PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo

Davetello
11-20-2014, 08:17 AM
I didn't see a topic for this, and even if there is one it's better to create something fresh.

For those who don't know, Vertigo is the imprint of DC Comics which deals with more mature stuff. Have you read anything from Vertigo? I've read Preacher, almost all of Fables (so far) and Y: The Last Man. I've also read about half of 100 Bullets. I'd like to read DMZ, American Vampire, Scalped and Sandman in future. Hellblazer looks great as well but it's a massive undertaking at 300 issues or so.

I'd say that Fables has been my favourite of the books I've read. It's just stunning. Preacher is also great, and Y: The Last Man has an interesting premise and is well worth a read too.

Davetello
11-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Surprised nobody reads any Vertigo stuff. Fair play, was worth asking.

pennydreadful
11-24-2014, 03:45 AM
I was holding off on answering this til I had a chance to check through what I've read in the other halfs' collection.

I've read:

- Hellblazer
- Preacher
- Bite Club
- some of Fables, not all
- Transmetropolitan
- both Death miniseries
- American Virgin
- Demo
- We 3
- Dhampire: Stillborn

... I think that's about it.

Leo656
11-24-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm a big fan of Preacher but I honestly only read the first three trades worth so far. I'm definitely going to buy and read the rest of it I just keep getting distracted. I loved what I read of it though. It's up there with Watchmen as far as being a life-changer of a read.

Possibly more people aren't vocal because, as I've noticed, most people here are of the "The only comics I read are TMNT comics" variety. Just a guess. Which is a shame, because much as I love TMNT, comparing TMNT comics to most others, well... mileage may vary, but they're not that great, on the whole.

Just a theory on why this thread (and most other comic threads) is so quiet.

Davetello
11-24-2014, 03:37 PM
I was holding off on answering this til I had a chance to check through what I've read in the other halfs' collection.

I've read:

- Hellblazer
- Preacher
- Bite Club
- some of Fables, not all
- Transmetropolitan
- both Death miniseries
- American Virgin
- Demo
- We 3
- Dhampire: Stillborn

... I think that's about it.

Preacher and Fables are both sensational, as I say. I have heard of American Virgin but it doesn't really interest me. That's an impressive collection that your man has, however.

I'm a big fan of Preacher but I honestly only read the first three trades worth so far. I'm definitely going to buy and read the rest of it I just keep getting distracted. I loved what I read of it though. It's up there with Watchmen as far as being a life-changer of a read.

Possibly more people aren't vocal because, as I've noticed, most people here are of the "The only comics I read are TMNT comics" variety. Just a guess. Which is a shame, because much as I love TMNT, comparing TMNT comics to most others, well... mileage may vary, but they're not that great, on the whole.

Just a theory on why this thread (and most other comic threads) is so quiet.

Preacher is only 66 issues (minus the graphic novels) so it's pretty easy to get through, assuming you can afford the trades. Honestly, some of the religious aspects with the Saint of Killers can be a bit much at times, but the stories about Arseface and such things as the KKK are fantastic. It's been two years since I read it though so I'm rusty and due a re-read. Watchmen obviously speaks for itself.

That might be a good theory, I never even considered that. Why do you think that might be? I mean most people on here have interest in stuff like cartoons and superheroes, so why does that not always translate to comics? There are some comic enthusiasts here but, as you say, they're a minority. I know that Cyber Cubed only reads turtles and usagi comics, & I always wondered why he never delved into stuff like Batman despite him loving Bats in cartoon, film etc.

I know what you mean about the turtles comics. Don't get me wrong, I love Mirage and what I have read of IDW. But obviously, objectively speaking, it's not exactly the pinnacle of the comic medium. What it did do for me though was act as a gateway into comics. I don't think I'd ever properly read a comic until I read Mirage aged 24. Since then I've devled into DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse etc. So I will always owe my appreciation for comics to Mirage. Perhaps I'd have found my way into comics anyway but the way it worked out, Mirage was my gateway.

pennydreadful
11-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Preacher and Fables are both sensational, as I say. I have heard of American Virgin but it doesn't really interest me. That's an impressive collection that your man has, however.

He has an entire room which is basically just wall-to-wall shelving for his comics and figures. It's kinda scary, so I don't go in there. :lol: The plus side is I can tell him to order stuff for me and he just gets it and sets it aside for when I one day have time to read it (*side-eyes the pile of IDW Turtles comics I shamefully haven't read yet*). :fshifty: I'm so slack.

I dunno, I don't consider myself very knowledgeable about the world of comics - most of the stuff I've read has been non-DC/non-Marvel; I'm more likely to pick up something Vertigo, Image, Dark Horse, indie or yaoi stuff etc. I will say one thing that's bugged me about comics in the past is that you can have a really awful writer on-board and all this terrible stuff gets written into the canon. I don't know why, that's always just been a particular thing that's driven me nuts and made me want to tear my hair out.

Davetello
11-24-2014, 04:38 PM
He has an entire room which is basically just wall-to-wall shelving for his comics and figures. It's kinda scary, so I don't go in there. :lol: The plus side is I can tell him to order stuff for me and he just gets it and sets it aside for when I one day have time to read it (*side-eyes the pile of IDW Turtles comics I shamefully haven't read yet*). :fshifty: I'm so slack.

I dunno, I don't consider myself very knowledgeable about the world of comics - most of the stuff I've read has been non-DC/non-Marvel; I'm more likely to pick up something Vertigo, Image, Dark Horse, indie or yaoi stuff etc. I will say one thing that's bugged me about comics in the past is that you can have a really awful writer on-board and all this terrible stuff gets written into the canon. I don't know why, that's always just been a particular thing that's driven me nuts and made me want to tear my hair out.

Haha, I'd love to have the storage space for something like that :-? Sounds like he's got it all planned out. I read a lot of my stuff on my tablet but I have some stuff in printed form.

Yeah, the superhero stuff can be awkward because of all the multiverses etc. I am far from an expert on all that stuff. If you ever wanna get into Marvel though you should get Marvel Unlimited (see my other topic). They have entire runs of Miller, Bendis and Brubaker's Dardevil, the Ultimate imprint i.e. Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate X-Men etc, Brubaker's run on Captain America, and lots more. They have about 14,000 comic book issues on there, which for the subscription price is excellent. More being added all the time as well.

With it coming up to Xmas they will probably be doing a discount for the annual package. I really like using MU on my tablet so I'm always enthusiastic in recommending to others.

Leo656
11-24-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm not entirely sure why more people here don't read comics, although I have a few theories. Firstly, mainstream comics are very expansive and very dense with mythology, which can be intimidating, especially with all the retcons, reboots, and stuff like this New 52 junk. Most of my friends love comic book cartoons and movies, they really love the characters, or the idea of the characters, but NEVER read any comics unless I "assign" them some, because they always say "I don't know where to start". I can understand that. It's also become a ridiculously expensive hobby and I don't think it's in any way justifiable anymore. I used to pick up about 50 books a month, now sh*t's like 4 bucks an issue on average, ever since they started using glossy paper and all those "high-tech" computer inking techniques they tack another dollar on the price every two years at most. I'unno, regular newsprint and a $1.75 price point worked just fine for me, and seemed about as far as could be justified on a comic book. Was just fine for years and years and years. They cry about how "nobody reads comics anymore" but they've completely strip-mined the foundation and ruined it for the next generation, Kids. Comics has always needed to refresh its audience, and they can't do it anymore. I don't know ONE parent who will give their kid four goddamn dollars to spend on ONE comic book. I love comics but I f*cking hate the industry.

The other theory I have on why more TMNT fans don't read comics, and this is a little more of "just" a theory, or a gut feeling, and that theory is that SO many fans don't just Like TMNT, they outright deify it, and elevate it over other things. There are SO many people who don't just "not read" comics, or get familiar with super-heroes and the like, they say they have Zero interest in ever doing so. That kind of tells me, they want to keep TMNT up on that pedestal in their minds, and they know, deep down, that would be outright impossible to do once they were exposed to stuff like, say, "Watchmen" just as an example. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love TMNT, but some people really act like it's this terrific book, or that it elevated the comic book art form, and it really isn't any of that. At its Best, the books were good, and at their worst, they're pablum, and that goes for every comic version from Mirage across the board. But even at its best, it's still just a Niche Book. Nobody could seriously put even the best TMNT stuff beside Watchmen or Preacher or V For Vendetta and say it's on the same level. It's just Not.

So, those are my theories. :) As for why I stopped collecting, it's mostly all about money, although DC hasn't been giving me anything worth buying in a few years now. I keep up with what's going on storyline-wise through websites and the like, but I've yet to come across anything that DOESN'T make me say "Wow, what a horrible idea." They really did a great job ruining everything they were building from 2005-2010. I have zero interest in it. When I get back into collecting, I'm going to focus on filling in the holes in my collection pre-New 52... and picking up those Preacher trades, of course. :)

PangolinFeets
11-24-2014, 08:52 PM
I love Sandman, just starting reading Hinterlands, and I'm interested in picking up Fables since I loved The Wolf Among Us.

I can't think of anything else Vertigo does that I'm really into (Unless you count Primal Rage's Vertigo, cause shes my fav. Nyuk Nyuk)
Aside from TMNT, I mostly read material from Image and Marvel.

Davetello
11-28-2014, 02:14 PM
I think all of the above makes sense, Leo.

I love Sandman, just starting reading Hinterlands, and I'm interested in picking up Fables since I loved The Wolf Among Us.

I can't think of anything else Vertigo does that I'm really into (Unless you count Primal Rage's Vertigo, cause shes my fav. Nyuk Nyuk)
Aside from TMNT, I mostly read material from Image and Marvel.

Fables is fantastic, you will certainly enjoy it. I read the majority of it through the summer via my tablet while the World Cup was on. Given that you liked TWAU I can guarantee you'd love Fables, especially the earlier stuff.

Jack of Fables (spin-off) is pretty neat as well but I've only read 2 volumes of that.

Leo656
11-28-2014, 03:03 PM
I have a ton of Fables comics but I got into it late and haven't picked up the beginning yet so I've been putting it off. I'll get to it, I promise. :)

I'm definitely going to play the game that's out, but I'm a big fan of Telltale's style of games in general. I don't know if having read the books would make "The Wolf Among Us" any better or worse, I don't know much about it other than I plan to play it.

Davetello
11-28-2014, 11:12 PM
I have a ton of Fables comics but I got into it late and haven't picked up the beginning yet so I've been putting it off. I'll get to it, I promise. :)

I'm definitely going to play the game that's out, but I'm a big fan of Telltale's style of games in general. I don't know if having read the books would make "The Wolf Among Us" any better or worse, I don't know much about it other than I plan to play it.

Haven't played TWAU yet, but I did complete the first season of The Walking Dead. It was an excellent game, but I played it as the episodes were released so not quite as much fun as playing the entire thing through over a few nights, possibly.

Leo656
11-28-2014, 11:41 PM
I played that, I killed it in a weekend, couldn't put it down. I also loved their Back to the Future game and the Jurassic Park one is on the shelf right over there. We'll be getting their Game of Thrones game when it comes out soon, as well. I just really like the way Telltale does games.

I'm the opposite, though, I wait until the full game is out and play it straight through so I can get the full experience. But then I usually am more a "physical medium first" kind of guy. I get 99% of my games on disc rather than download.

Davetello
11-30-2014, 03:23 AM
Yeah, the first season is fantastic. I'm not really interested in the Back to the Future game but I would like to play the Jurassic Park game and the upcoming Game of Thrones one you allude to.

I don't mind digital, I've played some games on PS Plus and I've bought some titles on PSN. I'm aware that they could remove PSN one day and I wouldn't be able to access the titles again if my hard drive corrupted, but meh.

So much entertainment, so little time. As always.

discordiatookie
12-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Hmm, I've read all of Sandman (but not all of the spin-offs or the most recent comic yet) and it is amazing. Read some of The Dreaming and a couple of the Death books but have yet to get them all.

I've got the first 3 or 4 trades of Preacher that I picked up from a 2nd hand bookstore. Really liked it but can ill afford to collect the rest at the moment. V for Vendetta is awesome, I've got a signed and sketched hardback from when the artist David Lloyd visited my LCS.

Guy I used to work with would always rave about Y: The Last Man, but I was working my way through collecting Sandman at the time. Would love to pick up some more books. It my financial situation isn't great at the moment and when I do visit my LCS its to pick up single issues that I collect. (Mainly TMNT, Invincible, Walking Dead, Dark Tower, couple of others I can't think of right now...)