PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Northampton episodes in 4kids?

CyberCubed
11-23-2014, 04:58 PM
In the 4kids series they actually went up to Northampton in almost every season, so it wasn't just a single arc.

We had the two episodes in Season 1, "Tales of Leo" and "The Monster Hunter."

Season 2 had, "Reflections" and "Return of the Justice Force"

Season 3 had, "H.A.T.E."

Season 4 had, "Cousin Sid," "The People's Choice," "Sons of the Silent Age," "I, Monster."

Season 7 had, "Wedding Bells and Bytes."

I have to say my favorite was The Rat King episode, but I also really liked "HATE" and how they worked it into the Triceraton invasion. Tales of Leo was also good too.

Davetello
11-23-2014, 07:55 PM
I really enjoyed all of the early season 4 eps. They were excellent adaptations of the comics for the most part, and the added dimension of the turtles having just defeated Shredder and being all beaten up added layers to the character development. It was also the first we got to see of Leo's turmoil, perhaps best exemplified in those early eps with the way he goes mental on the Rat King.

H.A.T.E. was great in season 3, as you say. Nice adaptation of C.R.A.P. and it was nice to see the "Casey's Mom" part of the story. It was also a rare Don/Raph team up, which I really liked.

Reflections was just a clip show, but it was great to see the turtles blinded by their masks - nice little homage to the original film there.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Justice Force, to be honest. Thought it was a pretty cheap rip-off of the Justice League - it wasn't one of my favourite Mirage stories if I recall correctly. Most of us didn't enjoy "The Monster Hunter", from what I remember, although the best part of that ep was Raph helping Leo to mend his swords and offering him words of encouragement. "Tales of Leo" before that was obviously fantastic and we had our first introduction to the turtle tots and the farmhouse, which were very special.

"Wedding Bells and Bytes" was strange. It should have been great as the series finale, but I don't think it was particularly good until the last few minutes (where it's quite tear-jerking as everyone watches on as Casey and April are pronounced man and wife). Overall, it seemed like the entire episode was just a way to get to that 30 second - 1 minute moment. I didn't particularly enjoy it, strangely.

Overall, though, I'm a sucker for stories set in Northampton. There's something about that secluded, rural New England setting which really appeals to me. I don't know why, it just does, and to see it in animation was thrilling.

jenna
11-24-2014, 02:07 PM
H.A.T.E was a great episode. The following elements particularly drew me in:

- Humour. It's a funny episode! Mikey and Raph shooting arrows at apples in Don's head; Leo and Splinter; the way Mikey laughs when he throws an apple at the HATE dude from the tree and the way he's narrating his motorcycle journey

- martial arts. Raph catching the arrow in his hand was cool.

- it has soul - Don trying to save the injured man and Mikey watching the hospital staff find him from round the corner :)

- high stakes - nuclear weapon

- realistic. The HATE group were very plausible.

Definitely my favourite Northampton episode.

The Big Bad
11-30-2014, 09:57 AM
"I, Monster" isn't a Northampton episode. Like with the first Nobody episode, the TV creators moved the setting from Massachusetts to New York, in this case the very outskirts of the city, not far from where the Slayer washed up after the events of "Bishop's Gambit". You can see the city in the distance in some of the establishing shots.

Which makes me think: we never did see all that much of the actual city of Northampton in the cartoon, did we? We saw Steve Steel's comic book shop, but aside from that, most of the action was set in the country at or near Casey's Grandma's farm. It's a rather notable difference from the books, which had a considerable number of episodes take place in the urban area, or in nearby Springfield.

In any case, I'm going to go and say "Monster Hunter". That episode needs some love.

snake
11-30-2014, 11:46 AM
H.A.T.E was awesome. The rest are all okay, but not bad at all.

Jephael
11-30-2014, 02:00 PM
"The People's Choice" is my favorite of those episodes not just because it showcased the Turtles' compassion for other beings, but it was a great adaptation of one of my favorite issues of the original Mirage comics!

pennydreadful
11-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Yeah, the perverse part of me is going to say Monster Hunter - like Big Bad said, that episode needs some love, and I always liked it.

ps - PAAAARKEEEEEERRRR! :trazz:

ABrown
12-02-2014, 04:58 PM
"I, Monster" isn't a Northampton episode.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I saw it listed with the other episodes.

Heck, I'll take any of these 4Kids episodes over the never ending arc that the Nick series currently has going.

CyberCubed
12-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Heck, I'll take any of these 4Kids episodes over the never ending arc that the Nick series currently has going.

The Nick arc is only 7 episodes so far.

Davetello
12-03-2014, 03:47 AM
As I say, I enjoyed them all. I was always partial to Cousin Sid though. I don't know if it's because I went back and read the comic and really enjoyed it, or because it's nice to see another glimpse into Casey's family (as with his mother in H.A.T.E.). Or it could be because it's the first episode post-Exodus and the first we see of the turtles's recuperation. The first ep of a new season is always special.

ABrown
12-03-2014, 12:46 PM

My mistake, ONLY seven episodes for a story arc that should take about three episodes. Heck, I think that the 4Kids series had the turtles return to New York after I think 2 episodes.

tmntpower1988
12-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I saw it listed with the other episodes.

Tbh I'd rather take any Next Mutation episode over the Northampton Nick episodes. I just can't get into the recent episodes at all. Was watching the Race with the Demon episode the other day and kept getting temptations to turn it off. Had to really force myself to watch it.

The Big Bad
12-03-2014, 08:25 PM

Note, though, that "only" seven episodes means one fifth to one third of the season, and seven episodes in which the main plotlines have all been paused without cause. Also important is the fact that these aren't seven episodes across seven weeks, but also involve several breaks. Given all of this, frustration is perfectly natural. Heck, think back to the "Turtles in Space" arc, which was five episodes long, wasn't interrupted, and was better connected to the events happening back on Earth, insofar as the turtles acknowledged everything they'd left behind; people got frustrated back then, too.

CyberCubed
12-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Note, though, that "only" seven episodes means one fifth to one third of the season, and seven episodes in which the main plotlines have all been paused without cause. Also important is the fact that these aren't seven episodes across seven weeks, but also involve several breaks. Given all of this, frustration is perfectly natural. Heck, think back to the "Turtles in Space" arc, which was five episodes long, wasn't interrupted, and was better connected to the events happening back on Earth, insofar as the turtles acknowledged everything they'd left behind; people got frustrated back then, too.

When episodes air on TV with long breaks people complain, but after all the eps are aired and done and people rewatch it on DVD or online the breaks obviously don't matter because you can watch many episodes a day.

People always complain when the Turtles go somewhere outside of NYC, saying "When are they going to get home?" They did the same thing in 4kids when Ultimate Draco zapped them to different dimensions for 5 episodes, or Fast Forward, or Turtles in Space, etc.

This fandom doesn't like the Turtles taken out of their element for some odd reason. The moment they go into space, travel through time, leave NYC....people beg for them to return. How odd.

pennydreadful
12-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Really? I loved the Turtles in space. Guess I'm the odd one out there... :-?

The Big Bad
12-04-2014, 10:48 PM
It's one those arcs that feels better in retrospect, once one can watch it at one's leisure and knows how it ends. Watching it at a pace of one episode a week, it can feel somewhat grueling, particularly since a lot of it is moving pieces around the board without much advancement or things to say. They're fun, but they're not much more than that.

Jephael
12-05-2014, 11:18 AM
People always complain when the Turtles go somewhere outside of NYC, saying "When are they going to get home?"

Funny that you mention it, because in the original cartoon that's were they always were (with the exception of the Europe episodes of course). Even if they ended up in another dimension or on a distant planet, they always wound up back home in the sewers.

k_lala
12-05-2014, 03:48 PM
I find it funny every time they visited that place something insane happened. Yet when no one lived there nothing ever happened. What's the odds a Alien would crash land on that exact spot the weekend the turtles spend a night there. Yet the Casey's have been living there forever and the craziest thing thats probably happened were probably seeing a deer or bear in the woods. Lol.

tmntpower1988
12-05-2014, 08:22 PM
I find it funny every time they visited that place something insane happened. Yet when no one lived there nothing ever happened. What's the odds a Alien would crash land on that exact spot the weekend the turtles spend a night there. Yet the Casey's have been living there forever and the craziest thing thats probably happened were probably seeing a deer or bear in the woods. Lol.

The turtles have a thing for attracting craziness lol

ToTheNines
12-07-2014, 07:43 AM
My mistake, ONLY seven episodes for a story arc that should take about three episodes. Heck, I think that the 4Kids series had the turtles return to New York after I think 2 episodes.

They were there for 2 years in the comics.

ABrown
12-07-2014, 08:16 PM
They were there for 2 years in the comics.

The characters were there for two years, or they were there for two years worth of comics?

ToTheNines
12-08-2014, 05:51 AM
Both, actually.