punk band from Las Vegas. The Objex. Their lead singer is what I imagine if Wendy O. Williams and Tina Turner had a baby. You cna find more of their stuff on Reverbnation. Most of it is NSFW, I suppose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AVeLgL-Qeo

Third is a metal/industrial/goth band, also form the Las Vegas area. If you enjoy old Marilyn Mason, Skinny Puppy, or White Zombie, check out Element A440. Most of their stuff is also on Reverbnation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q7ziEcVnGU

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-17-2014, 01:24 PM
http://cdn-7.famouslogos.us/images/led-zeppelin-logo.jpg

Gunpowder
11-17-2014, 10:03 PM
...is it bad that I only know of Wendy O. Williams because there's a koopaling named after her?

http://i62.tinypic.com/66c8ls.jpg

But in all seriousness, I'm liking the direction this thread's taking; getting into much heavier stuff. I think I liked that Shocker X song a lot more because of the video that went with it...snakes are awesome, what can I say. :tcool: Not usually a fan of music like that, but the video had me intrigued. And I did end up liking the song. Wendy O. was great, too. I'll be looking into more of her stuff. Thanks Penny. :trazz:

Zarana, your videos aren't working, but I looked into The Objex and ended up liking them a lot. :twink: Thanks for the share.

Led Zeppelin's great, too. Immigrant Song is so mesmerizing it's ridiculous.

Since we're posting heavy music, here's some stuff by Deftones (kickass band I got introduced to early this year):

/M0bfdR8IPJM

/sTPn4Jlrjb0

(two of their more popular tracks)

And here's something more melodic, to lighten the mood a bit.

/_Xw8G2UWqaA

Zarana-X
11-18-2014, 12:43 PM
I fixed them so they work as links. I can't get the embedded version to work:ohwell:

DarkFell
11-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Since I saw a couple of StH tracks on this thread..
b8Ty2-w1O10

Leo656
11-18-2014, 10:14 PM
I've posted this before but it's terrific so it's okay.
DSNyOYT3dJ8

"May You Find My Darkness..."

Gunpowder
11-19-2014, 09:30 AM
I fixed them so they work as links. I can't get the embedded version to work:ohwell:
Ah. No worries, it took me some time to figure out too. You've gotta find the video on youtube, click "share", copy the link in the box, paste that link in-between the brackets on here, then delete the "http://youtu.be" portion and [url] brackets. And it should work. Lotta steps, I know... :tconfuse:

Since I saw a couple of StH tracks on this thread..

Dude, hell yeah. Sonic music is where it's at. 8) Here's some more:
[YOUTUBE]/AawL0sMy0Rs
/pFDdqSuuNAw
/3mQxjPNIA5Q

I've posted this before but it's terrific so it's okay.
"May You Find My Darkness..."

You know, I've been meaning to look into more of AFI's stuff for some time now. "Terrific" indeed. I'd mention that I love Miss Murder, but I don't wanna sound mainstream. :tanime:

Leo656
11-19-2014, 02:07 PM
:tlol: No worries. It's perfectly fine. Everything AFI has ever done is SO much better than everything everyone else has ever done. :tcool: Here's another good'n off the same album, "Burials", which came out last Fall. It sounds quite a bit like some of the best Cure stuff:
Y9Vh8XGgqjE

And then there's this one, "Heart Stops", the prettiest and most upbeat "Sad" song ever:
3CAC_IPnLGM

Anyone ever tries to give you crap about AFI, Gunpowder, just kick 'em in the codpiece. Despair Faction 4 Life, yo. :tcool:

pennydreadful
11-23-2014, 12:37 AM
Finally getting off my butt to throw some more updates in here.

Gunpowder, if you like AFI and The Deftones, you might also like Breaking Benjamin, 30 Seconds to Mars, Filter or Cold (if you haven't tried them already).

Zarana, I really enjoyed your recs; they were tight. Element A440 were especially great; I think I'll have to add them to my repertoire.

Okies, first rec I'm throwing in is a personal fave of mine - if anybody here likes The Cramps (and let's face it - everybody likes The Cramps), you'll enjoy this track by a voodoobilly band called Deadbolt.

M6o-z_l9B1g

Next track is from one of my fave female-fronted metal bands; they're a French band called Eths -- warning for screaming and growling vocals.

S97oUM_fjs8

Last but certainly not least, we've got another one of my fave female-fronted metal bands: My Ruin. This is a particular track which I like to spin when I'm feeling cranky - language warning and screaming vocals in parts.

cjBNeejjrSc

My next batch of updates here will be lighter, but I was in the mood for some heavier stuff today. :P

Leo656
11-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Posted this one elsewhere, but it's an oft-overlooked modern classic and most people haven't heard it, and that's a real shame. Because it's really, really good.
orb1XjT5L2w

EDIT: F*ck it, here's another one. It's Sunday.
AoOhm-RK-ug

Lethal Lullaby
11-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Ooh I like recommending music. :tgrin: I'll just put the first song I've heard from each of these different bands/Artists.

Voltaire
4z8GK-Ikwbo

Creature Feature
lOloCN0Y7DA

Emilie Autumn
qwy9yk1d7Tk

Midnight Syndicate
FFUIIfa38Yo

Nox Arcana
wfUGtfpYzCM

Well. That's pretty much all I've got for now. Hopefully at least someone else will find some interest in these. >//u//<

pennydreadful
12-01-2014, 03:04 AM
Hey Lethal - you had some really good recs there! Here's one for you by a funky little female-fronted hard rock/goth band called Lesbian Bed Death:

ghHjf91Tjlw

You might also like this track from a dark electronic band called Attrition (if you haven't heard it before):

y7Pvj8ba4wI

And for the fun of it, now I'm gonna throw in some cover recs for everyone.

First up, I know we have a few Lady Gaga fans in the house: this is a hard rock cover of Bad Romance which will probably appeal to non-Gaga fans as well; IMO it has much more balls than the original version.

8vmhnxVF1GU

Next up is a cover of Uriah Heep's hit single, "Lady In Black", by a Finnish folk metal band called Ensiferum. Again, I think this version has a lot of balls and I listen to this track constantly. Sh*t gets real at 1.28.

3_gUHMoehZA

And last but certainly not least, here's System of a Down's cover of Black Sabbath's "Snowblind".

PIs2vKCksl8

Lethal Lullaby
12-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Ooh :tangel: Thanks for the recommendations, penny! Also I really like SOAD, so seeing that song was great. :3

Well I've got some more recs for anyone interested. ^u^

Down Aka Kilo (I heard this song after watching Cholo Comedy Slam-Don't ask- and lol I really liked it.)
gItT2XTcW64

NB Ridaz (I think since my mom and older cousin would play this music a lot in the car when I was young I've just grown a liking for it.)
33NF705-MlU

Kevin Lyttle (Some years back I would only listen to any CDs I could find around the house, and most of the time it'd be from my older cousin's room or sometimes my mom's. Anyways this was one of the other singers I grew a liking to.)
YT22WzwOM4E

Melanie Martinez (Just recently found this person after watching an AHS trailer.)
2OrpN1jojO8

Serj Tankain (My boyfriend showed me this. I think it's really good, especially since this guy is from SOAD. :tlove: )
-CxKA1uETxE

Lonely Island (a friend showed me a lot of their music. I think they're pretty amusing.)
NisCkxU544c

Well there's some more recs from me. Lol.

Brooke507
12-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Can anyone please recommend some good female singers from England like Ellie Goulding?

Leo656
12-14-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm not huge into rap but I love the beat and the lyrics to this one. It was in a bunch of wrestling games a few years ago so I got addicted to it. Some stuff I get sick of the more I hear it, and other stuff I just wanna hear more of.

ZHOKFV-H31s

This one's great too.
DvAAw2PhmTA

DarkFell
12-15-2014, 02:45 PM
cSxRzy6cxCg
Liked this song back then. Surprised to find it today.

Whatswiththeheadbands?
12-31-2014, 10:03 AM
I was quite vague with my Led Zeppelin Answer, so here is some of their songs that I really like.

First, we have their most famous track (also my favorite song ever):
w9TGj2jrJk8
Next, something more obscure (my second favorite song by them):
q_CqSWUZDJg
Something more acoustic:
eXVlcIiCOuo
And something just awesome:
ZQgYn23Xvck

Zarana-X
12-31-2014, 05:35 PM
Green Day and Blink 182 get a lot of flak for being pop-punk. ( I don't care for Blink 182, or the newish Green Day myself) But the Descendents/All were doing it in the 80's and was a big influence on those and a lot of other bands.

All - Wishing Well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO-hBUCyWyo

All - Skin Deep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iBSolVNxI4

Descendents - Hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHd-PLgKlbs

Descendents - Pervert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7JtD6WI72E

Gunpowder
02-05-2015, 04:47 PM
I totally forgot this thread existed... Here's a pretty kickass instrumental band that I've been addicted to lately:

/Dss8_-TLPA0