PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who thinks this is like Spectacular Spiderman?

The Turtle Terminator
11-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Seriously? Look at it, there are so many similarities:

Character Arcs
Plot Development
Comic Stories
Cancelled too early
Great Animation
Excellent main voice cast
Replaced with a show that wasn't as good (not saying 2k12 is bad, but it is fractionally worse that 2k3)

Am I the only person who puts these two together (since they had the same qualities and were replaced too early)?

neatoman
11-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Well I dont know about "cancelled too soon", it did get seven seasons after all.

Candy Kappa
11-18-2014, 03:03 PM
Um, not really.

TurtleTitan97
11-18-2014, 03:36 PM
As much as I like the show, it's not even on the same level of Spectacular Spider-Man.

FoxBoxKid
11-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Spectacular Spider-Man got a complete series Blu-Ray. And the current TMNT show is actually good, as opposed to the current Spider-Man show. So to answer your *ahem* question (seriously, use a question mark), most likely.

snake
11-18-2014, 05:08 PM
I'll probably get a lot of flak for this, but Spec Spidey was way better then this show. Nothing comes close to that show for me.

CyberCubed
11-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Spectacular only has 26 episodes, so even though it was a good series, it seriously can't compare to a 157 episode series with a movie.

Maybe if Spectacular got a decent run before it was canceled.

snake
11-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Spectacular only has 26 episodes, so even though it was a good series, it seriously can't compare to a 157 episode series with a movie.

Yes it can. Quality over quantity.

Netkeeper
11-19-2014, 12:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/dqp3D02.png

tmntpower1988
11-19-2014, 09:10 AM
I haven't watched the full series of Spectacular Spider-man, only seen a few clips of it on Youtube. Planning on buying the series on DVD at the end of the month. I'll decide when I see it, can't judge by a few clips.

k_lala
11-19-2014, 09:27 AM
The 4Kids show was not cancelled early. It got to finish how they wanted to finish. Fast Forward and BTTS was just extra shows to top it off.

Spiderman could have been the best spiderman show ever if they had longevity. You can compare Spiderman to Young Justice. Both amazing shows that ended early. (Also produced by the same person).

Whatswiththeheadbands?
11-19-2014, 12:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dqp3D02.png

What is that from? You seem to post it alot.

Davetello
11-19-2014, 11:44 PM
I've only seen the first season of Spectacular Spider-Man, and it was, well...'spectacular'.

I don't really see any similarities between it and this show though, other than the New York setting and some very intelligent character development.

Netkeeper
11-20-2014, 12:58 AM
What is that from? You seem to post it alot.
It's from a Cards Against Humanity game. I post it whenever someone asks if they're the only one.

Bry
11-21-2014, 06:08 AM
Kind of hard to compare. Spectacular didn't run long enough, while TMNT 2003 ran a bit too long, so it's hard for me to look at them from an "equal" perspective. I love both shows, but while TMNT 2003 at its best is great, it wasn't near as consistently great as Spectacular Spider-Man was. So I wouldn't exactly put them on the same level.

Somewhat related... IMO, The Spectacular Spider-Man was easily the best non-comics version of that entire property. Would you say the same about TMNT 2003? For me it's a toss-up. I'd want to give that nod to the 1990 movie, personally. And the Nick series is great too. But 2003 is still up there.

shuriken
11-21-2014, 08:39 AM
I never heard anyone else say that so probably. TMNT (03) reminded me more of Jackie Chan Adventures, (artist style and character design). You guys remember that one? It was pretty great

TurtleTitan97
11-21-2014, 11:35 PM
I never heard anyone else say that so probably. TMNT (03) reminded me more of Jackie Chan Adventures, (artist style and character design). You guys remember that one? It was pretty great

Uncle was one of the best parts about that show.:lol:

shuriken
11-21-2014, 11:42 PM
^^ Yup yup. I also liked Toru and the Dragon guy. Need a bit of a refresher but I remember thoroughly enjoying it.

Powder
11-22-2014, 12:45 AM

Totally. I always thought the same thing. & I loved that show, it was/is mad underrated. A shame Jackie didn't voice the role himself, but man, the staff behind that series really nailed his personality. Plus, you've got the uncle played by Sab Shimono AKA Lord Norinaga in the third TMNT film, & Murakami in the Nick toon!

Netkeeper
11-22-2014, 01:04 AM
Totally. I always thought the same thing. & I loved that show, it was/is mad underrated. A shame Jackie didn't voice the role himself, but man, the staff behind that series really nailed his personality. Plus, you've got the uncle played by Sab Shimono AKA Lord Norinaga in the third TMNT film, & Murakami in the Nick toon!
You missed a chance to say "and one moooore thing!"

Wesley
11-22-2014, 09:52 AM

I agree. I thought it was a great cartoon, though I did lose interest in it after the first two seasons. It had a good mix of comedy and action (a bit like tmnt 1987). Each season had an interesting story arc. I liked Valmont and Shendu (the partnership between them reminded me of the partnership that Shredder and Krang had). Hak Foo, Uncle and the Enforcers were funny characters. Too bad the DVDs are out-of-print.

TheSkeletonMan939
11-22-2014, 10:36 AM
The first season-and-a-half of Jackie Chan was great. Otherwise, it's pretty forgettable.

Wesley
11-22-2014, 10:49 AM
The first season-and-a-half of Jackie Chan was great. Otherwise, it's pretty forgettable.

I kinda agree. The best stuff happened in season one I think, but I still enjoyed two as well. The later seasons are boring.

tmntpower1988
11-22-2014, 12:12 PM

The animation in The Batman (2004) looks similar to Jackie Chan Adventures too.

TurtleTitan97
11-22-2014, 12:14 PM
The animation in The Batman (2004) looks similar to Jackie Chan Adventures too.

Didn't the people who worked on that show also worked on Jackie Chan?

tmntpower1988
11-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Didn't the people who worked on that show also worked on Jackie Chan?

Yeah Jeff Matsuda did the character designs for The Batman.

The-Shredder
11-22-2014, 02:28 PM
In fact, all the cartoons mentioned in this thread were produced in part by Dong Woo Animation.

slashpieturtlemix
11-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Sadly there has always been a problem with American animation being cut before any real ending can be made. Every single American animation show on my laptop seems to have ended on a sad cliff hanger (Transformers, Skysurfers Strikeforce, Swamp Thing, Starship Troopers Roughnecks, Mutant League, etc). I actually lean towards Japanese animation when it comes to actually finishing stories. I will even go as far as saying Nagi no Asukara is the most dramatic / beautiful animation I have ever seen. Luckily for all of us, TMNT in general usually gets pretty amazing runs when it comes to series. That is the only real American franchise that I am never really disappointed with.

Netkeeper
11-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Too bad the DVDs are out-of-print.
You can find it on Netflix US.

slashpieturtlemix
11-22-2014, 07:48 PM

Or you can bootle- I mean search for copies on certain sites that have nothing to do with pirates or having a boat with their icon even though they arent at a bay.

Jephael
11-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Just go on eBay. There's a good chance the ones you're looking for will be there.

Davetello
11-23-2014, 02:35 AM
I see The Batman has been mentioned. I seen the first three seasons of that. I don't understand why it's so hated - some very smart storylines and the cop becoming Clayface at the end of the first season is pretty well executed. I also liked the more modern depictions of the likes of Joker and Riddler. In fact, I might binge the entire thing soon.

neatoman
11-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Or you can bootle- I mean search for copies on certain sites that have nothing to do with pirates or having a boat with their icon even though they arent at a bay.

Yes you can, it is still not a perfect solution since it will have some poor quality in spots. It's much more preferable to have a box set.

tmntpower1988
11-23-2014, 03:01 PM
I see The Batman has been mentioned. I seen the first three seasons of that. I don't understand why it's so hated - some very smart storylines and the cop becoming Clayface at the end of the first season is pretty well executed. I also liked the more modern depictions of the likes of Joker and Riddler. In fact, I might binge the entire thing soon.

I noticed that on a few different sites the amount of hatred The Batman gets :o It's a really underrated show. I don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy Batman The Animated Series or The Brave And The Bold but it's still good to watch. Much better than Beware The Batman. The theme song for the first two seasons is great too.

Cure
11-23-2014, 03:38 PM
I don't see it. I liked Spectacular a lot, this not so much.

tmntpower1988
11-23-2014, 05:08 PM
I went ahead and ordered Spectacular Spiderman volumes 1-8 off a few sellers on Amazon. Hopefully it's as good as people say it is. I doubt it's as good as the 2k3 TMNT series though. I'll decide when I watch the DVD's once they arrive. I see that Ultimate Spiderman gets a lot of hate, is the show really that bad? I was thinking about giving that show a watch too.

Bry
11-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Works great for the 2003 series too - and until they decide to put out a boxed set or let it be legally streamed, I feel just fine about filling the gaps in my DVD collection that way.

I went ahead and ordered Spectacular Spiderman volumes 1-8 off a few sellers on Amazon. Hopefully it's as good as people say it is. I doubt it's as good as the 2k3 TMNT series though. I'll decide when I watch the DVD's once they arrive.

It's definitely great. Not everyone's into the art style, but it's well-written and well-performed (Josh Keaton is probably the best Spider-Man voice ever) and totally nails the heart of the characters and their world. I'd recommend it to any Spidey fan.

TurtleTitan97
11-23-2014, 06:10 PM
I see that Ultimate Spiderman gets a lot of hate, is the show really that bad? I was thinking about giving that show a watch too.

Yes, yes it is. Compared to Spectacular, it's pretty bad. If you're a fan of the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, it's probably for the best you avoid it since it's absolutely NOTHING like the comics.

Bry
11-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Yes, yes it is. Compared to Spectacular, it's pretty bad.

I've only seen a few episodes, and I was pretty cold to it. But, like... I can see that maybe if it didn't come out immediately after Spectacular, which was widely loved, maybe it would have been received better. It's definitely a huge drop down for me, though.

I still really wish Disney could have made a deal work where Spectacular would have continued, but they were dead set on relaunching everything under their roof. Greg Weisman's got no luck.

Davetello
11-23-2014, 06:45 PM
I noticed that on a few different sites the amount of hatred The Batman gets :o It's a really underrated show. I don't enjoy it as much as I enjoy Batman The Animated Series or The Brave And The Bold but it's still good to watch. Much better than Beware The Batman. The theme song for the first two seasons is great too.

Yeah, it's easily better than Beware the Batman. Haven't seen The Brave and the Bold yet, but I'm led to believe it's the more campy Batman in tone, so I expect I'd prefer The Batman. I'm certainly gonna marathon all 5 seasons over the coming months.

The theme song is great, yeah, and I really like the animation too.

CyberCubed
11-23-2014, 06:50 PM
The Batman was a bit hit or miss. Its main problem was just coming directly after B:TAS and most people felt it was a downgrade. Whatever came after B:TAS was bound to take a fall.

TurtleTitan97
11-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Yeah, it's easily better than Beware the Batman. Haven't seen The Brave and the Bold yet, but I'm led to believe it's the more campy Batman in tone, so I expect I'd prefer The Batman. I'm certainly gonna marathon all 5 seasons over the coming months.

I gotta disagree. I liked The Batman, but Beware the Batman itself was a pretty great show and vastly underrated.

Bry
11-23-2014, 07:45 PM

Just piping in again to say it's absolutely bizarre to me that there have been three entirely separate Batman cartoons since Batman: The Animated Series.

And then I remember that B:TAS started 22 years ago. Maaaaan.

Davetello
11-23-2014, 07:53 PM
The Batman was a bit hit or miss. Its main problem was just coming directly after B:TAS and most people felt it was a downgrade. Whatever came after B:TAS was bound to take a fall.

I love how obsessed you are with Batman: TAS :lol: Have to agree though, possibly the greatest cartoon ever and every future Batman show would pale in comparison.

I gotta disagree. I liked The Batman, but Beware the Batman itself was a pretty great show and vastly underrated.

Fair enough, it's all opinions and that :) I will perhaps try and watch through most of BtB again to see if I've been unfair.

Just piping in again to say it's absolutely bizarre to me that there have been three entirely separate Batman cartoons since Batman: The Animated Series.

Four. Batman Beyond, The Batman, The Brave and the Bold and Beware The Batman. Although if you're counting BB as part of the DCAU and essentially just a continuation of Batman: TAS, you're right it's only three. Putting those words in italics would suggest that's what you're doing.

CyberCubed
11-23-2014, 10:32 PM

I don't see why that's bizarre, you could say the same thing for TMNT. We've had 3 TMNT cartoons now and the original toon was still making new episodes as late as 1996.

I think some of you don't actually realize how long ago the 90's were now. We're now in 2014, even the early 2000's (2000-2006) is an eternity ago.

Xav
11-23-2014, 10:36 PM
I see that Ultimate Spiderman gets a lot of hate, is the show really that bad? I was thinking about giving that show a watch too.No not at all. People just hate it because it's more light hearted than Spectacular Spiderman. Spectacular is better written but Ultimate is better animated and more fun.

tmntpower1988
11-24-2014, 01:38 AM

Yes The Brave And The Bold is a campy show but it does have some serious/emotional moments too. There were some episodes that had a more serious tone. There was one called Chill Of The Night which felt like a Batman The Animated Series episode. The action scenes in it are great and the comedy is excellent :lol: I'll admit there were times where I enjoyed The Brave And The Bold more than Batman The Animated Series tbh I'm a fan of the 60s Adam West show as well, ordered the complete series DVD set from eBay last night :lol: It's so darn cheesy I love it :lol:

I love how obsessed you are with Batman: TAS :lol: Have to agree though, possibly the greatest cartoon ever and every future Batman show would pale in comparison.

I say Justice League/Justice League Unlimited is the best cartoon. Imo it blows Batman The Animated Series away.

Bry
11-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Four. Batman Beyond, The Batman, The Brave and the Bold and Beware The Batman. Although if you're counting BB as part of the DCAU and essentially just a continuation of Batman: TAS, you're right it's only three. Putting those words in italics would suggest that's what you're doing.

Yeah, I kind of lumped those together, though technically they're separate series (even if Beyond is a sequel). But it's pretty easy to see the whole DCAU as one big series, in a way.

I don't see why that's bizarre, you could say the same thing for TMNT. We've had 3 TMNT cartoons now and the original toon was still making new episodes as late as 1996.

I think some of you don't actually realize how long ago the 90's were now. We're now in 2014, even the early 2000's (2000-2006) is an eternity ago.

...and thus the realization that 22 years have passed, yes. That was sort of the point.

Though it feels they tend to reboot/relaunch franchises a lot quicker than they used to. Each successive Batman cartoon launched almost immediately after the previous one ended, and the gap between TMNT 2003 and the Nick show was pretty short too.

Then again - funny to think that only seven years between the end of the '87 cartoon in 1996 and the launch of the 2003 series. It felt like an eternity at the time, but that's really not too long at all. And counting The Next Mutation, the TMNT property's only been off the air for nine years total since 1987.

Wesley
11-24-2014, 10:42 AM

There's no need. Jackie Chan Adventures is regularly re-run on rte two. I also re-watched the first two seasons on Jetix years ago anyway.

Wesley
11-24-2014, 10:49 AM
When Spectactular Spiderman was on tv, I watched a few episodes of it every now and then (mainly the ones centring around Venom and the Green Goblin). I didn't pay too much attention to the plot, so I didn't know what was going on most of the time. I thought the cartoon was starting to get really good in season two when it was cancelled.

Davetello
11-24-2014, 05:49 PM
I say Justice League/Justice League Unlimited is the best cartoon. Imo it blows Batman The Animated Series away.

I know what you mean. But Batman TAS predates Justice League by 9 years. If you think about it Batman TAS was well ahead of its time & really set the standard for what superhero shows could be. JL probably outdoes it but that's because Batman paved the way for it. I suppose you could say Batman was more of a street level crime drama & JL was more ambitious in terms of the outerworld stories.

Of course, Superman came between them. That show was also excellent, but not as good as those two. As for Batman Beyond, it was fantastic as well.

ToTheNines
12-07-2014, 06:41 AM
Spectacular Spider-Man was the best of everything rolled into one. The 4kids show is Mirage-lite.

snake
12-07-2014, 09:20 AM

A lot of people didn't like the designs for the villains in The Batman. I loved them, even Joker. The only one I had a problem with was Bane.

tmntpower1988
12-07-2014, 10:40 AM
A lot of people didn't like the designs for the villains in The Batman. I loved them, even Joker. The only one I had a problem with was Bane.

Yeah people hated the show because Riddler looked like Marilyn Manson and Joker looked like a Jamaican and moved like a gorilla :lol:

tmntpower1988
12-11-2014, 04:51 PM
I've watched 3 episodes of Spectacular Spider-man so far. It's better than I expected. Not as good as 2k3 TMNT imo but still a good show.

shuriken
12-11-2014, 06:42 PM
The Batman was pretty cool. I loved all of the different interpretations of the villains and characters. Except how Bane looked. Dude looked like a huge ball of meat.
The New Clayface being agent Bennet was just so sad. That and Spectacular Spiderman were great. I mean until it pretty much became Super Friends with all of the other Super Hero Cameos.

tmntpower1988
12-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Just finished watching the last episode of Spectacular Spiderman. Was a great final episode. I still think TMNT 2k3 is the better show imo. I'm starting to watch Ultimate Spiderman tomorrow see if it's as bad as everyone says it is :lol::lol::lol:

k_lala
12-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Also you can compare this show to Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. GREAT show that got cancelled, rebooted, and replaced by a lamer show that left everyone frustrated and scratching their heads.